Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
What's Rolex got that, say, Blancpain hasn't? Brand value? Recognisability?

It's not reverse snobbery on my part Rolex designs have never spoken to me. Also, I cannot fathom some people's disproportionate adoration for Rolex. (Why not Blancpain?)

At this price point, many companies make superb timepiece. And I prefer a watch that goes under the radar. Even if Santa gave me a Rolex, I'd feel uncomfortable wearing one because Rolex is the one brand that's most recognisably-expensive.

With one exception (a WIS friend of mine), everyone I know with a Rolex bought the brand for the wrong reason. It's to show off that they've 'made it'. They all bought the brand, not the watch. And this showiness taints Rolex for many of us.
I have a blancpain FF tribute to milspec. 2018 barely worn.
Currently languishing in blancpains service centre for a full service after the crown wouldn't screw down (needs replacing w/ tube) and the movement was declared to be dry, and running at poor amplitude.

Meanwhile ive got rolexes that are 42, 31, 12 which have run and run. I know for sure that the 12 year old has never been serviced and it runs at 0/0

Our watchmaker cheerfully describes Rolex as tractor movements, and he's right. Not fancy, not technical, run and run without major issue.
That is what I favour over beautifully finished, technical, delicate movements with more to go wrong.