TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 169 of 363 FirstFirst ... 69119159167168169170171179219269 ... LastLast
Results 8,401 to 8,450 of 18122

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Unless they’re on a Harley..😈😈

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    You do get used to the bar width with time. I commute round the M25, well did before COVID hit, and filter regularly. I have to confess I did ding a few car mirrors whilst learning though. Not proud of it but it was my first bike without clipons!
    I found when I first got my Tiger that the mirrors were at exactly the wrong height, for clipping van mirrors. Fortunately I found the bars too low so fitted the xc risers and then added another 20mm with SW motech risers. So well into the clipping zone now but it made it easier for me to remember this fact.
    Then I didn't like the width of the bars as I felt my arms were splayed too far out. Trimmed with a plumbers pipe cutter by 13mm each end made a world of difference - less jiggling when the gaps get narrower.

Master
    Blimey we are less than a week away from Christmas, it’s pouring down with rain outside 3 Deg C and just 24 hours after last logging on I still have to refresh two pages off this thread! Got to be one of the best on TZ ! Happy Christmas bikers.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Blimey we are less than a week away from Christmas, it’s pouring down with rain outside 3 Deg C and just 24 hours after last logging on I still have to refresh two pages off this thread! Got to be one of the best on TZ ! Happy Christmas bikers.

Steve
    Happy Christmas to you and yours, Steve!

Blog Entries
    Unless they’re on a Harley..😈😈
    Ha ha. Funny thing is when I had the Harley most other bikers never acknowledged me. Now I’m on the Enfield and it’s back to nodding and waving.
    Must admit to making sure I always nodded or waved when I was on the Harley just to see the reaction!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master

Snapped last week when a friend visited the island and we took a ride out. A bit chilly but always lovely to ride up above the cloud line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Ha ha. Funny thing is when I had the Harley most other bikers never acknowledged me. Now I’m on the Enfield and it’s back to nodding and waving.
    Must admit to making sure I always nodded or waved when I was on the Harley just to see the reaction!
    That’s exactly what I do. Wave like a loon, especially at riders on sports bikes. It does seem to confuse them

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    On the GS I tend to get off the beaten track and enjoy the smaller lanes enjoying the freedom rather than the speed.

Exactly the same as me. The Dales single track roads.

Master
    Having a pin head comes in handy....

Managed to pick up a £300+ helmet on eBay for £169... didn’t really need it but it’s a nice match for the Speedmaster so why not?🤪

Craftsman
    Well done.
    But you can always find helmet bargains in the XS size.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalic Mud View Post
    Well done.
    But you can always find helmet bargains in the XS size.
    To be fair I’ve not seen any Shark Carbon at this price before even in XS....

On another note, I’ve just been out for 2 hours in 2 to 3 degrees C.. if anyone has any doubts about the effectiveness of the Rukka X down liner, I’m here to tell you it flipping brilliant.

I wore a base layer, then the x down and then my Dainese Carvmaster and I can honestly say I’ve never been warmer in those conditions. How it manages to be so effective I’ve no idea as it weighs nothing and is as thin as a tissue. But work it does. Best £150 quid I’ve spent on trying to keep warm in winter.

On another note, I’ve just been out for 2 hours in 2 to 3 degrees C.. if anyone has any doubts about the effectiveness of the Rukka X down liner, I’m here to tell you it flipping brilliant.
    I dug mine out a few days ago; thankfully it still fits!

Master
    Rukka gear is simply the best. It may not be the most stylish but it’s my go to gear in the cold. I’ve got jacket, trousers and gloves that are 20 years old and still the warmest stuff I own.
    Trust the Finnish to know a thing or two about keeping warm.

Conversely they also do some of the best gear for super warm weather. The Forsair gloves are excellent, as is the jacket apparently (although I don’t own it myself)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brandersnatch View Post
    That’s exactly what I do. Wave like a loon, especially at riders on sports bikes. It does seem to confuse them
    Ha ha ha, you could be right! It was normally the race rep style with the huge knee sliders and humpty backs who seemed to ignore me, but then they were probably too busy concentrating on the lean angle for the next corner to worry about waving at a herbert on a Harley!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

A thumbs up for Rukka, it ain't cheap or stylish but it's warm and dry!

Master

I wore a base layer, then the x down and then my Dainese Carvmaster and I can honestly say I’ve never been warmer in those conditions. How it manages to be so effective I’ve no idea as it weighs nothing and is as thin as a tissue. But work it does. Best £150 quid I’ve spent on trying to keep warm in winter.
    Get the matching pants. Then you'll know what good feels like.

I have these liners in my Rukka Nivala. They are ace.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    Rukka gear is simply the best. It may not be the most stylish but it’s my go to gear in the cold. I’ve got jacket, trousers and gloves that are 20 years old and still the warmest stuff I own.
    Trust the Finnish to know a thing or two about keeping warm.

Conversely they also do some of the best gear for super warm weather. The Forsair gloves are excellent, as is the jacket apparently (although I don’t own it myself)
    For what I’ve spent on other lesser gear, I could have easily bought top of the range rukka gear and had change left over...

My Dainese stuff is top of their line and is good enough, but when I started riding again just over 2 years ago my A level in hindsight was missing.

Can’t justify dumping my present gear just yet, but when it does wear out, I’ll be heading for the Rukka store.👍

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    Get the matching pants. Then you'll know what good feels like.

I have these liners in my Rukka Nivala. They are ace.
    To be fair, my Dainese Carvmaster 2 pants are spot on. Plenty warm enough, thermal lined, Gortex and well fitting. The lack of pockets is frustrating, but as a trouser for cold wet weather I can’t complain..👍

Master

Andrew folk venture to both poles trusting in the warmth of down. I used to work as supplier to Rab Carrington of Rab clothing, he had people exploring our little planet in minus 35/40 deg C as a day job!

Master

More bike related stuff

Had Rukka top of the line Arma-S stuff before (before the Nivala). Quite frankly, it is not as good as Klim - especially if you ride in warmer climate where venting is as important as Goretex Pro waterproofing. I ended up selling my Rukka gear on ebay after multiple warranty claims for failing waterproofing, fading fabrics, and failing zippers.

Rukka is good/popular in cold climates but it lacks the features and detailing of true round-the-world gear. And at the price you pay for Rukka, Klim and Stadler are better performing and featured for the same/equivalent pricing.

And if you believe the folk who sell Rukka, Klim, Stadler, and Halvarssons... Stadler - as used by ze German polizei - is also better than Rukka according to the people at Motolegends.

Master
    Rukka is expensive and they do not stand by the guarantee. I have zip break in week one and DGR seems fall apart in trousers week 2. Suit cost me £1400 and they wouldn’t honour the guarantee and said The damage was abrasion damage.

Rukka head office will not get involved and the U.K. distributor lied and said they inspected . The dealer confirmed he hadn’t sent them to the distributor.

I use Klim now sourced from Germany and it’s excellent kit. It’s also frequently discounted by fc-moto, etc.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Rukka is expensive and they do not stand by the guarantee. I have zip break in week one and DGR seems fall apart in trousers week 2. Suit cost me £1400 and they wouldn’t honour the guarantee and said The damage was abrasion damage.

Rukka head office will not get involved and the U.K. distributor lied and said they inspected . The dealer confirmed he hadn’t sent them to the distributor.

I use Klim now sourced from Germany and it’s excellent kit. It’s also frequently discounted by fc-moto, etc.
    I bought a Klim Badlands jacket in January 19 in the sale , it was still £600 , a withering price. But as has been said before , gore tex pro bomb proof material and is nice and cool in the summer and allows me to layer up in the winter / autumn. Ps dryer than a dry thing , but then again my BMW Rallye suit never let in.

I imagine that what you meant to say was "Rukka is expensive and in my case they did not stand by the guarantee"?

I haven't experienced any problems with my gear but I do know others who have (as can happen with any product) and where Rukka have stood by their guarantee.

If they fail in week 1 and 2, your argument is with the retailer not with the manufacturer. You were fobbed off.

Master
    Andrew folk venture to both poles trusting in the warmth of down. I used to work as supplier to Rab Carrington of Rab clothing, he had people exploring our little planet in minus 35/40 deg C as a day job!
    Yep... when I was young and mad and did the dragon rally etc, I invested in a down sleeping bag and it was superb. But somewhat bulky. The thing that surprised me today is just how light and thin the Xdown is. I honestly didn’t expect it to be as effective as it was.

When I look at the quality and specs of modern gear from the manufacturers mentioned above it’s obvious things have moved on a a great deal from my early days of jeans long johns and a leather jacket over a woollen jumper.. mind you, I didn’t feel the cold back then like I do today🤪🤔

Master
    Merry Christmas all. Did a Santa sleigh run on the Duc in the dry and sunny conditions after it was returned fresh from its annual service, MOT, and fresh tyres. It was just epic being reminded of what 193rwhp, 106lbs ft torque and 159kg equates to when running through open 70mm Termis. Life affirming. Wishing all you bikers a safe and merry Christmas filled with much joy and... braaaappp!

43 years on 2 wheels and never had a Husqvarna before!
    got this little monster arriving in January to keep the R9T Urban GS company.It's a 701 Enduro
    It's replacing my Trusty DRZ400 (of which I've had a few..) and will receive a few minor mods over the next year or so. Considered the FE501 or KTM 500EXC which are great fun but a little more flighty and have a 600mile oil change plus other servicing commitments that ruled them out for me.
    Last edited by GOAT; 25th December 2020 at 11:48.

Master
    Brilliant! Like a drz on steroids. My DRZ was probably my favourite ever bike. That Husky looks like an absolute hoot. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    43 years on 2 wheels and never had a Husqvarna before!
    got this little monster arriving in January to keep the R9T Urban GS company.It's a 701 Enduro
    It's replacing my Trusty DRZ400 (of which I've had a few..) and will receive a few minor mods over the next year or so. Considered the FE501 or KTM 500EXC which are great fun but a little more flighty and have a 600mile oil change plus other servicing commitments that ruled them out for me.
    Really like that Goat. I looked at one but got KXF450 in a good deal, truly mental and though road legal only really suitable for track. Fortunately there is a great mx track literally 10 minsfrom my house. A service every 10 hours makes it expensive.
    Actually looking for something more useable now. Please post how you get on. It looks great!

Master
    20% off full priced clothing and helmets at M&P Direct. Use code XMAS2020X

https://www.mandp.co.uk/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    Merry Christmas all. Did a Santa sleigh run on the Duc in the dry and sunny conditions after it was returned fresh from its annual service, MOT, and fresh tyres. It was just epic being reminded of what 193rwhp, 106lbs ft torque and 159kg equates to when running through open 70mm Termis. Life affirming. Wishing all you bikers a safe and merry Christmas filled with much joy and... braaaappp!

No wonder Santa gets around all the children’s homes, he rides a Ducati! Lovely bike.

Master
    15% off helmets at Urban Rider until midnight with code ‘Doves’
    Says that it excludes sales items, but it just worked for me on a Biltwell lid that already had 50% off in their sale.

Happy Christmas TZ bikers! Has anyone got any recommendations for boots? I currently ride an R1200 gs and use my old sidi sports boots (vertigo 2 I think but they are at least 15 years old and the soles are going).

I’m not after adventure boots but something for all round use, commuting, and touring across Europe. I’m being optimistic that the world will go back to normal (ish) next year as I have a ride to the south of France planned. So waterproof but not too hot. Anyone tried the sidi aria?

Thanks all, and hope you’ve got out more than I have in the last few weeks!

Master
    No wonder Santa gets around all the children’s homes, he rides a Ducati! Lovely bike.
    :)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Happy Christmas TZ bikers! Has anyone got any recommendations for boots?
    Hi Matt, merry Christmas. I've been really happy with Sidi Canyon GTXs. Now on my second pair. it has been an excellent hybrid: sole and foot of an adv boot, Goretex, and with a lighter weight upper/calf that is not as bulky or tall as an adv boot. Canyons have provided me many years and miles of waterproof comfort across Europe.

Motolegends de-lists Bell helmets

Their statement:

Bell is the most famous name in the motorcycle apparel arena. The company invented the open-face helmet as we know it today. They then invented the full-face helmet, and then the off-road helmet. But the path that Bell is now taking with its retro collection is not one we want to accompany them down.

Bell is all about style; and whilst we still offer some of the coolest gear on the planet, we are no longer prepared to put form ahead of function. There’s nothing wrong with Bell’s helmets, but these days, even though you might have to pay a bit more, there are helmets that are nicer to wear and that are, let’s say, better performing from a functionality standpoint.

We’ve worked with the Bell ever since it re-launched the Custom 500 back into the European market, so we didn’t take this step lightly but, simply put, Bell is no longer really our kind of brand.

Now we have been running a helmet Sale across our range of brands for a while now, in order to move on colourways and styles that were not being continued into 2021. But we’ve decided to increase our discount on Bell to a frankly ridiculous figure of 40%. Now this is our buying price, so with free P&P, we are actually losing money on every helmet we sell. That hurts, but they will serve no purpose taking up space on our shelves.

Personally I can't wear Bell helmets anyway, although I love their retro ranges in terms of style. I have to say, though, that I really admire Motolegends stance on this, and - with my recent very positive buying experience with them - they're right up there on my list of top retailers.

Thanks Adrien, I’ll give them a look.

I've got a Roland Sands edition Bell custom 500, but only because it was about £60 new.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    I've got a Roland Sands edition Bell custom 500, but only because it was about £60 new.

You must have a round head then

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post

What are they on your feet? Nice bike by the way!

Master
    Zard will be getting a call from me.... over £2k for an exhaust and they can’t even supply a stainless steel bracket..👎👎

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Oysterman View Post
    What are they on your feet? Nice bike by the way!
    BMW Dry Sneakers. Safe, waterproof, and uber comfortable on and off the bike.

https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/we...y-sneaker.html

Little disappointed with sales on motorcycle clothing so far. Been looking for some jeans, motorcycle shirts and the trainers.

Love the BMW ones spareparts, they may well go on the shortlist.

Gravitating towards the resurgence gear at the moment for jeans and shirts as their ratting is tripple A and the John Doe or TCX street for the trainers.

Anyone with experience of these brands or others that are worth considering love to hear recommendations.

Master
    Anyone looking for a summer bargain could do worse than this Triumph shirket... A cross between a jacket and a shirt.

Not to everyone’s taste I know, but sort of suits the retro vibe.. I have one and thought I’d got a bargain at £175.

It’s very thick and heavy, comes complete with CE shoulder, elbow and back protector so it’s a proper bike jacket. Got to be worth a punt for £100 quid

Just to clarify.. the buttons on the front are pop studs, the jacket is zipped and then the front flap is pop stud closed over the zip..

https://triumphfactoryoutlet.com/pro...smart_campaign
    Last edited by Enoch; 27th December 2020 at 17:42.

Anyone looking for a summer bargain could do worse than this Triumph shirket... A cross between a jacket and a shirt.

Not to everyone’s taste I know, but sort of suits the retro vibe.. I have one and thought I’d got a bargain at £175.

It’s very thick and heavy, comes complete with CE shoulder, elbow and back protector so it’s a proper bike jacket. Got to be worth a punt for £100 quidï‘

Just to clarify.. the buttons on the front are pop studs, the jacket is zipped and then the front flap is pop stud closed over the zip..

https://triumphfactoryoutlet.com/pro...smart_campaign
    Only available in small and medium so it’s tough luck for all us fat buggers!

Worth noting with the Triumph outlet, that if you leave stuff in your basket and don't buy it, they come back a day or so later with a reminder email, and a further follow up with 10% off a day or so after that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Only available in small and medium so it’s tough luck for all us fat buggers!
    How fat is fat? I’m 42” chest 32” waist and 5’10 and a medium is a nice fit...😎

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post
    Little disappointed with sales on motorcycle clothing so far. Been looking for some jeans, motorcycle shirts and the trainers.

Love the BMW ones spareparts, they may well go on the shortlist.

Gravitating towards the resurgence gear at the moment for jeans and shirts as their ratting is tripple A and the John Doe or TCX street for the trainers.

Anyone with experience of these brands or others that are worth considering love to hear recommendations.
    I have, unfortunately, tried many of the brands such as Rokker and others at significant expense. Biking is very functional, and the careful thought into design details is paramount - separating the mediocre designer-led brands from superlatively functional but less glamorous brands. BMW have invested a huge amount into their Motorrad brand - as good as their bikes are, their protective clothing range is just as good and better than their slightly dour image. I’m a big fan - especially of their biker jeans/cargos/etc. (In the photo above are their City cargo trousers which are fully amoured)

Their Dry Sneakers are the best I’ve tried amongst similar from TCX, Dainese, and Alpinestars.

Ditto the above
    I wear some BMW boots that are a high top design, laced but with side zips
    Super comfortable and with tough materials, can’t recommend Motörhead stuff too highly.
    Bloody spell checker!
    Motorrad!!
    Last edited by GOAT; 28th December 2020 at 11:36.

Master
    I’m a big Motörhead fan too🤪👍

15 years ago today, almost to the hour.
    Riding down the West coast of France at -6 degrees.
    Just a bit of freak weather on the way to Spain and then down to Africa over New Year with a few others.

That is frost/ice on the screen of my bike ... But with temp controlled heated clothing, plus with muffs and a shitebag it was very actually pleasant riding.