closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hive heating - hoping for some advice as trying to replace

Master

Hive heating - hoping for some advice as trying to replace

As above trying to replace my Hive heating as its a piece of **** and constantly loses connection stops switching heating on etc and customer service is useless - thats off my chest now my issue!

I have a dual zone system (2x heating and 1x hot water) so I thought it would be simple enough to replace with a Drayton Wiser, Nest etc. however it would seem my set up is a little different and hoping some educated member could give some advice before I have to be robbed to get a proper heating engineer in to do this!

It seems Hive has two receivers and all other systems work on one - I have one dual channel (Heating/HW) receiver (wiring shown below) next to the boiler linked to a thermostat in the hall, there is then a single channel (Heating only)receiver by the vented cylinder upstairs which links to the upstairs thermostat. The new non-hive systems seem to just have one receiver which connects to 2 thermostats.

I assume therefore I have to do something to the wiring to make the valve by the cylinder switch on/off but have no idea how?

Any advice gratefully received
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nictry; 7th May 2021 at 08:49.

I'm assuming before going for the nuclear option, you've exhausted all wi-fi connectivity options? I only say this as I've got hive and it's absolutely rock solid. I previously had nest and that had problems but the fix was changing a router setting which stopped it kicking idle stuff off the network.

I'd even be tempted to change the wireless part of your router before changing heating system by using a mesh system added to the router and disabling it's internal wi-fi.
    Last edited by Christian; 7th May 2021 at 09:18.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    I'm assuming before going for the nuclear option, you've exhausted all wi-fi connectivity options? I only say this as I've got hive and it's absolutely rock solid. I previously had nest and that had problems but the fix was changing a router setting which stopped it kicking idle stuff off the network.

I'd even be tempted to change the wireless part of your router before changing heating system by using a mesh system added to the router and disabling it's internal wi-fi.
    Absolutely - it was rock solid for 3 years but now even after a receiver/hub/thermostat swap out it’s still constantly losing connection and after a month I am done - WiFi is as strong as it gets with no changes made recently to impact it

We love Hive and would be lost without it :)

Quote Originally Posted by nictry View Post
    Absolutely - it was rock solid for 3 years but now even after a receiver/hub/thermostat swap out it’s still constantly losing connection and after a month I am done - WiFi is as strong as it gets with no changes made recently to impact it
    Frustrating. I hate those tech issues where an issue develops out of nowhere and it ends up being impossible to work out what the cause is. I'm having similar problems with a cellular apple watch constantly losing it's data plan. You end up with no idea why you are effected but no-one else is and both the manufacturer and service provider not being able to resolve because each believes the fault to be the other companies problem!

Master
    Moved house and inherited a Hive system- I have to say it is superb and connectivity is far better than my Ring doorbell which is a pain in the backside if wireless goes down.

Master
    I’m another Hive fan. Very stable, heating with trvs on all rads plus sensors, alarm and cameras here. The only major issue we ever had was needing a hive repeater due to distance between thermostat and boiler. We’re a combi boiler so no zones or complicated setup. Not sure if that’s a factor? We did get some ups and downs during the recent trv firmware upgrade but it settled nicely.

Shame that somethings giving you the grief because like others the Hive system I have has been first class since installing it 3 or 4 years ago…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nictry View Post
    As above trying to replace my Hive heating as its a piece of **** and constantly loses connection stops switching heating on etc and customer service is useless - thats off my chest now my issue!

I have a dual zone system (2x heating and 1x hot water) so I thought it would be simple enough to replace with a Drayton Wiser, Nest etc. however it would seem my set up is a little different and hoping some educated member could give some advice before I have to be robbed to get a proper heating engineer in to do this!

It seems Hive has two receivers and all other systems work on one - I have one dual channel (Heating/HW) receiver (wiring shown below) next to the boiler linked to a thermostat in the hall, there is then a single channel (Heating only)receiver by the vented cylinder upstairs which links to the upstairs thermostat. The new non-hive systems seem to just have one receiver which connects to 2 thermostats.

I assume therefore I have to do something to the wiring to make the valve by the cylinder switch on/off but have no idea how?

Any advice gratefully received

This indicates nest also requires two ‘receivers’
    https://support.google.com/googlenes...-the-same-home

Master
    Thanks for the comments so far and yes I agree Hive is great - when it works. When it doesn't the chat and expert team essentially just repeat the same instructions which may/may not fix the issue and after approx. 6 hours of calls and chat everything may work for a few days then goes off again so for me at least enough is enough

The issue as noted however is how to move from the 2 separate receivers to a single receiver which despite a lot of googling I can find no one seems to have done (or at least posted about)