closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 217 of 363 FirstFirst ... 117167207215216217218219227267317 ... LastLast
Results 10,801 to 10,850 of 18129

Thread: More bike related stuff

Master
    Blog Entries
    always put it in gear on the ferry,last time I had to ask and explain to those near me why they should do that.

Though on the Corsica/Sardinian ferry the Italian sailors just waved their arms around a lot and tied them down with what looked like garden twine.

Brittany ferries are very good at it.

keep well away from eary Dukes with flip up stands.

I leave mine in gear every-time I get off it.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    always put it in gear on the ferry,last time I had to ask and explain to those near me why they should do that.

Though on the Corsica/Sardinian ferry the Italian sailors just waved their arms around a lot and tied them down with what looked like garden twine.

Brittany ferries are very good at it.

keep well away from eary Dukes with flip up stands.
    God, what a terrible design feature. My 600ss ended up on its side the first evening I had it after the concierge at my apartments tried to move it for me. I wept.

Craftsman

VFR800

Just purchased this old bus. 21 years old and 19000 miles.
    Guess I will sell it soon. Or px.

I think it’s rather photogenic.

Thankfully the black exhaust that always rust. Have been replaced by a stainless system.

Click on picture two or three times for better image.

^^^ Blimey - that looks brand new!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    ^^^ Blimey - that looks brand new!
    Yes it does from a distance. It’s not perfect. But one of the nicest I have seen in a while.
    Not sure if I can be arsed getting it a few % better or not.

I always park facing uphill even if I have to ride and turn around.
    Then I pull the bike back against the stand.
    This.
    Anything else is just asking for trouble...

Quote Originally Posted by vRSG60 View Post
    I leave mine in gear every-time I get off it.
    Yep, not a good idea to do otherwise.
    Last edited by Tifa; 22nd August 2021 at 18:02.

thanks guys, starting today every time I get off it is in gear. As mentioned I feel I was lucky, so all precautions now taken
    Last edited by Cavham; 22nd August 2021 at 20:07.

Lovely ride out today, spoiled by a puncture. My brother had a repair kit, so we sorted t he tyre, only to realise that with spoked wheels I must have inner tubes as the tyre would not inflate. 2 hours to get back via a recovery van then both wheels off as I’m going to see about converting to tubeless.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Lovely ride out today, spoiled by a puncture. My brother had a repair kit, so we sorted t he tyre, only to realise that with spoked wheels I must have inner tubes as the tyre would not inflate. 2 hours to get back via a recovery van then both wheels off as I’m going to see about converting to tubeless.
    I feel your pain. I got a set of new tyres last week and managed to put an inch long tear in the side wall less than 5 miles from the tyre fitters. Not only that but the culprit for the damage managed to flick up and smash the rear mudguard. I had absolutely no idea what I’d run over, I’d been following a line of cars and didn’t see anything on the road. I walked up and down the road whilst I waited for my lift home and couldn’t find out what I’d hit. I left my bike in a friendly farmers shed and took the wheel away to get a new tyre fitted. When I put the bike on the main stand a piece of broken coil spring with a sharp edge fell out from the bottom of the bike! £130 for a new tyre and £50 for the fender (used from a breakers). Disappointed to say the least but these things happen I guess….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    I feel your pain. I got a set of new tyres last week and managed to put an inch long tear in the side wall less than 5 miles from the tyre fitters. Not only that but the culprit for the damage managed to flick up and smash the rear mudguard. I had absolutely no idea what I’d run over, I’d been following a line of cars and didn’t see anything on the road. I walked up and down the road whilst I waited for my lift home and couldn’t find out what I’d hit. I left my bike in a friendly farmers shed and took the wheel away to get a new tyre fitted. When I put the bike on the main stand a piece of broken coil spring with a sharp edge fell out from the bottom of the bike! £130 for a new tyre and £50 for the fender (used from a breakers). Disappointed to say the least but these things happen I guess….[IMG]

Regrettably with the current state of our roads bits of coil springs are a regular occurrence

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Have you converted to tubeless before ? Can be a bit hit and miss from what I've read on the R9T forum.
    I was looking for a service to do this. My usual mechanic has never done it.

https://www.central-wheel.co.uk/serv...nversions.html

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Metalic Mud View Post
    Just purchased this old bus. 21 years old and 19000 miles.
    Guess I will sell it soon. Or px.

I think it’s rather photogenic.

Thankfully the black exhaust that always rust. Have been replaced by a stainless system.

Click on picture two or three times for better image.

][/url]

A very good classic motorbike,it still looks the buisness and ready to tour (I would take that over a GS every day).

I would keep it if I was you.

See Wildbad touring videos for inspiration.

Master
    Blog Entries

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    A very good classic motorbike,it still looks the buisness and ready to tour (I would take that over a GS every day).

I would keep it if I was you.

See Wildbad touring videos for inspiration.
    You do realise that Mr Wildbad tours on an Africa Twin these days….?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    You do realise that Mr Wildbad tours on an Africa Twin these days….?
    He still has his VFR still rides it and says he wont sell it.

Master

More bike related stuff

He still has his VFR still rides it and says he wont sell it.
    Last edited by downer; 22nd August 2021 at 22:07. Reason: Forget it…

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    It’s not a argument on my side it’s a fact?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=VbcbCaj7EG8&feature=share

Master

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Am I the only one annoyed by the use of American spelling and really poor grammar in that copy? It’s bad enough to make me wonder if it’s a scam.

(Not that I’m in the market for one anyway…)

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    Am I the only one annoyed by the use of American spelling and really poor grammar in that copy? It’s bad enough to make me wonder if it’s a scam.

(Not that I’m in the market for one anyway…)
    My thoughts exactly. Not a great looker and no discernible Brough DNA. With the use of motor instead of engine, you just know it’s CHassis, not shassis (sic). Should it not be frame?

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Replace tyres based solely on age?

I've been riding my wife's ER6F a bit - someone has to keep it ticking over while she gets her test sorted - and there's 'something' I don't like about the handling. It's hard to say what it is but I'd expect to have more cornering confidence on this bike than on my Scrambler but I don't. I don't think it's just not being used to the bike either as I've done nearly 1000 miles on it since May.

This has got me thinking about the tyres. They look OK - plenty of tread and not noticeably squared off - and the pressures are right but I wondered if age might be the problem.

General lack of flexibility (particularly at the end of a 100 mile ride) and not having my reading glasses on means I just shoved my phone camera at something that I think looks like date codes:

Does it look to you like the rear is 6 years old and the front 7 years old? Would you change them solely on this basis?

(To be honest I've pretty much decided I'm going to put new tyres on anyway if/when Mrs MCH passes her test)

And if it's not the tyres, it's the suspension and:
    • I've adjusted the rear pre-load
    • There's nothing to adjust on the front
    • Mrs MCH is lighter than me and will no doubt ride differently
    • This is unlikely to be here 'forever' bike so maybe not worth investing in any expensive suspension changes...

Hmm... sorry for rambling - I'm really just putting my thinking into words.
    To follow up on this (as much for myself as anything else)...

a) those are definitely not date codes (and if they were I'd miscalculated by 10 years as well). The tyres are actually 3 and 4 years old respectively

b) something has 'clicked' with me and this bike. My Caballero is overdue a service (happening on Tuesday) so I've been riding the ER6F a fair bit and it's gone from 'something not right' to 'man and machine in perfect harmony'.

My latest theory is that it's taken me this long to get used to a fairing. Yes, really... For 50 years I've ridden bikes (mostly pedalled) where I can see the front wheel move when the bars move. I don't ride along looking at the front wheel on any bike but it's there. With the fairing it's not there. It's not just the wheel either - it's screen, mirrors etc that don't move when the bars move. This might not sound very plausible but if it's not this, I don't know what's happened. Anyway I'm really enjoying riding it now.

c) I'm still planning to put new tyres on it for Mrs MCH but that's now on the basis that she's taking her time learning on the YBR125 and I'm enjoying riding this one so I'll probably have worn them out by the time I hand it over to her.

Whilst I’ve been riding long enough to not even really notice if a bike is faired or unfaired when I’m riding it, I vaguely remember how weird it felt when I put a fairing on my Gsx250 back in the early eighties so you could well be right.

Having now gelled with it, you’ll probably not really notice changing from faired to unfaired and back again any more either.

I think I’m in love…
    Moto Guzzi V7 Carbon Dark…
    Would love this as a second bike but problem would be being too scared to ride it in the colder months…

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    I think I’m in love…
    Would love this as a second bike but problem would be being too scared to ride it in the colder months…

A neighbour has the ordinary one with chrome tank and red cyl covers - a thing of beauty indeed.

The Moto Guzzi V7 was on my shortlist when I got my Caballero. I can definitely see me having one at some point in the future.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    I think I’m in love…

Now with the 850 motor from the V85TT too. Albeit in a softer tune, but a charismatic lump nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by RichS View Post
    Should it not be frame?
    My son is employed as a Motorcycle Chassis Design Engineer in the UK so I'm going to say no :-)

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    The Moto Guzzi V7 was on my shortlist when I got my Caballero. I can definitely see me having one at some point in the future.
    It's a heavy bike for a peak 64/65bhp that's made quite high at nearly 7000 revs (albeit that peak torque is made a bit lower down). It put me off when I was considering it some time back - it's a beautiful looking thing, though.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 23rd August 2021 at 17:01.

Question for the bikers. I think I need another bike. I have 4 but they all have their own unique qualities and are sort of keepers for now. I really fancy a depreciation proof sports bike. I've always had sports bikes and after selling my ZX10R I'd like something else. Sports bikes aren't the most comfortable machines and if I did 1k miles a year on fun Sunday blasts I'd be happy as I have plenty of alternatives. I'm really looking for a classic superstore up to £10k. I've got a shortlist. SP1/SP2, An 888 if I can find one and even things like the ZXR750 or Slabside Gixxer.. Any ideas out there on obvious things I've missed? I'm in no hurry but ideas would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Question for the bikers. I think I need another bike. I have 4 but they all have their own unique qualities and are sort of keepers for now. I really fancy a depreciation proof sports bike. I've always had sports bikes and after selling my ZX10R I'd like something else. Sports bikes aren't the most comfortable machines and if I did 1k miles a year on fun Sunday blasts I'd be happy as I have plenty of alternatives. I'm really looking for a classic superstore up to £10k. I've got a shortlist. SP1/SP2, An 888 if I can find one and even things like the ZXR750 or Slabside Gixxer.. Any ideas out there on obvious things I've missed? I'm in no hurry but ideas would be great.
    Whilst I have a soft spot for the ZXR750, they seem to be a bit few and far between as a fair number have been raced etc (I spannered one in British endurance a few years back).

Rather than look for something around £10 and hope it doesn't depreciate, I'd be likely to go for something that's gone as low as it's likely to; a Gixxer thou K3 or Kawasaki ZX-9R for £3k-£4k. That way any depreciation has a hard limit

You have 4 already
    And here’s me debating about getting a second

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Whilst I have a soft spot for the ZXR750, they seem to be a bit few and far between as a fair number have been raced etc (I spannered one in British endurance a few years back).

Rather than look for something around £10 and hope it doesn't depreciate, I'd be likely to go for something that's gone as low as it's likely to; a Gixxer thou K3 or Kawasaki ZX-9R for £3k-£4k. That way any depreciation has a hard limit
    The ZX9R is a good call. I had one and Its a great all rounder. Was really looking for something more pure sports. Like a nice Rolex, I could use it a little and look after it and it would still get what I paid for it. Big ask I know.

Oh, and Martylaa, you need a second. Just like a nice watch, One bike will never tick all the boxes.

....cue the bikers content with their 'one bike solution '.......

The ZX9R is a good call. I had one and Its a great all rounder. Was really looking for something more pure sports. Like a nice Rolex, I could use it a little and look after it and it would still get what I paid for it. Big ask I know.

Oh, and Martylaa, you need a second. Just like a nice watch, One bike will never tick all the boxes.

Most sense I’ve heard on this forum in years

The one bike solution, one for Monday, one for Tuesday.......

ZX9R is a great bike (98 onwards) and have really hit rock bottom by now.

The homologation special for WSB are a good call but getting difficult to find at the right money these days. An 888, 916/996/998 or even a 999 is always going to hold value. Steer clear of Benelli but a Guzzi Daytona is within budget or any Bimota if you can find a decent one.

Early R1s are starting to appreciate too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    The one bike solution, one for Monday, one for Tuesday.......

ZX9R is a great bike (98 onwards) and have really hit rock bottom by now.

The homologation special for WSB are a good call but getting difficult to find at the right money these days. An 888, 916/996/998 or even a 999 is always going to hold value. Steer clear of Benelli but a Guzzi Daytona is within budget or any Bimota if you can find a decent one.

Early R1s are starting to appreciate too.
    Slabby or early Red and white R1 would be my suggestion. Bomb proof motors all day comfort ( if you are Nick Sanders or Sjaak Lucassen) and non of the belt issues associated with 888’s 916 etc.

Steve

Ps great dilemma to have.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire

More bike related stuff

Heres a leftfield one for you. An Aprilia RS250. Yeah its a 2 stroke, yeah its only 250cc, yeah it may blow up any second and so on and so on. But you know what, you’ll have more fun on that on a Sunday thrash than any big four stroke. On the big fours or v twins most of us can extract no more that say 30 or 40% of what the bike is capable of. However on the RS you will probably be able to use nearer 70 or 80% of what it is capable of, and have a load more fun in doing so. And they seem pretty sound investments at the mo as well, and are deffo one of the sexiest looking bikes around. Plus you cant beat the smell and sound of a stroker!!!

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Oooh great dilemma

Part of me is screaming 916! They’re at rock bottom now imho.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-91...-127635-2958-0

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1997-Duca...-127635-2958-0

But the other half is saying buy a decent Japanese bike for less than half the money and about 10% of the hassle with reliability.

Here’s a 954 Fireblade (arguably the best ever all round blade) and not likely to lose much if any capital value.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Fir...-127635-2958-0

And another that I’m really tempted by!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CBR...-127635-2958-0

Obvs any R1 is also going to be amazing.

A GSX-R 750 has to be considered as do the 1000’s

But for me the opportunity to buy a decent 954 would be too much to resist.

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    Oooh great dilemma

Part of me is screaming 916! They’re at rock bottom now imho.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-91...-127635-2958-0

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1997-Duca...-127635-2958-0

But the other half is saying buy a decent Japanese bike for less than half the money and about 10% of the hassle with reliability.

Here’s a 954 Fireblade (arguably the best ever all round blade) and not likely to lose much if any capital value.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Fir...-127635-2958-0

And another that I’m really tempted by!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CBR...-127635-2958-0

Obvs any R1 is also going to be amazing.

A GSX-R 750 has to be considered as do the 1000’s

But for me the opportunity to buy a decent 954 would be too much to resist.
    Rock bottom? I turned down a 94 Strava (the first year of production) at £2500 a while back (ok, ten years or so) because it was too pricey!

The Aprilia is a great shout or any other 250 stroked from tgst era. I think the days of the RD/RG 500s has gone but a Honda NSR400 might still be within reach.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Rock bottom? I turned down a 94 Strava (the first year of production) at £2500 a while back (ok, ten years or so) because it was too pricey!

The Aprilia is a great shout or any other 250 stroked from tgst era. I think the days of the RD/RG 500s has gone but a Honda NSR400 might still be within reach.
    Haha yeah poor choice of words. As low as they’re ever going to be again is what I meant to say.

We will probably look back and wish we’d all bought a few.

Apologies as always for Tapatalk removing all of my punctuation.

Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    Haha yeah poor choice of words. As low as they’re ever going to be again is what I meant to say.

We will probably look back and wish we’d all bought a few.
    I’ve regretted not buying it ever since! Then not buying one at £3.5k etc.

I think that a 1098s Ducati like the one recently advertised on here would be a good choice…

Master
    Well I’ve joined the club
    650 by biglewie, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Nice

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post

Master
    After a 10 year break - picked it up on eBay - 10k miles
    Needs a bit of a tidy but I think it’s ok

Master

More bike related stuff

GSXR 1000 K5/6. Blue/white. Ideally with a Yoshi Trioval! Seminal and still one of the greatest. Rock solid residuals. Widely regarded. Easy to service. Modern performance still, without the complexity. Still one of the lightest, and it’s full size. I tracked mine and also toured on it around Europe. It was brilliant. Very few unmolested ones remaining. Solid buy.

I had a 954 before the K6. The K5/6 murders the 954 and is better in every way.

Thanks for all the advice and ideas. Going to try to compile some sort of shortlist. Any more will be gratefully received.

Thanks for all the advice and ideas. Going to try to compile some sort of shortlist. Any more will be gratefully received.
    Any pre-V4, Aprilia..RSV..RSVR. (Rotax)
    or BMW HP2.