Quote Originally Posted by Watch freek View Post
    Out shopping today and couldn't believe my eyes
    A Rolex Hulk in the window
    £17.995 FFS What is going on.
    It's a crap girls watch anyway
    Tiny little thin thing.

There is no way its worth that

Rant over.

SO- what are you looking for, in a Rolex?

I suspect that your WANT is inexorably linked - to rising residual values.....................

Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    Then don’t buy it.
    I absolutely never would

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    SO- what are you looking for, in a Rolex?

I suspect that your WANT is inexorably linked - to rising residual values.....................
    I wouldn't own any rolex
    The Hulk was 10-12K a year ago now its 18K
    Just don't get what all the fuss is about.

I wouldn't own any rolex
    The Hulk was 10-12K a year ago now its 18K

Not really the basis for a rant, though?

Claiming to be unaffected, but ranting all the same.................

Sore loser it seams..........

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't own any rolex
    Why not? Even if current prices (versus lack of availability) are excessive, they are good watches, well made.

It's a mania, of sorts, and we live in an era of constant and rapid graphical communications which means that desires are rapidly spread and amplified. The growth of the 'influencer' class and the social software platforms that allow them to exist have changed the world in unexpected ways.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 30th October 2021 at 20:54.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Not really the basis for a rant, though?

Claiming to be unaffected, but ranting all the same.................

Sore loser it seams..........
    Call it a rant,or just a laugh.
    Either way definitely not a sore loser ,I could afford one but just don't want the horrible little green thing.. just my two penith.
    Opinions are like arseholes ,we all got one.

Tiny little thin thing.

Rant over.
    …..ok

Master
    Tiny little thin thing.
    Rant over.
    Can you enlighten the forum as to what watches you rate highly and own maybe, so we know where you’re coming from?

Master
    Blog Entries
    He's right though. They're not worth £18k.

It won't be that rare. It is not in the same league as many much cheaper options in terms of quality.

But it is in high demand with good residuals.

Of course they are not worth it, you dont need much common sense to see they are overcharging by about 500%

Tiny little thin thing.

The bigger the watch the more I pay!

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Can you enlighten the forum as to what watches you rate highly and own maybe, so we know where you’re coming from?
    I have a Planet Ocean Chrono 9300, A steel Ploprof which are both Awesome and a Panerai Submersible
    I also have owned seiko spring drives which were of very high quality and right up there with any Rolex.

I have a Planet Ocean Chrono 9300, A steel Ploprof which are both Awesome and a Panerai Submersible
    I also have owned seiko spring drives which were of very high quality and right up there with any Rolex.

Tiny little thin thing.

I’ve never liked the Hulk - way too much green going on.

Anyway, what did everyone have for tea tonight?

If I was lucky enough to own one, I'd definitely flip it for a VC Overseas

I also went out on the lash yesterday.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    I also went out on the lash yesterday.
    <chortle>

Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    Then don’t buy it.
    Exactly.
    And stop whining about it.
    What an idiotic post!

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Why not? Even if current prices (versus lack of availability) are excessive, they are good watches, well made.
    Aesthetics. In most cases they haven't modernised and still look like a watch from the eighties. Taking the cost of owning one out of the equation, they simply don't appeal to me. I really don't like the cyclops over the date window on some of them and the bezels on others. There are odd examples that I think look ok but in comparison to equivalent models from other brands they just don't appeal to me. I do wonder if the same watch designs were in a shop window shown to the general public but didn't have Rolex on the dial, whether anyone would even take a second look. I would say that I agree with you about them being good, well made watches but even that idea has been slightly jaded for me as more than a few Rolex owners I know have suggested that they scratch more easily than some other brands, have equivalent levels of manufacturing faults and the customer services leaves a lot to be desired.

of course these comments are all a personal preference or point of view.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    Aesthetics. In most cases they haven't modernised and still look like a watch from the eighties. Taking the cost of owning one out of the equation, they simply don't appeal to me. I really don't like the cyclops over the date window on some of them and the bezels on others. There are odd examples that I think look ok but in comparison to equivalent models from other brands they just don't appeal to me. I do wonder if the same watch designs were in a shop window shown to the general public but didn't have Rolex on the dial, whether anyone would even take a second look. I would say that I agree with you about them being good, well made watches but even that idea has been slightly jaded for me as more than a few Rolex owners I know have suggested that they scratch more easily than some other brands, have equivalent levels of manufacturing faults and the customer services leaves a lot to be desired.

of course these comments are all a personal preference or point of view.
    All fair enough. There is no rule that everyone has to like Rolex! :-)

I think they are very conservative in their design development precisely because they know that what they have works for them (for all sorts of reasons).

Personally I think that if people saw watches like the Datejust and Submariner in a shop windows without the Rolex branding (and we were in an imaginary world where they hadn't been cloned/homaged by every manufacturer out there) then, yes, many people would find them to be attractive watches. I think a large part of Rolex's success is that they created some successful, aesthetically appealing designs, and have not fixed what wasn't broken. They've stuck with it (mostly).

This doesn't mean that everyone has to like the watches though, especially not in the modern world as things have changed around Rolex, so thanks for your comment.

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Personally I think that if people saw watches like the Datejust and Submariner in a shop windows without the Rolex branding (and we were in an imaginary world where they hadn't been cloned/homaged by every manufacturer out there) then, yes, many people would find them to be attractive watches. I think a large part of Rolex's success is that they created some successful, aesthetically appealing designs, and have not fixed what wasn't broken. They've stuck with it (mostly).
    I know that it could (or would) never be done but I would find it quite an interesting 'project' if a series of watches of a similar type had all their logos removed and were shown to the general public to see which ones they prefer. It's no surprise to any of us that marketing and status are a large part of watch buying, not necessarily to everyone but to the majority.

I agree with you that Rolex have more or less stayed with what they know but I don't think that's the biggest part of their appeal, in my opinion it's their marketing in creating a feeling of status around Rolex watches that drives the appeal and not the design (think of Richard Mille and you can see my point). How many of us would be happy to go to any other store to buy an item we liked (not watch related) and be told that you would either have to wait several years before you could have one or be told you would never be allowed to own one even if you could afford it as you're not important enough. As a general rule we would move on and buy another product. It's shame as I think it spoils the market for 'less important' people who genuinely like the watches.

The value is what the buyer is prepared to pay.

End of discussion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tiny little thin thing.

Rant over.
    Only just noticed this post...

... very strange comments - very naive to be unaware of the daft current rolex grey market prices, but a thing is "worth" exactly what people will pay.

The comments that are the most confusing, however, are the ones saying that a rolex "hulk" is "tiny" "thin" "crap" and a "girls watch"... when in fact its a mans watch with a 40mm case, and a comparable height to its competitors.

As for "crap" - you then go on to say that youve owned seikos "of very high quality" - "right up there with any rolex" - so you obviously think that rolex quality is "very high"...

I have obviously upset a few here . But that's OK with me
    Poking the Rolex nest.
    I like a big watch 45-59mm wide and 20mm in thickness.
    So the Hulk to me is tiny.
    My opinion.
    As for the Seiko Spring Drive and Grand Seiko ,I believe they are better quality than a Rolex now you come to mention it.

Poking the Rolex nest.
    My opinion.
    As for the Seiko Spring Drive and Grand Seiko ,I believe they are better quality than a Rolex now you come to mention it.
    Of course you do.

How many GS spring drives have you owned?

Non Rolex owner here, and to be honest I couldn't justify more than twice the price I have ever paid for a car sitting on my wrist, ready to get mugged for or have an accident with BUT, what I don't understand is this story that is told time and again about the 'rareity' of them being the reason they are going up in price.

Take this 'Hulk' model, I don't know them or the other ones that are the next best thing or supposed to be what we should like.... so we will stick with the 'green one'. I just typed in 'Rolex Hulk' and Chrono24 shows they have, or have access to, 257 of them. So how are they 'rare'? If you had one and put it up for sale, there are 257 people ahead of you in the selling game....

Do these watches simply sit there unsold in the hope that the price is achieved, or do they actually sell for these figures and if I come back in, say, a weeks time, they will all be snapped up by those people desperate to get their hands on such a 'rare' watch and there be none left?

I just don't get this thing that says they are hard to come by.

Master
    I love mine and the sunburst dial is sublime IMHO so many posts and no photos. So here is mine next to its step brother.

As long as you like the watch who cares what others think and value is really not that important.

Last edited by shoppy; 31st October 2021 at 21:28.

Rolex Hulk price

Each to their own, but I’d be mad if I found one!

Last edited by vRSG60; 31st October 2021 at 21:28.

Quote Originally Posted by shoppy View Post
    I love mine and the sunburst dial is sublime IMHO so many posts and no photos. So here is mine next to its step brother.

As long as you like the watch who cares what other think.

Exceptional watch Shoppy and Exceptional quality. Wears beautifully and looks stunning in the sunlight. This is just a stone cold sour grapes thread. If the OP doesn't want one then why is he even looking. Get a GS for 10k and you've got yourself a bargain surely?

I would recommend buying the hulk at £18k. It will be even more expensive next year!

I am not important enough to be offered an hulk/LV (or Pepsi) and too tight to pay over list. I cannot understand the madness. If I owned a one, I probably would understand.

Blog Entries
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

What a looker, I love mine - and a great return should I need it.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

If you want a watch in this country though, and most will not least to avoid 20% VAT and any potential returns issues, there are only 32 for sale. Thats not that many even if you believe they all have them in hand. They range from £15k to £26.5k. The price is the price and the value is what people will pay. Compared to a £33k stainless Daytona they seem cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos View Post
    Non Rolex owner here, and to be honest I couldn't justify more than twice the price I have ever paid for a car sitting on my wrist, ready to get mugged for or have an accident with BUT, what I don't understand is this story that is told time and again about the 'rareity' of them being the reason they are going up in price.

Take this 'Hulk' model, I don't know them or the other ones that are the next best thing or supposed to be what we should like.... so we will stick with the 'green one'. I just typed in 'Rolex Hulk' and Chrono24 shows they have, or have access to, 257 of them. So how are they 'rare'? If you had one and put it up for sale, there are 257 people ahead of you in the selling game....

Do these watches simply sit there unsold in the hope that the price is achieved, or do they actually sell for these figures and if I come back in, say, a weeks time, they will all be snapped up by those people desperate to get their hands on such a 'rare' watch and there be none left?

I just don't get this thing that says they are hard to come by.

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Exceptional watch Shoppy and Exceptional quality. Wears beautifully and looks stunning in the sunlight. This is just a stone cold sour grapes thread. If the OP doesn't want one then why is he even looking. Get a GS for 10k and you've got yourself a bargain surely?
    Not looking for one ,just a watch enthusiast window shopping at watches, and there it was.

Poking the Rolex nest.
    My opinion.
    How big is your wrist? Its got to be huge to pull of a nearly 60mm watch...