closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Why don't we all have a Bremont?

Quote Originally Posted by levkov View Post
    Oh yeah of course, don't get me wrong, i do respect different people having different tastes, it only makes our world more colourful and exciting. I think I have a taste that covers a wide variety of watch types, albeit i admit it's rather vintage heavy. And military heavy. So no surprises there. When I first heard about Bremont, i quite liked the idea to own a British brand, especially that Henley is quite close to our hearts, we go there every now and then. Really tried hard, but just couldn't see one that resonated with me. Perhaps a friendlier price tag would've helped more, but hey.. So in the spirit of owning something British, i went down the military rabbithole.. and most likely ended up spending several times a Bremont's price tag haha :D
    I’ve probably got the opposite taste to you but I’m always willing for someone to try and convince me otherwise. I can see why vintage and/or military watches appeal to some, they’re just not my thing or at least the ones I’ve seen.
    As for the Bremont price tag, I agree that it is on the heavier side but for the most part, in comparison to what I would call high street brands, the construction and finishing matches well. I’m sure there will be non high street brands that compare more than favourably and if people prefer those that’s fine, as we agree, everyone is entitled to their opinion and personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Only dogs bite.
    Really? You must start watching a few Attenborough programs.

You haters need to stop pi$$ing and moaning.

Watch forum, watch fans, British company etc, etc.

Let them go on their journey - it will stand or fall by what they do.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

An interesting thread, other than Hublot I can’t think of another watch brand which creates so much controversy.
    My introduction to the brand was from a mate of mine turning up at the pub with an ALT-C. I thought it was a stunning watch so decided to do some research on the company and their watches. That was back in 2015 and I ended up buying an MB11 Orange on the forum, from Jason Chinnock if my memory serves me. I still have that watch today and it has served me well, in fact you could say above and beyond the call of duty. Unintentionally the MB11 has been tested to the limit from two accidents I had whilst wearing it and each time the watch took one hell of a knock and survived. Not only survived but came away with hardly a scratch on it. Both times I ended up in hospital and on the last occasion when I came off my motorcycle after hitting a car, the doctor had to remove the MB11 from my wrist. Fortunately it was on the Bremont velcro strap that day so he didn’t have to cut the strap to get the watch off as my arm and wrist were in a bit of a state. The watch was still working and that was after having hit a Honda CRV at 30mph. I don’t know how many G’s that is but I can tell you it hurt!
    So, if a watch company can make a watch that tough they have my vote. So much so that I have just purchased a Supermarine S501 from them. I’m kind of hoping I don’t have to go through the same testing regime with this one though.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

^ Cool story. I've always fancied the MB, just the thickness puts me off (looks like a puck, and I'm convinced it wouldn't last the day).

As to yet another thread full of keyboard warriors, just skim read and ignore - applies to an ever growing % of threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk View Post
    An interesting thread, other than Hublot I can’t think of another watch brand which creates so much controversy.

It happened with Heuer after they were taken over by TAG. More than 30 years later and with all the effort, they still haven't recovered and probably never will. It is also happening with Panerai to some extent.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    The rest of the week he was in oversized double-breasted suits with brass buttons.
    A suit with brass buttons - sounds a bit chi-chi.

Sounds very much like he wasn't even English.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

A more in-depth look at the movement for those interested.

https://www.thenakedwatchmaker.com/m...nts-at-bremont

Hopefully it gives an idea of the design process and the scale of commitment to produce.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary View Post
    A more in-depth look at the movement for those interested.

https://www.thenakedwatchmaker.com/m...nts-at-bremont

Hopefully it gives an idea of the design process and the scale of commitment to produce.

Gary
    Fascinating Gary, you're right, quite a commitment. Did P S-M consult on this? He certainly has the skinny on the whole development
    D

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    It happened with Heuer after they were taken over by TAG. More than 30 years later and with all the effort, they still haven't recovered and probably never will. It is also happening with Panerai to some extent.
    Inaccurate and drawing parallels between totally different scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Fascinating Gary, you're right, quite a commitment. Did P S-M consult on this? He certainly has the skinny on the whole development
    D
    Hi Dave,

Peter came in a few weeks ago to view the movement and production facility, I'm assuming he took away a movement to do his deconstruction and take photo's etc.

I've no idea whether he had a hand in developing the movement (way above my pay grade) but I'm inclined to say he didn't given his reaction when doing the tour.

Gary

Re the new watches: if I was making both the movement and the case then I think I'd make one to fit the other.

(I.e. I'd make the case around (sic) the movement. Either way, they would go together. But this? No amount of pelvic floor muscle toning is gonna make that tiny thing snug in there.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Re the new watches: if I was making both the movement and the case then I think I'd make one to fit the other.

(I.e. I'd make the case around (sic) the movement. Either way, they would go together. But this? No amount of pelvic floor muscle toning is gonna make that tiny thing snug in there.)
    I'm guessing a mixture of tradition and flexibility dictates a movements size Rev. If you look at the vast majority of popular ETA movements (2824, 2836 etc) they're 11.5 lignes or 25.6mm in diameter. It means they can be used in much smaller watches as was the fashion when they were developed and first introduced. The one noticeably exception is the Unitas 6497/8 which was originally a pocket watch movement before being used in Panerai's etc and even that's only 36.6mm in diameter. Still pretty small considering the oversized cases it's used in.

Gary

When Rolex developed the 3235 were they thinking of the Datejust 36, the DSSD or everything inbetween?
    Seems to be a ridiculous criticism from someone that wants them to succeed and completely misses the point of a universal movement to go in a range of watches. If you want each case and movement to be designed to go perfectly together there are a range of makers out there, but you’re at a completely different level of horology and those prices will make these Bremonts look like pocket money treats.

I’ve had two Solo’s and hankered after the ALT1-C for some time. Unfortunately the ceramic in the crown split on the most recent one I had and although Bremont replaced the crown free of charge the same thing happened on the replacement crown. Given that the crown on the ALT1-C is the same as the Solo it put me off.

I loved the simplicity of the watch and it was very accurate. Their customer service was superb and the guys in the Mayfair boutique great to deal with.

I think this is a little beneath you Ollie, resorting to a cheap insult despite the fact that

a) as Gary pointed out, at 11.5 ligne this is a totally normal size for a movement, and
    b) at 40mm, the new watches are relatively modest in size

So the discrepancy between the two is less than your post makes fun of.
    It follows in the vein of many of your Bremont posts, poking fun at the apparent poshness of the owners or wearers, all of which feel a little cheap.
    All a little beneath you really.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I think this is a little beneath you Ollie, resorting to a cheap insult despite the fact that

a) as Gary pointed out, at 11.5 ligne this is a totally normal size for a movement, and
    b) at 40mm, the new watches are relatively modest in size

So the discrepancy between the two is less than your post makes fun of.
    It follows in the vein of many of your Bremont posts, poking fun at the apparent poshness of the owners or wearers, all of which feel a little cheap.
    All a little beneath you really.
    Yeah, good points. Fair enough. I am justly rebuked.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    I had a S500 and it was a nice watch at a reasonable price but some of their special addition stuff is simply too expensive. I popped in to my local ad a while back now when the H4 was just released and the guy I normally see chatted about it for quite a while whilst it was being shown to someone else. The way he described it I was almost handing my wallet to him before even seeing it but when I finally did disappointment wasn’t the word. I wouldn’t have bought it if it was 4K let alone nearly 10. Considering only 300 of the SS were made it was still there until very recently and probably still is now.....tells you what you need to know
    I have a H4 and love it. Did I pay full RRP no. So no regrets on my purchase.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg156 View Post
    I have a H4 and love it. Did I pay full RRP no. So no regrets on my purchase.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    By far my favourite of theirs. I'm hoping they do a slightly smaller version though.

The next James Bond should be wearing a Bremont!

He probably will be 'cos it'll be another reason for a limited/special/expensive version....

Master
    Blog Entries
    The first kingsmen film they wore Bremont, Nick was in it briefly too.

Craftsman
    This thread piqued my interest in their offerings and I have to say I really like the look of the S302. Haven't seen it in person but it looks great in pictures and YouTube.
    Anyone have any experience?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

No

I’d like to see bond in a bremont in his new movie, No Time To Fly.

After a decade and a half of The Blond Scouser, hasn’t that character suffered enough?

A simple answer to OP’s question would be- Because not all of us possess the ability to think independently and a good taste:-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    A simple answer to OP’s question would be- Because not all of us possess the ability to think independently and a good taste:-)
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Faiz View Post
    This thread piqued my interest in their offerings and I have to say I really like the look of the S302. Haven't seen it in person but it looks great in pictures and YouTube.
    Anyone have any experience?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
    Great watch in the metal, well proportioned. Faux lume is a bit marmite though.

For me they’ve never completely “nailed it”. There’s always been at least one thing that made me leave the money in the drawer.

Out of all of them, the MB’s draw my eye the most. Would I buy new… probably not. But I appreciate the practical application and associated testing involved.

Anything with a piece of chair leg, propellor or whatever is not going to get bought by me, and certainly not for silly prices they’re asking.

Quote Originally Posted by darko View Post
    For me they’ve never completely “nailed it”. There’s always been at least one thing that made me leave the money in the drawer.

Out of all of them, the MB’s draw my eye the most. Would I buy new… probably not. But I appreciate the practical application and associated testing involved.

Anything with a piece of chair leg, propellor or whatever is not going to get bought by me, and certainly not for silly prices they’re asking.
    My outlook too. I like the white-face MB with any case-side collar colour.

In a world where every man and his dog copies Rolex aesthetic features - the Bremont case/lugs of the MB, Solo etc stand out individually.

For me they're a bit like Chr Ward watches. Nice watches, nice quality but the designs are just not quite for me. Certainly not at that price point. I wouldn't take a hit on a watch that I wasn't sure about in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Faiz View Post
    It's a really nice watch. Looks great in person and wears really well. Really suits a NATO as well if you like that kind of thing.

I would have an orange MB2 in a heartbeat although the original Mark 1 version. When it came to spending my money I chose a square B&R as an aviation style 3 hander, but would have been equally happy with an MB2. A very solid and desirable watch.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    After a decade and a half of The Blond Scouser, hasn’t that character suffered enough?
    after over 16000 posts, hasn't this forum suffered enough?

what's becoming more and more apparent through this forum is the reason why people should buy a Bremont. There's a distinct lack of constructive criticism. When Bremont is mentioned, the negativity turns into rhetoric and name calling that could be bettered by school children. What better reason to buy a watch than when the only negative comments aren't watch related.

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    after over 16000 posts, hasn't this forum suffered enough?
    Lol!!!!

What is also apparent is we have a Bremont fanboy who steps in at every opportunity to congratulate or deprecate posts here on the sole criterion of whether they praise or criticise his beloved brand. I hope they pay you for that but I am not sure they need to, groupies usually do that for free.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    What is also apparent is we have a Bremont fanboy who steps in at every opportunity to congratulate or deprecate posts here on the sole criterion of whether they praise or criticise his beloved brand. I hope they pay you for that but I am not sure they need to, groupies usually do that for free.
    As is also apparent that some come here to denigrate posters or brands without any worthwhile contribution to the debate. Or the watch talk in general.

Bremoaners, they call them.

What is also apparent is we have lots of Rolex fanboys who step in at every opportunity to congratulate or deprecate posts here on the sole criterion of whether they praise or criticise their beloved brand. I hope they pay for that but I am not sure they need to, groupies usually do that for free.
    🤔

As is also apparent that some come here to denigrate posters or brands without any worthwhile contribution to the debate. Or the watch talk in general.
    At least it is an honest contribution. I'll whistle next time I need you.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

I like my MB2. Was the watch that brought me here looking for more info which then introduced me to other brands like Sinn. Overall I’ve enjoyed it a lot in the 9 years since picking it up on SC which is what it’s all about. Good for them investing in manufacturing, the marketing passes me by as do the red trousers.

Blog Entries

I expect it’s been said already, but I imagine the main reason people without one, don’t have one is that they haven’t seen one that they liked enough to buy.

At least it is an honest contribution. I'll whistle next time I need you.
    thanks for proving my point, I take it that the best input you can offer is an insult? That's a rhetorical question.

It certainly seems that way.

Blog Entries
    thanks for proving my point, I take it that the best input you can offer is an insult? That's a rhetorical question.
    It certainly seems that way.

You are Antoine Bremont and I claim my £50.