closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you remember the first pint you bought ?

Aged 16 in 1979 The Crown, a little pub in Thames Ditton. We'd got shown the door in the pub across the road called The Swan which was owned by Jenny Hanley who used to present the kids TV program Magpie in the 70's.
    It was probably a pint of fizzy lager back then, before I saw the light (and bitter)

1989, I was 17 (and looked about 12) had a youth hostel pass with a false date of birth on it. Crown inn east hull - don’t look for it, it’s not there anymore :) carling black label in the lounge, later discovered it was cheaper in the bar so we’d buy out beer in there and walk/stagger through, just over a quid IIRC

Not bought for me technically, but at the local Hockey club was bought a pint of Brakspear’s to sit and sup on at the tender at of 13. By the time I was 15 playing with the seniors I was drinking pints of Tally Ho barley wine before and after the match and often coming home slightly worse for wear. Now I barely drink at all, maybe one drink a month and that’s it for me.

15 ish, local disco at Bridge, all of us standing around , drinking, in walks Dad to take us home, bought us a beer...

early 70s ( long time ago now)14/15 years old but i recon i looked 12 on a school trip in wales , sneaked off the camp site went into a village pub with two lads who had been into pubs before as they looked old enough , they ordered their beer then i did in my deepest voice and trying to look experienced" pint of bitter please" LOL , i remember to this day the look he gave me he knew i was nowhere near old enough smiled and served me , then he told us all to sit in that corner LOL, i remember a local saying something to him and him saying they having just the one out loud! proper old school landlord.
    i also remember the first cigarette i had , again i would have been about 15/16 ish on another school trip to France ( Brittney) we sneaked out late at night the teachers were in the hotel bar, we went down to the beach and i was given a fag under peer pressure ! , never smoked one before , some of the others were on 10 a day!!! tried to look cool there were girls present! puffed it did not inhale ! anyway tried again a few more times while we were there, but when we got back the mates i hung around with did not some so did not carry on and i could not afford it anyway , and never smoked again in 50 years since LOL

First cigarette? I was 10, my friend stole one from his Dad's packet. (His dad was a school headmaster and J.P.)😳
    We went down to the beach, lit up, and instantly went ' Yuck' spat it out and never touched one since.

Master
    On a school trip to the First World War battlefields, we had some downtime in Ypres, and a mate suggested we get a beer as we could legally order them as we were 16.
    In we go, and the others lost the bottle and ordered cokes I went with a beer can’t remember the make now, we sat at a table inside, looking out everyone else had congregated in the square and were staring in including the teachers, the other two with me made a hasty exit for the door, I sat and finished my beer and walked out, well I’d paid for it.
    The teacher had a word in my ear later on about it, but the rest of the kids my age thought I was a hero on the trip.

The following year I was in Wales on a geography field trip and the same teacher walks in to the pub where I’m sat drinking with some of the others on the trip all underage being 17, he spots us and takes a seat in another part of the bar, a little while later after another drink or two we leave not before buying the teacher a pint.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by frogspawn View Post
    15 ish, local disco at Bridge, all of us standing around , drinking, in walks Dad to take us home, bought us a beer...
    Please say it wasn’t the country club

Pint of what, though?
    When i was 11 or 12 i was heavily into fishing, and maggots were sold by the pint..........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    On a school trip to the First World War battlefields, we had some downtime in Ypres, and a mate suggested we get a beer as we could legally order them as we were 16.
    This reminded me of my very first beer in a bar, which I enjoyed at the age of 12. I was on a rather grand school trip in the Easter of 1973, essentially a Mediterranean cruise on a ship called Nevasa. At some point we were on a long bus ride on a hot day somewhere in Italy or Greece, and the bus pulled in for a rest stop at a cafe / bar somewhere in the hills. I can remember it clearly, the long counter and a line of bar stools near the window with blinding sunlight pouring in.

The guy behind the bar was serving beers in those little stubby bottles out of a large refrigerator. I was hot and thirsty. I was no stranger to beer even at this age. My dad used to drink Newcastle Amber Ale; he kept the bottles in a cupboard in the kitchen. He'd often give me a small glass on a Saturday. I'd often drunk wine in restaurants with my parents as well, especially on holiday.

So I turned to Mr Taylor, our teacher in attendance, and asked innocently "Do you mind if I have a beer, sir?".

Mr Taylor was a pleasant, quietly spoken man with a pronounced combover. He gave me a slightly weary look but instead of politely declining my request as I expected, he just said "it's best if I get it for you.".

Two minutes later he plonked a very cold, very welcome glass of beer in front of me at the table where I had found a seat. God, it tasted good.

Do you remember the first pint you bought ?

A pint of Stones Best Bitter at The Albion in Sheffield with my dad back in 1983 before I headed off to university - what’s not to like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was in the George, Eastcott Hill, Swindon.

Oh, the glamour!