closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it a good time to sell my hulk?

Is it a good time to sell my hulk?

I have a 2015 unworn since service Rolex hulk. Is it a good time to move on at these crazy times? Wf have just offered 20k! Will I regret selling in a few months time? I’ve bought many many watches over the years but now I’m quite unsure of when is best to sell. Interested in other’s opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only reason why I haven’t listed on here is postage insurance reasons.

Master
    Interesting question given its heavily rumoured they will release a new one this month.

Totally up to you. How much do you love it? If it's unworn for that long, imho it's a sell.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I sold my BLNR recently to help fund a property purchase. The market is stupidly high at the minute for both watches and property so if you need to sell then get it sold. The market may continue to rise but the WF offer sounds good and it'll be relatively risk free. If I was wealthy I wouldn't have sold mine but I'm not so needs must.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Interesting question given its heavily rumoured they will release a new one this month.

Totally up to you. How much do you love it? If it's unworn for that long, imho it's a sell.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    A new hulk? Haven't been keeping an eye on the rumour mill but if that happens it would be a surprise but also not a surprise and make total sense as they got rid of the best part of the watch (the dial) on the current new one. It would be classic unpredictable Rolex if it was always a plan to do so for a limited time as a nod to the original kermit.

In terms of should you sell OP, I guess depends on your circumstances. Nobody can really predict the market but I personally would wait until launch before making a final decision.

You can only look at the deal on the table now, not worry about which way prices may or may not go in the next few years. If you bought it at list in 2015 then getting £20k now is one hell of a return, that’s the way I would look at it.

Even if prices remain high and others cash in, that can affect what the likes of WF may offer if they have too much stock or don’t particularly need another example of your watch.

Get it sold…

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I sold my BLNR recently to help fund a property purchase. The market is stupidly high at the minute for both watches and property so if you need to sell then get it sold. The market may continue to rise but the WF offer sounds good and it'll be relatively risk free. If I was wealthy I wouldn't have sold mine but I'm not so needs must.
    I’m thinking the same. Will help to pay off a commercial mortgage. With interest rates likely to rise I’m thinking pay off the mortgage over keep the hulk and a Tintin I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    You can only look at the deal on the table now, not worry about which way prices may or may not go in the next few years. If you bought it at list in 2015 then getting £20k now is one hell of a return, that’s the way I would look at it.

Even if prices remain high and others cash in, that can affect what the likes of WF may offer if they have too much stock or don’t particularly need another example of your watch.

Get it sold…
    Unfortunately I have only owned it 14 months. Still a very good return though.

Craftsman
    I have not worn my Blue Arabic 116523 Daytona since service last year and the price has gone mental and am considering selling as i am over a year into the waiting list for a skydweller.
    I say sell it if you don't wear it and let someone else love it

Quote Originally Posted by heuerkane View Post
    I’m thinking the same. Will help to pay off a commercial mortgage. With interest rates likely to rise I’m thinking pay off the mortgage over keep the hulk and a Tintin I have.

It's the boring but sensible thing to do. I dk miss my BLNR though. Hopefully when everything is sorted I'll be able to get one again but the priority for me has to be getting another house.

Quote Originally Posted by shaggy View Post
    I have not worn my Blue Arabic 116523 Daytona since service last year and the price has gone mental and am considering selling as i am over a year into the waiting list for a skydweller.
    I say sell it if you don't wear it and let someone else love it
    Lovely watch the blue Arabic Daytona. I’d find it hard to sell that If I was lucky enough to own one.

Craftsman
    I have recently (this week!) sold mine. Didn’t need the money, but to me, it isn’t a £20k plus watch (just my opinion!!). So decided to sell. I bought at RRP in 2017. Didn’t think I’d sell…..but then again, I didn’t think it would go for over £20k.

If you are not wearing, get it sold.

Quote Originally Posted by moynan66 View Post
    I have recently (this week!) sold mine. Didn’t need the money, but to me, it isn’t a £20k plus watch (just my opinion!!). So decided to sell. I bought at RRP in 2017. Didn’t think I’d sell…..but then again, I didn’t think it would go for over £20k.

If you are not wearing, get it sold.
    Totally agree thank you.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Are the trade really paying £20k for these.

The sooner people realise it’s not a £20k watch, the better.

Im not Rolex bashing here but reality needs to kick in very soon, surely these trinkets are are at their peak right now.

OP, sell, sell, sell.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post

Im not Rolex bashing here but reality needs to kick in very soon, surely these trinkets are are at their peak right now.

OP, sell, sell, sell.
    When I had an Omega Snoopy which I paid £8.5k for I was the first to admit it wasn’t even a £4.6k (list price) watch. It was a £3k Speedmaster with a fancy dial and case back. These are £35k to £40k now and in my opinion after owning two they are still only £3k watches, the balance is bragging rights and the ability to post a nice Instagram pic. I’m guessing most Rolex are not far behind this.

Only you can answer that question. Do you value the watch more than the money. It sounds like the money will be useful, and maybe you're not that connected to the Hulk given you've not worn it since service.

I'm wearing mine as a I type this. I much prefer it to my 16610LV or 126610LV, I just love the green dial (it must be the gold dust). I'm not selling as I don't need the money, but sure I will at some point.

Blog Entries
    I don’t need the money so not selling mine. If you need the money and don’t wear it - sell it (that is my motto even if it’s an aquanaut or BLNR etc).

Will let you know in ten years wether I regret it.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 4th March 2022 at 22:06.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Blog Entries
    Sounds about the right time to me

It’s not a £20k watch

When I had an Omega Snoopy which I paid £8.5k for I was the first to admit it wasn’t even a £4.6k (list price) watch. It was a £3k Speedmaster with a fancy dial and case back. These are £35k to £40k now and in my opinion after owning two they are still only £3k watches, the balance is bragging rights and the ability to post a nice Instagram pic. I’m guessing most Rolex are not far behind this.
    Sorry anyone paying 30 - 40k is as thick as a whale omelette

Why would you regret selling something that you haven't worn?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    On e bay etc prices are 22k to 30k ludicrous prices i know! Believe me I’d definitely regret selling it now at 20k if next month I’d get 25k or more. Certainly regret selling my 96 zenith Daytona pat box papers mint for 10k from memory.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Because it might still go up in price?

OP, I know you didn’t ask for a lesson in how much that watch is actually worth in someone’s mind or why people buy Rolex or how smart/dumb those who buy watches at high prices are.
    The answer to your actual question is no one knows.
    20k is a good price and return.
    Can it go up ever higher? Who knows.
    My guess is probably not but that is just a guess. People have been more often wrong than right about it.
    Whether or not you should sell depends on whether you need money to buy something you will wear, what your appetite for risk is etc.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Sorry anyone paying 30 - 40k is as thick as a whale omelette
    I agree, but apparently villages are losing their idiots on a daily basis

Journeyman
    Sell....£20k is nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by numberjack View Post
    Sounds about the right time to me

It’s not a £20k watch
    Obviously it is though.

I agree, but apparently villages are losing their idiots on a daily basis
    I agree with your previous comment, the speedie is not even worth its retail price (and I say that as an owner) I borrowed a Siduna a while back and can honestly say I see no build quality difference between the two (One selling at just over a grand the other selling currently at about 4 grand) Same goes for the sub, a 6 grand watch thats in reality not much more than a 2 or 3 grand one so people buying these things at these insane prices are a penny short of a shilling.

Grand Master
    Like old shoes and clothes,if not worn after 10 years!.

Get them on sc and make a load of cash,you know it makes sense.....

Journeyman
    What a boring thread...Rolex...selling...value...will it increase...will i make more out of my former purchase...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by heuerkane View Post
    On e bay etc prices are 22k to 30k ludicrous prices i know! Believe me I’d definitely regret selling it now at 20k if next month I’d get 25k or more. Certainly regret selling my 96 zenith Daytona pat box papers mint for 10k from memory.

Let’s be realistic here as the situation we are in at the moment is unprecedented, DJ are fetching £k over list when not so long ago you could get 20-30% off with ease and that’s not so long ago and who the hell is going to pay £25-30k for a Hulk ( very nice watches don’t get me wrong )
    IMHO £20k seems a good price and a great investment as with what it probably stands you at is just over £5k including the service and you might get a bit more off the right dealer who’s got a punter as it’s essentially a new watch with the service and warranty/ stickers etc .

It’s never in a million years worth £20k in my opinion same as loads of others in the current sports range and the PP5167 is worth a staggering £70k ( and I own one ) , who knows regards the market as it’s just bonkers , BTW I feel your pain on the 16520 as I had 4 in a year and sold them all and the most expensive was £8k but hey ho .
    Last edited by marksh; 5th March 2022 at 01:00.

Thank you everyone for your reply’s, it has certainly helped me confirm it’s a good time to move on. Especially as it’s going to help clear a commercial mortgage I have. One thing is for sure, interest rates are going to rise.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If your not wearing it ,sell it.Might be a member here who would love it,face to face deal.

Master
    Learn from the forum over the last few years. There are literally hundreds of sad little WISs crying in their beer that they sold a Rolex a few years ago and how much they regret it etc etc.

You never see anyone crying about the fact that they never sold a Rolex.

Just keep the thing, even if you don't wear it. The FTSE has dropped quite a bit recently thanks to Putin but your Rolex is just sitting there slowly going up in value month after month.

I can remember having a chat with Sir John Egan just after he took over Jaguar in the early 1980s. Jaguar was in a mess and you could not give the things away due to poor construction and reliability. He was ruthless and transformed the company quickly and the cars became what they once were, highly sought after glamorous status symbols and their prices increased steadily.

John knew that despite recessions or whatever, there will always be a percentage of people with money to spend and luxury goods are at the top of their wish list. They want quality, glamour and status and those are the things that will consistently appeal to the well heeled.

Therefore Rolex will be a sought after frippery for years to come and with them continuing to be scarce their market value will rise steadily over the years. They are well built and have a good history and best of all you can either stash them in a safe or wear them, either is fine.

Buying a Rolex nearly always makes sense whilst selling a Rolex rarely makes sense.

Keep it and pass it on to your kids when you tire of it.
    Last edited by Mick P; 5th March 2022 at 11:52.

I've got him on ignore. Might I be correct in assuming that he's advising that the OP does not sell his Rolex? ;)

Master
    Mind reader

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post

I've got him on ignore. Might I be correct in assuming that he's advising that the OP does not sell his Rolex? ;)
    Of course he did whilst completely missing the fact that the funds of a sale now can be put to use to make the seller's financial position stronger moving forward (paying off a commercial mortgage etc).

Do bears poo in the woods springs to mind.

Grand Master
    OP, which scenario would cause you most angst:

1. Selling for £20k and seeing the value rise to £30K.

2. Keeping it and seeing the value fall to £10k.

Once you’ve answered that question the decision will make itself.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    OP, which scenario would cause you most angst:

1. Selling for £20k and seeing the value rise to £30K.

2. Keeping it and seeing the value fall to £10k.

Once you’ve answered that question the decision will make itself.
    Worth adding that since he's redeploying the 20 k to pay off a commercial mortgage, the prudent man might also bear in mind the direction of interest rates...over the long term bricks and mortar would be, has been my choice of investment vehicle.

Get it sold…
    You think? I sold a Nautilus and an Aquanaut 2-3 years ago for £40k; I'd now sell them in an instant for £100k. if you think the market for hot watches doesn't warrant careful thought, it can only be because you don't own any hot watches (and I don't mean that in an offensive way).

I think much depends as always on personal attitude to risk and what your investment goals are, whether you're generating income and/or going for growth and return in the long run, whether taking a punt on 'hot watches' might work for the individual. Just my view of course...as they always say when flogging an investment product... past performance is not necessarily a guide to the future.
    Last edited by Passenger; 5th March 2022 at 13:38.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    You think? I sold a Nautilus and an Aquanaut 2-3 years ago for £40k; I'd now sell them in an instant for £100k. if you think the market for hot watches doesn't warrant careful thought, it can only be because you don't own any hot watches (and I don't mean that in an offensive way).
    Like others I’ve owned and sold watches that have gone bonkers, Aquanaut, Daytona (several inc white ceramic), GMTs, Subs, SDs and two Omega Snoopy’s etc and my point is if the deal today is an attractive one, you cannot spend the following months or years regretting or whinging about the direction that the market has taken.

Those with large collections who have no need for money at present will of course just sit on their watches and good luck to them, but there are plenty of others who need that money for other things and have to make a balanced judgement at some point.

Agree with WR you'll only drive yourself nuts with the looking backwards, regrets business, that kind of thinking's bad news IF it's investment you're about...looking at it another way if the 40 k had been rolled into the right property 2 to 3 years ago, given the incredible house price boom due to covid and government interventions, with the gearing/ leverage a mortgage provides, could well be looking at way better than a 100 k today, plus potentially some rental income over the years on top of growth in asset value...theoretically speaking...though in fairness that'd require some 'work' instead of just buying some stuff and waiting so maybe not strictly speaking a fair, like 4 like comparison.
    Last edited by Passenger; 5th March 2022 at 13:56.

Grand Master
    The big increase in prices has created a dilemma for some owners who bought the watches when prices were far more sensible; they still like the watch and are happy to continue owning but it now represents a significant chunk of money that could be put to better use.

I’ve owned a few Rolex over the years and from a financial perspective I should've kept them, but I don’t believe in looking back and playing the ‘if only’ game and I’d advise others to do the same.

If I was the OP I think I’d take the profit, but that’s me, I don’t even like the watch because its green!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post

OP, sell, sell, sell.
    Two things worth remembering,

1. The trade knows the value better than any of us lot. They need to sell to turn their cash so the price should be achievable or at least negotiable around that price.

2. If someone actually pays the £20K, it's worth £20k.

I can remember paying £9,150 for a house in 1972 and my neighbour reckoned prices had peaked, was he wrong or was he wrong.

Master
    Another issue for me OP ( and a few of my mates ) the prices have rocketed and the market seems out of control along with the damn wearing of them & security / storage etc as they are that noticeable and thefts are happening day in day out all over the world.

If you don’t need the money then have a decent think but if you can put it to good use and you’re not wearing it
    ( which is an issue for a lot of folk now due to the value ) then start asking around and seriously consider selling it as like I said you might get a bit more from the right dealer if he’s got someone lined up for one .

Master
    With the coming inevitable war, I'd sell and spend the money on prepping.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I can remember paying £9,150 for a house in 1972 and my neighbour reckoned prices had peaked, was he wrong or was he wrong.
    Nonsense comparison which is of no relevance to the discussion.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Nonsense comparison which is of no relevance to the discussion.
    Get a brain.

The few dealers I have spoken with over the past week or two have all said prices have recently levelled off with not much moving.

Who knows what the future holds but assuming the watch owes your around £5k then a £15k profit isn't bad at all.

Angry

do the opposite of what i would do and youll be fine...sold mine for 5k a few years ago