closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 66 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast
Results 3,251 to 3,300 of 4124

Thread: The unified Rolex in the window thread

Craftsman
    In T5 yesterday and popped into WOS for kicks. Pretty much all lists closed accept two tone and all gold watches.

On side note tried on OP 41 and little disappointed if I’m honest. Lug length seam a bit long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master

The unified Rolex in the window thread

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I know someone who got the call for a steel Daytona very recently and was told payment by bank transfer only. On stuff like that they want all the margin possible.
    Funny you say that, the AD I use it not accepting Amex, prefers not Visa and prefers debit card .
    Last edited by joe narvey; 12th October 2022 at 16:13.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pan16520 View Post
    I agree cannot see the situation ending , the only way there will be a drop in demand is if the whole world economy goes to the dogs and then believe me we will have bigger worries than wait lists. Social media has seen to demand always outstripping supply.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    100% agree. Rolex would have worked for years and years to get to this point. Exclusivity is a watch makers dream!

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    An AD I spoke to recently quoted 12 years for a stainless Daytona. You have to laugh.
    I’ve been waiting since 2006 & have regular purchase history … I won’t go to the non authorised, which is to my detriment as the cost of a new Daytona has increased significantly since 2006 … oh well first world problem .. I have placed a note in with my last will and testament that my headstone can be inscribed “ still waiting for his Daytona !”
    I am a realist & do not expect this goal to be achieved before my trip on life’s conveyor belt ceases .
    Last edited by Norbert; 12th October 2022 at 14:50.

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Funny you say that, the AD I use it not accept Amex, prefers not Visa and prefers debit card .
    How depressing. I just got 1.25% back on my last purchase. Closest thing you're going to get to a discount these days.

I'd accept it on a Daytona but for the other stuff I'd really want it on the Amex.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Norbert View Post
    I’ve been waiting since 2006 & have regular purchase history
    Good grief.

Master
    Human nature is a curious thing. You have to wonder if people would want these watches so much if they were readily available.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Human nature is a curious thing. You have to wonder if people would want these watches so much if they were readily available.
    It always makes me think of the time KFC ran out of chicken and it was headline news all over the UK. People going mental because they want their chicken NOW.

Probably only in the queue because they heard they couldn't get a piece!

Blog Entries
    It always makes me think of the time KFC ran out of chicken and it was headline news all over the UK. People going mental because they want their chicken NOW.

Probably only in the queue because they heard they couldn't get a piece!
    Rolex, to watches what KFC is to fast food.

I'd have thought they'd rather be compared to McDonalds!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    I’ve thought that, if each AD received as many of each model that they wanted and starting ringing around saying we have the watch in, plenty for everybody, there will even be stock in the windows for people walking past, you still interested Sir.

That list would immediately shrink to a handful of people who genuinely want to own that watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I’ve thought that, if each AD received as many of each model that they wanted and starting ringing around saying we have the watch in, plenty for everybody, there will even be stock in the windows for people walking past, you still interested Sir.

That list would immediately shrink to a handful of people who genuinely want to own that watch.
    Indeed. People would just buy what they like. How it should be. Anyway. Is what it is.

I’ve been waiting since 2006 & have regular purchase history … I won’t go to the non authorised, which is to my detriment as the cost of a new Daytona has increased significantly since 2006 … oh well first world problem .. I have placed a note in with my last will and testament that my headstone can be inscribed “ still waiting for his Daytona !”
    I am a realist & do not expect this goal to be achieved before my trip on life’s conveyor belt ceases .
    To be fair, what do you need to do is put basically everything you’ve purchased in the last 10 years in one go with an AD and then see how well you do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you had bought 'grey' in 2006 you would be £££'s up now.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    If you had bought 'grey' in 2006 you would be £££'s up now.
    Plus 16 years of enjoying the watch.

Master
    How depressing. I just got 1.25% back on my last purchase. Closest thing you're going to get to a discount these days.
    That is a nice kickback from your last purchase. Enough to buy yourself a complimentary strap perhaps?

Craftsman

Plus 16 years of enjoying the watch.
    Yes , I do agree , but it’s a matter of principle.
    I know , the only person who is at a loss is me and my bank account as the previous respondent has pointed if I had purchased from grey in 2006 I would be £££’s in , & yes all my purchases have been at the same AD and for watches from Rolex / Tudor .
    I do realise I am up against professional sports players and business people with much more financial clout and connections than me .
    I will add also that the AD I am loyal to staff and management are really nice and really knowledgable people .

Patience is a virtue ….

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Norbert; 12th October 2022 at 20:42.

Patience is a virtue …
    But doesn’t always deliver or reward loyalty.

I can’t believe they haven’t had a few Daytonas in all that time but they have never offered you one. I would be reassessing where I was spending my money!

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    That is a nice kickback from your last purchase. Enough to buy yourself a complimentary strap perhaps?
    Another £23 needed to get to that. Expensive straps.

Master
    Another £23 needed to get to that. Expensive straps.
    But have you deducted the cash back you will get back on the strap purchase???

Could bring it under £20 to make it worthwhile!

Master
    Yes , I do agree , but it’s a matter of principle.
    I know , the only person who is at a loss is me and my bank account as the previous respondent has pointed if I had purchased from grey in 2006 I would be £££’s in , & yes all my purchases have been at the same AD and for watches from Rolex / Tudor .
    I do realise I am up against professional sports players and business people with much more financial clout and connections than me .
    I will add also that the AD I am loyal to staff and management are really nice and really knowledgable people .

Patience is a virtue ….
    To be honest you not getting one is simple down to you. I had no relationship with any AD at all and managed to get one in 2013. Took a bit of work, few phone calls etc but I got one. After that it was then quite easy to get a Rolex. Even got 4% off a BLNR a few months later. Back then I know of others in the same boat, just required a bit of leg work. I think in the time you’ve waited, your AD hasn’t really done you any favours. Even against higher spenders in 16 years I’d have thought they could have delivered. It’s only the last say 3 years it gone totally crazy in price rises and say 3 years before that when it started becoming harder.

Craftsman
    An AD I spoke to recently quoted 12 years for a stainless Daytona. You have to laugh.
    At least they quoted a time frame. My AD has closed lists on almost all in demand pieces (including some PM models), to new and existing customers!

Master

Very true ^^^ and I’m sure Rolex realise that if they ever actually supplied the demand, it would be game over. People are buying all the date justs and bi metals that they previously struggled to shift even at a discount, now they sell. So keep the desired professional steels below the true demand and it will help maintain desire.

It’s not that many years ago that people would strive to buy a single Rolex and it would be a very big deal (my first was for me). You know you’d lose maybe 10% or 20% but it was a grail for people. Then fast forward a few years and you knew you could get back what you paid for it so people were happy to buy another one and become a mini collector. Fast forward to the last half a dozen years and people have been buying multiple watches as you can’t lose money and can possibly double it. Globally most things are seemingly struggle. High end goods will pay a price just like everything else. Rolex making buying any Rolex easy would be the worst thing they could do in this market. Bizarre world and set of rules really but that’s the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Very true ^^^ and I’m sure Rolex realise that if they ever actually supplied the demand, it would be game over. People are buying all the date justs and bi metals that they previously struggled to shift even at a discount, now they sell. So keep the desired professional steels below the true demand and it will help maintain desire.

It’s not that many years ago that people would strive to buy a single Rolex and it would be a very big deal (my first was for me). You know you’d lose maybe 10% or 20% but it was a grail for people. Then fast forward a few years and you knew you could get back what you paid for it so people were happy to buy another one and become a mini collector. Fast forward to the last half a dozen years and people have been buying multiple watches as you can’t lose money and can possibly double it. Globally most things are seemingly struggle. High end goods will pay a price just like everything else. Rolex making buying any Rolex easy would be the worst thing they could do in this market. Bizarre world and set of rules really but that’s the way it is.
    I would agree. I bought a steel ceramic Daytona in 2016 for £13.75k against a list at that time of around £8.5k and some thought that was madness. Unfortunately I sold that on before the market went mad. Recently I bought the ceramic GMT BLRO on SC for a premium and I am happy with the deal. Impossible to buy at list unless you are someone with influence with some ADs having closed the waiting list for this model. I was surprised that it sat there for so long before I got in touch with the seller, but he was happy to negotiate and a deal was done.

Each year someone who was lucky enough to get on the waiting list will see the list price steadily increase possibly to a point that the greys were asking when they first went on the list.

For some of the hotter models, the man maths actually supports calling it quits and buying from the secondary market, but private if you get the opportunity.

I didn’t buy with money, value or investment as primary considerations. An opportunity arose for me to buy a decent watch and the GMT was in the right place at the right time.

As they say, if you keep hold of it you have lost nothing.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 12th October 2022 at 23:13.

As Mick P. says:-)

Quote Originally Posted by RajLondon View Post
    At least they quoted a time frame. My AD has closed lists on almost all in demand pieces (including some PM models), to new and existing customers!
    The quoting of 12 years is just them saying “go away”.

£15k in the bank or held in an asset is no loss. Minus £15k in the bank and £7,500 on your personal asset sheet is a loss, which is what the doomsayers would see that watch in a few years. Economical statements can't work, so I just live by 'it's your money, your choice'.

Quote Originally Posted by MacDeath View Post
    £15k in the bank or held in an asset is no loss. Minus £15k in the bank and £7,500 on your personal asset sheet is a loss, which is what the doomsayers would see that watch in a few years. Economical statements can't work, so I just live by 'it's your money, your choice'.
    The same doomsayers predicted the collapse of the Daytona prices a few years back and they have more than doubled since. Nothing is certain, but unless Rolex start filling their stores with more stock I don’t see secondary market prices dropping back to list price any time soon.

Just got to go with what you think is right for you at the time.

Master
    Supply and demand have been very fickle lately, but supply is slowly returning.

WoS Regent Street now have ladies DateJust's for sale in the cabinet, although all the mens stuff is still exhibition only. It is slowly improving.

An observation though, is no AD I've been to in London has a DayDate at the moment. Wonder if Rolex is trying to pump out steel DateJusts to quell demand.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    To be honest you not getting one is simple down to you. I had no relationship with any AD at all and managed to get one in 2013. Took a bit of work, few phone calls etc but I got one. After that it was then quite easy to get a Rolex. Even got 4% off a BLNR a few months later. Back then I know of others in the same boat, just required a bit of leg work. I think in the time you’ve waited, your AD hasn’t really done you any favours. Even against higher spenders in 16 years I’d have thought they could have delivered. It’s only the last say 3 years it gone totally crazy in price rises and say 3 years before that when it started becoming harder.
    You observations and comments do ring true .
    I was not proactive enough during the early years , thinking the watch would appear … it’s my fault I know and the grail acquisition urgency due to advancing years and the state of the market never dawned on me until it was too late .
    Comments from others on this thread are warranted and I take them on the chin and with the benefit of hindsight ……….. oh well .
    Stay sane , healthy and enjoy our communal mutual passion .
    Thank you all for your observations and comments.

Blog Entries
    the grail acquisition urgency
    Nice phrase. :-)

I am sad that it is now unlikely that you'll get your grail but, on the bright side, there are other more accessible, often better, watches out there.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Nice phrase. :-)

I am sad that it is now unlikely that you'll get your grail but, on the bright side, there are other more accessible, often better, watches out there.
    Thankyou !
    I still enjoy looking and the temptation never goes away , however this particular yearning will not be extinguished I’m afraid …. As I said earlier it is a first world problem and a self inflicted wound !

Thankyou !
    I still enjoy looking and the temptation never goes away , however this particular yearning will not be extinguished I’m afraid …. As I said earlier it is a first world problem and a self inflicted wound !
    What is the yearning, to own this particular watch or to achieve that by getting to the front of the queue and receiving the call. I agree with others, that call is very unlikely to happen. The honest sellers will be looking after their VIP customers and I’m sure others have found a way to get these to the grey market with an appropriate kickback.

I disagree with the buy another brand, buy another watch logic. It will sit on your wrist and might be fantastic, but it’s not the watch you really want. Been there, done that.

What is the yearning, to own this particular watch or to achieve that by getting to the front of the queue and receiving the call. I agree with others, that call is very unlikely to happen. The honest sellers will be looking after their VIP customers and I’m sure others have found a way to get these to the grey market with an appropriate kickback.

I disagree with the buy another brand, buy another watch logic. It will sit on your wrist and might be fantastic, but it’s not the watch you really want. Been there, done that.
    Agree wholeheartedly with this.

That said, it is good to see other watches actually being considered instead of just Rolex etc and I see more acquaintances wearing watches I would not have expected to see a few years ago. I recently sold a property and relocated, then bought a watch grey at RRP + 50% from surplus cash left over after a property sale. It was what I wanted and would have probably whittled away the cash. The watch continued to increase in price and even after the initial cooling of prices, it is still above what I paid. Even if the watch falls to RRP, the amount I will lose is not a massive amount, so I am happy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
    The quoting of 12 years is just them saying “go away”.
    Thought the same. Maybe 12/18 months means possible. Beyond that, there’ll always be the likelihood you’re being fed a line. I’ve never been “promised” a timescale but definitely in that boat myself.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Thought the same. Maybe 12/18 months means possible. Beyond that, there’ll always be the likelihood you’re being fed a line. I’ve never been “promised” a timescale but definitely in that boat myself.
    WoS told me they simply aren't putting anyone on the Daytona waiting lists. They might take your name and address, but they aren't sending your name to head office for an allocation.

You won't be surprised to hear that they are bored out of their mind having customers coming in asking for Daytonas.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by funkstar View Post
    You won't be surprised to hear that they are bored out of their mind having customers coming in asking for Daytonas.
    And every other Rolex model!

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    And every other Rolex model!
    I was chatting to the guy in Schiphol a couple of weeks ago - he gets asked minimum of 50 times per day.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

If they don’t want to get asked about watches, they probably shouldn’t work in a watch shop.

Quote Originally Posted by hansblix2001 View Post
    If they don’t want to get asked about watches, they probably shouldn’t work in a watch shop.
    A kid in the back seat of a car asking "are we there yet" 100x isn't the same as discussing the car, route, or destination.

A kid in the back seat of a car asking "are we there yet" 100x isn't the same as discussing the car, route, or destination.
    Join any watch group on social media and the question comes up multiple times daily. Many new people look to start buying a watch every day and they don't already know the issue. Doesn't stop other members taking the mickey though.

Why don’t they put some sort of sign up, something diplomatic like ‘a request for a Daytona or a GMT often results in a smack in the face’. Simple and to the point.

I had some time to kill in town yesterday so wondered into the local Rolex Boutique to have a looksie. In truth, I didn’t have a strong intention to buy anything and I knew I was safe as they wouldn’t be in a position to sell me anything either but I’ve long been curious about an OP36.

Can I help you sir?
    Yes, I’m aware that buying a Rolex is not straightforward but I noticed you had a couple of exhibition pieces in the window and I was curious about trying on an Oyster Perpetual.
    Yes, we have a 41,36 and 34 to try. These are registration pieces only, I hope you understand. Would it be your first Rolex?
    Yes, it would.
    How wonderful. I’m afraid we don’t accept walk-ins but I’d be happy to book you an appointment to try one on.
    Errrr. Right you are. Bye then.

The store was completely empty. Just me, the shop assistant and a security guard. All stood around, doing nothing and the watches were visibly in reach. Never heard of making an appointment to try a watch on that you can’t buy. Maybe it’s just a step to stop time wasters like me going on lists on a whim but honestly, how silly!

Edit:
    This might be normal. It was a shock to me though.

Master
    Was that an Aurum group dealer by any chance?

Was that an Aurum group dealer by any chance?
    No, it was actually an independent.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    No, it was actually an independent.

Prestons I'll wager....?

Odd, I went into Goldsmiths in Liverpool a few months back and they let me try several on. There was nothing for sale, so I suppose it helped the guy pass half an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Prestons I'll wager....?
    Yup

Odd, I went into Goldsmiths in Liverpool a few months back and they let me try several on. There was nothing for sale, so I suppose it helped the guy pass half an hour.
    Well that was my thought. We’re both here, the watches are here, neither of us have anything else to do, why not just let me try on the watches?

Nope. You must prove your dedication to going on the list by going away and coming back at a time that suits the AD so that they might honour you with an opportunity.

It’s fine, like I said, I’m not really looking to buy anyway and I was expecting a slightly snooty shopping experience but that was a bit much.

Master
    Well that was my thought. We’re both here, the watches are here, neither of us have anything else to do, why not just let me try on the watches?

Nope. You must prove your dedication to going on the list by going away and coming back at a time that suits the AD so that they might honour you with an opportunity.

It’s fine, like I said, I’m not really looking to buy anyway and I was expecting a slightly snooty shopping experience but that was a bit much.
    All the Rolex dealers are being incredibly difficult.

But, in their defence they have nothing to sell, and for staff who work on a commission that must be really cra**y.

Yup

Natch.