closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 280 of 364 FirstFirst ... 180230270278279280281282290330 ... LastLast
Results 13,951 to 14,000 of 18159

Thread: More bike related stuff

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    I need to have a proper look when I have time but I think I need to disconnect the brake lever / foot peg assembly?

I wish I had a wider space in the garage, a proper table lift would be great to have.
    Whereabouts are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Whereabouts are you?
    Northamptonshire

Master
    Northamptonshire
    Ahh OK..

For fairly mundane reasons I've not ridden a motorbike for a calendar month.
    Today I did.
    It was good.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Today I did.
    It was good.
    Unforgivable

It was actually very straightforward to remove the rear brake master assembly once I had a proper look.

Any tips for locking the back wheel so that I can get the front sprocket nut undone?

Taking the wheel off and pinning the chain isnt really an easy option as the axle is used as a conversion to fit bobbins to get the bike up on the paddock stand.

Ive tried putting it in first gear but theres not enough resistance, Ive tried chocking the back wheel and Ive had Mrs C sat on the back seat.

Any other tried and tested ways I could give a whirl?

Jam a piece of wood between secondary sprocket and chain.

It was actually very straightforward to remove the rear brake master assembly once I had a proper look.

Any tips for locking the back wheel so that I can get the front sprocket nut undone?

Taking the wheel off and pinning the chain isnt really an easy option as the axle is used as a conversion to fit bobbins to get the bike up on the paddock stand.

Ive tried putting it in first gear but theres not enough resistance, Ive tried chocking the back wheel and Ive had Mrs C sat on the back seat.

If you have a tyre centre local pop along and ask if they'll stick their windy gun on it for you, then just get them to nip it up and ride back home.
    I had the same issue on my son's Z900RS recently, luckily I have a local tyre centre just a mile up the road.
    Gave the lad 10 for his trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Today I did.
    It was good.
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Unforgivable
    If it helps, as penance, I'm planning to get out on the other bike tomorrow (possibly in rain).

Master

Any tips for locking the back wheel so that I can get the front sprocket nut undone? .

I use a Dewalt DCF894 Battery powered impact gun.

I use a Dewalt DCF894 Battery powered impact gun.
    Funnily enough, I have been looking at the Makita one tonight as I have the batteries from the other tools but Im not sure Ill use it enough, or ever again!

Quote Originally Posted by BRGRSP View Post
    If you have a tyre centre local pop along and ask if they'll stick their windy gun on it for you, then just get them to nip it up and ride back home.
    I had the same issue on my son's Z900RS recently, luckily I have a local tyre centre just a mile up the road.
    Gave the lad 10 for his trouble.
    Not a bad idea, only thing is I would have to strip the brake assembly off before and refit after, could be too much of a faff

Master
    Funnily enough, I have been looking at the Makita one tonight as I have the batteries from the other tools but Im not sure Ill use it enough, or ever again!
    Ive seen the entry level Makita ones for just under 60

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Jam a piece of wood between secondary sprocket and chain.
    ^^^This is the simplest, if it still isn't enough then a steel dowel (correct diameter screwdriver shank) between the front sprocket teeth and chain. Get the wife to hold the blade steady whilst you undo the nut.

More bike related stuff

An impact driver is probably my most used tool. Its not just for loosening tight bolts. I have three dewalt 18v drivers (two small ones and a 1/2 drive) and use them all the time. I also have a 240v mains driver for the heavier stuff. If non of that works, I have a 1m bar with a 1/2 drive on the end.

A block of wood through the back wheel or stopping the chain as mentioned above should do the trick. But make sure youve knocked the tabs back on the retaining washer first.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    An impact driver is probably my most used tool. It’s not just for loosening tight bolts. I have three dewalt 18v drivers (two small ones and a 1/2” drive) and use them all the time. I also have a 240v mains driver for the heavier stuff. If non of that works, I have a 1m bar with a 1/2” drive on the end.

A block of wood through the back wheel or stopping the chain as mentioned above should do the trick. But make sure you’ve knocked the tabs back on the retaining washer first.
    Don’t use an impact driver you want an impact wrench - there’s a big difference

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Don’t use an impact driver you want an impact wrench - there’s a big difference
    You are correct, sorry, it was my fault. It was an impact wrench that Enoch first mentioned and was being discussed.

I hardly ever use my impact driver!

Craftsman

Honda CFR300L

Bought myself a Honda CRF300L as a run-around to save wearing the tyres out on the big 'uns

Remarkable how well made and well finished it is compared to the European dirt bikes I've had, the dirt just rinses off because everything is painted properly!

Capable off-road and much nicer on-road than a "proper" dirt bike too, trouble is I'm just not gelling with it so I'll probably end up swapping it for something less sensible.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by usedtobelurch View Post
    Bought myself a Honda CRF300L as a run-around to save wearing the tyres out on the big 'uns

Remarkable how well made and well finished it is compared to the European dirt bikes I've had, the dirt just rinses off because everything is painted properly!

Capable off-road and much nicer on-road than a "proper" dirt bike too, trouble is I'm just not gelling with it so I'll probably end up swapping it for something less sensible.
    I do like these

Well chaps, an early finish today meant I had the afternoon to try again. I tried a couple of other tips but just couldnt get it loose.

Out of desperation before I did 200 on an impact wrench, I thought Id try my impact driver.

A few adapters and the half inch 36mm socket is attached. It only worked!!

It makes a real difference and Im very glad I persevered.

Nice work Greg, love a bit of improvisation

Master
    Well chaps, an early finish today meant I had the afternoon to try again. I tried a couple of other tips but just couldnt get it loose.

Out of desperation before I did 200 on an impact wrench, I thought Id try my impact driver.

A few adapters and the half inch 36mm socket is attached. It only worked!!

It makes a real difference and Im very glad I persevered.
    They really do make light work of this type of job.. Id advise a torque wrench for re fitting the bolt though.. the spec is 180Nm..

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    Nice work Greg, love a bit of improvisation
    Cheers Matt, small victories and all that.

They really do make light work of this type of job.. Id advise a torque wrench for re fitting the bolt though.. the spec is 180Nm..
    I was surprised the driver worked to be honest, all torqued back up correctly

Vibration/impact action is the most effective method, and when it is concentric - the ultimate (as oposed to a hammer on a flogging spanner)

Just added this one for tinkering with to the stable.. private boak plate already gone... Might throw a gsxr1000 engine in it for shits and giggles.

Sent from my HD1910 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by davie0146; 27th October 2022 at 19:51.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Vibration/impact action is the most effective method, and when it is concentric - the ultimate (as oposed to a hammer on a flogging spanner)
    Agreed, but I didnt think the little driver would have enough in it, I thought I was going to have to buy an impact wrench, very glad I tried it.

Master
    After a few rides let us know what you think of the new gearing According to my fuel consumption app Im now averaging around 67 mpg with my new gearing. On the old gearing it was 64 mpg..👍🤓

Master
    Im thinking of upping the front sprocket on my T7 to 16

What method did you use to prevent it turning when you did the nut back up?

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    What method did you use to prevent it turning when you did the nut back up?
    I was able to hold it with the front brake, whilst leaning on and holding the bike and torque with the right hand.

After a few rides let us know what you think of the new gearing According to my fuel consumption app Im now averaging around 67 mpg with my new gearing. On the old gearing it was 64 mpg..👍🤓
    I dont track my MPG, so wont have any data for that. I took it for a test ride after and immediately the gearing felt better for me, feels like 6th gear will come into play a bit more now as well.

Master
    I feels like 6th gear will come into play a bit more now as well.
    Thats why theres an improvement in MPG, which is neither here or there in the great scheme of things..
    The biggest benefit is that the bike should feel a little punchier off the line and through the gears.
    Its a cheap mod thats reversible, but IMO suits the nature of the bike, and the types of roads us Brits ride on..

New bike day (for me) tomorrow. Touring Europe again next year and wanted something more punchy than my GS and more comfy and with better range than the Streetfighter.
    KTM1290GT. It ticks all the boxes for me and Having spent a day on my friends Superduke R I think this one is going to make me happy....
    Definitely the last bike I'll buy for a while.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    New bike day (for me) tomorrow. Touring Europe again next year and wanted something more punchy than my GS and more comfy and with better range than the Streetfighter.
    KTM1290GT. It ticks all the boxes for me and Having spent a day on my friends Superduke R I think this one is going to make me happy....

I'm not a KTM fan normally but that looks fantastic, Ray.

That was on my list in 2016, and again this month as a replacement for my S1000XR. Will stick with an XR, but the 'punch' appeal of the big twin for twisty roads was so-o tempting.

Reckon you will enjoy that!

New bike day (for me) tomorrow.
    They do look the business..
    I can`t keep up with what bikes you have - you seem to swap and change a lot!
    I wouldn`t mind a blat on a 1290 KTM one day just to see if they are as mental as their reputation suggests although overall i would think they`re a little bit `one-dimensional` for me..

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    They do look the business..
    I can`t keep up with what bikes you have - you seem to swap and change a lot!
    I wouldn`t mind a blat on a 1290 KTM one day just to see if they are as mental as their reputation suggests although overall i would think they`re a little bit `one-dimensional` for me..
    Only 5 bikes as of tomorrow but that's definitely it. Next time I buy, something will have to go. :)

New bike day (for me) tomorrow.
    Definitely got the looks, and I hear that they also got the character to match.
    Am I wrong if I think they are a bit on the "high maintenance" side?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I'm hoping not. 5 bikes does cost a bit in maintenance, servicing etc but it's the one thing I enjoy above everything else.

Truth be told, once I decided I wanted this bike, that was it. Looked at loads of reviews and essentially cherry picked the ones that told me what I wanted to hear! Lol. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    My 1290 R needed nothing over and above normal servicing.

Nice...relative comfort and practicality with the benefit of that superb engine

Master
    My mates Garage..

On the left Fireblade, Ducati 1098, Speedtriple 1200, then theres a 1980 BMW R80, Thruxton R and to the right a CRF 300

He recons he has room for 1 more.👍👍

My mates Garage..

On the left Fireblade, Ducati 1098, Speedtriple 1200, then theres a 1980 BMW R80, Thruxton R and to the right a CRF 300

He recons he has room for 1 more.👍👍

Definitely room for a little un!

My mates Garage..

He recons he has room for 1 more.

That looks like a dealership showroom compared to mine which are shoehorned in - in all orientations!

I'd drag them out for a photo, but then the neighbours would see exactly how many there are!

My mates Garage..

He recons he has room for 1 more.

I quite fancy a CRF300L.......

Sun is shining and a two hour ride home. Serious grin on my face now. What a superb bike!

Last edited by manganr; 29th October 2022 at 14:38.

Sun is shining and a two hour ride home. Serious grin on my face now. What a superb bike!

Master
    Taking advantage of the decent weather.

Talking of Guzzi's, I'm really loving the look and reviews of the V100 Mandello