closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 38 of 103 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,900 of 5110

Thread: Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Some things never change - I can remember headlines about petrol station queues before Christmas, usually for the same reason, i.e. people running their tank down ahead of a long trip, and leaving it to the day itself to refuel. The technology may change, but the dumber side of human behaviour doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I think the fact it makes headline news when people queue for a Tesla charger is telling! Queuing for chargers when you don't have a Tesla is par for the course and so when it happens with Teslas it seems to make front page news.

Re punctures, this happened last month and Kwik Fit replaced it within 30 mins of me driving in.

Surprised that was repairable.

I think the fact it makes headline news when people queue for a Tesla charger is telling! Queuing for chargers when you don't have a Tesla is par for the course and so when it happens with Teslas it seems to make front page news.

Re punctures, this happened last month and Kwik Fit replaced it within 30 mins of me driving in.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    It looks like it wasnt

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    It looks like it wasnt
    Doh!

Master
    Queuing for chargers when you don't have a Tesla is par for the course and so when it happens with Teslas it seems to make front page news.
    That might be the case where you live or drive, but it isnt the case in my experience.

Queues for rapid chargers are a rarity for me whether Im in the Tesla or the VW, which makes sense as there are far more non Tesla rapid chargers than Tesla ones.

I just got my "one year on" survey from Tesla. Went to town naturally. Some great stuff with Tesla but a lot of the basics aren't there. Not allowed to view the front facing camera, no speed camera alerts, no carplay, wiper auto setting pathetic, water enters the driver's side window if open and you set the wipers off.

Still, best infotainment ever in the history of cars. That's something.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Nope, 350 for a new tyre

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I just got my "one year on" survey from Tesla. Went to town naturally. Some great stuff with Tesla but a lot of the basics aren't there. Not allowed to view the front facing camera, no speed camera alerts, no carplay, wiper auto setting pathetic, water enters the driver's side window if open and you set the wipers off.

Yeah the wipers are rubbish. Absolute garbage AI on them

Master

Have you seen/tried the BMW iX infotainment system ?

Master
    Yeah the wipers are rubbish. Absolute garbage AI on them
    We find the wipers on our 2021 model ok, not suffered the woes that many report.

The automatic dipping headlights on the other hand seem very slow and dimwitted, especially compared to the matrix adaptive headlights on the GTX.

Still, it would be a rare car that didnt have any irritations or things that couldnt be improved, the ID.4 has a few too!

Nope, 350 for a new tyre
    350 ? That's some expensive tyre. What size is it ?

Did they yank your pants down to your ankles or just the knee on that ?
    Last edited by reggie747; 29th December 2022 at 14:17.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post

I want a set for that!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    I want a set for that!
    Must be a Tesla thing.......loadsa money for the car......loadsa money for the tyres !!

Master
    Not just Tesla, EV tyres are very expensive, Im told because of the weight rating. My BMW came with tyre insurance as they are over 450 a corner.

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Not just Tesla, EV tyres are very expensive, Im told because of the weight rating. My BMW came with tyre insurance as they are over 450 a corner.
    Blimey! What are the wear rates like? I'd have assumed the instant torque from electric could wear the driven wheel tyres quite quickly.

My BMW came with tyre insurance as they are over 450 a corner.
    Yeah, they probably are.....cos no doubt someone is making a killing on the supply route to you.

Have you seen/tried the BMW iX infotainment system ?
    I was joking with the last part -that was something Ryan said a day or two ago. The Tesla information is quite poor.

BMW iX looks nice but too expensive for me.

Fook me. But it is Kwik Fit, so not that surprised.

Im glad my EV incoming is on a full replacement and maintenance package.

Master

The Michelins with the Tesla specific rating have an acoustic-foam lining designed to try and reduce tyre noise in the cabin.

Whether that makes them worth the cash, Ive no idea, but I know that two rears for ours were not much more than what Ryan paid for one

You can of course fit standard tyres of the appropriate rating, EVs arent that heavy in comparison to a lot of comparable ICE models.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Whether that makes them worth the cash, I’ve no idea, but I know that two rears for ours were not much more than what Ryan paid for one…
    Possibly poetic license then...

Same guy spends 500 nicker a week on takeaways.

Master
    I was joking with the last part -that was something Ryan said a day or two ago. The Tesla information is quite poor.

BMW iX looks nice but too expensive for me.
    Thats the first time I have heard someone describe the iX as looking nice, presumably you are just referring to the interior?!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    Thats the first time I have heard someone describe the iX as looking nice, presumably you are just referring to the interior?!

Funny you say that. Im still in two minds about some of the external features, but the internal features and drive are good.

The obligatory watch shot ..

Last edited by joe narvey; 29th December 2022 at 16:23.

Master
    Funny you say that. Im still in two minds about some of the external features, but the internal features and drive are good.

Th obligatory watch shot ..

Im sure they are great cars - the reviews are good and they probably look better in some colours than others. It was on my list of possible options to replace my E-tron but in the end I went with a polestar 3.
    The new Q8 E-tron looks to be a good option too as they have addressed the main issues with the original E-tron being the disappointing range and slightly stodgy handling but I just wanted to try something different.

Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post

I should have thought that one through! Exterior looks interesting but the interior looks lovely.

Looks good in a similar way to a Ploprof. Hideous to most but something quite nice about it.

You have a model 3 I presume? I have a model Y and there were no replacement tyres via Tesla mobile for a Model Y in the Country.

My car is leased and so I had to have their permission to use a non OEM tyre as apparently EV tyres are different and permission for a non Tesla service provider. I now have 3 Hankooks and 1 Michelin. Tesla recovery also took 4 hours to pick me up on 21st December.

I now have Slime ready for any future issues!

I just got my "one year on" survey from Tesla. Went to town naturally. Some great stuff with Tesla but a lot of the basics aren't there.

Not allowed to view the front facing camera,
    no speed camera alerts,
    no carplay (unlikely as they can charge you for Spotify and satellite imagery)
    wiper auto setting - just doesnt work and Tesla admit that!
    Totally agree with some of the inconvient downsides or lacking services. I would add to the list with:

Auto high beam terrible
    No heads up display
    No ability to change screen layout
    No ability to enlarge text or change position of alerts.
    No ability to switch off auto wipers in cruise control or auto steer!

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    You have a model 3 I presume? I have a model Y and there were no replacement tyres via Tesla mobile for a Model Y in the Country.

My car is leased and so I had to have their permission to use a non OEM tyre as apparently EV tyres are different and permission for a non Tesla service provider. I now have 3 Hankooks and 1 Michelin. Tesla recovery also took 4 hours to pick me up on 21st December.

I now have Slime ready for any future issues!
    I'd be wary of the non OEM tyres behaving extraordinary if I were you......maybe ask Tesla if it's ok to self pull the wool a bit further over your eyes.....(you might get away without paying them for this advice if you're lucky) 👍😂😂😂

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    I think a lot of Tesla drivers dont look far outside the Tesla network, sadly, but not sure theyd need to be there for 40 mins either, Teslas charge pretty quickly on super chargers.

Gretna Services is pretty busy though, only 4 Supercharger stalls, but there are 4 x Ionity and 2 x Gridserve rapids as well, albeit theyre slower.

Theres Tebay 45 miles before Gretna with 8 stalls, and Abington at Lanark 45 miles further with another 8. You do need to think ahead a bit with EVs, maybe stop earlier than the sat nav is suggesting.

Swings and roundabouts I guess, you trade a bit of inconvenience at peak times like heading to Scotland for New Year versus the benefits the rest of the year.

I can get our Tesla long range 275 miles down the road before charging if I put my mind to it, the trick is not to recharge when its the last option, but do it before.

Master
    Yes agree Tooks. We havent been in the position on the road when we really needed a charge as the M3 is our local car in reality. But when we did before we had a home charger in the first 4 weeks we planned well ahead and tried to charge when 30% remained.

However have been looking at a new main car and electric sprung to mind. Looked at MY recently not for the first time. Tesla are discounting if take delivery by year end. Also adding in 6000 free miles. Not bad and was very slightly tempted but dont think that will be our decision. Still think it will be ICE.

Also sat in the BMW electric offerings. Just cannot get used to BMW personally and both the IX and IX3 are great but not for us sadly. Range also probably not quite up to Tesla at this stage. Other consideration was EQC. Lovely and premium feeling. It again range not great and the price is high if you want one with the extras.

All used cars seem so prohibitively expensive nowadays. Looking at ICE again and trying to get my head around paying more for a car with more mileage on it today than the same model I sold 2.5 years ago. But cannot see it reversing anytime soon. Inflation and shortages I guess are here to stay for some time.

I'd be wary of the non OEM tyres behaving extraordinary if I were you......maybe ask Tesla if it's ok to self pull the wool a bit further over your eyes.....(you might get away without paying them for this advice if you're lucky) 👍😂😂😂
    It wasnt Tesla saying it but my leasing company!

You should axle match Tyre manufacturer and tread patterns on any EV. The extra load requirement is mostly a myth and not required in a lot of instances. Most premium Tyre Manufacturers are creating EV ready Tyres for the after market which will start to negate the requirement for replacing like for like with homologated Tyres.

Quote Originally Posted by Gullers View Post
    You should axle match Tyre manufacturer and tread patterns on any EV. The extra load requirement is mostly a myth and not required in a lot of instances. Most premium Tyre Manufacturers are creating EV ready Tyres for the after market which will start to negate the requirement for replacing like for like with homologated Tyres.
    In an ideal world maybe but in reality it isnt gonna happen when the tyres are around 250 each! No way would my leasing company replace 2 tyres if only one is damaged!

It wasnt Tesla saying it but my leasing company!
    My car is leased but I didn't inform them, nor was I aware I should do. I replaced the tyre like for like

Thought that was the case for all cars.

My car is leased but I didn't inform them, nor was I aware I should do. I replaced the tyre like for like
    You dont have a maintenance or accident contract with them then?

You dont have a maintenance or accident contract with them then?
    Nope, just lease the car and sort maintenance myself (not much to maintain on a Tesla to be fair)

Master
    Some lease companies are extremely strict on tyre policy others not so much.
    I knew of a Jag that was parked up for a couple of months as a Pirelli J tyre wasn't available when the non Jag fitment was in plentiful supply and the driver was in a hire car until it got sorted which was crazy.

The issue is not all lease companies tyre departments know about tyres, so they won't authorise something different when it would be perfectly suitable.
    And if the lease company has subcontracted out the tyre authorisation to one of the nation tyre companies well who knows what you'll end up with, the wife's last car was on Michelin had a puncture and the tyres were wrongly inputted in to the tyre companies system, and so then they all moved to Yokohamas not a problem for me, but when I was told it was like for like and it would be Yoko I said Michelin would be coming off and was told no definitely Yoko unless I'd fitted my own.

I used to work in the lease car tyre field, I don't miss it.

Sent from my A063 using Tapatalk

Collecting my Tesla today! Any hints or tips from current owners?

Quote Originally Posted by RickChard View Post
    Collecting my Tesla today! Any hints or tips from current owners?
    There is an entire thread for you!

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...la-Info-Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Well spotted, thank you!

6 euro it cost Mrs P to have a tyre repaired just before Christmas, caused by a screw we'd acquired somewhere, obviously not Kwik Fit but a local family business.
    Last edited by Passenger; 30th December 2022 at 11:52.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    6 euro it cost Mrs P to have a tyre repaired just before Christmas, caused by a screw we'd acquired somewhere, obviously not Kwik Fit but a local family business.
    If a tyre is legally repairable, then its not exactly expensive at most tyre places anywhere.

In fact, last tyre we had a puncture on I took to Kwik Fit in the town we happened to be driving through, and they didnt charge anything.

Yes, I was surprised as well.

Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

In an ideal world maybe but in reality it isnt gonna happen when the tyres are around 250 each! No way would my leasing company replace 2 tyres if only one is damaged!
    I meant the replacement is meant to be like for like, not that you have to replace two every time.

I work for a Lease Co and we would authorise 2 if required to Axle match, particularly on 4WD

I meant the replacement is meant to be like for like, not that you have to replace two every time.

I work for a Lease Co and we would authorise 2 if required to Axle match, particularly on 4WD
    Well Arval told me that their technical team authorised it and view the Michelin as a like for like!

Master
    Lease co and matching on axle is always interesting as every lease co has there own policy and sometimes they can differ customer by customer.
    Changing 2 on the same axle on a 4x4, I'd say depends on the tread difference and what 4x4 system, that has been the way of most lease co's I've worked with.

Also depends on the contract with the lease co and the tyre co, Arval for instance used to (not sure if still do) use ATS so will have control over things themselves, Tusker use Kwik Fit and get Kwik Fit to authorise and advise.
    Then you get the lease co getting kick backs from the tyre manufacturers and then the tyre co also getting kick backs from the manufacturer then the lease co have penalties for non brand fitment etc all gets fun.

Sent from my A063 using Tapatalk

During that really cold spell before Christmas, how did your EV range fare?

No way I'm buying an electric car if there is a big chance I can go to a services and wait hours for the one charger that's working. The infrastructure is not keeping up and they take months to mend a charger in a service station . Family tell me this. Hybrids all you need

Sent from my XQ-CQ54 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    Hybrids all you need
    If only they had 2% BIK.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    No way I'm buying an electric car if there is a big chance I can go to a services and wait hours for the one charger that's working. The infrastructure is not keeping up and they take months to mend a charger in a service station . Family tell me this. Hybrids all you need

Sent from my XQ-CQ54 using Tapatalk
    Where have you been since 2015?