closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 39 of 103 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,950 of 5107

Thread: Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    No way I'm buying an electric car if there is a big chance I can go to a services and wait hours for the one charger that's working. The infrastructure is not keeping up and they take months to mend a charger in a service station . Family tell me this. Hybrids all you need

Sent from my XQ-CQ54 using Tapatalk
    I’ve been to loads of motorway services were all the charging points are full they always seem to lag behind the amount actually needed

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    I’ve been to loads of motorway services were all the charging points are full they always seem to lag behind the amount actually needed
    MSA’s are generally terrible places anyway, and I avoided them even when I drove ICE vehicles…

There are some good hubs and other charging spots appearing just off motorways now, and even some of the service areas on the motorways are improving. There are 16 rapid chargers at Wetherby services now, for example.

Gridserve are also building dedicated EV charging sites with shops/rest rooms etc.

It’s improving all the time, as it will need to in fairness, and a lot of work is awaiting DNO upgrades to get electricity capacity up at the sites.

Master
    No way I'm buying an electric car if there is a big chance I can go to a services and wait hours for the one charger that's working. The infrastructure is not keeping up and they take months to mend a charger in a service station . Family tell me this. Hybrids all you need

there isn’t a big chance of that happening if you can install a home charger , so proceed with no fear.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    there isn’t a big chance of that happening if you can install a home charger , so proceed with no fear.
    Maybe he should move house first?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Maybe he should move house first?
    Im not familiar with his housing situation. Hence I said if.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Where have you been since 2015?
    It seems to have got worse not better

Never had an issue at Tesla Supercharger Station- longest wait was 5 mins.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/w...-car-dwgs9l9hl

"Because the electric vehicle industry is no readier to get a family home from Cornwall at Christmas time (as I was trying to do) than it is to fly us all to Jupiter. The cars are useless, the infrastructure is not there and you’re honestly better off walking. Even on the really long journeys. In fact, especially on the long journeys. The short ones they can just about manage. It’s no wonder Tesla shares are down 71 per cent. It’s all a huge fraud. And, for me, it’s over."

It seems to have got worse not better

As someone who has been driving an EV since 2015, I can honestly say my experience differs substantially from your assertion.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/w...-car-dwgs9l9hl

"Because the electric vehicle industry is no readier to get a family home from Cornwall at Christmas time (as I was trying to do) than it is to fly us all to Jupiter. The cars are useless, the infrastructure is not there and you’re honestly better off walking. Even on the really long journeys. In fact, especially on the long journeys. The short ones they can just about manage. It’s no wonder Tesla shares are down 71 per cent. It’s all a huge fraud. And, for me, it’s over."

Why not?

most will do 250 plus nowadays and depending where you live id be ok. It seems that the vast number of people who have them them live with having to charge them up. Where’s the fraud?

Not a viable option for me at the moment , far too expensive compared to hybrids and the network isn't keeping pace with the cars being sold . Maybe one day

Collected my Id buzz last week.
    Fantastic to drive. So much better than my t6.1 kombi
    Smooth quiet refined & really quick.
    Very pleased. 280 miles on a charge. That’s lasts me a week or so
    Last edited by lenlec; 8th January 2023 at 18:18.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    As someone who has been driving an EV since 2015, I can honestly say my experience differs substantially from your assertion.
    Same here, I was a 2014 pioneer, the charging landscape is wildly better now than back then, and is improving all the time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Fab! I’d love one of these if they ever launch the LWB camper version here in the U.K.

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    How much is one of those though?
    Company cars don't count because we have to buy our own and I cannot committ to a monthly payment, I probably wouldn't get a finance deal approved either.

Master
    Blog Entries

Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

I don’t have an electric car, however all this media spin over the charging network seems a bit silly. Surely that’s down to poor planning as how often do you actually charge or fill up an ICE car for that matter at the services. If you do long distance maybe electric was not he right choice, it’s all about the right tool for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    I don’t have an electric car, however all this media spin over the charging network seems a bit silly. Surely that’s down to poor planning as how often do you actually charge or fill up an ICE car for that matter at the services. If you do long distance maybe electric was not he right choice, it’s all about the right tool for the job.
    Indeed, it's why Toyota still refuse to make an EV, because the infrastructure isnt there yet to support it and in their words 95% of commuters won't benefit from an EV, all they need is a hybrid

https://fortune.com/2022/10/02/toyot...f-powertrains/

I mean YMMV etc etc, I did the maths for us and agreed with Toyota.

Maybe next car will be an EV

Master
    This is our situation. Only in the first two weeks of ownership (when our charger wasn't installed) did we use the SC network...by the way, it was fantastic, just dropped in for 10-15 mins, loaded up with charge and drove out. No wait, etc and price was reasonable then, may not be now.

Since then and for the last 13 months, have not once needed to use a public charger. Charge around once a week at home and that is it. I guess we don't as a family do too many long journeys, but if / when we do in this car, you can very easily plan ahead. The map tells you where the chargers are and where to stop, also tells you how busy they are (in Tesla at least), really not that difficult!

Master
    Not a viable option for me at the moment , far too expensive compared to hybrids and the network isn't keeping pace with the cars being sold . Maybe one day

what hybrid are you comparing to what EV and as has already been said most people dont charge away from home all that often.

Master
    Indeed, it's why Toyota still refuse to make an EV, because the infrastructure isnt there yet to support it and in their words 95% of commuters won't benefit from an EV, all they need is a hybrid

toyota made a bet on hydrogen thats why they are so far behind, and 95% of commuters would probably only need to use a charging station away from home once or twice a year so their assertion is nonsense, but it appears people are falling for it!

Master
    exactly, however most people use straw man arguments for why an ev wont suit them, like i cant drive from one of the country to the other without needing to stop and charge,

do you do that often? Never, but what if i needed to

Craftsman
    toyota made a bet on hydrogen thats why they are so far behind, and 95% of commuters would probably only need to use a charging station away from home once or twice a year so their assertion is nonsense, but it appears people are falling for it!
    I don’t understand the 95% and once or twice a year.
    Is there only 5% of houses without a driveway to charge at home.

There are huge problems for ev for a lot of people. Even those who like me could use one for 99% of what I do and could charge from the panels on the roof in summer but I have no driveway.

I think at best you can say if they are a match to your commuting they are great but they don’t work for everyone by a long shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Why not?

most will do 250 plus nowadays and depending where you live id be ok. It seems that the vast number of people who have them them live with having to charge them up. Where’s the fraud?
    That´s not quite accurate though is it, that most will do 250, I just did a quick look at the budget end of the ev offerings...the Peugot e 208, which still costs over 30 K and it´ll only do a claimed 225, with one real world test only delivering 161 miles...or the Mini electric, it´s only good for 145 miles! Likewise cost starts at 30K...these are smallish cars as well, so not really going to work for a family who like to travel with stuff...silly prices too. NOW THE kia EV6 is a nice looking car and is a good size, offers better range, but it starts at close to 50 K!
    That´s Silly money for a car, any car, to my way of thinking.

Range at the bargain basement end, ie the Fiat 500 a tiny bargain at 22K!...115 miles, wow a flawed bargain.
    Last edited by Passenger; 9th January 2023 at 11:40.

Blog Entries
    Driving a Honda Cr-V hybrid and I'm more than happy with it. The car is about 1700 kgs and manages to do 5.8 liter/100km since new. That's not too bad for a heavy car like this one.
    Currently (Dutch situation), with the high prices for power and the fuel getting cheaper every day, the costs per km are currently in favour of fuel.

Having said that, the government is 'sponsoring' electric cars with lower tax, and even a 3K euro bonus when you buy a new (full) electric car.

The downside is... the grid. The current infrastructure of power cables etc is not designed to an 'all electric fleet' on the roads. We are #1 in Europe when it comes to the installation of solar panels (>20)% of the residential homes (excluding apartment buildings). Government buildings, hospitals and school roofs are even more covered by solar panels. But still it's not enough to power all cars.

With the increase of electric cars, the need for home batteries to store electricity is growing as well. I know first-hand that there's a positive development (and steering away from the Chinese fire-hazard BYD batteries!!!!) but that it's still too costly for home owners to have it installed.

Master
    exactly, however most people use straw man arguments for why an ev wont suit them, like i cant drive from one of the country to the other without needing to stop and charge,

do you do that often? Never, but what if i needed to
    Well exactly. The bottom line is it depends on your own individual use-case, if it doesn't work for you fine go ICE/Hybrid but don't assume it doesn't work for anyone else...

I have an EV t the moment because 99% of my journeys are 80 miles or less and I can charge at home. However, we do have a need to do longer journeys occasionally as a family, so my wife has a a hybrid that does her commute on electric but for the occasional longer journeys we can use petrol.

I actually posted here recently when I had to do my first long journey in my EV as I was concerned about charging it, but in the end it was easy as the car told me on the SatNav what chargers there were in the vicinity, their capacity and whether they were available so it quite straight forward. I have had to this once in the six months I've owned it.

Than I have an MX-5 for fun, so all sorted!

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    That´s not quite accurate though is it, that most will do 250, I just did a quick look at the budget end of the ev offerings...the Peugot e 208, which still costs over 30 K and it´ll only do a claimed 225, with one real world test only delivering 161 miles...or the Mini electric, it´s only good for 145 miles! Likewise cost starts at 30K...these are smallish cars as well, so not really going to work for a family who like to travel with stuff...silly prices too. NOW THE kia EV6 is a nice looking car and is a good size, offers better range, but it starts at close to 50 K!

Range at the bargain basement end, ie the Fiat 500 a tiny bargain at 22K!...115 miles, wow a flawed bargain.
    Why would anyone buy a car knowing it had sub 200 mile range knowing they need more than that on a day to day basis?
    I’ve discounted loads on that basis which is why I’ve opted for one that does + 300
    Additionally cost didn’t come in to it

Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 9th January 2023 at 11:52.

This^^^
    My Mini diesel cost £8000 (comparing used to new isn't quite fair I know), road tax is £0, it averages 65mpg, 70+ is possible, and range is 600-650 miles. I can buy a lot of diesel for the 22k difference.
    My wife has a Suzuki hybrid, cost £15k brand new, standard road tax, and also averages 65mpg with a smaller but usefull 350 mile range.
    Saying that we go virtually nowhere where range would be an issue, I'd be one of the once or twice a yearers who need to charge away from home on a long journey, and then I'd be staying in a hotel anyway and would make sure its one with chargers. So practically I'd have no issues with an electric car and no doubt will one day have one unless I manage to go to a carless lifestyle anyway.
    But as others have said, its great if you have a company salary sacrifice scheme or similar, but £30k upfront or on finance would make zero sense for someone like me or a high proportion of people I know.
    Last edited by Ruggertech; 9th January 2023 at 12:00.

I quite agree - it is hordes of people all trying to return from their holiday rental in Cornwall & Devon on the 2nd of Jan who have neither charged their cars at the house whist enjoying their break (which could probably have been done via 3pin socket albeit slowly) or planned their journey home.

Whilst it would be nice that the few chargers were free when they arrived I think most of this could have been avoided with a bit of planning and acceaptance that for their one journey a year an EV is less inconvenient than an ICE car.

Why would anyone buy a car knowing it had sub 200 mile range knowing they need more than that on a day to day basis?
    I’ve discounted loads on that basis which is why I’ve opted for one that does + 300
    Additionally cost didn’t come in to it

Great, genuinely good for you but doesn't change the facts.

Master
    Great, genuinely good for you but doesn't change the facts.
    Facts have often been in short supply on this thread to be fair! ;-)

I’ve no interest in pushing people into EVs, hey all the more public charging access for me right?

Honestly though, the mileages that most people do on a daily basis are pretty small, the National Travel Survey has annual mileage at around 7900 miles a year, in the years running up to the pandemic, and understandably have dropped since then along with the increase in home working.

Tesla’s lead you by the hand with regard to when and where to charge, that’s a double edged sword as you likely won’t consider charging anywhere else. It was a while before my wife even realised that Teslas could charge on chargers other than Tesla ones…

Long journeys require a bit of planning, this is true, but most people are intelligent enough to do a bit of investigation, it’s really not as complicated as people think.

But anyway, I’ve zero problem with people deciding an EV isn’t for them, absolutely zero. I just wonder why so many people are always telling me they just won’t work, when I’m in my ninth year of ‘doing it’ and it’s getting easier all the time as the cars and charging network get better.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Facts have often been in short supply on this thread to be fair! ;-)

I’ve no interest in pushing people into EVs, hey all the more public charging access for me right?

Honestly though, the mileages that most people do on a daily basis are pretty small, the National Travel Survey has annual mileage at around 7900 miles a year, in the years running up to the pandemic, and understandably have dropped since then along with the increase in home working.

Tesla’s lead you by the hand with regard to when and where to charge, that’s a double edged sword as you likely won’t consider charging anywhere else. It was a while before my wife even realised that Teslas could charge on chargers other than Tesla ones…

Long journeys require a bit of planning, this is true, but most people are intelligent enough to do a bit of investigation, it’s really not as complicated as people think.

But anyway, I’ve zero problem with people deciding an EV isn’t for them, absolutely zero. I just wonder why so many people are always telling me they just won’t work, when I’m in my ninth year of ‘doing it’ and it’s getting easier all the time as the cars and charging network get better.
    You're a pioneer T so there's that. I was just responding to the assertion FFF made about most doing 250 miles on a charge, when they don't. I've zero problem with what others drive...though the Tesla thing smacks a bit of a cult...such nondescript, even ugly cars, from such a deeply unlikeable source.

I might believe that if they hadn't made the Mirai which can be filled up at any of 14 Stations in the UK (and not at home).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBROSUS View Post
    I don’t understand the 95% and once or twice a year.
    Is there only 5% of houses without a driveway to charge at home.

There are huge problems for ev for a lot of people. Even those who like me could use one for 99% of what I do and could charge from the panels on the roof in summer but I have no driveway.

I think at best you can say if they are a match to your commuting they are great but they don’t work for everyone by a long shot

The average daily mileage would suggest that if you have a driveway you will be fine by quite som margin.

https://www.nimblefins.co.uk/cheap-c...les%20a%20year.

ive said before if you dont have a driveway then i wouldnt recommend one, but for the people that do concerns about the public charging infastructure are largely missplaced unless you are in the small minority of people who interact with it more than a few times a year.

Master
    You're a pioneer T so there's that. I was just responding to the assertion FFF made about most doing 250 miles on a charge, when they don't. I've zero problem with what others drive...though the Tesla thing smacks a bit of a cult...such nondescript, even ugly cars, from such a deeply unlikeable source.
    Yes, it’s true that few ‘affordable’ can do 250 miles in all weathers especially on motorways, but many are city cars with ranges that will still more than cover most folks daily needs.

I’m with you on the Tesla, my wife chose ours as ‘her’ car, but even she has fallen out with it really due to a few boggling faults and the ‘musk factor’. It is in many ways a brilliant car, and Tesla in general have moved EVs into the mainstream, but thankfully there’ll be more choice for her when it needs replacing.

Yes, it’s true that few ‘affordable’ can do 250 miles in all weathers especially on motorways, but many are city cars with ranges that will still more than cover most folks daily needs.

I’m with you on the Tesla, my wife chose ours as ‘her’ car, but even she has fallen out with it really due to a few boggling faults and the ‘musk factor’. It is in many ways a brilliant car, and Tesla in general have moved EVs into the mainstream, but thankfully there’ll be more choice for her when it needs replacing.
    and still they cost a fortune...these compromised little city cars...for my money ev's should be cheaper than their ICE counterparts, maybe one day they will be...and then!

Apparently EV's will be cheaper to make than ICE vehicles by 2027, so not too long to wait!

https://thedriven.io/2021/05/11/new-...-cars-by-2027/
    Last edited by Passenger; 9th January 2023 at 16:39.

Master
    and still they cost a fortune...these compromised little city cars...for my money ev's should be cheaper than their ICE counterparts, maybe one day they will be...and then!
    The only compromise really is non-stop range, but if driving 300 miles non stop in a Fiat 500 is your thing, then why not! :-)

They’re generally better equipped than their ICE counterparts, and I think better to drive as well, but I guess I’m just an EV fanboi… :-D

Robert Llwellyn (yes, Kryton from Red Dwarf!) has a great EV channel. He did an episode recently where his guest was Sandy Munro from the States who has probably forgotten more about automotive engineering than most of us ever knew. It’s interesting because he talks about when EVs will make the crossover and become cheaper than their equivalent ICE models and even with the supply chain challenges and semiconductor shortages, his prediction is a lot sooner than I’d thought.

https://youtu.be/paYa2wGnADw

I haven’t seen that episode which I will watch, but he is a big fan of the MG4 Trophy.

It has the range, looks nice enough and is half the price of a Tesla, but unfortunately it is mostly the badge that will let it down in the U.K. private buying market.

I think the new unregistered shorter range MG4 is on Autotrader for £26k. That is ICE sort of money.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My 3 month old single motor ionic 5 is back with the dealer again tomorrow with a host of issues.
    Biggest one being the dreadful range even when driven at below motorway speeds and not accelerating hard. I fully accept the WLTP isn’t a true reflection of what to expect but on a car quoted as giving 298 miles of range I’ve never seen more than 220 and in mild conditions (11-14degrees) it’s been as low as 192!. This is with A/C off or as low as 19 degrees inside temp. Set and fan speed of 1 or 2.
    I’ve averaged 2.7 miles a kilowatt over the last 1300 miles and I’ve babied it in that time.
    I’ve got a horrible grinding noise from the steering column, failure to be able to select a gear at least a dozen times in the 3 months I’ve had it, brakes that locked up and skidded up twice in a 20 mph zone with nothing slippery under the tyres and regen set to level 3 so I was barely touching the brakes.
    Add to that a centre display and hazard warning button that pulse bright to dark like a Christmas tree and 3 occasions where the heated seat function hasn’t been available for some reason and a cabin that mists and steams up inside like a brothel so disillusioned doesn’t come close.
    Thankfully I lease it via work but for a 48k car I am not impressed. The only positive I have right now is that it looks nice and is comfortable, good job really as for 700 miles last week I was sat on public chargers for over 6 hours as they rarely deliver anything like the quoted speeds you pay for!
    To think I waited 11 months for this car and sold a Merc diesel to get it is annoying and then some!
    Anyone else having issues with their Ionic 5?
    Last edited by Kevin Glover; 9th January 2023 at 18:04.

Master
    If quoted is 298 and you are getting 200-220 I’m afraid that is not abnormal in this weather.

I am sure there will be nothing ‘wrong’ with it. Just like mpg on ICE cars it is not normal to get the quoted IMO.

Our Tesla was quoted at 360. We can get 250 dependent on weather and usage. Maybe more and of course if you don’t use the luxuries such as pre heating then you will get more. I went into it knowing I wouldn’t get 360 but did think I may get 300 at times.

In this weather we can sometimes get as low as 200 as we use it for short journeys and it is fully pre heated before use, usually.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Glover View Post
    My 3 month old single motor ionic 5 is back with the dealer again tomorrow with a host of issues.
    Biggest one being the dreadful range even when driven at below motorway speeds and not accelerating hard. I fully accept the WLTP isn’t a true reflection of what to expect but on a car quoted as giving 298 miles of range I’ve never seen more than 220 and in mild conditions (11-14degrees) it’s been as low as 192!. This is with A/C off or as low as 19 degrees inside temp. Set and fan speed of 1 or 2.
    I’ve averaged 2.7 miles a kilowatt over the last 1300 miles and I’ve babied it in that time.
    I’ve got a horrible grinding noise from the steering column, failure to be able to select a gear at least a dozen times in the 3 months I’ve had it, brakes that locked up and skidded up twice in a 20 mph zone with nothing slippery under the tyres and regen set to level 3 so I was barely touching the brakes.
    Add to that a centre display and hazard warning button that pulse bright to dark like a Christmas tree and 3 occasions where the heated seat function hasn’t been available for some reason and a cabin that mists and steams up inside like a brothel so disillusioned doesn’t come close.
    Thankfully I lease it via work but for a 48k car I am not impressed. The only positive I have right now is that it looks nice and is comfortable, good job really as for 700 miles last week I was sat on public chargers for over 6 hours as they rarely deliver anything like the quoted speeds you pay for!
    To think I waited 11 months for this car and sold a Merc diesel to get it is annoying and then some!
    a quick search would have given an indication of what range you could expect in winter (https://ev-database.org/car/1478/Hyu...Long-Range-2WD)

seems yours is about right, you will see it increase a lot in summer.

As for the other issues apart from the charger speeds they arent EV related, its new car related, brand new models both ICE and EV can often have dozens of issues unfortunately (had the same with a merc glc when i was first released)

as for chargers, i have only ever used ionity when out and about and my audi etron always achieves expected speeds but it is know for being a quick charger (good thing too as its 'thirsty' for electrons!)

there are probably ioniq 5 owner groups on facebook where you will get more specific feedback.

Master
    Another forum I’m on did report a few issues with the Ioniq 5 launch editions, software updates sorted a lot of them, but surprised that yours is still having issues being a new car.

The range thing, it does seem a little on the low side, although temp is but one of the factors that impact it. Wet roads and also gusting winds make a difference, as they do in all cars but not as noticeable in an ICE that is packing the equivalent of a 450-500kWh battery.

My GTX is a 77kWh 300PS AWD EV, I use it mainly on the motorway and A roads, and over winter I’ve averaged 2.9 miles per kWh so far, a range of around 225 miles at that consumption. Summer time it was more like 3.5+, or around 270 miles. Our Tesla M3 LR with a 75kWh battery is a bit better, but being a saloon and a lower slippery shape helps somewhat.

Yours definitely sounds like it needs some TLC, even allowing for motorways at motorway speed being less than optimal for most EVs, but it is still cold for an EV battery which are happier at 20c+ and yours will be consuming some energy to warm the battery every day this time of year.

Come spring, you should see some improvement.

Your car has an 800v architecture, if you can charge on Ionity units, you should see some very high speeds. The worst ones are the standard 50kW units that are voltage and amp limited for your vehicle.

Master
    I have a 18 month old volvo phev with the new Google operating system which after countless updates is still full of bugs mostly things that only ever happen once when I complained about it to volvo I was told what do you expect they aren’t cars anymore more like giant computers which I am prepared to put up with as it’s still by far the best car I’ve ever had, your ionic 5 is proberbly very similar.
    it seems all car manufacturers bring out software that isn’t fit for purpose and by the time they get it working properly they bring a new load of buggy crap out and your back to square one

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I haven’t seen that episode which I will watch, but he is a big fan of the MG4 Trophy.

It has the range, looks nice enough and is half the price of a Tesla, but unfortunately it is mostly the badge that will let it down in the U.K. private buying market.

I think the new unregistered shorter range MG4 is on Autotrader for £26k. That is ICE sort of money.
    But IF it's made in China, maybe partially by enslaved Uighers, not a risk I'd willingly take ymmv.

The only compromise really is non-stop range, but if driving 300 miles non stop in a Fiat 500 is your thing, then why not! :-)

They’re generally better equipped than their ICE counterparts, and I think better to drive as well, but I guess I’m just an EV fanboi… :-D

Robert Llwellyn (yes, Kryton from Red Dwarf!) has a great EV channel. He did an episode recently where his guest was Sandy Munro from the States who has probably forgotten more about automotive engineering than most of us ever knew. It’s interesting because he talks about when EVs will make the crossover and become cheaper than their equivalent ICE models and even with the supply chain challenges and semiconductor shortages, his prediction is a lot sooner than I’d thought.

https://youtu.be/paYa2wGnADw
    The compromise is the diddy size of these things fullstop if you're a family, have stuff to carry...the daft prices, crappy weather impacted range too.

Boom so 2027 it is then...I daresay for sure towards decades end, cool, maybe by then Hyundai and others will've sorted all the bugs out.
    Last edited by Passenger; 9th January 2023 at 19:02.

You’ve not really understood my post, i was talking about Tesla as per his post…most Tesla will do 250 miles, however take a look at the average mileage across the whole EV range and they say its 212 miles. As i said previously why buy a car thats not fit for your means? Secondly where does cost come in to it?
    That wasn't discussed on the post i originally responded to.

Master
    The compromise is the diddy size of these things fullstop if you're a family, have stuff to carry...the daft prices, crappy weather impacted range too.

Boom so 2027 it is then...I daresay for sure towards decades end, cool, maybe by then Hyundai and others will've sorted all the bugs out.
    A Fiat 500 is diddy whether it’s an ICE or EV, so I’m not sure what you’re saying?

Are you saying that to get a comparable cost vehicle in EV land, you have to go down a size?

A Nissan Leaf, VW ID.3 or a Renault Megane etc are family sized hatchbacks, and yes they cost a bit more than the equivalent ICE, but not that much more when specified to the same equipment level and the still lower running costs if you have home charging.

If you don’t have access to home charging, then it’s a different set of considerations and I could certainly understand why you’d be waiting for things to develop and get cheaper and the charging infrastructure more mature.

That shouldn’t be a point of disagreement at all, everybody has got to do what works for them first and foremost.

You’ve not really understood my post, i was talking about Tesla as per his post…most Tesla will do 250 miles, however take a look at the average mileage across the whole EV range and they say its 212 miles. As i said previously why buy a car thats not fit for your means? Secondly where does cost come in to it?
    That wasn't discussed on the post i originally responded to.
    ah fair enough then my bad I haven't understood you...Do you mean fit for your purposes, as 'means' is suggestive of budget, ability or willingness to spend?

Cost comes into it because imho these EV's are currently 'dear' imho for what they are and should in time be the same or less than comparable ICE vehicles to manufacture...I think some are happy to pay over the odds/ a premium for the opportunity to drive the 'future', fair enough, there's always pioneers and those who want the latest gizmo, a telly in their car.

But I don't personally like being taken for a ride, not when it comes to my money...despite my user name I think around 20 k on a new car is plenty to spend, for that you should I believe be able to get a damn good vehicle fit for ones purposes...in fact from memory when I got the new Skoda Karoq almost 5r years ago, that was about the price, certainly that was the budget, amount of our 'means', that we were prepared to commit especially as we'd also just bought a house for cash.

If that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    If quoted is 298 and you are getting 200-220 I’m afraid that is not abnormal in this weather.

I am sure there will be nothing ‘wrong’ with it. Just like mpg on ICE cars it is not normal to get the quoted IMO.

Our Tesla was quoted at 360. We can get 250 dependent on weather and usage. Maybe more and of course if you don’t use the luxuries such as pre heating then you will get more. I went into it knowing I wouldn’t get 360 but did think I may get 300 at times.

In this weather we can sometimes get as low as 200 as we use it for short journeys and it is fully pre heated before use, usually.
    I would suggest you get that looked at!

I have a Model Y LR which has a max 325 miles and I regularly get around 270-280 out of it. I knew I would never get the claimed full range but I am happy enough with what I am getting and that’s with heating, heated seats, Spotify and kids charging their phones all on!

Check the analysis graphs and see where you are losing miles!

A Fiat 500 is diddy whether it’s an ICE or EV, so I’m not sure what you’re saying?

Are you saying that to get a comparable cost vehicle in EV land, you have to go down a size?

A Nissan Leaf, VW ID.3 or a Renault Megane etc are family sized hatchbacks, and yes they cost a bit more than the equivalent ICE, but not that much more when specified to the same equipment level and the still lower running costs if you have home charging.

If you don’t have access to home charging, then it’s a different set of considerations and I could certainly understand why you’d be waiting for things to develop and get cheaper and the charging infrastructure more mature.

That shouldn’t be a point of disagreement at all, everybody has got to do what works for them first and foremost.
    Correct the Fiat 500 either format wouldn´t work for me and mine, too small.

See reply to FFF for my attempt to explain the price- cost issue...as I say it´s only my opinion, way. The ID 3 appears to start from 45 k Euro´s, the Megan starts at only 37 K gbp C´MON for a bloody RENAULT...that´s insanely expensive to me, sorry, and you´ve gotta plan trips, if they are LONGER trips, around charging points...more cost for more hassle, it doesn´t compute for me...if I commit to spend more money I want an easier life not additional potential hassles, to have to worry if there´s a cold spell coming...Can you see what I mean, where I´m coming from?
    Sigh, maybe I´m just a tight neanderthal after a simpler life. Oh well.
    Last edited by Passenger; 9th January 2023 at 20:33.

ah fair enough then my bad I haven't understood you...Do you mean fit for your purposes, as 'means' is suggestive of budget, ability or willingness to spend?

Cost comes into it because imho these EV's are currently 'dear' imho for what they are and should in time be the same or less than comparable ICE vehicles to manufacture...I think some are happy to pay over the odds/ a premium for the opportunity to drive the 'future', fair enough, there's always pioneers and those who want the latest gizmo, a telly in their car.

But I don't personally like being taken for a ride, not when it comes to my money...despite my user name I think around 20 k on a new car is plenty to spend, for that you should I believe be able to get a damn good vehicle fit for ones purposes...in fact from memory when I got the new Skoda Karoq almost 5r years ago, that was about the price, certainly that was the budget, amount of our 'means', that we were prepared to commit especially as we'd also just bought a house for cash.

If that makes sense.

Thats my bad…that was supposed to read fit for purpose.

For clarity I don't have an EV yet, I have one on order and is should be here soon, by soon i mean somewhen between 2023 and 2024 however, when looking at all these vehicles i reasoned that id need a minimum of 200 miles based around the fact that when we do travel in this country its generally either Cornwall or Tenby in Wales. So when selecting one i opted for one that i knew ( after doing extensive research) would do over 200 miles on a single charge.
    Evs arent right for everybody i get that but whenever someone comes on shouting about them being shyte and not fit for purpose its always the same thing…infrastructure isn't there yet and they're too bloody expensive. Most people can charge from home so its not an issue if 40k is too much for you for an EV then 40k is too much for you for an ICE vehicle also.
    Everyone shouting at some point in the near future has to get used to EVs playing a part of our personal transport…how long thats for i dont l know but for certain we have to start embracing it.

Correct the Fiat 500 either format wouldn´t work for me and mine, too small.

See reply to FFF for my attempt to explain the price- cost issue...as I say it´s only my opinion, way. The ID 3 appears to start from 45 k Euro´s, the Megan starts at only 37 K gbp C´MON for a bloody RENAULT...that´s insanely expensive to me, sorry, and you´ve gotta plan trips, if they are LONGER trips, around charging points...more cost for more hassle, it doesn´t compute for me...if I commit to spend more money I want an easier life not additional potential hassles, to have to worry if there´s a cold spell coming...Can you see what I mean, where I´m coming from?
    Sigh, maybe I´m just a tight neanderthal after a simpler life. Oh well.
    I certainly don't think you're a Neanderthal, your comments are/were echoed by my other half but i think plus 200-250 was a game changer for her. For most people that mileage a week or even 2 is more than enough added that with a home charger and for some its a no brainer