closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Air fryers

Just got the latest 4.7L Cosori from Amazon. Did some monster chips with Cajun spices and smoked paprika to go with a sirloin & eggs for an initial test. Verdict ? I like my Cosori . . .

Last edited by magirus; 7th January 2023 at 08:49.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Just got the latest 4.7L Cosori from Amazon. Did some monster chips with Cajun spices and smoked paprika to go with a sirloin & eggs for an initial test. Verdict ? I like my Cosori . . .

That is breakfast sorted. Yum.

Master
    Still consistently using our Cosori at min 2 times a week when it makes sense not to use the oven. Has been a really useful kitchen gadget purchase for a change.

Bought a Costco one last week and used for potato wedges last night ( along with SV’d thick pork loin) - impressed!

There are quite a few YouTube channels dedicated to ideas for meals.

Did you cook your fried eggs and onions in the air fryer? I have a Ninja, and I've done poached eggs, but not yet fried ones (and I haven't yet tried veg).

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Did you cook your fried eggs and onions in the air fryer? I have a Ninja, and I've done poached eggs, but not yet fried ones (and I haven't yet tried veg).
    Just the chips. However there's plenty of people who I've seen cooking eggs in air fryers. I think popping the egg/s in an oiled ramekin would be the way I'd go, for a few minutes with the chips towards the end of their cook time, then after removing them belt the chips on high to crisp them. Experimentation with timings is needed methinks.
    F.T.F.A.

Fab kit. Wife swears by it although when I do the cooking it’s oven and hob mostly. Quality of cooking in it seems very good though. Piping hot and cooked evenly throughout and also can handle more delicate stuff. Salmon is amazing

A Couple of Youtube channels for ideas:

https://www.youtube.com/@cookingwithcoit

https://www.youtube.com/@cooking_har...=dd&shelf_id=0

I quite like the video 'style' of the channel above viz:

Same here, I bought one for Christmas, and in the last two weeks, I've enjoyed using it and am impressed.

So far, I've cooked breaded scampi, fish fingers, oven chips, chicken thighs and frozen duck spring rolls. The fish products and the chips came out perfectly cooked, much better than in my old fan oven, crispy on the outside and not dried out. The timings for these are a couple of minutes less than the oven recommendations but I also turn up the heat to zap them for the last couple of minutes. The duck spring rolls are a lot better in the AF.

The only disappointment were the chicken thighs, which to be honest are not my favourite cut, preferring breast meat. They were cooked well but despite trimming fat from their edges, there was a lot of fat in the bottom of the parchment liner, which in retrospect I should have tipped out half way through.

The parchment papers save you from washing the basket and also absorb, to some extent, grease from the food.

Next in will be some chicken breasts, and possibly a small steak as a test, although I doubt it will be able to beat cooking a steak in a cast iron skillet.

Just bought chicken thighs to do in the air fryer !

Like the idea of the parchments, so will order up some. I was just going to use foil.

Might SV the chicken thighs for a while first and finish off in the AF - just need to keep an eye on the times.

(will also fit a power monitor pass-through plug to see how long it is drawing full current and overall consumption)

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I doubt it will be able to beat cooking a steak in a cast iron skillet.
    Indeed - another passing fad in domestic appliances that will end up at the back of a cupboard.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Indeed - another passing fad in domestic appliances that will end up at the back of a cupboard.

Not so sure. I think for singles and couples - there is sig saving on grill/main oven times and power consumption.

Add in some things that cook better - I think they are here to stay.

Mine just sits in the utility room along with the SV tank - and move to kitchen for use.

Still to try the Ultrasonic Tank for pre-tenderising meat prior to SV or normal cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Not so sure. I think for singles and couples - there is sig saving on grill/main oven times and power consumption.

Add in some things that cook better - I think they are here to stay.
    Decent food is not all about cook time or power consumption IMHO, good ingredients, decent prep. and miles on the clock in the kitchen will always win for me.

Master
    Just bought chicken thighs to do in the air fryer !

Like the idea of the parchments, so will order up some. I was just going to use foil.

Might SV the chicken thighs for a while first and finish off in the AF - just need to keep an eye on the times.

(will also fit a power monitor pass-through plug to see how long it is drawing full current and overall consumption)
    Did someone say SV
    Not tried this function yet
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr

Decent food is not all about cook time or power consumption IMHO, good ingredients, decent prep. and miles on the clock in the kitchen will always win for me.
    Nor mine- but I was giving reasons as to why I don't think they will be a passing fad.

Nor mine- but I was giving reasons as to why I don't think they will be a passing fad.

Probably a generation thing (mine).......

Not for anyone who's skilled in the kitchen Chris.
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Did someone say SV
    Not tried this function yet
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr
    We have one of those, and the SV function works well. We do steaks in it then I finish them off in a skillet in the pizza oven.
    The air fryer function we found to be less impressive though and have since bought a standalone air fryer, which works much better and is used almost daily.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post

The parchment papers save you from washing the basket and also absorb, to some extent, grease from the food.

Next in will be some chicken breasts, and possibly a small steak as a test, although I doubt it will be able to beat cooking a steak in a cast iron skillet.
    Lamb chops were the best thing we’ve cooked in ours so far but Jacket potatoes, microwaved then oil, salt & pepper on the skins before finishing in the AF, it’s the future!

Master
    It's not often you will do a whole meal in one anyway. The Corsori we have can taken 4 breaded chicken fillets so that takes care of a Katsu without putting the oven on. Does them in 60% of the time and they are juicier. A pasta dish I do needs roast tomatoes so quicker and cheaper in an AF. Toasted tofu for another recipe then AF rather than oven. Roast peppers and onions for another dish again AF now. Ditto roast sweet potatoes for a curry recipe. Quick fish finger sarnie again AF them. All of which are quicker, turn out better and are easier to wash up afterwards.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Still finding it hard to pull the trigger on one of these. Let's face it they have only become popular because of the energy prices. When energy comes back down is the £100-£200 worth the investment? I wonder if your traditional oven will start to be made smaller. I've seen a few ovens with "air fry" functions now. I would much rather replace my oven than have an air fryer on the worktop.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Still finding it hard to pull the trigger on one of these. Let's face it they have only become popular because of the energy prices. When energy comes back down is the £100-£200 worth the investment? I wonder if your traditional oven will start to be made smaller. I've seen a few ovens with "air fry" functions now. I would much rather replace my oven than have an air fryer on the worktop.
    Our Samsung oven has a removeable divider so can function as either 1 or 2 smaller ovens or one large oven. Not perfect but certainly saves on electricity.

The one I got from Costco was £55 - and gets fav reviews.

https://www.costco.co.uk/Appliances/...r-Fryer/p/6487

I reckon when I have a full house of guests for a weekend - it will also be a boon.

Master

Air fryers

Maybe some truth to the energy crisis pushing popularity on air fryers but from my own experience having owned one for 4 months I can safely say that they cook somethings better and faster than a conventional oven. I’ve cooked in professional kitchens so I would consider myself a good judge of fads and inferior/superior cooking methods and kit. If you have a large family then maybe stick to the main big oven but for our family of three out Ninja dual zone 9.5ltr is great and has helped us save money too as we no longer have to use our large Smeg oven which eats electricity. My Mrs wasn’t convinced when it arrived but is a total convert now. Anybody who is stuck in their ways should be open to change as they are a game changer. Luckily our kitchen is big enough to keep the airfryer out all of the time but if counter space is an issue then maybe that could be a down point.
    Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 8th January 2023 at 10:03.

Air fryers

Airfryers give FANTASTIC cooking results, they are not a novelty.

Don’t get too focussed on the energy savings, as good as they are.

I have the dual 9.5 ltr Ninja.

Last edited by T1ckT0ck; 7th January 2023 at 21:52.

Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    I don’t use one, but I have to agree.

My missus fried potatoes and Indian snack fritters are just superb, hot out the the air fryer.

Still finding it hard to pull the trigger on one of these. ...
    I wouldn't worry about it, they have more customers than they can handle as it is.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I don’t use one, but I have to agree.

My missus fried potatoes and Indian snack fritters are just superb, hot out the the air fryer.
    My wife bought the Ninja 11-1 which has a pressure cooking facility as well as 10 other cooking functions.
    Have to say very impressed with the results. It is a sizeable unit but no bigger than my coffee machine as the wife
    Was at pains to tell me !

Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post

Don’t get too focussed on the energy savings, as good as they are.

I have the dual 9.5 ltr Ninja.

100% agree - excellent gadget

Bought a Russell Hobbs Actifry 5.6 litres (i Think)

Brilliant for crisp or crumb foods

Chips are really quick and properly crispy

(don't have to pre-heat an oven for 15 minutes or use a deep fat fryer.)

also excellent for nicely browned pork shoulder.

i turn it upto 230C to get really browned meat.

Also cooks quicker than an oven or grill.

I thought it may end up in the back of the cupboard, but gets used at least twice a week.

of course it doesn't replace a hob or an oven, it just compliments them.

We still use our Ninja, we have had it about a year now (made a post earlier in this tread) its still great and we got it before the energy price issue. We dont use it as much as we use to, mostly for toasties, jacket pots, chicken wings, sausages, chips.

I still think its worth getting one.

Disappointed to find that my Ninja 15-in-1 doesn’t do sous vide. Strange as some previous (cheaper even) models seem to.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Disappointed to find that my Ninja 15-in-1 doesn’t do sous vide. Strange as some previous (cheaper even) models seem to.
    I never thought it would be a function (I have the same model) - I thought sous vide was something only seen on masterchef!

Quote Originally Posted by ej86 View Post
    I never thought it would be a function (I have the same model) - I thought sous vide was something only seen on masterchef!
    I thought love was only true in fairy tales...................

Quote Originally Posted by ej86 View Post
    This one has it!

what temperature do you normally cook your Sous Vide

50C ?

doesn't it go that low on a slow cook function ?

my Russell Hobbs has slow cook at 50C, but it doesn't have a specific Sous Vide function.

I would just fill it with water and cook the sous vide at 50C

Top tip.

When peeling spuds, keep the peelings.
    Lightly coat (in a bowl or bag) with olive oil (or other oil of choice), sprinkle with sea salt to your own taste, and pop in the air fryer (200c) for between 8-15 mins depending on your air fryer power etc.
    Always check halfway though to make sure.
    A snack taste sensation and great to dip.
    Never throw peelings away again.
    It's the future.
    It's changed my life.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoPantera View Post
    what temperature do you normally cook your Sous Vide

50C ?

doesn't it go that low on a slow cook function ?

my Russell Hobbs has slow cook at 50C, but it doesn't have a specific Sous Vide function.

I would just fill it with water and cook the sous vide at 50C
    Never done sous vide, would just like to try.

Slow cook is Hi, Low or Buffet (whatever that is) - will try measuring temperature. Reading elsewhere, reason they don't have it is because, unlike a proper circulator, temp control is cr#p.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Peel View Post
    Top tip.

When peeling spuds, keep the peelings.
    Lightly coat (in a bowl or bag) with olive oil (or other oil of choice), sprinkle with sea salt to your own taste, and pop in the air fryer (200c) for between 8-15 mins depending on your air fryer power etc.
    Always check halfway though to make sure.
    A snack taste sensation and great to dip.
    Never throw peelings away again.
    It's the future.
    It's changed my life.
    Have you tried citrus?

Slow cook is Hi, Low or Buffet (whatever that is) - will try measuring temperature. Reading elsewhere, reason they don't have it is because, unlike a proper circulator, temp control is cr#p.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you tried citrus?
    No, but always interested in the next life changing delicacy!

Master
    I see air fryer cooking instructions starting to creep onto food packaging. The food sector
    must think they’re here to stay.

I use an SV tank without a circulator, but it’s heated from the bottom so natural convection keeps the water moving, and I’ve had no issues.

Maybe the multi-machines don’t heat from bottom.

There are times when I really dislike coming in here....

I was convinced these air fryers were a complete fad, but read through all 3 pages of the above info anyway.
    I am now £230 lighter and have a Ninja on the way. Damn.

I use an SV tank without a circulator, but it’s heated from the bottom so natural convection keeps the water moving, and I’ve had no issues.

Depending on the mode they can heat from the bottom. Slow cooking will, otherwise it's an element and hot air from above blasting the wet food.

Depending on the mode they can heat from the bottom. Slow cooking will, otherwise it's an element and hot air from above blasting the wet food.
    Mmm….. Don’t think they have thought that through.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post

I was convinced these air fryers were a complete fad, but read through all 3 pages of the above info anyway.
    We did the same in November it’s the best move we’ve ever made regarding cooking, meat is great baked potatoes fantastic and chips a delight.
    Save a fortune not using our oven and glad we went for the ninja.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bandylegss View Post
    We did the same in November it’s the best move we’ve ever made regarding cooking, meat is great baked potatoes fantastic and chips a delight.
    Save a fortune not using our oven and glad we went for the ninja.
    Same here. Sausages and bacon were good before, but different level now

Craftsman
    There seams to be a huge variance in prices for these things. Some are sub £50 others couple of hundred. Took a punt and ordered a Salter 5.2L digital from Robert Dyas for £80. Time will tell if money well spent I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my Russell Hobbs heats from the bottom for slow cooking, (no top element heating)

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post

Ha Ha, but you won't regret it.

I was sceptical before i cooked with one, but they are a good addition to the usual appliances we all use.

the slow cook function only uses the bottom element, however i don't know how accurate the temperature control is.

it does have 10 degee jumps in the set temperature, ie 50C 60C 70C etc, so i would hope it would be plus or minus 5 degrees, (or pointless having 10 degree jumps)

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoPantera View Post
    the slow cook function only uses the bottom element, however i don't know how accurate the temperature control is.

it does have 10 degee jumps in the set temperature, ie 50C 60C 70C etc, so i would hope it would be plus or minus 5 degrees, (or pointless having 10 degree jumps)
    Yes, I know that and there's not set temperatures on mine.