closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Advice please - insuring and taxing a van with a plate and owner change same day

Advice please - insuring and taxing a van with a plate and owner change same day

Looking for some advice, I have googled and can not find an answer.

I have agreed to buy a van, but it has a private plate the current owner wants to transfer. However the owners want to do the transfer in the day so how does this work.

1. We go online to the DVLA and do the transfer - no questions on this
    2. Is the new registration immediately registered so I can go on line and transfer the V5 into my name?
    3. Will I be able stop go a tax the car under the new reg?

This is all going top happen on a Sunday and I don't want to have to go backs it is an 3 hour round trip each time and get the van a week later while systems all catch up.

Thank you for anyone who can shed any light on this as if it can not work, I want the owner to do this in advance.

Rich

Can’t help on the plate but if you call you can insure with the VIN. We insured once using this when our number plate wasn’t recognised.

Master
    I believe that the seller must change the personal plate before he sells the van to you. Shouldn’t take him long. He should have the new V5C within a week or so.

https://www.gov.uk/personalised-vehi...ate-number-off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that guys, I am going to insist wait the week than rush and feel unsure.

Rich

Master
    When you go online to remove the personal plate and an email comes instantly authorising the replacement with the plate it was born with.Tax and DVLA update instantly BUT V5 is posted out.

As above, the current owner needs to transfer the plate off and then post off the current v5 and wait for it to come back before you take ownership of it.

Master
    Plate online service is not guaranteed, only if taxed or Sorned continuously for 5 years,any break and its postal only.

Not certain if done online if the retention AND the Change of keeper can be done in one hit as the old V5 becomes redundant and you would need the new V5 no to change keepers. Lots of trust or wait till the correct V5 with the as born number on comes in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    As above, the current owner needs to transfer the plate off and then post off the current v5 and wait for it to come back before you take ownership of it.
    The instruction will be to destroy the V5 following a plate transfer. The original number goes on. The new V5 usually takes 3-5 days but postal strikes could mean anything.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    I believe that the seller must change the personal plate before he sells the van to you. Shouldn’t take him long. He should have the new V5C within a week or so.

https://www.gov.uk/personalised-vehi...ate-number-off

What Nige has said above. I recently sold my Skoda Superb to a forum member. Took approx 4-5 days for the new V5 to come through.

Personally I'd want the correct V5C and correct plates on the car so you don't get a load of grief from plod.

Sent from my CPH2305 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gingerboy View Post
    What Nige has said above. I recently sold my Skoda Superb to a forum member. Took approx 4-5 days for the new V5 to come through.

Personally I'd want the correct V5C and correct plates on the car so you don't get a load of grief from plod.

Sent from my CPH2305 using Tapatalk
    I am with you on this, thanks again all it just felt wrong.

It’s such hard work trying to buy this van I have walked away.

The serearch for the transit custom continues😀

Quote Originally Posted by MacDeath View Post
    The instruction will be to destroy the V5 following a plate transfer. The original number goes on. The new V5 usually takes 3-5 days but postal strikes could mean anything.
    Ah yes I stand corrected the transfer of the plate auto triggers an updated V5.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post
    I am with you on this, thanks again all it just felt wrong.

It’s such hard work trying to buy this van I have walked away.

The serearch for the transit custom continues😀
    You would think the seller would want to sell it smoothly and in the right way. I am struggling to see what his problem is.

Only thing I can think of is he doesn’t want to pay the admin fee to change his insurance over. Although it’s the same vehicle he may have to pay a fee for the switch in registration number. And perhaps he is hoping to avoid the £80 fee for the retention certificate.

You are right to walk away

Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    You would think the seller would want to sell it smoothly and in the right way. I am struggling to see what his problem is.

Only thing I can think of is he doesn’t want to pay the admin fee to change his insurance over. Although it’s the same vehicle he may have to pay a fee for the switch in registration number. And perhaps he is hoping to avoid the £80 fee for the retention certificate.

You are right to walk away

The £80 fee is payable whether the plate goes on retention or onto another vehicle, it must be the insurance angle that he’s trying to avoid by making it the buyer’s problem.