closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 36mm Explorers on leather

36mm Explorers on leather

I'm hoping to pick up a 36mm Rolex Explorer at some point. I'm not entirely sure which model to go for. The thing is, I'm not a bracelet fan at all. All my watches end up on leather.

I've read that the 14270 is easier to put on leather than the 114270, due to the lug hole placement. Because of that I've been ignoring the 114270. Am I right to do so?

Then there's the modern 124270. Is that any better, re leather strap fitting?

At the moment I'm thinking the 14270 is the way forward, but I'd be interested to hear other people's opinions or experiences. Ta.

Master
    I too, love explorers on leather.

This is about as good as it gets for me.

https://www.gq.com/story/hodinkees-watch-report

Master
    Blog Entries
    My 114270 on leather, easy to do.

green shot

Master
    Agree with above. Any of the current trend “vintage straps” (side loop stitch or straight stitch work best on the Explorer). The 1016 aesthetic will however always be the more successful solution.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Slevin Kelevra View Post
    I too, love explorers on leather.

This is about as good as it gets for me.

https://www.gq.com/story/hodinkees-watch-report
    The 1016 is perfection, isn't it.

And much too expensive, unfortunately.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nitsy View Post
    The 1016 is perfection, isn't it.

And much too expensive, unfortunately.
    Yes, unfortunately I’d need to sell 90% of my collection to even begin to afford one.

I picked up an Everest purely as an experiment and it’s a fun watch. Absolutely no replacement for the real thing though IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by nitsy View Post
    Then there's the modern 124270. Is that any better, re leather strap fitting?
    The current 36mm Explorer has 19mm lug width and has a notched case for the bracelet. If you want to wear an Explorer on leather I'd avoid this latest iteration.

https://wornandwound.com/review/role...124270-review/

photo from the article

Master
    Well spotted. Bit of a weird one if you ask me.

I’ve actually tried one of those on and it wears brilliantly on the bracelet but I would definitely want the option to change to a strap too.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post
    The current 36mm Explorer has 19mm lug width and has a notched case for the bracelet. If you want to wear an Explorer on leather I'd avoid this latest iteration.

photo from the article
    Never knew about that, thanks for pointing it out. In all the videos I watched about this watch around its release date, I never once saw this mentioned. Can't say I'm a fan of that decision from Rolex at all, seems entirely unnecessary and an eye-sore on a strap.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Never knew about that, thanks for pointing it out. In all the videos I watched about this watch around its release date, I never once saw this mentioned. Can't say I'm a fan of that decision from Rolex at all, seems entirely unnecessary and an eye-sore on a strap.

Also, news to me.

My take from that is they expect their customers to keep it on the bracelet, which almost all will.

Grand Master
    I`ve never liked the Explorer or Datejust on anything other than a bracelet, the section between the lugs has a rough grained finish that never looks right when exposed. I once tried a 34mm Air King on a leather strap and it just looked wrong to me so I swapped it straight back.

Quote Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post

photo from the article
    GO have been known to do exactly this on their Senator range (ask me how I know).