TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 293 of 364 FirstFirst ... 193243283291292293294295303343 ... LastLast
Results 14,601 to 14,650 of 18197

Thread: More bike related stuff

Great day for a ride!

So let's spend it trying to trace a misfire

Really must give the bike a deep clean!

Master
    Yeh managed to get out for about 50 miles through the countryside and back down the coast
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr

Not found the cause of the misfire (which so far only happens at high revs when it's hot), but I have had a good clean up and fixed the seat lock so not entirely unsuccessful.

All back together so I'm going shopping for some carrots

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Not found the cause of the misfire (which so far only happens at high revs when it's hot), but I have had a good clean up and fixed the seat lock so not entirely unsuccessful.

Ah, the old carrot juice in the fuel trick?

That was a joke in case anyone thinks it may be an old, long forgotten remedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I think I've found the perfect one, Marc - heavy duty option for tourers, etc and would certainly avoid the need for additional paved turning circles!
    Last edited by learningtofly; 12th March 2023 at 14:04.

Master

It is usually high tension plug leads or coils breaking down when hot.

Sent from my SM-A127F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I think I've found the perfect one, Marc - heavy duty option for tourers, etc and would certainly avoid the need for additional paved turning circles!
    Perfect. Much cheaper (and faster) than paving an area and then struggling with multi points u-turns. Plus you gain the ability to move the bikes laterally, potentially opening the door to a second one ;)
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Perfect. Much cheaper (and faster) than paving an area and then struggling with multi points u-turns. Plus you gain the ability to move the bikes laterally, potentially opening the door to a second one ;)
    I've found that all these bike-movers need very smooth ground/flooring with no ridges. Otherwise they are a struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Ah, the old carrot juice in the fuel trick?
    Bigger problem than that. I've had to reach for the rhubarb and ginger juice. That'll clean it out.

Good point :)

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I've found that all these bike-movers need very smooth ground/flooring with no ridges. Otherwise they are a struggle.
    Noted, thanks. I do have a decent concrete base already but would probably have it paved anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    It is usually high tension plug leads or coils breaking down when hot.
    That's what I suspected.

I did replace the original coil with one from the later R1100/R1150 which doesn't suffer from the same problem as the originals, and the plugs are new Bosch. I'm not sure when I did the coil upgrade, but it wasn't that recently though.

I was considering just buying another new coil, leads and plugs as that's likely cheaper than getting one of the 3 diagnosed, but having taken it out and abused it a little I'm now thinking fuel.

The problem is occurring under load at higher revs but the problem is persisting as the revs drop until the bike has "recovered" a little. I made a point of taking it up the steep him near home and opening it up. The problem occurred at high revs but didn't go away as the speed/revs dropped until I going quite slowly.

I've been meaning to get in-line filters for a while, and popping a couple of those in should give a visual indication of whether the fuel is getting from the tank to the carbs ok

Well done on getting out Tony, good for the soul!

Trip down to Devon was great, if a little cold and wet at times. Nice to get away to see old school friends and ride down with one I’ve been touring with for 25 years!

I think the one Tony is looking at is only a turntable and cannot be used to move the bike.

I used to have a dolly similar to the Clarke Strong-Arm; it was incredibly industrial in construction, weighed a ton (not literally) and didn't have very good castors and so was a pain to move around, even on a reasonably smooth concrete floor - I sent it back as not fit for purpose. I'm sure there are good ones out there, though.

I have a Becker mover, that can be used on centre stands alone or rear wheel and sidestand. very well made.

Not sure how they stack up pricewise, but can give some ideas as to what is best.

The full-length 'trough' with sidestand support would seem to be very versatile.

https://www.sportouring.co.uk/shop/s...al-bike-mover/

Most of these movers have castors which allow movement in all directions. With every type - you can benefit from fixing a decent strap and handle to each end to pull in whatever direction you want (even rotating) - as it avoids you pushing the bike higher upl
    Last edited by blackal; 12th March 2023 at 16:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    I think the one Tony is looking at is only a turntable and cannot be used to move the bike.
    I think you're right, Bob. However, I also think it would give me enough assistance in repositioning a bike that it would still meet my use case. What I also like about it is it's capacity to carry a weight of up to 600kg (my bike is 365kg, from memory).

That said, this is another option from the same supplier with full movement capability.

NB: Sadly, I have no plans to buy a second bike any time soon.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 12th March 2023 at 16:42.

Master

Gyp dont coils cause misfires when they fail when hot, I m sure on my XL250 the forums were full of misfires when hot and under load. Swapping out coils cured them. Another option is the points being worn and earthing, easy to spot if you can access them when running, Im not sure where they are on boxer twins.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Gyp dont coils cause misfires when they fail when hot, I m sure on my XL250 the forums were full of misfires when hot and under load. Swapping out coils cured them. Another option is the points being worn and earthing, easy to spot if you can access them when running, Im not sure where they are on boxer twins.
    They do, but I'm less inclined to think that's the problem. The experimentation will continue; I've got some in-line fuel filters on order.

Oh and they ceased with points in (I think) 1980. My earliest one is 1982.

Master
    Exactly this. I had one with a floor of some sort of nature stone full with small puts and holes. The bike movers was terrible to use.

Master
    Great day for a ride!

So let's spend it trying to trace a misfire

Really must give the bike a deep clean!
    My mates just bought this old thing. 2 owners from ;ew and completely original with panniers, pump under the seat, tool kit the lot. I’ll point him to your post here and tell him he can do one when his breaks down.. which it wil.

Master
    As for me, I picked this beauty up yesterday at a price that I was convinced was a scam. But no the seller was a genuine nice bloke that just needed a very quick trouble free sale which is exactly what he got..

Speed Twin engine, 975 miles on the clock. 100bhp. I’m going to chuck it in the Speedmaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    My mates just bought this old thing. 2 owners from ;ew and completely original with panniers, pump under the seat, tool kit the lot. I’ll point him to your post here and tell him he can do one when his breaks down.. which it will.
    I'm the 2nd owner of my R80; first one had it for a month.

I'm the 4th owner of my R65, but I think I was the 2nd as well, with my dad being the 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post

That looks rather nice, tbh.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Yeh managed to get out for about 50 miles through the countryside and back down the coast
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr
    How do you find it off-road on those tyres? They look mostly road-orientated

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    How do you find it off-road on those tyres? They look mostly road-orientated
    I don’t 
    I’m strictly tarmac - my green lane days are over for sure- apparently they’re ok for compact etc but carp on anything challenging
    That’s a 200kg bike
    It’s great on the tarmac, just swapped the front sprocket up to a 16 and it’s made it even better -1st was very short before
    When I ride it I’m 17 again riding my TS without a care in the world
    Last edited by lewie; 13th March 2023 at 19:09.

Craftsman
    I'm the 2nd owner of my R80; first one had it for a month.

I'm the 4th owner of my R65, but I think I was the 2nd as well, with my dad being the 3rd.

That looks rather nice, tbh.

I’ve had this one for 11 years. I’m the second owner of this one - the first being the police (so in reality I’m probs the 20th odd ‘owner’!!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    That's what I suspected.

I did replace the original coil with one from the later R1100/R1150 which doesn't suffer from the same problem as the originals, and the plugs are new Bosch. I'm not sure when I did the coil upgrade, but it wasn't that recently though.

I was considering just buying another new coil, leads and plugs as that's likely cheaper than getting one of the 3 diagnosed, but having taken it out and abused it a little I'm now thinking fuel.

The problem is occurring under load at higher revs but the problem is persisting as the revs drop until the bike has "recovered" a little. I made a point of taking it up the steep him near home and opening it up. The problem occurred at high revs but didn't go away as the speed/revs dropped until I going quite slowly.

I've been meaning to get in-line filters for a while, and popping a couple of those in should give a visual indication of whether the fuel is getting from the tank to the carbs ok
    What are the fuel pipes like? I know on the GS at high revs, old fuel pipes close up due to deteriorating with age and not being able to keep open with the fuel flow.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Just a question for those who tour on their bikes.

Do you wear padded underwear to be more comfortable & if so what ones?

I'm riding down to the Nurburgring at the end of the month. The low seat on my S1000R is pretty firm & I tend to get a numb backside after a couple of hours.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post

I'm riding down to the Nurburgring at the end of the month. The low seat on my S1000R is pretty firm & I tend to get a numb backside after a couple of hours.
    I’ve been contemplating this too as I have a 6 day trip this year and the seat on the Tenere is modelled on a plank of sawn timber
    Moto-Skiveez Seem to get highly rated - I was tempted to try my cycling shorts - I’ve got a sheepy for the all out adventure look and was hoping that might take the edge of the seat

Some swear by sheepskin seat covers, but the thing that made the biggest difference for me was getting a good layered clothing. I bought a 2-piece base layer from EDZ (https://edz.co.uk/) before our trip to the Amalfi coast and it was transformational.

Mine's the cheaper option that they used to do alongside the merino wool and it was excellent. All day comfort, then pop it off, wash in the sink, hang up and ready to ride again the next day.

There's nothing fancy, it's not padded, but I think it's as much to do with allowing the body to move a little so you don't get sore patches like I previously did with regular cotton

Master

Hi Andy,
    Cycling shorts are the most invisible option. Although it does feel like you're sitting on a block of jelly! I've used Coolseat covers (the springy mesh) for a few years, and found that they were excellent for adding extra comfort, with the addition of eliminating wet bum when it rains as the springy mesh doesn't allow water to pool on the seat. They are also excellent during the summer allowing air to circulate under your bum.

first thing i got for my mt10 was a comfort seat, im sure BMW do one for the s1000r , if not get your original one redone.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    first thing i got for my mt10 was a comfort seat, im sure BMW do one for the s1000r , if not get your original one redone.
    I still find it amusing that manufacturers sell uncomfortable seats and want you to pay a fair amount to replace it with a comfortable option.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    I don't want to add any height to the seat if I can avoid it.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    Hi Andy,
    I've used Coolseat covers (the springy mesh) for a few years
    How thick are they Ade?
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

whatever you use you are going to add seat height , seat recover may add height but can be kept to a minimium , seat pad will add height and wearing padding that makes it look like you have a baboons arse is going to make you sit higher.

*ive seen some pretty good recovers that use gel inserts that add next to nothing to the height - just need to affirm it with the seat recoverer.
    Last edited by pugster; 16th March 2023 at 15:29.

Gel inserts will be your best option Andy, they can be had in different thickness's depending how much can be added not to raise your seat height.
    You will however still need to break the bugger in!

Brian.

https://www.saddlecraft.co.uk/what-w...eats/gel-pads/
    Last edited by BRGRSP; 16th March 2023 at 16:12.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BRGRSP View Post
    Gel inserts will be your best option Andy, they can be had in different thickness's depending how much can be added not to raise your seat height.
    You will however still need to break the bugger in!

Brian.
    Are we talking a*se gel inserts 😂

Master
    How thick are they Ade?
    Maybe 4mm uncompressed? They don’t add any discernible height as they compress under body weight.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    Hi Andy,
    Cycling shorts are the most invisible option. Although it does feel like you're sitting on a block of jelly! I've used Coolseat covers (the springy mesh) for a few years, and found that they were excellent for adding extra comfort, with the addition of eliminating wet bum when it rains as the springy mesh doesn't allow water to pool on the seat. They are also excellent during the summer allowing air to circulate under your bum.
    Two things going on and I endorse both. The bike shorts just give you an extra bit of padding, even if at first you feel like you are wearing a nappy. The coolseats allow air circulation and ease pressure points. Both contribute to a happy arse. I used cycling shorts on the long legs down to italy. Still had to get off every 120 miles or so due to numb bum.

I also have a Sargent comfort seat as the original GS offering was like a board.

Ps if you dont have cycling shorts, buy a cycling liner, even more discrete and covers less of your torso with lycra

The standard seat on the Fantic Caballero is uncomfortable after about 59 minutes. It seems from the facebook owner's group that it's not just me - everyone seems to have a comfort issue with it. I'm used to wearing (bib) cycling shorts as I do (or at least did) quite a lot of mountain biking so they were the natural solution for me and work well.

Master

Air hawk are really good as are sheepskins. I’ve never fully understood bike seats, on both my VFRs an 800 and a Vtec I could do the south of France from North Yorkshire in a day albeit a long one, on the GS Adventure I got to replace then about 300 miles is the pain limit before a bar and hotel is required.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

For the long rides (e.g. to Nurburgring and beyond) I generally use Moto Skiveez and find they help, as does the coolseat cover (on the GS). Both will raise the seat height a bit, combined maybe half an inch .
    If you get the Moto Skiveez make sure you get the right one for the style of bike/riding position.

Craftsman
    I ride an enduro in quite long events (15-20hrs) that have lots of road work. Even with a Seat Concepts Seat and padded undies I can still only manage 45mins in the saddle before I’ve had enough. I’ve taken to standing up for a bit which does help, easy on an enduro though as that’s how they’re supposed to be ridden.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Sadly, I have no plans to buy a second bike any time soon.
    Ahem, HD resale values are still good and there are rumors of a 100th anniversary R9T...

Just saying.

;-)

Quote Originally Posted by aFiercePancake View Post
    Ahem, HD resale values are still good and there are rumors of a 100th anniversary R9T...

Just saying.

;-)

I've just re-hinged my panniers. Not a sentence I expected to utter today.

Just noticed a few days ago that when I opened the top, the bottom opened as well.

If I'm going to lose my pants in a carpark, I don't want it to be because of a saggy hinge.

Whitby

Happy to go solo, but if this would interest anyone feel free to drop me a PM. It will be the second half of that 12-week timeline as I’d want to get my next infusion in first (and it’ll be warmer).
    Last edited by learningtofly; 18th March 2023 at 10:06.

Craftsman
    Enjoying my new ride: Honda NC750X

Looking forward to spending more time riding it than I do cleaning it...

Haytor Dartmoor...

And at least my helmet fits inside the Frunk =)

Consider a gel seat conversion.
    Not difficult.
    For what they're worth, my tips are...
    Borrow/buy a good staple gun, makes the job so much easier
    Don't be tempted to go for the super thick insert...you'll lose seat sensitivity and you'll feel as though the bike is moving under you.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Samlack99 View Post
    Enjoying my new ride: Honda NC750X

Looking forward to spending more time riding it than I do cleaning it...
    A lad I ride with has one. He is the type of person who changes his bike annually! First he had the NC700, now the 750. Must have had it three years plus, claims its the best ever do it all bike he has owned. During the same period a GS1250/ Honda Africa Twin At have come and gone, the NC has outlasted them.

Nephew used to use an NC700 for commuting 70m/day. Cheap enough except he went back to Honda dealer for all servicing.

Probably the best commuting 'real bike' around (in my opinion)