closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Tudor Releases - Watches & Wonders 2023

Hybrid View

Wow, boring. Tudor’s designs are just so unappealing to me across 90% of their lineup.

The GMT - why is it still 15mm thick when Rolex could make when Rolex could make a GMT 12mm thick in the 60s?

Quote Originally Posted by RVFIO View Post
    The GMT - why is it still 15mm thick when Rolex could make when Rolex could make a GMT 12mm thick in the 60s?
    Never give the masses exactly what they want, unless they are paying the big money. Those that aren't paying enough...keep them satisfied enough but with a niggling compromise so they want more.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Never give the masses exactly what they want, unless they are paying the big money. Those that aren't paying enough...keep them satisfied enough but with a niggling compromise so they want more.
    Pretty much sums Tudor up in a lot of situations.

They have some great watches which work very well but they are probably purposely not designed to compete with big brother.

I watch each years big-name releases with some curiosity, and the same applies to watching people's reactions - I suspect there's a lot in what Christian just posted, but equally we have to remember that WIS and the UK are trivial markets - consumer research will be much more interested in what Asia wants...

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    I watch each years big-name releases with some curiosity, and the same applies to watching people's reactions - I suspect there's a lot in what Christian just posted, but equally we have to remember that WIS and the UK are trivial markets - consumer research will be much more interested in what Asia wants...
    You'd think that consumer research influenced what was launched but I really don't think Rolex/Tudor work that way. I think they follow what Steve Jobs said:

“Some people say, "Give the customers what they want." But that's not my approach. Our job is to figure out what they're going to want before they do. I think Henry Ford once said, "If I'd asked customers what they wanted, they would have told me, 'A faster horse!'" People don't know what they want until you show it to them. That's why I never rely on market research. Our task is to read things that are not yet on the page.”

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    You'd think that consumer research influenced what was launched but I really don't think Rolex/Tudor work that way. I think they follow what Steve Jobs said:

“Some people say, "Give the customers what they want." But that's not my approach. Our job is to figure out what they're going to want before they do. I think Henry Ford once said, "If I'd asked customers what they wanted, they would have told me, 'A faster horse!'" People don't know what they want until you show it to them. That's why I never rely on market research. Our task is to read things that are not yet on the page.”

Fair point. Rolex in particular could issue a wrist-worn dog turd and fanbhois would be noshing ADs to get a place in the queue...

Master
    The Black Bay 39mm on a jubilee looks very tempting...

Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post

If there was any one watch that didn't need a jubilee bracelet, it's this one. Just wrong IMO.

Maybe if they polished the bezel? But even then…

Cant wait to see the light champagne dial (silver) in the flesh.

Master
    The new 41 burgundy is interesting. With the more pronounced teeth and jubilee bracelet it is leaning more to modern than vintage when compared to the other Bb 41 watches. Also Tudor confirmed on Instagram it is 13.6mm thick. That’s good but still beefy for a time only watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    The new 41 burgundy is interesting. With the more pronounced teeth and jubilee bracelet it is leaning more to modern than vintage when compared to the other Bb 41 watches. Also Tudor confirmed on Instagram it is 13.6mm thick. That’s good but still beefy for a time only watch.
    I was excited for this but 13.6mm is just too thick. I got rid of a Seamaster 42mm because it was too thick and this would absolutely be the same. If only the BB58 was a little bigger :-(

The massive bonus of Rolex models is that they are (mostly) gorgeously slim such that even the 42mm Explorer2 wears elegantly on the average wrists. I do wonder if Tudor are required to keep their cases deeper so that they don't compete with bigger brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    Better teeth, thinner, and no coloured crown tube. It's certainly more interesting but the colour options are limited. Shame they left the rivets. The best bracelet on a black bay was the ETA.

I hate it. The whole design is so confused. Start off with a classic, functionally legible dial from a dive watch, except remove the rotating bezel, and stick it in an oyster-like case, so that it looks more like a hybrid field diver; then consider whether a tried and tested, toolish oyster bracelet is a good option but stick a blingy, dressy jubilee on it instead.

Finally to make sure it really doesn’t work, how about diamante indices??

It’s so weird. The correct thing to do would be to buy a bb39, sell the jubilee to some poor soul who wants one on their BB58 and either stick it on leather or buy a ranger bracelet.

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    I hate it. The whole design is so confused. Start off with a classic, functionally legible dial from a dive watch, except remove the rotating bezel, and stick it in an oyster-like case, so that it looks more like a hybrid field diver; then consider whether a tried and tested, toolish oyster bracelet is a good option but stick a blingy, dressy jubilee on it instead.

Finally to make sure it really doesn’t work, how about diamante indices??

It’s so weird. The correct thing to do would be to buy a bb39, sell the jubilee to some poor soul who wants one on their BB58 and either stick it on leather or buy a ranger bracelet.
    Surely all these new models are, are in fact a steel version of the BB S&G models they all ready make.

The previous BB36 (blue, silver, black dials, oyster bracelet ETA) have been discontinued as there really wasn't a need for them any more. One could argue the re-released Ranger has taken that mantel.

BB58 and variations = Desk dive watch = Rolex Sub
    BB36 (various sizes) = Everyday watch = Rolex OP
    Ranger = tool watch = Explorer
    GMT = Travel watch = GMT Rolex
    BB Pro = Explorer 2
    Pelagos = serious diver = Sea dweller.
    BB Chonos = Daytona

Tudor is just trimming the fat from its line up and looking to come into the market segment Rolex used to operate in.

Just my thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    Surely all these new models are, are in fact a steel version of the BB S&G models they all ready make.

The previous BB36 (blue, silver, black dials, oyster bracelet ETA) have been discontinued as there really wasn't a need for them any more. One could argue the re-released Ranger has taken that mantel.

BB Pro = Explorer 2
    BB Chonos = Daytona

Tudor is just trimming the fat from its line up and looking to come into the market segment Rolex used to operate in.

Just my thoughts
    I agree with your comparisons but for me the problem with the vast majority of Tudors is they are either too small or too thick. BB Pro, BB chronos and GMT are all way too thick imo.

By comparison, the equivalent Rolex models are all elegantly slim and that makes all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post

BB Pro = Explorer 2
    BB Chonos = Daytona

Just my thoughts
    I don’t disagree with your comparisons above, my point is that they’re trying to stretch the black bay into every category and to me, it doesn’t work in this configuration.

Sure, one can argue Rolex repeats the submariner layout for the GMT, ExpII, YM, SD. However, they have the good sense to have a different dial and handset for the DJ, OP, skydweller, Daytona, Exp I. Those are more elegant watches and that’s reflected in more than than the case and bracelet.

Tudor had a datejust / day date it was the Tudor Prince, and last I checked they still sold it in Asia. Rather than making a confused mess out of the BB, why not bring back a prince redesign?

Quote Originally Posted by RVFIO View Post
    Wow, boring. Tudor’s designs are just so unappealing to me across 90% of their lineup.

You pretty much answered your own question there.