closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Please show your vintage solid gold timepieces

Hybrid View

Craftsman
    18K Geomatic, rarely sees the wrist, but on special occasions.

Cannot find the dealer receipt and have forgotten if it's 12ct or 14ct ... aware it's not 9ct. No visible hall mark on exterior inc. lugs. Any advice on how to open the case , safely, would be appreciated - so can access interior hall mark(s). Cannot see any obvious / visible case separation join when examined carefully with a loupe

BW, dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 2nd April 2023 at 20:36.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post

Cannot find the dealer receipt and have forgotten if it's 12ct or 14ct ... aware it's not 9ct. No visible hall mark on exterior inc. lugs. Any advice on how to open the case , safely, would be appreciated - so can access interior hall mark(s). Cannot see any obvious / visible case separation join when examined carefully with a loupe

BW, dunk
    If it’s UK watch it’ll be 9 or 18k. US/Canada was different, maybe 14k?

Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    If it’s UK watch it’ll be 9 or 18k. US/Canada was different, maybe 14k?
    Thank you. Considering selling so need to photograph the gold mark / stamp .... maybe UK hallmark inside the case.

BW, dunk

Thank you. Considering selling so need to photograph the gold mark / stamp .... maybe UK hallmark inside the case.

BW, dunk
    I think it’s a snap back case.
    Look where the case back joins the mid case, should be a tiny gap, often its close to a lug.
    A very sharp knife, with cellotape over it to stop scratches should open it.

Look where the case back joins the mid case, should be a tiny gap, often its close to a lug.
    Thank you. I will check again but have already checked several times. It's a very well designed / engineered case.
    And thank you for the tape tip.

Grand Master
    No!

The Deville and Seamaster Deville is a top-loader, there is no separate caseback. The bezel can be removed using a caseknife, the crystal has to be removed with a crystal lifter, the crown has a split stem and can be removed by carefully pulling it out ( a presto tool is better). The movement and dial can then be lifted out of the case after rotating anti- clockwise slightly.

Unless you know what you’re doing and have the tools I do not advice trying to do this.

I have the same watch in 9ct gold. 9ct, 14ct and 18ct were produced , and rolled gold versions were popular too. Easy to confuse rolled gold with solid gold owing to the case design.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 2nd April 2023 at 22:01.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    No!

The Deville and Seamaster Deville is a top-loader, there is no separate caseback. The bezel can be removed using a caseknife, the crystal has to be removed with a crystal lifter, the crown has a split stem and can be removed by carefully pulling it out ( a presto tool is better). The movement and dial can then be lifted out of the case after rotating anti- clockwise slightly.

Unless you know what you’re doing and have the tools I do not advice trying to do this.

I have the same watch in 9ct gold. 9ct, 14ct and 18ct were produced , and rolled gold versions were popular too. Easy to confuse rolled gold with solid gold owing to the case design.
    Thank you ... I thought it might be a top loader ... so did not pursue .... especially as no visible join on the back. Has a 'pull-push' date adjustment.

Likely a 14ct case. If it's an 18ct i'd have remembered. Keeps good time but the hands adjustment 'slips'.
    Last edited by sundial; 2nd April 2023 at 22:22.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    A few of mine that came and went over the past 20+ years...(many posted elsewhere on the forum):

...and its motor:

...and its motor:

...and

Maybe more some other time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    A 3919 from 1991

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    not in the league of some posted but here are my goldies

and this one has moved on but i still think it's a really classy everyday gold watch
    Quote Originally Posted by Caruso View Post
    1803 from 1974

Quote Originally Posted by size11s View Post
    18K Geomatic, rarely sees the wrist, but on special occasions.

BW, dunk
    Some lovely watches.

I remember my Dad wearing a Hamilton piece for years.