closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Samuel Smiths India Ale

Journeyman

Samuel Smiths India Ale

Hi gentlemen,

I like this beer when it’s available in the states. Is it a popular brand in the U.K. or would this be synonymous with our lower end domestic beers like coors and the more recent controversial “bud light”?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Isildurs_bane View Post
    Hi gentlemen,

I like this beer when it’s available in the states. Is it a popular brand in the U.K. or would this be synonymous with our lower end domestic beers like coors and the more recent controversial “bud light”?
    SSIA is a really excellent ale, much superior to Coors and many many levels superior to BL!
    Alternatively Timothy Taylor’s Landlord or the stronger Old Crafty Hen, neither will disappoint you!
    Last edited by KavKav; 29th April 2023 at 16:21.

Sam Smiths is a decent, regional (Yorkshire) independant brewery.

As touched on above, Timothy Taylor (also a Yorkshire brewery) Landlord is my favourite bottled beer.

It one of my favourites
    It’s a lovely beer

I like Sam Smiths beers and pubs. In my earlier days I spend many a weekend drinking in The Chandos next to Trafalgar Square. You could always get a good pint at a reasonable price in a London Sam Smiths pub.

Master
    Still not much more than a couple of quid a pint in The Brown Bear in Sheffield.

Journeyman
    Great. Thanks. I used to be able to buy the import of Fullers ESB and London Pride.

Now in the NorthWest there are not as many options for British imports. Mainly, Samuel Smiths and Boddingtons pub ale in the widget cans.

Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    Still not much more than a couple of quid a pint in The Brown Bear in Sheffield.
    Good price for a decent pint.

Quote Originally Posted by Isildurs_bane View Post
    Great. Thanks. I used to be able to buy the import of Fullers ESB and London Pride.

Now in the NorthWest there are not as many options for British imports. Mainly, Samuel Smiths and Boddingtons pub ale in the widget cans.
    Of trivial coincidence, Boddington's origins are in the North West of England. Some good old adverts (but you'll need to understand English accents to get the jokes), pretty grotty canned beer.

John Smiths, yet another Yorkshire brew, also did some funny telly adverts.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I like Sam Smiths beers and pubs. In my earlier days I spend many a weekend drinking in The Chandos next to Trafalgar Square. You could always get a good pint at a reasonable price in a London Sam Smiths pub.
    You and me both then!
    Still a place I use when meeting old friends as we all know where it is.
    Have introduced some of my younger friends to The Chandos as well and now meet them there too.
    Still reasonable prices for the ale.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Still can to be fair!
    Easily the cheapest pubs in London bar a ‘spoons

With regard Fullers beer, for some reason I can’t stand it. Which is a shame as it’s my local brewery (less than 5 mins in the car) and all pubs in my area are Fullers houses.
    I have tried to persevere but just can’t drink any of it.

I am just about to pop down to my local but will drink the guest beers as usual.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 29th April 2023 at 18:05.

Craftsman
    I have a couple of halves of Sam Smith stout every Monday at The Station hotel at Hunslet.
    It's probably one of the better stouts I have tasted, especially when you compare it to some of these chocolate and designer stouts that are about.
    Timothy Taylor's Landlord when kept right is one of the best beers out there.
    It's one of those where probably one in four is decent.

Sam Smith's range of ales get frequently mentioned in this thread:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Journeyman
    Thanks for the link.

I’m raising my pint of boddingtons to you gents across the pond. Cheers.

Saludos from a Limey in Espana, Amstel here at the moment, but it works.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    You and me both then!
    Still a place I use when meeting old friends as we all know where it is.
    Have introduced some of my younger friends to The Chandos as well and now meet them there too.
    Still reasonable prices for the ale.
    We are all just passing through. The Opera bar will be as full as ever, well after I am pushing up daisies.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Still can to be fair!
    Easily the cheapest pubs in London bar a ‘spoons

With regard Fullers beer, for some reason I can’t stand it. Which is a shame as it’s my local brewery (less than 5 mins in the car) and all pubs in my area are Fullers houses.
    I have tried to persevere but just can’t drink any of it.

I am just about to pop down to my local but will drink the guest beers as usual.
    Not a fan of old skool London or Home Counties breweries either. Whether it is Youngs, Fullers or Courage, they are all a bit meh. The Kent brewery Shepherd Neame is a bad as it gets, which is sad for such a great hop growing area.

Suffolk, Dorset and Yorkshire is always very reliable.

I was in the Blue Posts off Oxford Street a few weeks ago. Decent bitter for £5 a pint in London is gold.

It might be my age but it was bloody noisy downstairs. It wasn't packed, just the acoustics - I could barely hear the people I was sitting with. Maybe their beer makes you deafer?

When I first moved to London back in the late '90s beer prices were a shock from Liverpool, so when we discovered Sam Smiths pubs we were made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    we were made up.
    At least living in London for 20 years does nothing for the vernacular, LOL.

I went the same way, left in 1987 and arrived in the smoke in 1991. I could do without the £7 pints.

Master
    My building company did maintenance work for Sam Smiths back in the 70s. All local pubs which were fitted out beautifully. Always a pint for the surveyor when I visited. One of Yorkshire's finest. Enjoy.

Sent from my SM-A127F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    That's a pub that conjures up mixed memories...
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Blog Entries
    Currently relaxing very nicely in an excellent hotel high up on the Sorrento cliffs with a cracking view of Vesuvius and the port. All is good except the beer prices! As the nearest alcohol competition is miles away (downhill!) the local beer here in the hotel which is pleasant enough is €8 for 400ml, extraordinarily average wine is €40 a bottle although I must admit I do not know a lot when ordering Italian wine. Is the wine waiter’s expression as I try to order the equivalent of reasonable Sauvignon Blanc at less than €60!

I should not grumble really, we are fortunate to be here, the weather is good and SWMBO is happy enough!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    My building company did maintenance work for Sam Smiths back in the 70s. All local pubs which were fitted out beautifully. Always a pint for the surveyor when I visited. One of Yorkshire's finest. Enjoy.

Sent from my SM-A127F using Tapatalk
    It's probably the same decor in them today.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    Currently relaxing very nicely in an excellent hotel high up on the Sorrento cliffs with a cracking view of Vesuvius and the port. All is good except the beer prices! As the nearest alcohol competition is miles away (downhill!) the local beer here in the hotel which is pleasant enough is €8 for 400ml, extraordinarily average wine is €40 a bottle although I must admit I do not know a lot when ordering Italian wine. Is the wine waiter’s expression as I try to order the equivalent of reasonable Sauvignon Blanc at less than €60!

I should not grumble really, we are fortunate to be here, the weather is good and SWMBO is happy enough!
    There is a really good German bar near just behind the Hotel Cesare Augusto, some seriously good beers on draft and not too badly priced when we last went.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    There is a really good German bar near just behind the Hotel Cesare Augusto, some seriously good beers on draft and not too badly priced when we last went.
    Thanks very much for that, we are in the Hotel Aminta so that bar is doable! Not really worried about price for decent beer and a German bar will almost certainly hit the spot!

Two Sam Smith's houses in Durham, The Colpitts and The Swan. The Old Brewey Bitter is excellent in the 'Pits, very poor in the Swan, so I have a bottle if I go in there for a quiet rumination. Their Organic Chocolate Stout is superb . . .

Their Oatmeal Stout and Taddy Porter are also very good . . .

F.T.F.A.

I'll leave this here - the brewery owner's rubbish treatment of landlords put me right off the brand:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samu...#Controversies

Rather accessible video by comedian Joe Lycett here, although let it be noted that I entirely approve of no music in pubs!

https://youtu.be/-oDZB-ZyvTE
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 30th April 2023 at 14:09.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I'll leave this here - the brewery owner's rubbish treatment of landlords put me right off the brand:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samu...#Controversies

Rather accessible video by comedian Joe Lycett here, although let it be noted that I entirely approve of no music in pubs!

https://youtu.be/-oDZB-ZyvTE
    I have a couple of friends who've done work for the old fella, they have nothing complimentary to say about him.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Our very local Sam Smiths closed in 2019. Some customers had the nerve to swear and use their mobile phones apparently. Both against the archaic “rules”. It’s been a rotting eyesore ever since. Prime real estate here too. I find it hard to understand why they don’t do something with it. Or just sell up.

In contrast, the Robinsons pub 100 metres away is heaving and v popular. It’s the only other real pub nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Our very local Sam Smiths closed in 2019. Some customers had the nerve to swear and use their mobile phones apparently. Both against the archaic “rules”. It’s been a rotting eyesore ever since. Prime real estate here too. I find it hard to understand why they don’t do something with it. Or just sell up.

In contrast, the Robinsons pub 100 metres away is heaving and v popular. It’s the only other real pub nearby.
    I quite fancy trying some Robinson’s. It was the local brewery growing up. Moved away before I reached 13 and could get away with it in the pub as you could in the old days. My dad went to a Robinson’s pub. Any recommendations? I don’t like American hops or citrus tastes. Unicorn, Old Tom, Wizard?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I have a couple of friends who've done work for the old fella, they have nothing complimentary to say about him.
    His actions do appear to indicate a rather unsavoury individual!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    Thanks very much for that, we are in the Hotel Aminta so that bar is doable! Not really worried about price for decent beer and a German bar will almost certainly hit the spot!
    Did you partake??
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!