closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any electricians about? Lighting input needed

Master

Any electricians about? Lighting input needed

Hi

Decided to change a couple of lights for some ceiling mounted LED ones and am now stuck!

So, here's how the lights are set-up in that room:
    - Two pendant fittings, connected together
    - Operated via 2 switches - 1 by each door

So far, so good.

I undid the ceiling rose and found this:

So you can see the switched live, plus another cable in the same terminal

As the cables were very tight in the ceiling and I need to make some space for the new mount, I decided to drill into the plaster to make space. This revealed that the cables are coming through a wooden joist. While making space, I managed to nick one of the cables and cut the neutral cable. Found out later that this was the permanent live and have now repaired it (get 240 showing on multi-meter when tested).

After the issue with the cable, I put it all back together just to test it and each time I press the switch (1 of the 2 switches, its the first in the circuit), the breaker blows.
    Tried putting the live input into the Loop terminals and same thing.
    Tried swopping the switch and same thing.

So now I have no lights working in that room and am stuck.

I've tried so many different variations of the cabling that Ive now forgotten so thought I better stop and ask for advice.

So, this is what I started with:

This is the main light switch - the one that we use most in this room and probably first in that circuit:

This is the second ceiling rose - haven't undone it yet:

This is the second switch:

This is what the original ceiling rose connection looks like now:

I'm not sure if I have knackered the terminals in the old ceiling rose, fried the switch or if there is another issue with the cabling somewhere.

As I said, I have tested the permanent live and get a voltage reading, one of the other sets shows resistance when tested and the switched live nothing (as the switch is off).

Be grateful for any advice or thoughts as to what I could try next. Would really like to solve it myself as getting an electrician in for a small job will be a nightmare.

For reference, seeing this is a watch forum, I was wearing my newly serviced Rolex Sub while doing all this.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The red tape should be the switch wire,blacks are neutral ,leave the two reds as they are not connected to the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    The red tape should be the switch wire,blacks are neutral ,leave the two reds as they are not connected to the light.
    Correct, it’s standard three plate, with two way switch with the roses linked

Grand Master
    This is how it should be done, I always have to scratch my head and dig out this diagram when sorting 2 way switched lights.

Hard to tell from those photos but the 3 cables you have look like.

Live(r) and neutral(b) in
    Live(r) and switch live(b) to light switch
    Switch live(r) and neutral(b) out to second light as it looks like you've only got one cable at that fitting

If you think you've got it wired up as it was then I'd double check the repair you've made on the damaged cable.

If your happy with the repair then I'd turn the power off, disconnect the wires, tidy them up, and join the red and black together on one cable and use your multimeter on the continuity setting to test the red and black at the switch and at the other light fitting. Once you've identified one cable, mark it and move onto the next one. You should be left with one cable that won't bell out, this will be the main live and neutral.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Master
    Two things that you don't DIY, electrics an gas!

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    Two things that you don't DIY, electrics an gas!
    Hardly rocket science.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Hardly rocket science.
    So why does the OP have to post about it! (ask Elon Musk!) :)

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    So why does the OP have to post about it! (ask Elon Musk!) :)
    Because he’s stuck obviously but (with respect to him) not difficult for a competent DIYer.

Not exactly unusual for people to ask and get help on here.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by leo1790 View Post
    Hard to tell from those photos but the 3 cables you have look like.

Live(r) and neutral(b) in
    Live(r) and switch live(b) to light switch
    Switch live(r) and neutral(b) out to second light as it looks like you've only got one cable at that fitting

If you think you've got it wired up as it was then I'd double check the repair you've made on the damaged cable.

If your happy with the repair then I'd turn the power off, disconnect the wires, tidy them up, and join the red and black together on one cable and use your multimeter on the continuity setting to test the red and black at the switch and at the other light fitting. Once you've identified one cable, mark it and move onto the next one. You should be left with one cable that won't bell out, this will be the main live and neutral.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    Thanks. That is exactly what I have - Live / Switch Live to switch 1 / Switch Live to switch 2.

I've wired it all back up and regardless of which of the live cables I add with the switched live into the terminal, it blows the breaker.

So there must be some damage on some of the cables that I can't see.

At least I can still use the other lights on the ground floor, as long I leave this one with 1 live cable out of the block.

More head scratching....

Something doesn't add up at first glance:

The switch cable at the 1st rose is 2 C&E (Red = Live, Black sleeved red is the Switched live)

The photo of the 1st switch shows 3 cables, yellow, black & blue.

The 2nd switch shows blue red & yellow.

Have any of the cables at the switches been sleeved or are these the original core colours?

I'd expect to see the red and black (sleeved red) from the switch cable (from the 1st rose) at the 1st switch plus an additional 3 core cable running from the 1st to the 2nd switch.

The colours shown at present (if not sleeved) suggest another connection somewhere between the 1st rose and the switch (possibly a hidden junction box?).

The thing to remember with the old roses is there are 3 groups of connector there.

The outside two feed the lights and receive switch commands - the middle block is just a junction for the live feeds to go around the roof.

I would investigate what is in the ceiling above the roses - it is not uncommon for a "choc-box" of wires to be pushed up there wrapped in insulation tape.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Something doesn't add up at first glance:

The switch cable at the 1st rose is 2 C&E (Red = Live, Black sleeved red is the Switched live)

The photo of the 1st switch shows 3 cables, yellow, black & blue.

The 2nd switch shows blue red & yellow.

Have any of the cables at the switches been sleeved or are these the original core colours?

I'd expect to see the red and black (sleeved red) from the switch cable (from the 1st rose) at the 1st switch plus an additional 3 core cable running from the 1st to the 2nd switch.

The colours shown at present (if not sleeved) suggest another connection somewhere between the 1st rose and the switch (possibly a hidden junction box?).
    Surely that’s the pair going to the slave light, if it all works why does it matter if there is a join elsewhere?

Master
    Quick update - left it for a day or so and started again. Found out I'd nicked the cable going to the second rose which was causing the short. So, now all fixed and new lights in. Also discovered Wago connectors - what a difference they make in terms of ease and convenience.

Thanks all for your input and assistance.