closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaved off my beard

Master

Shaved off my beard

When I was 19 I grew tired of being asked for proof of age ID everywhere I went, so I decided to let me beard grow. And it worked - by the time I was 36. Since then I've never been asked.

28 years after letting it grow I decided to shave it off as in the last four weeks it's gone quite grey.

Now my chin feels weird. Does make me look younger though.

Ugly git alert! Prepare yourselves...

Last night:

This morning:

I think the clean shaven look is better - but you should take your bra off when sunbathing to avoid those strap lines.

Top off with the white beater tan?? Better without (the beard).

Master
    Blog Entries
    If you are worried about appearance I’d deal with the Hugh Grant floppy haircut …

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    If you are worried about appearance I’d deal with the Hugh Grant floppy haircut …
    I thought it rude to mention this .... but since you have, I agree!

Much better without the beard, mind you.

Master

The hair is normally tidier, that was a bed head.

I was in the sun for seven hours on Saturday, but three with my top on, hence the white lines which weren't there before Saturday. I've got some creosote so I'll fill it in.

Grand Master
    Wheres the picture of you with a beard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RIAC

I was getting more of a singer from Blancmange vibe. Thanks for sharing though; I'd be too bloody scared to post my ugly mug here.

I'd have to say the top photo is Magnum and the bottom is Blue Steel.

Master
    Always been clean shaven but my wife likes a bit of stubble these days and if it gets me laid more who am I to argue! No question no facial hair make men look younger.

I can't see past this!

Shaved off my beard

I have had a tidy well trimmed beard for the last 10+ years.

As I am in the youth of old age, I think a beard hides a lot of imperfections. Plus I do look a lot uglier without a beard.

Think David Mitchell in peep show without a beard and him on would I lie to you with a beard.

For some faces a beard can make you more attractive. Note, I didn’t say attractive.

Edit : always interested to see the faces of members on here. In my mind Filterlab looked nothing like his photo!
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 14th June 2023 at 10:35.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    I have had a tidy well trimmed beard for the last 10+ years.

As I am in the youth of old age, I think a beard hides a lot of imperfections. Plus I do look a lot uglier without a beard.

Think David Mitchell in peep show without a beard and him on would I lie to you with a beard.

For some faces a beard can make you more attractive. Note, I didn’t say attractive.

Edit : always interested to see the faces of members on here. In my mind Filterlab looked nothing like his photo!
    Yeah, I'd forgotten I had a scar on my chin from a cycling accident when I was 8.

What image of me did you have in mind?

Master
    I've had a beard for the last couple of years and wish I'd grown one sooner. I'm told it suits me but there's a lot of facial imperfection to hide so I think that's it!

I prefer it cut at 3-5mm so it's by no means a full beard but it's more than stubble in my book.

OP - I think the shaved look is probably better and chapeau for the bravery of posting the pics.

Grand Master
    Beards have become rather trendy in the last 5 years or so but along with skinny jeans they really need to be all or nothing. Something that looks like they have covered the face in pritt stick and stuck it in a fuzzy felt box just doesnt cut it.

RIAC

Master
    Personally prefer the facial hair
    More rugged look
    Also you’re not that ugly.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Beards have become rather trendy in the last 5 years or so but along with skinny jeans they really need to be all or nothing. Something that looks like they have covered the face in pritt stick and stuck it in a fuzzy felt box just doesnt cut it.

Skinny jeans should be outlawed on anyone over 25

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Skinny jeans should be outlawed on anyone over 25
    Those jeans that make the wearer look like they've shat themselves should also be on that list...
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I grew my beard as soon as I left school and it’s been part of me for most of my adult life. Although when I do remove it I quite enjoy the game of doing so by degrees, which goes:-

Beadle
    Goatee
    Zappa
    Mexican tache
    Regular tache
    Toothbrush tache

Following the last of these it’s obligatory to goose step around the bathroom for a bit before making the final cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Yeah, I'd forgotten I had a scar on my chin from a cycling accident when I was 8.

What image of me did you have in mind?
    Older, much older. Just because of your business experience.

This weekend is beard removal weekend for me as well

I'm in the all or nothing camp, although I have had Italian ultra sideburns, but the wife and kids say I look scary with them.

As soon as the weather gets cold I'll grow a full Jerry Garcia in shades of grey, then when summer rolls around it all comes off.

It's always a bit of a shock seeing yourself without the facial hair at first, and I quickly start getting annoyed at having to shave again. With a beard you forget how much time you saved not having to.

Not sure it makes me look any younger though because my hair's silver anyway, but I find a full beard in the heat uncomfortable so follow the same yearly ritual.

I can't stand those impeccably trimmed and tidy face-paint beards that some blokes go for, and I'm not a fan of the grow it until birds nest in it either, but a good beard is a good thing.

Grand Master
    Never been a fan of facial hair, the clean-shaven look suits me far better.

As for the OP's hair, looks like some serious scissor-work is required! Definitely a touch of the Hugh Grants going on there.

During lockdown I bought some electric clippers and started doing my own (with a little help from Mrs W). Just buzz it over every couple of weeks, no. 3 at the back and sides, no. 4 on top, takes me 20 mins, saves money and (more importantly) saves the hassle of hairdresser/barber visits. Some guys enjoy the pampering, I never did, always viewed it as a distress purchase.

Best advice for anyone going grey and /or losing it is to keep it short, also nice and cool in summer.

Craftsman
    I’ve only ever grown two beards and that’s only in the last two years.
    The first happened as I was working at home and had some cold type thing so really couldn’t be bothered to shave so I just thought, let’s see what happens.

I must confess, I did tailor it so I had a neat neckline, which was so much quicker than fully shaving.

It was generally okay although I struggled with the “have I got anything around my mouth” when I drank anything. It also felt slightly unclean even though I cleaned it every day when showering.

The second time was after I had an operation last year and was off work for a week so and again, I couldn’t be bothered to shave so just let it grow.

With both times, it’s only lasted about a month as I tried ‘trimming’ it slightly but that went wrong so I just thought, that’s it, get rid of it.

Having a beard in the winter is appealing but I do like the feeling of being clean shaven but the process is being that is an absolute hassle at times, particularly with the razor burn I sometimes get!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Mike2500 View Post
    With both times, it’s only lasted about a month as I tried ‘trimming’ it slightly but that went wrong so I just thought, that’s it, get rid it
    You need something like a Wahl beard trimmer for £10-15.

Been using them for 10 years and each one has lasted 5 years until a plastic part gives way.

You need something like a Wahl beard trimmer for £10-15.

Been using them for 10 years and each one has lasted 5 years until a plastic part gives way.
    Bought an Aldi special beard trimmer for around £16 the other week. Good quality, lots of settings and saves a lot of time.

Quick whip over - job done.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Grand Master

My last Yeard.
    RIAC

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    I thought it rude to mention this .... but since you have, I agree!

Much better without the beard, mind you.
    Was an attempt at humour, I’m bald so it’s only jealousy.

Master
    Older, much older. Just because of your business experience.
    Well, I'm older than I look to be honest. Currently 47 and a 'alf. But I've had my own personal business for 12 years and been a director of multiple businesses for six years.

For those concerned with my bonce chop... My hair is much closer than that during the day, less wayward; but it is long on top which is how I like it. I only had it cut yesterday.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Was an attempt at humour, I’m bald so it’s only jealousy.
    LOL!

Every two weeks I get my hair cut. Grows like Captain Caveman on protein shakes.

Master
    LOL!

Every two weeks I get my hair cut. Grows like Captain Caveman on protein shakes.
    I'm the same - I looked a lot like a sheep in lockdown as my hair just fluffs outwards. The purchase of some very good scissors and Wahl professional clippers (total under £200) plus the gleeful intervention of the good lady barrister 'er indoors Mrs LBC rectified the situation. As a result I've not been to a barber's since February 2020. Think of all that inane conversation I've not had to have!

The purchase of some very good scissors and Wahl professional clippers (total under £200)
    Are they made of gold or sharpened resting on the inner thigh of a virgin milk maiden?

Master
    Are they made of gold or sharpened resting on the inner thigh of a virgin milk maiden?
    Wahl 5-Star cordless rechargeable clippers are around £100, decent scissors start from around that price. Then again, they are designed to cut all day, every day.

Wahl 5-Star cordless rechargeable clippers are around £100, decent scissors start from around that price. Then again, they are designed to cut all day, every day.
    My Wahl kit (£25 from Argos) came with decent scissors. Works like a charm as long as you clean and oil the blades. Not been to a barber for over 8 years.

£200 seems overkill unless you're in the trade.

Fair enough. Buy cheap, buy twice and all that.

Just realised who the OP reminds me of…

Filterlab

Lloyd Cole

Is it possible to give me the name and address of your Butcher Barber please? This is so that I can hurry on by if I'm ever passing there.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    My Wahl kit (£25 from Argos) came with decent scissors. Works like a charm as long as you clean and oil the blades. Not been to a barber for over 8 years.

£200 seems overkill unless you're in the trade.
    I tried the cheap clippers and the professional ones - there really is no comparison and the extra money is well spent IMO. Scissors are more of a moot point, but having seen the truly appalling job my daughter did on her boyfriend with kitchen scissors I thought I'd not leave it to chance!

Master
    Just realised who the OP reminds me of…

Filterlab

Lloyd Cole

Well that's massively ironic, as my surname is Cole.

Master
    Well that's massively ironic, as my surname is Cole.
    Yeah, but I don't think even you would claim to have Perfect Skin.

Master
    Yeah, but I don't think even you would claim to have Perfect Skin.
    Er no.

Never trust a man with a beard! That has my survival tip.. apologies to all who have them.

I must have a deep routed subconcious supspicion of the them, the way some people have a fear of clowns etc...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Guz View Post
    Never trust a man with a beard! That has my survival tip.. apologies to all who have them.

I must have a deep routed subconcious supspicion of the them, the way some people have a fear of clowns etc...
    So not your thing then?...

So not your thing then?...

Isn't that 100thmonkey?

Grand Master
    Isn't that 100thmonkey?
    Uncanny
    RIAC

OP, I assumed your 1st photo was post-shave. Good hair though, any relation to G Ramsay?

Kerry, I'm always impressed by your beard - mine pales in comparison (it would impede my swimming times).

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Wheres the picture of you with a beard?

Thought the same ,that’s me every weekend when I can’t be arsed

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Never been a fan of facial hair, the clean-shaven look suits me far better.

As for the OP's hair, looks like some serious scissor-work is required! Definitely a touch of the Hugh Grants going on there.

During lockdown I bought some electric clippers and started doing my own (with a little help from Mrs W). Just buzz it over every couple of weeks, no. 3 at the back and sides, no. 4 on top, takes me 20 mins, saves money and (more importantly) saves the hassle of hairdresser/barber visits. Some guys enjoy the pampering, I never did, always viewed it as a distress purchase.

Best advice for anyone going grey and /or losing it is to keep it short, also nice and cool in summer.
    Were you the one in the T-shirt dancing at the soul bar place?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    OP, I assumed your 1st photo was post-shave. Good hair though, any relation to G Ramsay?
    No relation.

First image doesn't really show the old beard well as it was all on the underside. It was there though. I kept it fairly short for all the years as it was tidier. Feels better now though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Guz View Post
    I had a similar theory for many years, only in relation to full on beards though. Damn those hipsters for confusing matters!

Master
    Okay
    Showed the Mrs and daughter the pics.
    100th monkey's a definite no from both and reckoned there would be stuff living in it.
    Both thought filterlab suited the facial hair more than without