closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: DPReview.com closing down

Blog Entries

DPReview.com closing down

This is very sad news indeed for anyone who is into their photography gear. It is (was) my goto site for many years. I guess this also means the YouTube channel is closing. Such a useful resource and I even joined a few of the forums.

https://www.dpreview.com/news

and mentioned here and many photo places:

https://photofocus.com/photography/d...arly-25-years/

Well thanks a lot Amazon - seems like the whole site is being shut down
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 21st March 2023 at 21:16.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Master
    Blog Entries
    Wow. That's a great site. Used it quite a bit when I had my camera. Gutting. Surely someone will take it over.

Master
    Interesting Martyn, just this week I have read that one of the classic motorcycle magazines is also folding. In their words the cost of high quality journalism in that field was prohibitive. Similarly the publication was 25 years old. Maybe its the reduced revenue from advertisers/ partners

Master
    Times must be tough at Amazon!

Well, what an absolute bummer

Surprised at this, I would have thought it was fairly minimal cost to keep going (not so many staff, and a large part of the content and “hit count” would be from the user-driven fora). For those few still buying gear, a reasonable property for Amazon to hang their ads and links. And Amazon certainly has enough disk space.

Shame that the site will apparently be taken down though, as itself provides something like a photograph of a time in history.

HCB would use an iPhone today though, let’s be honest, and professionals don’t have the time to waste arguing on the internet.
    Last edited by Tokyo Tokei; 22nd March 2023 at 14:24.

Certainly a shame to see it go but as per other comments the world has moved on.

As someone who enjoys photography it was a resource I used for a number of purchases and advice and it never steered me wrong.

In the past few years I've wanted to get another camera and get away from using the phone but have been shocked at the costs of a new camera and how the prices have jumped. With the capability (and simplicity) of using my phone it became very hard to justify the purchase of a camera over just using my phone (though I did still use dpreview to assist with my phone choice).

I used it as a cross reference for reviews when purchasing every single aspect of my camera gear, from a filter to a camera body and all stops between. (No pun intended.) I's a real shame to see it go.
    F.T.F.A.

F.T.F.A.

Master
    The main issue for me is that they are seemingly destroying a vast archive of historical camera information. So if you want to look up old gear as they always did a really good job on reviews it will be gone. I imagine these days it is harder to make the financials work but did they even try to sell it on?

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    The main issue for me is that they are seemingly destroying a vast archive of historical camera information. So if you want to look up old gear as they always did a really good job on reviews it will be gone. I imagine these days it is harder to make the financials work but did they even try to sell it on?
    Did the archive make you buy camera kit from Amazon? I think at most I might have bought a mini table top type tripod, perhaps screen protector or at a push a case for a compact camera. Might suit an MPB or LCE to take over the archive. I presume the YouTube channel brings in peanuts by Amazon standards, plus main 2 guys have already intimated they will do something else...perhaps back to the Camera Store TV?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Pox View Post
    Did the archive make you buy camera kit from Amazon? I think at most I might have bought a mini table top type tripod, perhaps screen protector or at a push a case for a compact camera. Might suit an MPB or LCE to take over the archive. I presume the YouTube channel brings in peanuts by Amazon standards, plus main 2 guys have already intimated they will do something else...perhaps back to the Camera Store TV?
    You can make that argument about any YT video etc. I imagine the switch to smartphone use plus the fact that the mirrorless revolution has pretty much calmed down with less new product appearing has caused a big hit. As I said it is a shame (and a salutary lesson about the fleeting nature of online content) that all this archive looks to be lost. Along with all their jobs though the two YT guys Chris and Jordan have already lined up a new gig at Petapixel. Amazon own a pretty wide and large list of companies https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ions_by_Amazon

Good news: DPReview is here to stay, via 'Gear Patrol'.

https://www.dpreview.com/site-news/8...th-gear-patrol

Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    Good news: DPReview is here to stay, via 'Gear Patrol'.

https://www.dpreview.com/site-news/8...th-gear-patrol
    Excellent news 👍