closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car insurance head scratcher

Car insurance head scratcher

Renewal came through for the wife's Honda Jazz. It didn't seem too bad, gone up from £270 to £320, but thought I'd shop around anyway.

When I get a quote with me as the proposer, but wife as owner and additional driver, and main driver of the car, quotes come out about the same £300ish.

When I get a quote with my wife as the proposer, owner, main driver and me as additional driver, quotes are up to £800ish.

All details are exactly the same except the proposer of the insurance, but my wife is still the main driver and owner, so why the huge difference in price?

I thought the main driver had to be the owner and registered keeper of the car.

In terms of pricing, car insurance never makes any sense.

Master
    Blog Entries
    No claims discount? I believe only the policyholder earns it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    No claims discount? I believe only the policyholder earns it.
    That would make sense. She only has 2 years whereas I have 20.

Still seems weird that I'd be able to use my NCB to buy cheaper insurance for her, when I already use it on another policy for my car?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    That would make sense. She only has 2 years whereas I have 20.

Still seems weird that I'd be able to use my NCB to buy cheaper insurance for her, when I already use it on another policy for my car?
    Unless it is a multi-car policy, your NCB only applies to a single vehicle. You cannot use it against both; I had to build NCB on my second car but was given a discount by speaking to them.

Cheers folks.

I spoke to the existing insurer after getting my wife to authorise me as a policy holder as this policy is in her name.

The quotes with me as the proposer obviously means she wouldn't build up NCB so we've done it as we have for the past three years, under her name.

I still don't get how Hastings will insure her with me as additional driver, for circa £300, even after taking into account my large no-fault claim from last year, but all other quotes with the same proposal were £800+.

None of it makes any sense?

Master
    Insurance is very weird.

My Porsche costs £150 ish, the Smart £170 but my previous M4 and JCW were all much more.

There is some algorithm running car types, location and risks. But it’s working for me at the moment so won’t complain!

Wife got 3 points speeding, so will soon see what effect that has over all 3 cars!

Cheers folks.

I spoke to the existing insurer after getting my wife to authorise me as a policy holder as this policy is in her name.

The quotes with me as the proposer obviously means she wouldn't build up NCB so we've done it as we have for the past three years, under her name.

I still don't get how Hastings will insure her with me as additional driver, for circa £300, even after taking into account my large no-fault claim from last year, but all other quotes with the same proposal were £800+.

I assume for the quote in your name you put in your 20yrs NC, that'll be why it's cheaper, the system doesn't know your already using it on another car, so your essentially lying. Try a quote in your name with 0 NC and see what you get

Master
    Cheers folks.

It's all nonsense really. My wife didn't have a policy in her name, so I asked our insurer to arrange an introductory discount equivalent to the NCD applied to the policy (and which she'd been a named driver on for many years). They were absolutely fine to do that and the policy is now marked as her having the same amount of NCD (over 10 years) on a policy in her name on which I'm a named driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    I assume for the quote in your name you put in your 20yrs NC, that'll be why it's cheaper, the system doesn't know your already using it on another car, so your essentially lying. Try a quote in your name with 0 NC and see what you get
    I wouldn't actually be lying, but it would be misleading, and it was unintentional as the comparison website autofilled most of the details because I do this dance every year, not that the insurer would care when it came down to it.

The other weird thing is the fact that the Jazz now sits in a locked garage rather than on the street, but this doesn't seem to make any difference to the quote?

I wouldn't actually be lying, but it would be misleading, and it was unintentional as the comparison website autofilled most of the details because I do this dance every year, not that the insurer would care when it came down to it.

The other weird thing is the fact that the Jazz now sits in a locked garage rather than on the street, but this doesn't seem to make any difference to the quote?
    I was told that it can often be cheaper to insure a car which is left on your own driveway than to put it into your garage, as statistically more people bump/scrape their cars entering/exiting the garage than leaving them on the driveway.
    Insurance is based on so many risk profile algorithms these days, so often makes no sense at all.

Master
    My work mate lives in Enfield north London, where a few years back there was a small riot which was near his postcode. His next car insurance quote was very high. So he phoned them and asked why?
    "because there was a riot nearby sir" was the reply. He pointed out that the probability of another riot in the same area would be less than a riot anywhere else in the UK as there was many £££s being spent to fix the issues that caused the riot. He spoke to a few people at the insurance company who agreed with his reasoning, but no one could change the quote and the computer said "no".

I recently changed my car and got insured. I waited for the new V5 and transferred my personal registration number and then updated my insurance. I was expecting an admin charge but surprisingly the insurance decreased and I received a refund of £12.

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    I was told that it can often be cheaper to insure a car which is left on your own driveway than to put it into your garage, as statistically more people bump/scrape their cars entering/exiting the garage than leaving them on the driveway.
    Insurance is based on so many risk profile algorithms these days, so often makes no sense at all.
    Lol. And there was me thinking it would be cheaper because it was more secure.

As I've always maintained, the car insurance business is the biggest legalised racket we have, apart from utilities privatisation and pretty much any government contract.

As I've always maintained, the car insurance business is the biggest legalised racket we have, apart from utilities privatisation and pretty much any government contract.
    I read somewhere that the risk is if a car kept in a garage catches fire, burns down the garage which spreads to the house,,,,,, and because the car started the fire, the claim is against the car insurance not the house insurance. May we’ll be nonsense, and I keep my car in the garage which seems to reduce the insurance by about 10% - but there might be some truth in it??

There are a suprisingly high number of claims that occur from accidents while trying to park in the garage or exting from the garage, and from items in the garage falling on the car.

Master
    What are your occupations?

I used to work in insurance, and have worked on risk calculation.

Quote Originally Posted by teknicolourfox View Post
    What are your occupations?

I used to work in insurance, and have worked on risk calculation.
    Well, why not give your opinion?