closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Scenic places to visit in the Alps in summer.

Master
    Blog Entries

Scenic places to visit in the Alps in summer.

Thinking of driving down in campervan.
    If you were to drive down which way and places would you visit over 2 weeks?

I adore skiing, but the only place I have been to in the summer has been Austria, I stayed in Zell am See. It was lovely, we swam, paddle boarded and Sailed on the Lake. Hiked all over the Schmittehoe mountain and swam in the mountain lakes, visited the Kremmler waterfalls, visited Kitzbuhl and other nearby towns and mountain areas. I would highly recommend it as a summer destination. (apologies if I have mis-spelled anything).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stand in admiration (as ever) at you cosmopolitan lot.

Is there a place on earth that some TZer can't comment on with authority?

When I was alive, anyone who claimed to have been as far as Torquay was suspected of lying - and I lived in Cornwall!

Master
    Slovenia. Julian Alps, Triglav National Park, Bled etc.

Lovely country, fantastic scenery, lovely people and very reasonable in cost.

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Thinking of driving down in campervan.
    If you were to drive down which way and places would you visit over 2 weeks?
    Done it, went across Dover-Calais. Through France, Luxembourg, Switzerland ending in Chamonix. Climbed for a few days then packed up and drove though the tunnel to Italy, down to the med coast through Monaco to Nice then back up though Provenance to Chamonix, few more days climbing then home! Would recommend Chamonix in the summer. You can take a cable car up to 3800m for a coffee!

Interlaken or Laterbrunen railway stations will get you up to the Jungfrau ice station at the head of the glacier.
    The last leg of the railway goes through the Eiger up to 3,000m above sea level (temp = -5oC in summer)

Then take the Lotzberg tunnel and autorail to the camp site at Tache just outside Zermatt. The Gornegrat railway has views of Monte Rossa glacier at the top, and the Matterhorn half way down.
    We got off the train and walked an easy downhill section to the next station, about 3 miles.
    Last edited by Reeny; 2nd August 2023 at 23:05. Reason: Typos via phone keyboard

When we visited Wengen some years ago, we said we'd come back to the area in the summer.

Definitely, the most beautiful mountain scenery we'd seen.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    When we visited Wengen some years ago, we said we'd come back to the area in the summer.

M
    This is a fine place to be. Valley of a thousand waterfalls. It is stunning.

Blog Entries
    South of Lucerne: Mount Pilatus.

Start in Hergiswill, take the train to Alpnachstadt (10 mins), from there, take the cogwheel train to mount Pilatus, the steepest cogwheel train in the world (48% gradient). Go up to the top of Mount Pilatus (2106m). Proper restaurant there. You can hike from there, or do a tour on foot. Or, you take the cable car down to Kiens/Lucerne. Awesome views. From there, take the bus to the shores of the lake (Chapel Bridge). Take the (classic) ferry back to Hergiswill. This will take you a whole day. (We stayed in Hergiswill for two nights on our way to Italy - In hindsight a good starting point for the daytrip: parking in Alpnachstadt is expensive; in Hergiswill it was f.o.c.

It's incredible to use so many types of transport in one day. And to absorb so many views within a 10km radius from where you started.

And, as you can imagine, everything goes like a Swiss watch, is well-maintained etc. Fun thing is: when we didi this in 2015, we were able to di this day with only one ticket from the Swiss Railroad Company. But, as usual: Swiss tickets etc are eyewatering expensive.

Last edited by thieuster; 3rd August 2023 at 08:52.

Grindlewald also stunning. Here is my 90 at the base of the Eiger North Face…

Blog Entries
    My wife’s & her brother’s annual skiing destination every January.

We've driven to the Alps a few times and the drive itself is effortless. To be honest, the worst bit of the drive is Kent. It's amazing how you can drive for 10 hours through France and not see a single cone and yet within seconds of returning to the UK off the Eurotunnel there's miles of them.

Definitely get yourself a toll tag thing... (Emovis I think they're called). Saves dealing with the toll barriers and it's all paid electronically.

We had a week in Chamonix earlier in the summer and it was lovely. Been there countless times to ski but it's a completely different experience (obviously) in the summer. Loads of walking, mountain biking, glaciers, shopping (it's a proper town unlike most ski resorts) and then a short trip through the tunnel and you're in Italy.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Done it, went across Dover-Calais. Through France, Luxembourg, Switzerland ending in Chamonix. Climbed for a few days then packed up and drove though the tunnel to Italy, down to the med coast through Monaco to Nice then back up though Provenance to Chamonix, few more days climbing then home! Would recommend Chamonix in the summer. You can take a cable car up to 3800m for a coffee!
    That Chamonix looks like a must do. Any reason you went Luxembourg way? Didn't know whether to go Belgium Germany route to not have to pay the toll roads in France.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
    Interlaken or Laterbrunen railway stations will get you up to the Jungfrau ice station at the head of the glacier.
    The last leg of the railway goes through the Eiger up to 3,000m above sea level (temp = -5oC in summer)

Then take the Lotzberg tunnel and autorail to the camp site at Tache just outside Zermatt. The Gornegrat railway has views of Monte Rossa glacier at the top, and the Matterhorn half way down.
    We got off the train and walked an easy downhill section to the next station, about 3 miles.
    Nice one. I've contacted that camp site and will be stopping there at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

M
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    South of Lucerne: Mount Pilatus.

Start in Hergiswill, take the train to Alpnachstadt (10 mins), from there, take the cogwheel train to mount Pilatus, the steepest cogwheel train in the world (48% gradient). Go up to the top of Mount Pilatus (2106m). Proper restaurant there. You can hike from there, or do a tour on foot. Or, you take the cable car down to Kiens/Lucerne. Awesome views. From there, take the bus to the shores of the lake (Chapel Bridge). Take the (classic) ferry back to Hergiswill. This will take you a whole day. (We stayed in Hergiswill for two nights on our way to Italy - In hindsight a good starting point for the daytrip: parking in Alpnachstadt is expensive; in Hergiswill it was f.o.c.

It's incredible to use so many types of transport in one day. And to absorb so many views within a 10km radius from where you started.

And, as you can imagine, everything goes like a Swiss watch, is well-maintained etc. Fun thing is: when we didi this in 2015, we were able to di this day with only one ticket from the Swiss Railroad Company. But, as usual: Swiss tickets etc are eyewatering expensive.

That all looks absolutely awesome. How eye watering are we talking? The one thing we don't have is a big budget.

Seems most of the beautiful places are in Switzerland at the moment.

That Chamonix looks like a must do. Any reason you went Luxembourg way? Didn't know whether to go Belgium Germany route to not have to pay the toll roads in France.
    Purely to tick off as many countries in a single day as possible 🤣

Master
    I've spent a number of summers in Nendaz: https://www.nendaz.ch/en/ Beautiful setting, fantastic hiking and easy enough to get to from Geneva, but like everything in Switzerland painfully expensive.

Chamonix - see the Mer de Glase before it disappears?

Quote Originally Posted by josep View Post
    Chamonix - see the Mer de Glase before it disappears?
    Oh - and a trip up the Agillle du Midi is spectacular…

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Slovenia. Julian Alps, Triglav National Park, Bled etc.

Lovely country, fantastic scenery, lovely people and very reasonable in cost.
    preach it!

Quote Originally Posted by josep View Post
    Oh - and a trip up the Agillle du Midi is spectacular…
    Climbed the Midi Arête back in the day…not sure how I managed to not kill myself!! Was fun climbing over the railing onto the viewing platform with all the tourists looking on!

Craftsman

The Eiger

Stayed in a hostel in Grindlewald with my family, my wife and youngest took the train to Kleine Scheidegg whilst my oldest and I walked below the north face of the Eiger .... the Eiger Sanction hotel was closed for refurb but apparently full of Clint Eastwood pictures and an amazing place......as a mountaineering geek anyway :)

Blog Entries

That all looks absolutely awesome. How eye watering are we talking? The one thing we don't have is a big budget.

Seems most of the beautiful places are in Switzerland at the moment.
    This might help. From the Pilatus.ch website:

Check if this is with/without a tourist reduction pass or something like that

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just to update and say Thanks to all suggestions here.

We had an amazing 3 weeks. Stopped in Luxembourg for a night. Down the Strasbourg for a night. Then 3 days at Lucerne and went up Pilatus. Over the gotthard pass to Italy. (Had real bad brake fade on the way down) stayed at cannabio 3 nights, then onto the next lake for 4 nights at dongo. Back into Switzerland for 2 nights at the campsite at Randa next to Zermatt.
    Through the mountain on the car train to Interlaken and stopped at a Dutch couples swiss farm for 2 nights. Back up to Germany for a night, then Luxembourg again and last night in calais.
    Loved every minute of it and every place was beautiful. The weather helped as it was in the 30s most days.