closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Plastic Shed Advice

Plastic Shed Advice

Due to an impending move I'm looking to get a shed for my bike and a lawnmower.

Anyone had any experience of plastic sheds. Needs to be about 6x4 or 6x5.

Seen a Keter one and looks ok. Any other good makes?

Random I know.

Regards

Ben

I'd be interested in any answers to this too. Am after the same. Also heard a lot about Ketter.

Blog Entries
    Boringly enough me too...

http://www.gardenstreet.co.uk/palram...shed-6x5-p4202

This looked like good value

Couple years ago bought a 6'x4' Palram off eBay for £300 notes delivered, somewhat of bargain compared to Keter and the Costco ones. Seems Israel has quite the plastics industry, Palram and Keter are both from there.

They come kinda flimsy flat packed, but once slotted together with the supports and roof on it all makes sense, absolutely no complaints on quality or stability. Built in an afternoon, not too much swearing involved. Only thing of note is they may need anchored, with little inherent weight compared to wood they can shift in strong winds if there's not much stored inside as ballast!

One of my customers had to return 3 keter sheds due to leaks, it was more of a garden tool sized shed than 6x4 but I assume the joining areas are similar. The leak was in the same place on all 3 I seem to remember condensation being a problem too.In the end I made one for her in timber

Hello

Thanks for the responses so far. The Keter one I looked at today had vents so don't think condensation will be an issue.

Regards

Ben

Master
    Recently bought a keter large container for all the garden cushions, etc. Had a lot of good reviews from mates prior to purchase so I'm hoping it will deliver - particularly on being water tight!

Yes, we have one of the Keter 6x4 ones to store the mower and garden tools in.

They are excellent. Zero maintenance, very quick and easy to put together, and properly waterproof.

I fully recommend them.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Yes, we have one of the Keter 6x4 ones to store the mower and garden tools in.

They are excellent. Zero maintenance, very quick and easy to put together, and properly waterproof.

I fully recommend them.
    Yep. Me too except mine's a 10x8. A jet wash down once a year and that's about it. I got mine from Screwfix and it took an afternoon to assemble. It also has a full length skylight and a couple of side windows. They seem pretty good to me.

Blog Entries
    Go Keter I bought a new one last week to replace an old shed that was damaged in the storms it sits along side another Keter that we have also had a number of years and we use as a wood store there has been no sign of water invasion.
    During the high winds last November the wood store suffered damage to its hinges phoned Keter in Birmingham to inquire on replacement and pricing and was told replacements will be in the post FOC they are a decent Company.

Master
    Got a 10x8 Lifetime (I think, was from Costco) last month.
    No issues with it as yet - its not fallen down or leaked so cant say f. Cant say fai. Cant say fair

I cant say fairer than that. (c) Viz, around 1991

Hello

Thanks all.

Regards

Ben

Do/can rats eat plastic sheds?

We live out in the wilds and have a persistent problem with rodents (nearby houses keep rabbits, livestock, etc.). My wooden shed is constantly under attack from rats and mice gnawing their way in. Tried long-term poisoning but I assume that either it's not effective, or new families of rodents are periodically moving in.

Currently my (oldish) wooden shed looks like something out of a shanty town as I have to patch up the holes every few months .

So I'm looking to replace with either a metal or plastic shed - if plastic is rat-proof.

Eat, no. Chew, yes.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Quote Originally Posted by GIB984 View Post
    Recently bought a keter large container for all the garden cushions, etc. Had a lot of good reviews from mates prior to purchase so I'm hoping it will deliver - particularly on being water tight!
    Make sure you lock it with something - I kept finding mine open and the wind must blow it open so need to put something through the little clasp to keep it closed.

My neighbour has one (also Costco) and swears by it. I thought they're rather expensive, but the most notable 'issue' is chose the colour carefully as they do seem to fade a lot in direct sunlight and of course unlike wooden sheds can't have a coat of wood treatment ever couple of years and tend to look a bit 'washed out' if darker to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by afcneal View Post
    My neighbour has one (also Costco) and swears by it. I thought they're rather expensive, but the most notable 'issue' is chose the colour carefully as they do seem to fade a lot in direct sunlight and of course unlike wooden sheds can't have a coat of wood treatment ever couple of years and tend to look a bit 'washed out' if darker to start with.

I read somewhere you can get paintable ones.

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebas...7-x-7ft-357829

I have had a keter for a few years, no problems and no need to paint - would recommend.

I must be out of step here, having had a plastic shed for four years I’m getting rid of it due to the condensation: dripping wet throughout the winter months and only beaten in this respect by a metal shed we inherited with the property. :-(

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Just get a keter. Every part and accessory is easily available and videos everywhere how to build and strip them etc.

Thread revival - better half working today and I’m still on holiday (probably first time this year that I’m at home and she’s at work !!) so I’ve been left with a list of some ‘jobs’

One job is to order a shed and she wants a plastic one and Keter seems to keep cropping up

Any recent experiences / tips on where to purchase ?

Bought couple of Keter ones recently - cheapest place by far was amazon when Black Friday/'Deal of the Day' etc.

Still under tarpaulin waiting to be built though...

When buying a garden shed, how long do you expect it to last?
    If the wind should catch the open door and damage a hinge, how do you go about repairing it?

Craftsman
    I've helped to erect a Keter Fusion, seemed to be quite well made with solid walls.
    Currently have a Keter storage box in my garden but the screws for the lid hinge pulled through the plastic reasonably quickly so have ordered a wooden shed to replace it. Don't think I'll bother with plastic ones again.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Go wood, can be repaired if required, plastic fades and will look tatty.

UV protection spray might help prevent fading.

Master
    I put a Keter Fusion in our garden a couple of years ago.

Installation was straightforward (although, as always, a decent base makes it all that much easier), and it’s good quality. No leaks and so far, no fading. No painting, no roofing felt, no maintenance...

Edit - got it from Costco. At the time, they were cheapest by far.
    Last edited by downer; 31st December 2018 at 11:06. Reason: added info

I bought one of these in the summer, and it's been great. No leaks, easy to assemble and holds quite a bit.
    https://www.diy.com/departments/stor.../653851_BQ.prd

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    I put a Keter Fusion in our garden a couple of years ago.

Installation was straightforward (although, as always, a decent base makes it all that much easier), and it’s good quality. No leaks and so far, no fading. No painting, no roofing felt, no maintenance...

Edit - got it from Costco. At the time, they were cheapest by far.
    Thanks for all the feedback. Measured up and going for an 8x6 - off to Costco to see if they have any on display.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Before buying anything from Keter have a look at the Suncast range. The Keter storage boxes from the likes of B&Q are poor compared to the equivalents from Suncast, although they are slightly more expensive.

Also try your local garden center as the bigger ones often have a range of storage & sheds on display & they may be discounting the display models ready for the new range. I got 30% off & after a quick clean it was very acceptable.

Sheds

I purchased the Keter Oakland this summer its a great shed very easy to put together (I managed it myself) double doors watertight the only thing is put a good base down as the floor will flex it you put it on a soft uneven base it looks good too Cosco sell it.
    Squashy1

Cheap Keter Shed on Ebay

My Brother-in-law saw mine and wanted one the same and bought from this guy on eBay it comes unboxed so you need a van I thought it might be risky but he was given extra pieces put it up and it was all there nothing missing and cheap.PLUS THERE IS A 10% OFF CODE FOR EBAY TODAY I THINK POWPOW10
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KETER-OAK...dR7:rk:13:pf:0
    Last edited by squashy1; 31st December 2018 at 13:06.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by domwells View Post
    Currently have a Keter storage box in my garden but the screws for the lid hinge pulled through the plastic reasonably quickly so have ordered a wooden shed to replace it. Don't think I'll bother with plastic ones again.
    On mine I was able to repair the lid hinges using the Unibond Power Putty. A year on, it is still OK.

Craftsman
    Reviving an old thread…

We’re about to have some work done in the garden and most likely will purchase a Keter shed as well. However, we need to get some concrete foundation laid but is it advisable to have the foundation oversize for the footprint of the Keter shed or undersize so rainwater would drip onto the ground instead of the concrete.

The reason I ask is because the Keter website gives “minimum” foundation size, which is smaller than the shed itself so I’d be keen to learn what others have done in this situation.

All comments and feedback gratefully received, as always.

We have a 20x8 I think, Lifetime, it’s really good, only down side is it looks like a dolls house, but that’s ok it’s hidden behind a large bush

I’ve got a couple of these metal ones for my bikes and stuff great quality

Craftsman
    Thanks for the comments so far but I’d really like to know about use of foundations please with plastic shed. Do people have the foundation the same size or oversize or undersized?

Does the affect the anchor bolts/fixings etc?

Thanks

Master
    We have ours on concrete slabs. Overall the slabs are larger than the shed. It’s been installed for more than 6 years with no issues.

I must admit, although I installed it, I can’t quite remember how I anchored it…

Plastic Shed Advice

I put ours on 900x600x 50 mm paving slabs, it’s a heavy job, I went one slab wider to make a path around it,

Here is the view from the inside, it has racking in it now

Only shot of the outside
    Last edited by adrianw; 14th August 2023 at 22:29.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    We have ours on concrete slabs. Overall the slabs are larger than the shed. It’s been installed for more than 6 years with no issues.

I must admit, although I installed it, I can’t quite remember how I anchored it…

Okay, thank you and good to know your base is oversized.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I put ours on 900x600x 50 mm paving slabs, it’s a heavy job, I went one slab wider to make a path around it,

Here is the view from the inside, it has racking in it now

Only shot of the outside
    Thank you and it’s very neatly organised in that photo!

If yours is a Keter one, do the internal walls come with predrilled holes for shelving as that’s something I’m going to need to sort later?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike2500 View Post
    Thank you and it’s very neatly organised in that photo!

If yours is a Keter one, do the internal walls come with predrilled holes for shelving as that’s something I’m going to need to sort later?

It’s a Lifetime shed, it comes with the shelves you can see in the picture, as it’s plastic I used freestanding shelving

Not sure how helpful but Costco sell the Lifetime sheds including delivery and installation. Probably not cheap but good to know they offer it.

I genuinely don't get it.
    Why the hell would anyone choose a plastic shed over a wooden one? Yes the wooden one will need repainting every ten years. But they'll have the same 20 - 30 year useful lifespan, after which the wooden shed can be allowed to biodegrade, something the palstic shed will never properly do.
    It's like people are deliberately choosing the worst option for the planet. Is it laziness, not thinking, not caring, or something else?

Yeah, I know. I'm not going to be popular saying ^that^.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    I genuinely don't get it.
    Why the hell would anyone choose a plastic shed over a wooden one? Yes the wooden one will need repainting every ten years. But they'll have the same 20 - 30 year useful lifespan, after which the wooden shed can be allowed to biodegrade, something the palstic shed will never properly do.
    It's like people are deliberately choosing the worst option for the planet. Is it laziness, not thinking, not caring, or something else?

Yeah, I know. I'm not going to be popular saying ^that^.
    This is what Lifetime say

https://www.lifetime.com/company/corporatecitizenship

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Well that was daft of me. Not sure why I didn't think of checking in with the manufacturer of plastic sheds for an impartial take on the environmental impact of plastic sheds before I posted!
    :D

Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    Well that was daft of me. Not sure why I didn't think of checking in with the manufacturer of plastic sheds for an impartial take on the environmental impact of plastic sheds before I posted!
    :D
    I read a bit and glazed over thinking who writes this rubbish

We have the 12x8 lifetime shed and it's been very good for about 2.5 years. Solidly built (was a bit challenging to put together single-handedly!) and doesn't leak or suffer from condensation.

We had a concrete base put down six inches wider than the shed in all directions and it's fine. No flooding or problems with water.

Craftsman
    Thanks everyone - I’ve just ordered a Keter Darwin 6 x 8 and now awaiting delivery date.
    We’re having some other work done in the garden requiring concrete bases so the company will add a concrete foundation as per Keter’s required size so should hopefully be okay.