closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: First ever watch - working again

Master

First ever watch - working again

My first ever watch was a Hopalong Cassidy. I must’ve been around six or maybe seven when it was given to me. I think I probably wore it until I was early teens perhaps. I’m 61 now.

I hadn’t seen it for decades until my Mum found it at her house and gave it me back. It didn’t work. I wound it up and it appeared to be completely dead.

I was sorting through some stuff yesterday evening and it fell on the floor, it must have ended up amongst some paperwork so I didn’t see it. Anyway I set the time, as you do, checked to see if would wind - it wouldn’t as it must’ve still been wound from the previous attempt. So I left it on my desk and carried on with what I was doing.

Tonight I noticed the time on it was 8.20 when it actually was 8.20. I thought it can’t be. So I did something for ten minutes and sure enough it’s damned well running. Gobsmacked!!

I’m thinking it really ought to be serviced. I don’t think it has ever been opened since it was new. And have no idea where to take it / send it.

I’m going to see how long it runs before stopping and hopefully see how slow it is tomorrow evening. It’s lost a minute or so in the last couple of hours.

BB58 for scale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

that's wonderful. I can't match that but after clearing out the loft at Dad's house this year (he passed away in March) I found the receipt from my first watch, a Timex Boys military. Clearly the start of my watch obsession. I recall going into town with mum to buy it for my 9th birthday in '71.
    They are still for sale bizarrely enough, called a Timex Sprite on Etsy (borrowed pic):

Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 6th September 2023 at 05:52.

Craftsman
    I have a Bravingtons Renown that my Dad bought for me when I passed my 11+ exam. I had it serviced by the Watchbloke, it’s now 60 years old. Cheers, JohnB4

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    My first ever watch was a Hopalong Cassidy. I must’ve been around six or maybe seven when it was given to me. I think I probably wore it until I was early teens perhaps. I’m 61 now.

I’m thinking it really ought to be serviced. I don’t think it has ever been opened since it was new. And have no idea where to take it / send it.

I’m going to see how long it runs before stopping and hopefully see how slow it is tomorrow evening. It’s lost a minute or so in the last couple of hours.

I wouldn't worry if it runs slow; it will just be in limp mode.

Very cool!

Master
    Thanks for the comments. Limp mode

It ran for 25 hours and was only a couple of minutes slow. So I guess a service is in order. Pretty bloody good for something that I’m confident hasn’t been serviced for more than 50 years.

Suggestions of where to send it?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    Hi,

that's wonderful. I can't match that but after clearing out the loft at Dad's house this year (he passed away in March) I found the receipt from my first watch, a Timex Boys military. Clearly the start of my watch obsession. I recall going into town with mum to buy it for my 9th birthday in '71.
    They are still for sale bizarrely enough, called a Timex Sprite on Etsy (borrowed pic):

I’m reasonably sure I had one of these as my second watch. I have no recollection of what happened to it though. Possibly thrown away. I am sure whatever was second was replaced by a Timex Divers watch before it was replaced by a number of Casio LCD watches