closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Parcel lost during shipping (Non TZ-UK related); what's reasonable

Blog Entries

Parcel lost during shipping (Non TZ-UK related); what's reasonable

Frist and foremost: the story is NOT about a TZ-UK member. I only post this to test the water about what's a reasonable solution. And it's not about insane amounts of money.

First the story.

I found a pre-owned item for my Saab 96 in Sweden. The seller and I agreed a price and the shipping costs. I paid him (Paypal) and he took the parcel to a PostNord office and left it there, complete with a track and trace code. Things went smooth for a few days/online updates: the parcel left the shop, then was shipped to Växjö where it never left the warehouse. Last update is August 28.

Last week I called PostNord in Sweden and the lady agreed that something had gone wrong. It was checked out in Växjö on its way to Malmö but it was not checked in there. She told me that I should contact the seller so that he could file a complaint/whereabout form. Which he did, last Tuesday (Sept 5).

Nothing has happened since. And he's also not aware of any updates.

Big chance that the parcel is gone.

What's reasonable?

Until now, the seller has been an A+ guy. And I have no reason to expect problems. But when it comes to money and returning money, things can change quickly, I suppose. Hence my question: what's reasonable. The content of the parcel was about 55GBP, shipment about 25GBP (not a lightweight item). I paid 80 GBP for it.

As far as I can see, the only reasonable outcome is for the seller to refund you, including shipping costs, then claim from the postal company.

He might want to wait a couple of weeks first to make sure it really is lost and not just delayed? If he refuses to refund after an agreed period then make a PayPal claim.

Blog Entries
    Thanks! I’m not in a hurry. Waiting a few weeks is no problem. And the guy was/is 100% helpful.

Craftsman

Something similar happened to me,

In this case it was a watch for wich I paid 500EURO by banktransfer to a guy in Germany. Like you I followed tracking of the Parcel but it didn't seem to be moving. Seller finally contacted DHL. More then a week had passed. I have seen it before, no update and then a sudden delivery but in this case nothing. Luckily the watch was insured and the seller filed a claim. He was very helpful but apparently preffered to refund me after receiving the money back from the insurance claim. Almost a month passed and I politely asked him to refund me as I explained he knew I had not received the watch, it was clear he would receive a refund and I wasn't responsible of anything and should not have to be waiting for the insurance to pay him to get my money back. He honoured my request and refunded me. Then 2 days later my wife calls me at work saying a package arrived from Germany and that it was the watch I was waiting for. This was 2 days after the seller had refunded me and almost a month after the purchase. I got home in the evening, inspected the watch and send a message to the seller telling him I unexpectedly had received the watch and that I would be transferring him the payment for the watch once again..I was quite happy with the outcome as I really liked the watch.

Hope it works out for you as well.
    Best regards,
    Guillermo

A few weeks ago I sold an exhaust on eBay which didn’t arrive with the buyer. Evri looked but couldn’t find it so I refunded the buyer.

I once sent a cylinder head to NI which didn’t turn up so I refunded the buyer. The item turned up about three months later.

In this case, the buyer should refund your money.

Seller is responsible for shipping. They should refund you £80 and file a claim with the post service.

If the seller decides to not honour their obligations, then your outcome is likely to depend on how you paid. If you paid PayPal F&F then you are probably out of luck. If you paid PayPal G&S it'll be easy to reclaim your funds as the tracking will show it never arrived to you.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by torromoto View Post
    In this case it was a watch for wich I paid 500EURO by banktransfer to a guy in Germany. Like you I followed tracking of the Parcel but it didn't seem to be moving. Seller finally contacted DHL. More then a week had passed. I have seen it before, no update and then a sudden delivery but in this case nothing. Luckily the watch was insured and the seller filed a claim. He was very helpful but apparently preffered to refund me after receiving the money back from the insurance claim. Almost a month passed and I politely asked him to refund me as I explained he knew I had not received the watch, it was clear he would receive a refund and I wasn't responsible of anything and should not have to be waiting for the insurance to pay him to get my money back. He honoured my request and refunded me. Then 2 days later my wife calls me at work saying a package arrived from Germany and that it was the watch I was waiting for. This was 2 days after the seller had refunded me and almost a month after the purchase. I got home in the evening, inspected the watch and send a message to the seller telling him I unexpectedly had received the watch and that I would be transferring him the payment for the watch once again..I was quite happy with the outcome as I really liked the watch.

Hope it works out for you as well.
    Best regards,
    Guillermo

Its this that makes the sellers nervous refunding before the case is settled. If as a seller you refund too quickly then the item is delivered you may be left out of pocket, praying that the buyer is as honest as you.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob s View Post
    Its this that makes the sellers nervous refunding before the case is settled. If as a seller you refund too quickly then the item is delivered you may be left out of pocket, praying that the buyer is as honest as you.
    This depends on the service used and country. In the UK something over 10 days late (unless there's some kind of known problem at the carrier such as strikes etc) is highly unlikely to arrive. Sending to Spain via Royal Mail/Correos this would be quite a common delay.

Blog Entries
    Thanks again to all!

The seller/shipper has indeed contacted PostNord and they've sent him a confirmation email that they will get into it - but that it can take up to 60 days... He sent me a copy of the email he had received from them. I'll just wait what happens.

As I wrote earlier: I'm not in a hurry so I don't mind that it will take a while; perhaps it will re-surface.