closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Want to slim down your wallet?

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    See #828 above. Bellroy card pocket.
    Thanks, that's what I use for my main wallet. I'm looking for something even slimmer just for my work pass, coffee loyalty card, and sometimes a car parking ticket. Most days I don't bring my wallet to work, but I hate wearing my work pass on a neck lanyard so I want something simple and pocket friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    Thanks, that's what I use for my main wallet. I'm looking for something even slimmer just for my work pass, coffee loyalty card, and sometimes a car parking ticket. Most days I don't bring my wallet to work, but I hate wearing my work pass on a neck lanyard so I want something simple and pocket friendly.
    I'd recommend having a look at the Maxpedition Micro Wallet.
    Also the Herschel Charlie Wallet.
    The Bellroy card sleeve wallet.

All of which are small, slim and no RFID :)

D

Craftsman
    I’ve used the Carl Friedrik Hatton for a number of years now. You might be able to squeeze in an air tag in the middle pocket. I like the fact you get a life time warranty with Carl Friedrik. However their prices have sky rocketed. It was £45 when I bought mine, it’s an eye watering £85 now.

https://www.carlfriedrik.com/int/pro...her-cardholder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    For that use I have one of these:

https://www.paulsmith.com/uk/black-a...it-card-holder

But you mentioned an AirTag and that wouldn't fit ...

Craft & Lore Port Wallet

With another month almost over, it’s time to post my review of this month’s carry and decide on my May wallet.

This month I’ve been carrying the Craft & Lore Port Wallet, which as you can see, is a simple, leather card wallet, hand-made in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, just over the border from Washington State. I have several of their wallets but have only carried this one intermittently. I enjoyed doing so this month and there are only a couple of cons to mention.

I bought the Port Wallet in one of my favourite leathers; natural coloured, Horween Chromexcel. Craft & Lore offer their range in many different leathers and occasionally have limited runs in special colours and premium leathers such as Shell Cordovan. Mine cost $70 plus shipping from Idaho. I remember postage being reasonable and delivery to Edinburgh was very fast.

The design is delightfully simple, they describe it as original, true but it’s not unique. One piece of leather is spiralled around itself two and a half times and stitched along the bottom and the side to close the wallet. The saddle stitching is done by hand, resilient, reinforced and I believe uses waxed tiger thread. It’s not the most elegant in the world but it’s going to last for ages.

The spiral provides four pockets or slots, two on the front, one at the rear and a larger central one. They recommend using the outer pockets for frequently used cards and folded cash, with the central pocket for infrequently used cards.

The capacity is not vast, the wallet is properly minimalist, at only 10cm tall and 6cm wide. I carry a couple of folded notes and 5 cards. In the lower front pocket go my notes, in the upper front is a loyalty card, I have my debit card in the rear slot and carry a credit card, a Tile tracker and another loyalty card in the main pocket. They say the Port can carry 8 - 10 cards. While I’m sure you could do that, it would take time for the leather to stretch to accommodate such a load and once it had done so, if you ever reduced the contents you’d have loose leather.

The Chromexcel is fantastic. It has great colour, pull-up and smell when new. It’s prone to scratches and scuffing but that adds to its wabi. It’s incredibly tactile and smooth, and can take the place of a worry stone, as you can easily flip it around in the palm of your hand. It is small enough to carry it in any pocket you want. I appreciate the lack of branding, being limited to the embossed woodman’s axe.

There are a few cons.

The cards in the side pockets are somewhat exposed. I noticed my Morrison’s card in the front pocket had begun to delaminate, as it scuffed up against the penknife I keep in the same pocket. That may be more a reflection of the quality of the card but it happened.

I had to glue down the bottom right hand corner of the leather which had become bent upwards from wear in my pocket. I’ve seen videos of them making the wallet, and they only hammer down the outside of the stitching. It was a minor annoyance, quickly resolved by the application of a smear of Pritt Stick.

There’s no place for coins, except your pockets. ☺ You have to fold your notes if you want to carry cash and some people don’t like having theirs on display. You could place notes in the central pocket but that would exacerbate the main issue I have with this wallet which is extracting cards from the main pocket. Even with only two cards and a tracker (which is 1.5 cards wide) it’s not easy to grab cards for extraction. I found squeezing the sides of the wallet to widen the opening was the best method. If you had more cards in there, it would be even tougher.

Nonetheless, overall I really like it and enjoyed carrying it. The Port Wallet is by far and away Craft & Lore’s best seller and I can see why.

Next month will be a change to an all metal wallet, the Scudo Switch, which fellow member NigeG very kindly brought back from the USA.

Master
    I have much the same design of wallet, made by corrigia, a strap maker that I have used quite a few times. It is a great design, I would not want to use any other now.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Master
    I've never liked a large wallet. Too much bulk in one's pocket.

In lockdown I started looking at some leatherwork crafting channels on YouTube.

This is a design I came up with and enjoy making far family and friends. Holds 3 cards and a couple of folded notes which is all I need.

I find saddle stitching particularly satisfying.

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post
    I've never liked a large wallet. Too much bulk in one's pocket.

In lockdown I started looking at some leatherwork crafting channels on YouTube.

This is a design I came up with and enjoy making far family and friends. Holds 3 cards and a couple of folded notes which is all I need.

I find saddle stitching particularly satisfying.

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk
    Very cool that you can make that yourself.
    Did you have prior leather working skills/experience or did you just learn during lockdown?
    You could potentially make a TZ version…

Master
    No prior skills.

I have bought several tools, but they're not very expensive.

I do find it incredibly satisfying.

Not sure about a TZ version!

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Hocuspocus - very nice work. Congratulations.

I've been tempted to build my own, Popov Leather used to make kits where "all" you needed to do was sand and glue pre-cut leather pieces and then saddle stitch them together. If you're of a certain age, you'll remember the Generation Game where contestants were asked to replicate a skill they had been shown by an expert, with usually disastrous results, despite the expert making it look really easy. That would be me, I'd stitch my fingers to the leather and then glue all the pockets shut. :)

Master
    No prior skills.

Oh you should definitely make a version available here. I’m sure you’d get some takers.

No prior skills.

Great work on the wallet.
    I very briefly thought about having a crack too, but I soon saw why smaller makers charge what they do - sheet leather costs a heck of a lot more than I anticipated! I did manage to snaffle an old handbag that I intended to repurpose into a wallet, but have yet to do so. I need to just try it and get a move on!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I very briefly thought about having a crack too, but I soon saw why smaller makers charge what they do - sheet leather costs a heck of a lot more than I anticipated! I did manage to snaffle an old handbag that I intended to repurpose into a wallet, but have yet to do so. I need to just try it and get a move on!
    Interesting. How did your cost breakdown look?
    Tempted to have a go but having an idea of costs would be useful.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have recently changed my card pocked for the all weather version.

It is a whisker larger but in time when it softens up with use I think it will be smaller.

The internal pockets are more flexible and there is a 3rd one for the key. I have cut the key loop out and have put two cards in that pocket. Then my other 3 cards can go in the pocket next to it meaning the 5 cards are now all stacked together minimising thinkness.

In the other pocket I have a knife, AirTag and cash which I hope will end up moulding the wallet to their shape.

The zip is stiffer than the card pocket but I don't find that an issue.

Last edited by Montello; 28th April 2023 at 11:57.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Interesting. How did your cost breakdown look?
    Tempted to have a go but having an idea of costs would be useful.
    I didn't save the breakdown, but you can go cheap or sky high on the leather itself if you're not fussed about it being faux, or if it's not veg tanned etc. The tools again you can buy cheap online or buy quality for more, with good deals sometimes coming up on second hand tools.

It was a case, once again, of me pricing myself out of it by attempting the 'buy once buy right' approach. Really what I should've done, and need to do, is just try it with the old handbag I have and some el cheapo tools. Nothing to lose by doing that.

Master
    I didn't save the breakdown, but you can go cheap or sky high on the leather itself if you're not fussed about it being faux, or if it's not veg tanned etc. The tools again you can buy cheap online or buy quality for more, with good deals sometimes coming up on second hand tools.

It was a case, once again, of me pricing myself out of it by attempting the 'buy once buy right' approach. Really what I should've done, and need to do, is just try it with the old handbag I have and some el cheapo tools. Nothing to lose by doing that.
    I hear you! I too often end up looking at the cheaper tools and then slowly creeping up the price and quality level until it becomes too much and then I do nothing.

Blog Entries
    Charity shops can be a great source of leather bags etc. for materials. Not good if you need veg tanned leather but ok for some projects.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

I've used a Swanfield from Cark Friedrik for about 4 years now. Every time I've tried something different, I quickly come back to it. Slim, front pocket friendly, has that rich leather smell and looks better now after 4 years of wear then it did new IMO. https://www.carlfriedrik.com/int/pro...?colour=cognac

A few days back they launched a collab with Secrid which looks excellent too. Pricey at £125, but I suspect it'll be worth it. Tempted to give it a go and see how it holds up against the Swanfield. My only gripe is the lever looks a bit plasticky. https://www.carlfriedrik.com/int/pag...-carl-friedrik

Last edited by M1011; 28th April 2023 at 17:50.

M1011, thanks for showing those Carl Friedriks wallet the Swanfield is a nice looker.

Yes the Secrid tie in is pricey though, being "just" a leather sleeve over a standard Secrid box wallet. Although I do like the external money slot, which is good option. The internal plastic money folding sleeve is not the best part of an ordinary Secrid.

Don't worry about the card mechanism, it works really well and feels good in hand. Secrid are excellent wallets, and cheaper under their own label. Definitely worth a try. You could get two for the price of one CF wallet.

Three members reporting issues with Secrid wallets in this thread, and at least two have lost cards as a result.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...d-wallet-issue

There's a repair but it seems far from ideal in something marketed as 'Cardprotector'.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Blog Entries
    Nope, traditional leather wallet in my back pocket works fine. A bit bulky? Yep, but i think people just think I’ve got an ass like a bag of lump hammers.

I'm still using these classic Troves which have just seen their sixth birthday. Meet my needs, still going strong and nothing falls out. If it ain't broke, etc.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...=1#post4319054
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

I still love my I-CLIP...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Three members reporting issues with Secrid wallets in this thread, and at least two have lost cards as a result.

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...d-wallet-issue

There's a repair but it seems far from ideal in something marketed as 'Cardprotector'.
    Yea that thread just put my thoughts from a few posts up about the Carl Friedrik x Secrid collab to rest. Will stick with the Swanfield, tried and tested.

I also saw the Secrid complaints thread. I've not experienced any of the issues mentioned in over five years of off and on use with mine.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Master
    Blog Entries
    After reading this thread I bought a Bellroy Note Sleeve Wallet.

Theres a lot of Bellroy stuff ex display at good prices on ebay so worth seeing how I like it.

I think if the wallet is to small theres a good chance of losing it,this seems a good middle ground.

Though mostly cashless nowadays there are still places that are cash ownly so I wanted a section for notes.

I thought folding UK money woulod become a pain so decided after this video to make my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    After reading this thread I bought a Bellroy Note Sleeve Wallet.

Theres a lot of Bellroy stuff ex display at good prices on ebay so worth seeing how I like it.
    I think if the wallet is to small theres a good chance of losing it,this seems a good middle ground.
    Though mostly cashless nowadays there are still places that are cash ownly so I wanted a section for notes.
    I thought folding UK money woulod become a pain so decided after this video to make my choice.
    It's an excellent wallet and after two weeks with my Scudo wallet, a review will follow, I've switched back to the Note Sleeve. It's great for not folding notes, has enough slots for my cards, can even hold some coins and folds up to be slim and comparatively small.
    David

I've been using my Secrid wallet since I got it in November 2016 after seeing it in this thread. I've not had any issues with it in that time. Today I got a potential replacement for it, the Peak Design Mobile Wallet. I got it at the same time as getting a Peak Design Everyday Case. The wallet is MagSafe compatible but is extra strong when used with the PD wallet.

The wallet holds 7 cards and is also a kickstand. I'll report back on my findings.

https://www.peakdesign.com/collectio...39475540230221

I also discovered two more or less brand new Trove Cash Wraps in a drawer. I backed it via Kickstarter and was sent two for some reason. At the time I stuck with the Secrid wallet but these are very good too.

https://www.trove.cc/products/trove-...-leather-brown

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    I've been using my Secrid wallet since I got it in November 2016 after seeing it in this thread. I've not had any issues with it in that time. Today I got a potential replacement for it, the Peak Design Mobile Wallet. I got it at the same time as getting a Peak Design Everyday Case. The wallet is MagSafe compatible but is extra strong when used with the PD wallet.

The wallet holds 7 cards and is also a kickstand. I'll report back on my findings.

https://www.peakdesign.com/collectio...39475540230221

I also discovered two more or less brand new Trove Cash Wraps in a drawer. I backed it via Kickstarter and was sent two for some reason. At the time I stuck with the Secrid wallet but these are very good too.

https://www.trove.cc/products/trove-...-leather-brown
    The universal adoption of Apple Pay has put me off any of the mag safe style wallets. Looks like it'd interfere, never be quite sure what card you're touching with (physical or virtual) unless you remove the wallet everytime. That's an assumption on my part though, will be interesting to see if your experience is different (if you use Apple Pay of course).

Finally - after thinking about it since this thread was started - bought the Miniwallet in vintage brown. I'd call that a considered purchase

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    The universal adoption of Apple Pay has put me off any of the mag safe style wallets. Looks like it'd interfere, never be quite sure what card you're touching with (physical or virtual) unless you remove the wallet everytime. That's an assumption on my part though, will be interesting to see if your experience is different (if you use Apple Pay of course).
    I tend to use my Apple Watch for Pay so the MagSafe wallet doesn’t get in the way. A few days in I really like the utility of the stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    I tend to use my Apple Watch for Pay so the MagSafe wallet doesn’t get in the way. A few days in I really like the utility of the stand.
    Similarly my phone is my default payment method. My cards are effectively backup.

Journeyman
    Any new wallets you guys are using?

I-Clip AirTag wallet has been solid for me

I got this one recently.

Very nice leather.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by Tickeros View Post
    I got this one recently.

Very nice leather.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

^ The same Crazy Horse wallet reviewed by David on previous page (posts 801 & 809).

I'm still using a Loft of Cambie Sleeve Classic - the best of several varieties bought 7 years ago off the back of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    ^ The same Crazy Horse wallet reviewed by David on previous page (posts 801 & 809).
    Yes indeed, and I'm using it at the moment, haven failed to stick to my resolution to carry one waller per month this year. Since I last posted, the Crazy Horse leather has developed a really nice dark brown sheen and shine.

It's such a practical and nice looking wallet.
    David

I have had a Trove for several years now. The elastic is now stretched and the cards fall out of the wallet.

I am not going to replace it, as I use Apple Pay for everything. The £100 limit means I never need to carry any physical cards any more.

Master
    https://saddlebackleather.com/leathe...-holder-sleeve

Had one of these for probably 10+ years (bought when the iPad mini launched as had a matching case). Got a lovely patina now, would replace with another but unlikely given the warranty is 100yrs & nothing is worn at all - can’t imagine a Mulberry one looking as good after so many years in a pocket.

Fits a mix of cards & notes, folded into 1/3s. Cash not really used these days apart from tipping waiting staff, or at the local kebab van.

Tempted with another purely for the RFID protection layer, but not been scammed so far without it & I am rarely on public transport, so would hope I’d notice someone loitering near my groin with a terminal lol.

Still need to carry cards in my opinion as impromptu lunches or evening meals are often over the watch / phone limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    https://saddlebackleather.com/leathe...-holder-sleeve

Had one of these for probably 10+ years (bought when the iPad mini launched as had a matching case). Got a lovely patina now, would replace with another but unlikely given the warranty is 100yrs & nothing is worn at all - can’t imagine a Mulberry one looking as good after so many years in a pocket.

Fits a mix of cards & notes, folded into 1/3s. Cash not really used these days apart from tipping waiting staff, or at the local kebab van.

Tempted with another purely for the RFID protection layer, but not been scammed so far without it & I am rarely on public transport, so would hope I’d notice someone loitering near my groin with a terminal lol.

Still need to carry cards in my opinion as impromptu lunches or evening meals are often over the watch / phone limit.
    100 year warranty, that is quite something!

Is there anywhere for cash as well as cards? Or all in the same compartment?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post

I just fold the cash up into thirds and slide between the cards. All the same compartment, but keeps it simple.

Odd thread comes slightly away occasionally but a pass with a lighter and all sorted. When it was new they sent me a replacement due to this, my father has it and still going as strong as mine.

Craftsman

I’ll let you know about the warranty shortly…

I’ve had the front pocket card holder for around 12 years and the front thin leather card holder has recently torn. (I notice the design has been strengthened since I bought mine.)

I’ve no issue paying for a new one but I suppose, if I don’t ask I’ll never know.

Excellent wallets and leather.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ac82 View Post

I’ve had the front pocket card holder for around 12 years and the front thin leather card holder has recently torn. (I notice the design has been strengthened since I bought mine.)

I’ve no issue paying for a new one but I suppose, if I don’t ask I’ll never know.

Please do update, I can’t believe they won’t live true to it.

Loved the old school suitcase they used to sell, but imagine the weight was horrific. I tried their rucksack and was way too heavy for sensible commuting.

Thanks, be good to know what they say.

I think out of all 18 pages of this thread, their Slim Leather Card Wallet is my fave: https://saddlebackleather.com/leather-wallet-card

I'll be getting this when I need to replace my current wallet, which isn't too disimilar but has a metal magnetic arm to hold notes in at the back which bulks it out a little.

Is buying direct the best choice or is there an alternative (UK) seller to help us avoid import/duty fees?

Master
    Thanks, be good to know what they say.

I think out of all 18 pages of this thread, their Slim Leather Card Wallet is my fave: https://saddlebackleather.com/leather-wallet-card

I'll be getting this when I need to replace my current wallet, which isn't too disimilar but has a metal magnetic arm to hold notes in at the back which bulks it out a little.

Is buying direct the best choice or is there an alternative (UK) seller to help us avoid import/duty fees?
    Always had to pay duty; never found another source unfortunately.

I Apple Pay everything , never use my wallet which is in my wife’s bag
    Luckily my wife was in the car a couple of weeks ago when I used the Birmingham toll road as that doesn’t take phone payments for whatever reason

100 year warranty, haha. All a gimmick. Not saying the customer service won’t be great.

Just like Eastpak’s 30 year warranty. My rucksack has torn after 29 years and I want a new one. Go and look at the reviews.

You do realise the warranty is usually related to manufacturing defect rather than wear and tear.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    100 year warranty, haha. All a gimmick. Not saying the customer service won’t be great.

Just like Eastpak’s 30 year warranty. My rucksack has torn after 29 years and I want a new one. Go and look at the reviews.

You do realise the warranty is usually related to manufacturing defect rather than wear and tear.
    Are you a mood hoover on every forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Are you a mood hoover on every forum?
    Always happy to help.

Have you an your wife got a Porsche by the way? Of course I know the answer and so does everybody on the forum, as you ram it down the throat post after post.

Should I sell both Porches and buy one? Tell anyone who listens, and those that don't, to buy a Porsche. I even know how much petrol you used in your Porsche last week. Fascinating.

Not sure you have mentioned your Porsches today, but the day it still young.

A bit of advice. Nobody cares about you humblebrags and you are a bit of a Porsche bore. I'll stick to my mood hoovering as you claim.

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

Having used a Cardamon wallet for the last few years, I've just moved to a Mulberry card holder (birthday present).

Train pass (RFID) on one side, work pass on the other, credit card (in an RFID sleeve) in the middle. Have yet to have to take out a card.

Also now using a McLear Ringpay which is largely brilliant.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Having used a Cardamon wallet for the last few years, I've just moved to a Mulberry card holder (birthday present).

Train pass (RFID) on one side, work pass on the other, credit card (in an RFID sleeve) in the middle. Have yet to have to take out a card.

Also now using a McLear Ringpay which is largely brilliant.

Wish my Oura did ring pay