closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: RWC 2023

To be fair I think Owen would suit the Ireland team very well

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    If only there was a dynamic English coach who could take England to the next level.

I wonder how Ireland are getting on......
    Shaun Edwards?

I was just musing on the similarities between Andy Farrell and Shaun Edwards, looking their careers up on Wikipedia etc and then I noticed: Farrell Jr was born when Farrell Snr was 16 years and 3 months old. Lad.

Well played Ireland. Summed up in one word. Clinical. Scotland had plenty possession but Irish defended superbly and Ireland converted almost every time they entered Scotland’s 22. No sour grapes as the result was never in doubt but what on earth are the officials doing - they even said they checked this - how can they possibly say his foot wasn’t on the line after checking a still shot. Absolutely woeful officiating this WC. Hope it doesn’t cost a team in a closer contest deep into the later stages.

Master
    Borthwick’s press conference performance is just delusional. This England team are a laughing stock. From their so called leader letting a shot clock run down through Earl celebrating every minor scum infraction won like theyve won the RWC. Utterly embarrassing.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    Borthwick’s press conference performance is just delusional. This England team are a laughing stock. From their so called leader letting a shot clock run down through Earl celebrating every minor scum infraction won like theyve won the RWC. Utterly embarrassing.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    It's all very odd. Clearly underperforming. The players are the players, it's the not getting a team out of them that needs to be resolved. Lack of communication, no confidence.

Last edited by xxnick1975; 8th October 2023 at 08:38.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Well played Ireland. Summed up in one word. Clinical. Scotland had plenty possession but Irish defended superbly and Ireland converted almost every time they entered Scotland’s 22. No sour grapes as the result was never in doubt but what on earth are the officials doing - they even said they checked this - how can they possibly say his foot wasn’t on the line after checking a still shot. Absolutely woeful officiating this WC. Hope it doesn’t cost a team in a closer contest deep into the later stages.
    In their defence, it doesn’t look like the players right foot is actually on the ground from that shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    In their defence, it doesn’t look like the players right foot is actually on the ground from that shot.
    On my telly, you could clearly see the studs under his boots all the time. His foot wasn't on the floor, imho.

I've never been on the Toonie Hype Train & the IRE v. SCO score was about where I thought it would be.

The SCO front five were poor. Decision making was poor. Managing the referee was poor. Just the usual for a Toonie team, unfortunately!
    ______

​Jim.

I find watching England so frustrating.
    They have no idea who to be.
    At one stage there, they had (at the same time) their best full back on the wing, a centre on the other wing, and one of the best attacking fly halves at full back.
    All in order to accommodate Farrell on the pitch.
    It makes no sense, and the two-fly-half idea is a busted flush, because it removes so much running threat, Farrell has none, and he can almost be ignored in terms of marking, which doubles the trouble, because fewer runners have more markers to stop them.
    When it was novel, people didn't know how to react to it, but as an idea, it is toast now.
    In Farrell's absence Ford proved he can run the game better than him.
    We just need to move on.

Sweets you hit the nail on the head
    Farrell is a hinderance to the team
    I am not trying to find a scapegoat but he is really holding the team back
    Ford is trying to distribute but it has to go via 12 and he slows it all down, his passing is not the best and it is disrupting the flow of the back line
    What is equally as worrying is England loosing the contact
    England seem to lose the gain line every contact. The defensive structure is not right and the contact is not up to standard.
    You have to stop the offensive player, put him on his arse and England can’t do that at the moment

Fiji vs. Portugal looks interesting.
    Scrappy game, square all round at half-time.
    Fiji need one point to send the Aussies home; no sign of it yet!

Please, for the love of God stop talking in hyperboles.

Not the best game, but the best result. Well done Portugal!

if Ireland vs South Africa was the gritty nailbiting game of the pool stages then Japan vs Argentina was the fun entertainment game of the pool stages. What a show those two put on, absolutely compelling the whole way through, I loved every second of that.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    On my telly, you could clearly see the studs under his boots all the time. His foot wasn't on the floor, imho.
    Touching a blade of white coloured grass is considered out I thought?

There's a bit of a mad frenzy amongst the BTL commentators going on over at the Guardian regarding the IRE v. NZ QF on Saturday.

There's over 700 comments (and TBH, I haven't read them all!) regarding the match & who the likely victor will be.

Frankly, I think that it depends largely on who the match referee is and how he performs.

If the official decides to allow Ireland to be 'Irishy' (as Nic Berry did against Scotland) without sanction, then it's a hard road for the ABs. However, if NZ is allowed to to be 'ABsy' & not get pinged, then it's vice versa. If the referee keeps it honest for both teams it'll be a slobberknocker & very hard to call.
    ______

​Jim.

First of the knock out games this weekend. I predict a fairly comfortable Wales win, a comfortable England win after a shaky start and a dangerous Fiji purple patch mid game. Narrow Ireland win and can't call France v SA despite France being the favourites.

Wales have got Peyper on the whistle. That makes any match a lottery.

As for IRE v. NZ, that's Barnes, Carley, Ridley & Foley. I predict lots of genial chatting to O'Mahony & Sexton with lots of 'Go away' to Cane & his colleagues.
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Wales have got Peyper on the whistle. That makes any match a lottery.
    Taken off injured :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Might be my tinted eyes, but wales getting a blind eye to a few of their forward passes

Wales have become to rugby refereeing what Spains football side are to football refs - untouchable. Why might that be??

Jim
    Last edited by Jimmcb; 14th October 2023 at 16:55.

Not sure how the Wales player avoided a yellow at the end there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Taken off injured :)
    Karl Dickson is no improvement. He proves that fast-tracking former players doesn't always work.

He appeared to be looking straight at Josh Adams' cheap shot, but was desperate to find a reason to penalise Argentina. Shameless.
    ______

​Jim.

Karl Dickson is no improvement. He proves that fast-tracking former players doesn't always work.

He appeared to be looking straight at Josh Adams' cheap shot, but was desperate to find a reason to penalise Argentina. Shameless.
    Shocking decision

Master
    Blog Entries
    Without doubt Wales will win this game.

Argentina not getting a fair game.

Jim

Master
    Blog Entries
    Consistent penalties by wales on try line should be punished.

Jim

England spanked these with 14 men. What the hell are Wales playing at?

I am not so sure that wales will win.
    The Pumas know how to grind out a win.
    Injuries not being kind to Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    England spanked these with 14 men. What the hell are Wales playing at?
    Argentina always had a good game in them, but we are certainly not doing ourselves any favours either.

Going to be a gripping last 8 minutes. Don't give away penalties in this game!

That's it gone, no arguments from me.

That's it gone, no arguments from me.
    Yep Wales are out unfortunately.
    Good read of the play by the Puma

Master
    Blog Entries
    Shocking. Italy have been getting spanked of late.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Wales just got found out.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Yep Wales are out unfortunately.
    Good read of the play by the Puma
    They kept their heads, kept pushing, and it worked. We can pick apart individual referee decisions, but the end result was the right one. Damn and blast, but well deserved Argentina.
    Makes next weekend more relaxing at least ;)

Master
    They kept their heads, kept pushing, and it worked. We can pick apart individual referee decisions, but the end result was the right one. Damn and blast, but well deserved Argentina.
    Makes next weekend more relaxing at least ;)
    😂 Yes, nobody gave Wales much of a prayer going into the World Cup, and as you say, focusing on individual refereeing decisions for or against doesn’t change things, Argentina won and that’s that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    😂 Yes, nobody gave Wales much of a prayer going into the World Cup, and as you say, focusing on individual refereeing decisions for or against doesn’t change things, Argentina won and that’s that.
    Indeed, glad to get out of a hard pool, that in itself was by no means assumed, and Argentina did what they needed to do. We were at sixes and sevens at the end. Forever proud anyway x.

Wales weren't 100% today.

I think (but don't know, of course!) Wales started with Biggar & L. Williams carrying injuries that should have prevented them from being on the field from the beginning. Still, that's what Gatland's paid for & he picked them.

As for Peyper & Dickson on the Acme Thunderer, they were rubbish to both teams.
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Blog Entries
     Yes, nobody gave Wales much of a prayer going into the World Cup, and as you say, focusing on individual refereeing decisions for or against doesn’t change things, Argentina won and that’s that.
    Agreed.

Argentina played well and Wales played the way they have in recent years.

Two of the biggies in northern hemisphere rugby Wales and England are way down on their standards of a few years ago. Rather than building on those good times they have gone way backwards. Why??

Jim

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Agreed.

Argentina played well and Wales played the way they have in recent years.

Two of the biggies in northern hemisphere rugby Wales and England are way down on their standards of a few years ago. Rather than building on those good times they have gone way backwards. Why??

Jim
    If I knew that Jim, I’d be sitting where Gatland or Borthwick are!

In Englands case, the mystery is how the individual talent doesn’t seem to fire as a team, and for Wales I think they’re ascending from a false dawn.

Hey, it’s rugby and I love it whatever the result, looking forward to getting up to Edinburgh when the Top14 gets going again. 🙂

Wales weren't 100% today.

I think (but don't know, of course!) Wales started with Biggar & L. Williams carrying injuries that should have prevented them from being on the field from the beginning. Still, that's what Gatland's paid for & he picked them.

Biggar was struggling with his pec injury early doors, but Gatland is onto a no win situ picking him or nor not picking him, same with Liam Williams. Small pool of players, not an excuse by any means, but definitely a reality

Great result for Argentina and Michael Chelka.
    I think that unfortunately whether it was a genuine high or a false dawn, what goes up must come down and it's true for England and Wales today (not pre-judging tomorrow's performance, just based on this last few seasons and up to now) like it will be true for Ireland and France in the years to come. The All Blacks seem to be the only team that doesn't fall too far down when they have an "off" season.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Frustrating with Wales being 10-0 up and seemingly in control for 30 mins but then blow 3 lineouts in a row so kind of had a bad feeling it was gonna happen!

It’s one of the great aspects of our game, you have play the team in front of you and the bloke with the whistle.
    I don’t think Dixon had a bad game (Peyper never has a good one) for me he was trying to let players play and and the game flow. Both teams had a rough rub on some decisions but I think he got the call on the alleged yellow to Tomkins right.

Master
    Blog Entries
    If I knew that Jim, I’d be sitting where Gatland or Borthwick are!

In Englands case, the mystery is how the individual talent doesn’t seem to fire as a team, and for Wales I think they’re ascending from a false dawn.

Hey, it’s rugby and I love it whatever the result, looking forward to getting up to Edinburgh when the Top14 gets going again. 
    Spot on T

Gives a shout when you get up here. Try and catch up if you want??

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    It’s one of the great aspects of our game, you have play the team in front of you and the bloke with the whistle.
    I don’t think Dixon had a bad game (Peyper never has a good one) for me he was trying to let players play and and the game flow. Both teams had a rough rub on some decisions but I think he got the call on the alleged yellow to Tomkins right.
    The first job of the referee is to apply the Laws to both teams. Game management is secondary to that.

He scarcely bothered with offsides, forward passes, straight, contestable throws into the lineout etc., etc..

Incidentally, the funniest thing I've read about the match was a comment from someone who hopes that Dan Biggar makes a quick recovery from his sprained voicebox
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Spot on T

Gives a shout when you get up here. Try and catch up if you want??

Jim
    Absolutely Jim, I’ll drop you a PM next time I’m up. 👍

Master
    Blog Entries
    If Biggar had paid the same attention to the game as he did to when he featured on the stadium screens and he looked up to preen himself, he might have served his country better.

Remarkable how he was strutting his stuff pretty well, then he realised he was on camera and suddenly the limp and shoulder needing rubbing. Prima Donna or what.

Jim

- - - Updated - - -

Absolutely Jim, I’ll drop you a PM next time I’m up. 
    Yes please! Looking forward to it!

Jim

The first job of the referee is to apply the Laws to both teams. Game management is secondary to that.

He scarcely bothered with offsides, forward passes, straight, contestable throws into the lineout etc., etc..

Incidentally, the funniest thing I've read about the match was a comment from someone who hopes that Dan Biggar makes a quick recovery from his sprained voicebox
    I agree the ref is there to uphold the laws but if Sir is equally bad for both teams (and I have had some sh1te refs in my time) it makes the game playable. If you get a biased / over officious ref (had them as well) it ruins the game.
    I would rather see a ref miss infringements equally for both teams (you play the ref) than the Peyper ‘It’s all about me’ call everything style ref. It makes the game unplayable and unwatchable in the worst cases.

NZ looking good!
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 14th October 2023 at 20:21.

Belting game this.

All tries scored by Kiwis too!