closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 328 of 363 FirstFirst ... 228278318326327328329330338 ... LastLast
Results 16,351 to 16,400 of 18122

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Ultimately it either bothers you or it doesn't. I'm in the camp that it does.
    I'm doing a 118 mile trip to Hampshire tomorrow from Wales. I have less than 2 miles of 20mph zone to get out of my town and then that's it. If England had adopted the 20 I'd have to drive another half mile of 20 at my destination.
    At 2 minutes to travel a mile at 30mph, and 3 minutes to travel the same mile at 20mph it would add less than two and a half minutes to my 118 mile journey if the law applied in Hampshire aswell as Wales. As it doesn't, the law will cost me less than 2 minutes tomorrow.
    Also, the reality is, the roads I have to do 20mph on, you can't average 30mph anyway unless in the dead of night.
    I'm struggling to see what the fuss is about to be honest, although my attitude would maybe be different if I lived in a big city.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    I'm doing a 118 mile trip to Hampshire tomorrow from Wales. I have less than 2 miles of 20mph zone to get out of my town and then that's it. If England had adopted the 20 I'd have to drive another half mile of 20 at my destination.
    At 2 minutes to travel a mile at 30mph, and 3 minutes to travel the same mile at 20mph it would add less than two and a half minutes to my 118 mile journey if the law applied in Hampshire aswell as Wales. As it doesn't, the law will cost me less than 2 minutes tomorrow.
    Also, the reality is, the roads I have to do 20mph on, you can't average 30mph anyway unless in the dead of night.
    I'm struggling to see what the fuss is about to be honest, although my attitude would maybe be different if I lived in a big city.
    and that is it - in 'strict' terms. We've had it a couple of years now, and it has brought down most who were doing 35-40 in a '30' - to under 30, with no strict enforcement of '20'. Of course - other areas may implement it differently.

They have had speed sensors in the roads on outskirts of towns recently (the twin rubber tube type) - so I guess they are looking at effectiveness of the limits and if they want to go further with enforcement.

I'm generally in 2nd gear on my XR and R1 in a 20-limit.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    We've had it a couple of years now, and it has brought down most who were doing 35-40 in a '30' - to under 30, with no strict enforcement of '20'. Of course - other areas may implement it differently.
    I have already noticed that it has brought speed down in 30mph zones also ( except for audi and BMW drivers of course). There are two separate 30mph roads between 20 zones I will drive in tomorrow, and most people will now be doing the high 20's on these. Maybe because they are not sure if they are 20 or not and hedging their bets perhaps?
    This is not in writing, but my sister knows a chief constable and he says traffic police in Gwent where she lives will enforce the usual formula of the speed limit, plus 10%, plus 1mph, but will also add another 4mph. So apparently safe up to 27mph but I wouldn't like to test it!

Well, you’ve just given a very good account of how the 20 mph speed limit doesn’t affect you. Of course you don’t see what the fuss is about!

Motolegends Sunday sale this week is a good one - 42% off the Belstaff Brooklands Mojave 2.0 waxed jacket in mahogany (down from £595 to £350, but today only). They seem to have all sizes at the time of typing, and the discount code is BRK42.

(I've just snagged one in a medium, not that I need a 10th bike jacket, FFS!)
    So why buy another one then? Are you ill, mentally unable to control your buying impulse? And you´re swearing at your own apparently perceived weakness, FFS. Weird way to carry on imho.

I genuinely find it hard behaviour to understand in a grown man, some women sure...teenagers too, the young are so faddish, readily influenced to desire, the next, the new thing. Does your behaviour, frustrating and free as it apparently seems to even yourself of impulse control, in some way help you to feel young at heart? That could make a sort of sense...
    Last edited by Passenger; 8th October 2023 at 12:47.

Well, you’ve just given a very good account of how the 20 mph speed limit doesn’t affect you. Of course you don’t see what the fuss is about!
    Well of course it affects me, I have to adhere to it like everyone else, but people have different circumstances. It will have a very different effect on a multidrop delivery driver for example.
    I used tomorrows journey as an example, but the same formula works roughly for every journey I make, anywhere, and the majority of people I know will be affected similarly.
    There are issues of course, such as roads that really should be 20 but are still 30 and vice versa. Maybe this will be ironed out, maybe/probably not. And obviously doing 30mph at 1500rpm in fifth is better for the environment than doing 20mph at 1500rpm in third for longer (although certainly in my town as I stated earlier, you can't average 30 anyway during the the daytime, and other towns I have to regularly visit are much the same).
    So basically, if I drive to any of my usual locations, my dads place 30 miles away, anyone in any other town or village I visit, one of the beaches I go to a few times a week, West Wales every month or so etc etc, it 'inconveniences' me for a couple of minutes each time, and there is literally no-one else I personally know that it will have a vastly different practical effect upon even though their views on it may differ enormously of course.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of it, but on the other hand it doesn't make me wave my arms and gnash my teeth either.

Master
    It would be so much better if many speed limits actually made more sense. As an example there’s a place on the A5 towards Betyws y Coed where there are houses a school, old folks bungalows and driveways that are right next to the road. It’s a 60. The local residence have made their own 40 signs and put up please slow down signs. They’ve begged for a lower speed limit for years, and it would make total sense. I don’t know about others but I regularly ride or drive through a number of places like this. Then you have wide open roads, no houses or schools etc and it’s 20mph for 2 or 3 miles.

Well of course it affects me, I have to adhere to it like everyone else, but people have different circumstances. It will have a very different effect on a multidrop delivery driver for example.
    I used tomorrows journey as an example, but the same formula works roughly for every journey I make, anywhere, and the majority of people I know will be affected similarly.
    There are issues of course, such as roads that really should be 20 but are still 30 and vice versa. Maybe this will be ironed out, maybe/probably not. And obviously doing 30mph at 1500rpm in fifth is better for the environment than doing 20mph at 1500rpm in third for longer (although certainly in my town as I stated earlier, you can't average 30 anyway during the the daytime, and other towns I have to regularly visit are much the same).
    So basically, if I drive to any of my usual locations, my dads place 30 miles away, anyone in any other town or village I visit, one of the beaches I go to a few times a week, West Wales every month or so etc etc, it 'inconveniences' me for a couple of minutes each time, and there is literally no-one else I personally know that it will have a vastly different practical effect upon even though their views on it may differ enormously of course.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of it, but on the other hand it doesn't make me wave my arms and gnash my teeth either.
    Again, you’re describing your own experience, nobody else’s - despite your protestations to the contrary. I’m also unaware of any waving of arms or gnashing of teeth, more a simple expression of dissatisfaction with the changes. Finally, I’m assuming that you’re speaking as a car driver, which involves a completely different context and has little to do with the reasons for complaints from the two wheel community (which have already resulted in extensive lobbying by the AMG).

Anyway, as you were.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 8th October 2023 at 14:04.

Again, you’re describing your own experience, nobody else’s. I’m also unaware of any waving of arms or gnashing of teeth, more a simple expression of dissatisfaction with the changes. Anyway, as you were.
    I can't describe your experience, I dont know anything about you. So of course I'm describing my own experience, but also that of the vast majority of people I do know. And as I said earlier their experience may be very similar, but their view on it in some cases is very very different to my own. We all have different triggers.
    I'm not referring to gnashing of teeth on here but Facebook etc is full of it. Anyway, just like gnashing our teeth it's pointless arguing about it as its here probably to stay and is with us whatever me and you think about it.

I can't describe your experience, I dont know anything about you. So of course I'm describing my own experience, but also that of the vast majority of people I do know. And as I said earlier their experience may be very similar, but their view on it in some cases is very very different to my own. We all have different triggers.
    I'm not referring to gnashing of teeth on here but Facebook etc is full of it. Anyway, just like gnashing our teeth it's pointless arguing about it as its here probably to stay and is with us whatever me and you think about it.
    Fair enough, and I guess time will tell. Btw, I did edit my previous post at the same time you were responding.

Fair enough, and I guess time will tell. Btw, I did edit my previous post at the same time you were responding.
    I am speaking as a car driver correct, but also as an ex biker of 30 odd years 365 days a year, hence my interest in this thread (would love to see more photos btw).
    I honestly can't see how it would be any different on a bike to a car, slow down to 20 for 20 zones, speed up accordingly elsewhere.
    Anyhoo, it doesn't bother me, it does bother others, and I can't add any more to that.
    As you said, as you were.

Yes - in other words a huge compromise. It's also a big issue in London now as well; for example, if I want to pop over to the bike shed, for a large part of the journey I'm bouncing between 1st and 2nd gear. Not exactly a joy to be on two wheels.

Try second gear only.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Try second gear only.

R
    2nd gear places a load on the engine (which I’m still running in), so not so simple. 30mph would be perfect for 2nd gear, of course.

Yes - in other words a huge compromise. It's also a big issue in London now as well; for example, if I want to pop over to the bike shed, for a large part of the journey I'm bouncing between 1st and 2nd gear. Not exactly a joy to be on two wheels.

I went that route commuting for years. Awful on an R1200 and fully agree, very annoying.

In the end my solution was to just speed and slow down for the cameras. Fine on a daily commute but got to be very annoying if you don’t know the route extremely well.

Hot of the press - so to speak.

Motolegends Sunday sale this week is a good one - 42% off the Belstaff Brooklands Mojave 2.0 waxed jacket in mahogany (down from £595 to £350, but today only). They seem to have all sizes at the time of typing, and the discount code is BRK42.

(I've just snagged one in a medium, not that I need a 10th bike jacket, FFS!)
    An update with the actual link.

Bear in mind that this is one of the most iconic bike jackets ever made, and is normally NEVER discounted - let alone by more than 40%. I should know, as I’ve been keeping my eyes peeled for an opportunity like this for the best part of five years!

Craftsman
    An update with the actual link.

Bear in mind that this is one of the most iconic bike jackets ever made, and is normally NEVER discounted - let alone by more than 40%. I should know, as I’ve been keeping my eyes peeled for an opportunity like this for the best part of five years!
    You need to stop this Tony- I have too many jackets already!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    You need to stop this Tony- I have too many jackets already!

I made room for you, so…

Master

This is not in writing, but my sister knows a chief constable and he says traffic police in Gwent where she lives will enforce the usual formula of the speed limit, plus 10%, plus 1mph, but will also add another 4mph. So apparently safe up to 27mph but I wouldn't like to test it!
    This is my understanding in Flintshire, the “Go Safe” radar vans are using 27mph as a trigger. Incidentally all community speed patrols eg well minded locals with 30 mins training on a radar gun have been stood down. Apparently they we’re concerned over physical attacks over the new 20 mph limit.

From first hand three week experience In Flintshire (where virtually every 30 has been downgraded to a 20) the majority of folk are driving at 25 ish. I see road rage daily with extravagant overtakes of folk doing 15/18 in a 20mph. Im sure they would remind us all its a limit, not a guide to cruising speed.

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    This is my understanding in Flintshire, the “Go Safe” radar vans are using 27mph as a trigger. Incidentally all community speed patrols eg well minded locals with 30 mins training on a radar gun have been stood down. Apparently they we’re concerned over physical attacks over the new 20 mph limit.

From first hand three week experience In Flintshire (where virtually every 30 has been downgraded to a 20) the majority of folk are driving at 25 ish. I see road rage daily with extravagant overtakes of folk doing 15/18 in a 20mph. Im sure they would remind us all its a limit, not a guide to cruising speed.
    It's sounding more and more like 27mph is safe then, assuming speedometer accuracy is good of course.
    On the flat in my wife's car or my campervan I find a very light throttle in third gives roughly 22-23mph indicated and I feel pretty secure against getting zapped doing that. Knowing the vehicles sweet spot means I'm not constantly having to check my speedometer either.

Just as an aside... I find holding 20 in a car a lot easier than on a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Indeed, and my original point was specifically regarding the impact of 20 mph zones on bikers.

Master
    Did a couple of hundred miles over the weekend on my bike - south of London - a lot of 20mph areas and mid week I ventured in central london (in car)- it hard to keep track wether your in a 20 or 30 in London
    The Speedo in my bike is roughly 10% off so I was probably doing 18 it wasn’t too bad
    Last edited by lewie; 9th October 2023 at 10:43.

Master

Ducati in Sales Corner

Dont know if many have seen this beauty in SC , no affiliation just increasing the audience

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...-OFF-PRO-BUILD

For those on car: unless you have a low specs model, an old classic or a traditional sports car you have cruise control. One function (LIM) allows you to set a maximum speed which saves you from having to look at your speedometer.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

for the cruise control on my bike to work i have to be doing at least 30 mph in 4th gear.

in other news the best thing about the ceramic coating i did is that i can now wipe dead dried on bugs off the bike with a dry cloth rather than have to chisel them off after soaking them.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    for the cruise control on my bike to work i have to be doing at least 30 mph in 4th gear.

in other news the best thing about the ceramic coating i did is that i can now wipe dead dried on bugs off the bike with a dry cloth rather than have to chisel them off after soaking them.
    Yes, it is why, despite the thread title I only mentioned cars (prompted by Lewie's post about driving in London).

In France, the moment you drive past the roadsigns for the village, town or city the limit is 50 km/h unless a speed limit sign alongside says different.

This applies until you passed the roadsigns exiting the village/etc.

Of course, when in the agglomeration other speed restrictions can apply. I can tell you that the LIM function is a godsend when not on a motorway. And yes, it applies to bikes as well
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    I’ve not ridden my TMax since May, but I’m pretty sure you can set the cruise control as low as 20mph. Could prove to be quite useful👍

Thorough clean down & then applied rim take & some new belly pan stickers on Saturday morning followed by a good blast out in the afternoon.

Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    So why buy another one then? Are you ill, mentally unable to control your buying impulse? And you´re swearing at your own apparently perceived weakness, FFS. Weird way to carry on imho.

I genuinely find it hard behaviour to understand in a grown man, some women sure...teenagers too, the young are so faddish, readily influenced to desire, the next, the new thing. Does your behaviour, frustrating and free as it apparently seems to even yourself of impulse control, in some way help you to feel young at heart? That could make a sort of sense...
    You do realise you're on a watch forum?

I strongly suspect most, if not all of us, have slightly more watches than are strictly necessary.
    Last edited by andy tims; 9th October 2023 at 13:29.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I’ve not ridden my TMax since May, but I’m pretty sure you can set the cruise control as low as 20mph. Could prove to be quite useful
    Pit lane limiter FTW -

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kairos View Post
    AHEM.....! The ORIGINAL GSA was an 1150.
    I put over 400,000 miles on the 3 1150s I had, between them. One standard GS with a 42 litre tank. Why did I need 42 litres? Have you ever tried getting fuel in rural France on a Sunday? I said RURAL France. This was also the early 2000s, so 20 years ago, fuel was impossible because petrol stations closed on Sundays and pay at the pump was only a thing at large supermarkets or on the main roads. The Adventure versions had a genuine 330 miles range and I used it frequently because I was often doing 500 mile days, 250 to the job, work, then home the same day. It was also useful getting back from my sister's place on Skye. I had fuel to get to Broadford, half way down Skye, that got me to the BP services at Dunfermline where I brimmed her again and had a bite to eat, that fuel got me home - north of Skye to home in Uttoxeter (near Alton Towers) on 2 fill ups and timing wise I left Bryony's at 13.15 and was home by 22.30. Fuel range can be useful if you are regularly doing high mileage. For the usual liesure user however, petrol is now pretty much available within 120 miles anywhere in Europe, even in the Eastern countries..

Not that that helps you with your choice! Nowadays I am happy to ride the X Country with an 8.5 litre usable tank and the R80GS, with 22 litres I think it is, gives me about 230 miles.
    I bought one of the last 1150 Gsa with no abs in June 05 and haven’t parted with it since, each to their own.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post

I strongly suspect most, if not all of us, have slightly more watches than are strictly necessary.
    Well said , and most of us have more than one bike when clearly “ one bike can do it all” :)

Long live N+1

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post

You developed miserable postie syndrome?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Well said , and most of us have more than one bike when clearly “ one bike can do it all” :)

Long live N+1
    Indeed. I find bike jackets particularly susceptible to the N+1 rule, actually, not that it requires justification to some plonker on the Internet. (That said, I may move a couple on at some point, else my bike gear will end up requiring its own wardrobe. Oh, wait...)

Master
    Indeed. I find bike jackets particularly susceptible to the N+1 rule, actually, not that it requires justification to some plonker on the Internet. (That said, I may move a couple on at some point, else my bike gear will end up requiring its own wardrobe. Oh, wait...)
    Mine already has its own wardrobe.. when I can’t fit anything else in, something has to go😎🤓

Craftsman
    I’ll have first dibs on your new Belstaff!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    I’ll have first dibs on your new Belstaff!

If it doesn't fit I'll be in touch!

Master
    I’ve got a Triumph leather jacket on SC just now if anyone is getting itchy palms… just sayin’ :)

Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    I’ve got a Triumph leather jacket on SC just now if anyone is getting itchy palms… just sayin’ :)
    Proper jacket, that! Luckily it’s too big

Master
    Still 23° so managed a blast for some breakfast- my ex boss joined us on his Busa
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr

If it doesn't fit I'll be in touch!
    Unfortunately it’s perfect

Craftsman
    Unfortunately it’s perfect
    Well that’s good to hear Tony.

PS Don’t hold back on the turkey and Christmas pud this year, I can wait until January!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Tale of V85TT’s today.

Started with my 3.5k miles ‘22 model, followed by a blood bike that’s a couple of months older with about ten times the mileage.

Without looking at the odometer I have to say the miles didn’t really show.

Master
    That looks ace! Loving the brand-sensitive decals :D

Very nice!
    I too love to see a little rim tape properly applied and not overdone.

Just did my CBT, having not been on two wheels since riding my parents' Cub 90 when I was 17/18. Gloriously sunny day up here, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Very nice!
    I too love to see a little rim tape properly applied and not overdone.
    I'm a big fan of rim tape - with black wheels, lack of rim tape can make the tyres look like mudpluggers.

Heard on radio that Borders Council is gritting tonight............... so will need to be a super-mild day for me to take a run out now................

Been a poor bike year, all in all - work prevented more than a 2 week Pyrenees holiday this year, but I've already booked Provence Alpes and Pyrenees for next year..............

Roll on spring !!
    Last edited by blackal; 12th October 2023 at 17:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Just did my CBT, having not been on two wheels since riding my parents' Cub 90 when I was 17/18. Gloriously sunny day up here, too.
    Nice one!

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post
    That looks ace! Loving the brand-sensitive decals :D
    Said no biker.......... ever