closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone put the heating on yet?

I missed the ref to TADO.

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post

This!
    Plus we are on the side of an exposed hill, in a leaky c.400 year old farmhouse, which is also listed, meaning our options to improve things are rather limited, meaning we need to wear more jumpers rather than crank the heating up.
    Sounds romantic!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Sounds romantic!
    This.

28 C today, night's are getting cooler though! The missus said she turned off the bedroom ceiling fan in the wee hours this morning.

Heating came on this morning at 5.30am, lovely and snug when I got up.

Set for 19 degrees in the hall and 21 in the main receptions.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM112 View Post
    Are the quoted prices available for new customers ???

I will be paying from Oct 1st

Electricity 28.08 KWH plus 47.57p per day standing charge
    Gas 6.90kWh plus 29.60 per day standing charge

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I don’t think you have tried the Octopus Energy website. Should be your starting point.

Tap in your postcode, it will give you the details of their rate, then click on I’m interested in one of our innovative tariffs.

Master
    It won't be much longer before we succumb I'm afraid. Trying to hold out until October 1st.

scooter

We try to wait until October at least. Can be challenging, but our solar PV thing has meant that we have used almost no gas for hot water for months.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Our heating won’t come on until it’s around 18 inside. (Which would be about 0 outside)
    It’s currently 22 in the front room and warmer elsewhere in the house so we have a while yet.
    We are still in shorts and t shirts and sleeping under a sheet (no duvet needed) thankfully!

Master
    Blog Entries
    So close to putting it on this damp dreary night. Stat saying 19 so can't bring myself to put it on.

Just stuck mine on again, house was showing 16.8 deg c so I've put the hive to 18 deg c for an hour or two...

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Our heating won’t come on until it’s around 18 inside. (Which would be about 0 outside)
    It’s currently 22 in the front room and warmer elsewhere in the house so we have a while yet.
    How is it so warm inside? Proper insulation, triple glazing?

We're still in shorts and Ts inside but it's been really mild down here so lucky.

Garage boiler temp is till showing 20ºC so we're good for now.

Must be a weather split across the country as I have just had a couple of glasses of vino blanco with my stuffed peppers in the garden.

It wasn’t warm, but manageable with light jumper.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    How is it so warm inside? Proper insulation, triple glazing?

We're still in shorts and Ts inside but it's been really mild down here so lucky.

Garage boiler temp is till showing 20ºC so we're good for now.
    Yeah pretty much
    It’s a bloody hot house
    We have triple glazing, good insulation, three new roofs with extra insulation installed this year help.

Yeah pretty much
    It’s a bloody hot house
    We have triple glazing, good insulation, three new roofs with extra insulation installed this year help.
    Result

Every time I sit down and think what we'd have to do to our place to make it properly warm, I come out in hives.

Result

Every time I sit down and think what we'd have to do to our place to make it properly warm, I come out in hives.
    I find it a bit too warm (first world problems) she loves it though.

We are still in shorts and t shirts and sleeping under a sheet (no duvet needed) thankfully!
    Yeah pretty much
    It’s a bloody hot house
    Not sure how you can state that 18c indoors is achievable without heating (even in sunlight) would be around 0c outside.............

How have you arrived at that?

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Not sure how you can state that 18c indoors is achievable without heating (even in sunlight) would be around 0c outside.............

How have you arrived at that?
    Last winter we got to -7 just before Xmas, the heating was on and it was 20 in the front room - however through the whole cold snap the heating only popped on sporadically. It was not on for hours a day. It’s not on a timer, we use the room temp to set the heating and its set to come on at 18.
    Thermostat read a pretty constant 18/19 throughout winter, minimal heating used.
    Our EPC rating is A, the only thing we can do to improve it is install solar.

This is not a humble brag!!!!!
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 30th September 2023 at 20:49.

Log burner 1st time tonight, just North West of Doncaster.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Our EPC rating is A
    The Holy Grail. We're D

Master
    Blog Entries
    Last winter we got to -7 just before Xmas, the heating was on and it was 20 in the front room - however through the whole cold snap the heating only popped on sporadically. It was not on for hours a day. It’s not on a timer, we use the room temp to set the heating and its set to come on at 18.
    Thermostat read a pretty constant 18/19 throughout winter, minimal heating used.

If I set ours to 18 the boiler would do the same. I dread to think what the bill would be though!

A good run of well over 7 months without the central heating on, although I have put it on just to turn the system over occasionally.

But, I reckon that is coming to an end over the next couple of days.

Hot water on for about an hour every second day since May, but no heating until last night - 1hr with just the kitchen radiators opened up...........

Might need the same again tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    A good run of well over 7 months without the central heating on, although I have put it on just to turn the system over occasionally.

But, I reckon that is coming to an end over the next couple of days.
    Yep, 6 months of lovely low gas bills.

Now preparing for the shock of 11-13ºC outside temperatures from tomorrow and checking jumpers for moth holes.

Grand Master
    As I`ve got older I feel the cold far more, so I accept that the heating has to go on and stay on most of the day. Wifey, who's only 1 year younger, doesn`t seem to feel it like I do so we have constant battles over the heating. No easy answer, I turn it up, she turns it down, I turn it up......

Apart from a quick blast a couple for weeks ago I haven`t had the heating on, but that'll change today!

Master
    Yep, 6 months of lovely low gas bills.

Now preparing for the shock of 11-13ºC outside temperatures from tomorrow and checking jumpers for moth holes.
    1C apparently for Sunday night, but I’d rather be chilly than too hot tbh. I can always layer up as required, once I’m in a T-shirt and shirts and get too hot, very little else I can do apart from sweat.

Will see what the day time temps are like in my home office, don’t tend to feel cold, but my hands suffer. Yet to find a good hand warming solution.

Fingerless gloves don’t really work, turtle doves just gave me warm wrists. The search continues.

Master
    Passenger is my hero so in emulation of him I am happy to boast that I am sitting on my arse at this precise moment in time in sunny Spain in the early stages of the evening where it is a gentle 26 degrees.

I do not need any heating and neither do I need the air conditioning so I have no running costs at all.

I see from the news that the UK is enjoying a somewhat wet climate at the moment, so I am glad that I am over here.

I don't know if anyone listened to Greg Jackson, CEO of Octopus Energy, on Desert Island Discs this week?

He said that many poor people were suffering from the ability to pay high energy bills, and that a colleague had stated that the human body needs only 40W of heat to keep warm, whereas a typical boiler requires something like 20,000W to keep a house warm.

His company then supplied electric blankets to something like 40,000 customers who were in difficulties paying bills. Nothing is perfect and you can always whinge and moan at capitalism, but I thought that quite inspirational.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Passenger is my hero so in emulation of him I am happy to boast that I am sitting on my arse at this precise moment in time in sunny Spain in the early stages of the evening where it is a gentle 26 degrees.

I do not need any heating and neither do I need the air conditioning so I have no running costs at all.

I see from the news that the UK is enjoying a somewhat wet climate at the moment, so I am glad that I am over here.
    Perfect weather, no running costs and with the thermal cover on the pool, it's still at 26/27 c, in mid October! Lovely. We were at the beach though this afternoon, change of scene and I managed a nice run down through the mountain rambla/ ravine, 4 or 5 Km, then another nice little stretch along the beach side to catch up with the wife and nipper...and a dip of course, we saw hordes of fish today, very close to the shore. Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    1C apparently for Sunday night, but I’d rather be chilly than too hot tbh. I can always layer up as required, once I’m in a T-shirt and shirts and get too hot, very little else I can do apart from sweat.

Will see what the day time temps are like in my home office, don’t tend to feel cold, but my hands suffer. Yet to find a good hand warming solution.

Fingerless gloves don’t really work, turtle doves just gave me warm wrists. The search continues.

I don't know if anyone listened to Greg Jackson, CEO of Octopus Energy, on Desert Island Discs this week?

He said that many poor people were suffering from the ability to pay high energy bills, and that a colleague had stated that the human body needs only 40W of heat to keep warm, whereas a typical boiler requires something like 20,000W to keep a house warm.

His company then supplied electric blankets to something like 40,000 customers who were in difficulties paying bills. Nothing is perfect and you can always whinge and moan at capitalism, but I thought that quite inspirational.
    I highly recommend these electric ‘throw/over blankets’ for warming beds, draping over your thighs in home office, or even over shoulders……..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

The double size is around 120w consumption and I use doubled up over my legs in the office rather than bunging on the heating. 20mins powered up is good for a couple of hours and you can warm your hands up along the way.

they are even washable.

When I was returning home after 4 nights away in winter (no house heating on apart from evening I came home) - I had it under the duvet and switched on for around 20 mins before going to bed, result - an ultra toasty bed!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Perfect weather, no running costs and with the thermal cover on the pool, it's still at 26/27 c, in mid October! Lovely. We were at the beach though this afternoon, change of scene and I managed a nice run down through the mountain rambla/ ravine, 4 or 5 Km, then another nice little stretch along the beach side to catch up with the wife and nipper...and a dip of course, we saw hordes of fish today, very close to the shore. Nice.
    Why do you have the cover over the pool? Ours is still warm but we are fortunate that the sun shines on it from morning to night.

Unfortunately a herd of goats passed by this morning and we must have a million turds decomposing in the sun and stinking us out. However it's still better than being in the UK.

Why do you have the cover over the pool? Ours is still warm but we are fortunate that the sun shines on it from morning to night.

Unfortunately a herd of goats passed by this morning and we must have a million turds decomposing in the sun and stinking us out. However it's still better than being in the UK.
    We find the cover adds 3 or 4 extra degrees, maybe more, than not having it, and Mrs P draws the line at 24/25 degrees C or below. If I leave the cover off for a couple of nights, sucks teeth and winces, . I suspect size of pool might also be a factor in the heating, cooling scenarios.

Goats, best admired from a distance certainly OR on a plate well cooked and seasoned!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I highly recommend these electric ‘throw/over blankets’ for warming beds, draping over your thighs in home office, or even over shoulders……..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

The double size is around 120w consumption and I use doubled up over my legs in the office rather than bunging on the heating. 20mins powered up is good for a couple of hours and you can warm your hands up along the way.

they are even washable.

When I was returning home after 4 nights away in winter (no house heating on apart from evening I came home) - I had it under the duvet and switched on for around 20 mins before going to bed, result - an ultra toasty bed!
    Wish they did a tiny one about 30x30xm just for hands! I would melt under a blanket with heating, I do with just a normal throw.

Thank you though, have ordered one for the wife which might save me wearing shorts in the lounge when the stove is on!

Goats, best admired from a distance certainly OR on a plate well cooked and seasoned!
    Best is their cheese on a Nairns super seeded oatcake with a rather large glass of rosso vino.

Love goats. Natures vacuum cleaners.

Best is their cheese on a Nairns super seeded oatcake with a rather large glass of rosso vino.

Love goats. Natures vacuum cleaners.
    Do enjoy their cheese, w´ bread, or crackers´, figs are nice too, and grilled with caramelised onions, yum.
    Last edited by Passenger; 13th October 2023 at 20:37.

Rain stopped and it has just dropped around 6 degC in the last hour.

Oh well, the Indian summer was nice while it lasted.

Master
    11 deg c here . Rains stopped. Fire pit and beers out :)

Master
    Do enjoy their cheese, w´ bread, or crackers´, figs are nice too, and grilled with caramelised onions, yum.
    You couldn't enjoy that lot, nice as it is, if you got a million turds ponging the place out.

You couldn't enjoy that lot, nice as it is, if you got a million turds ponging the place out.
    Don’t tell me you have never cupped one of your farts before. And quick to the nose.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Wish they did a tiny one about 30x30xm just for hands! I would melt under a blanket with heating, I do with just a normal throw.

Thank you though, have ordered one for the wife which might save me wearing shorts in the lounge when the stove is on!
    I should have elaborated - before I get in bed, I switch off the throw and whip it out from under the duvet.

When folded on my lap in my home office in winter - I just bung my hands under it every so often as my fingers get cold, but I find my knees ache pretty quickly without it.

I’m sure there are small heated pads available - possibly marketed for cat’s beds.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think I will be putting the heating on this afternoon as we are flying back to the UK from a very warm Murcia

Blog Entries
    Literally just switched it on 5 mins ago....first time since late March or very early April.

Got used to the milder weather for a long time, it's going to take some adjusting to the winter temps this year.

Not an easy one if your wife is menopausal...

Toasty warm in our house with no heating on yet. Triple glazed, huge amounts of insulation and very, very air-tight (the most important aspect).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by worldwidewebs View Post
    Toasty warm in our house with no heating on yet. Triple glazed, huge amounts of insulation and very, very air-tight (the most important aspect).
    Wouldn't work in our household - my wife needs to have "fresh" air - which means all the windows get opened, in every room, regardless of weather. I follow her round the house 5 mins later closing them all (you can guess who pays the energy bills).

Though in fairness, if we don't open the windows a little, we do tend to get more condensation.

Well I have actually put the heating on this morning, not because it was cold but figured it would be a good idea to test it. Glad I did, the central section of underfloor heating seems to have a stuck valve. Will need to get that sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
    Wouldn't work in our household - my wife needs to have "fresh" air - which means all the windows get opened, in every room, regardless of weather. I follow her round the house 5 mins later closing them all (you can guess who pays the energy bills).

Though in fairness, if we don't open the windows a little, we do tend to get more condensation.
    We have an MVHR so we have fresh air all the time, but I know what you mean. Actually, we also have the a couple of upstairs windows open at the moment but I do think it'll be time for them to be closed in the next week or so.

Master
    No, no, no, there is no heating going on till December. It's not even been cold yet.

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Mine is permanently set to 19 degrees in the hall and it comes one every morning at 5.30am for an hour or two but goes off after that.

Been out to football today and it was very chilly so I expect a bit more boiler action.

I can't stand being chilly or dressing up for a winter holiday - it costs what it costs.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Finally put ours on last night. It was Friday evening, worked all week and it was chilly. I just thought stuff it. I've worked all week and just want a bit of comfort.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've got a thousand quid in credit. Thought I'd treat myself tonight.