closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New PC or Xbox?

Master
    Blog Entries

New PC or Xbox?

My old MSI 290x lightning GPU has died after 10 years. Been a great card and has played all games I've wanted at 1080p. The only time it's struggled was with Hogwarts legacy.

Anyway with the price of GPU's these days anyone moved to consoles

Master
    I'm thinking of doing so for ms flightsim. X series

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    I'm thinking of doing so for ms flightsim. X series
    Never new flightsim was on Xbox. Don't you need a keyboard for that?

Saying that of course it is as I had it on game pass.

Only trouble with going console is I'll loose my steam library although it isn't huge.

Craftsman
    Secondhand Xbox and with the leftover cash a Steamdeck? 😀

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mutanthands View Post
    Secondhand Xbox and with the leftover cash a Steamdeck? 
    This is exactly one of my thoughts. With a decent laptop for pc uses.

Xbox series S is fairly unbeatable value. X is probably better for FlightSim.

I stacked a bunch of deals and got something like 3 years game pass ultimate for £70 - so you could always xcloud to a PC if desired.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

I had a few friends go to PC from their Xbox's and all have now come back, they constantly found themselves wanting to upgrade chasing performance, which just cost them a fortune.

I bought a gaming laptop to play Flight Sim on. - I'll hook it up to a Meta 3 headset. I also have Xbox Seues X, Switch and PS5.

A decent laptop/desktop plays the games to a far higher standard visually than the consoles but I don't find are as easily pick up and play.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    I had a few friends go to PC from their Xbox's and all have now come back, they constantly found themselves wanting to upgrade chasing performance, which just cost them a fortune.
    Yes when I first built my PC I was always looking to get better benchmarks etc. Thankfully got over that and was happy with my GPU as it played everything I wanted to.

Just not sure now which route to take. Building a PC again is going to take a load of research as I have forgotten most of what I learned building my last one. Also all them ££££

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I bought a gaming laptop to play Flight Sim on. - I'll hook it up to a Meta 3 headset. I also have Xbox Seues X, Switch and PS5.

A decent laptop/desktop plays the games to a far higher standard visually than the consoles but I don't find are as easily pick up and play.
    Been thinking of gaming laptops but feel your paying a massive premium for it. The same price on a PC is going to give way better performance I would of thought.

Did you say your selling the XSX? x)

I'd probably split the difference and go for one of these https://rog.asus.com/uk/gaming-handh...rog-ally-2023/. Better than a gaming laptop, less expensive than a new graphics card. Plus, it can be expanded to an external KVM with a USB-C hub.

Craftsman
    I have just spent £600 on a new motherboard and CPU - previously I was getting intermittent BSODs, but only when running memory dual channel in XMP. I eventually narrowed it down to the motherboard; at 5 years it was one of the oldest components in my build. Of course, I could no longer buy a new motherboard for my existing CPU, hence I had to buy both a new motherboard and CPU.

Then I spent all Sunday and a few hours on Monday rebuilding my PC. Plus another £40 for some more cables, cables ties and an internal USB hub.

Once you are on the PC upgrade train, it can be hard to get off. It is an interesting but sometimes expensive hobby, a bit like watches.

At least I will get a bit for the old CPU. I normally sell on eBay, as I don’t see many computer bits being sold in Sales Corner here.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by smashie View Post
    I'd probably split the difference and go for one of these https://rog.asus.com/uk/gaming-handh...rog-ally-2023/. Better than a gaming laptop, less expensive than a new graphics card. Plus, it can be expanded to an external KVM with a USB-C hub.
    I second this!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smashie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by guli View Post
    I second this!
    Had a quick look at this. Looks good but can't see how it's worth more than double of a steam deck? Could possibly get an Xbox X and a deck for same price.

Have you considered a secondhand GPU from ebay?

Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    I don’t see many computer bits being sold in Sales Corner here.
    I'd never considered looking here. Do you think there's a market?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Have you considered a secondhand GPU from ebay?
    Yes but my hole system is like 14year old tech. Ideally I need new mobo, CPU, ram etc. Also I have a big Corsair case in the corner of the living room which I would want to downsize so looking at complete new build.

Master
    This thread has reminded me I have a virtually unused gaming PC to sell. Sadly older gen now. Asus ROG STRIX z490-I gaming mini ITX mobo, i5 10400, 16Gb, GTX 1660, 512Gb SSD. Wrapped up in a neat little MSI mini ITX case I acquired and reused. Would that sell here dya reckon?

Master
    I’ve built probably well over 100 PCs ( including things like crypto farms with 13 gpus and 5 psus strapped together and high end images servers and graphics workstations) .

I game on an xbox series S ( it runs into a 65 panny oled and an arcam surround sound system) . 4k 120hz ( although I think the xbox is upscaling 1080p) And HDR implimentation in games along with colour standard calibration is woeful.

For general work I carry a 16inch macbook pro ( one model back but top spec) .

For hefty work I have a ryzen twin gpu ( 3090) with 128gb of ram , dual booting windows 11 pro and linux .

I’ve had big gaming rigs in earlier years ( most notably for counterstrike and battlefield 2 with force feedback joysticks for flight and left hand gaming oads fir first person shooters , watercooled all the crazy stuff).

I quite like building PCs ; setting up home cinema pcs to offer perfect 24, 23.976, 50, 71.928 , 72, 120 fps synced playback to multiple displays at 4k with retiming resampling and pitch shift options in real time , along with closed loop custom calibration software , upscaling and even analogue component caputer deinterlacing and upscaling for SD was all great fun.

But I don’t really game on PCs any more last time was Half Life Alyx on the rift ( which is genuinely amazing but so stressful I can only handle 30min sessions) .

I even built a raspberry pi retro gaming rig and a highish end audio streamer , so I really like the tech .

But for gaming I just find the Xbox ticks all the boxes without all the upgrading and configuration makarkey of a PC.
    Playstation I only really got to play The Last of Us and a bit of Uncharted , pretty much all the games I want to play are on the xbox . You can of course have hybrid PC gaming with the xbox as well.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Must admit I've never had much trouble playing games on pc regards configurations. Saying that I haven't played a lot of games I suppose.

What's this hybrid Xbox pc thing? Is it game pass ?

Really fancy a steam deck but I reckon an Xbox and a decent laptop maybe the way to go as the laptop is more versatile. I do like a good strategy game like company of heros which a laptop will be better for.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    Must admit I've never had much trouble playing games on pc regards configurations. Saying that I haven't played a lot of games I suppose.

What's this hybrid Xbox pc thing? Is it game pass ?

Really fancy a steam deck but I reckon an Xbox and a decent laptop maybe the way to go as the laptop is more versatile. I do like a good strategy game like company of heros which a laptop will be better for.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game...games?=pcgames

PC and xbox sides are not the same but a fair bit of crossover , I chat to my mate on xbox playing starfield while he plays on pc both through gamepass , similar on cyberpunk. we both share our friends and families account as well so shared games libraries. Its also quite handy to game remotely on an ipad sometimes.

For me, keyboard and mouse are far better than a controller, so I'm firmly PC Master Race.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Being brought up with ZX spectrum, megadrives , playstations Xboxes and PC for the past 10 years, I like both. Think you can use k&M on Xbox also.