closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Rolex service card bears no visible details . . .

Master

New Rolex service card bears no visible details . . .

Master
    I wonder if access to these details will disappear once the service warranty has expired ?

The days of watches with a sheaf of interesting service documents may be over.

I got the older style card with my service end of September, I believe the newer style card was introduced around the end of October.

From what I understand a new card is issued each time the watch is serviced so its possible the information will disappear once the warranty has expired.

Is that from now? It doesn't say but guess it must be.

I've got my Sub with St James at the moment and was looking forward to getting the card and paperwork when it's done.

They really are killing all the joy

Progress eh.
    I really despair at how everything is becoming more and more digital or online based.
    KISS and yet we are forever moving further way from that.

I would hope the new Guarantee cards to go this way too, and hopefully linked to owners details.

That could go some way to reduce the fake market, and watch theft could reduce if done properly.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I would hope the new Guarantee cards to go this way too, and hopefully linked to owners details.

That could go some way to reduce the fake market, and watch theft could reduce if done properly.
    As now, loose cards or papers that have become separated from their watches would be sold on eBay etc and the fakers just make a up a watch with apparently matching case number.

Many owners won't want their details retained or any hurdle to selling their watch in the future. Anyone who tried to sell a secondhand Breitling Emergency in the way it was required will remember that faff !

At least they haven't gone down the Blockchain route.

I can see the benefits to this but as others have said it's the end of getting a history with the watch.

Craftsman
    So basically it appears to be a fancy way to link to a web service run for/by Rolex that displays a record of the service.

Whilst this might be useful within the lifetime of the warranty, and I imagine makes it easier for ADs or Rolex themselves to look up details (which they probably already can by serial number, I assume) I don't see this service being maintained over the decades many watches, especially the more valuable pieces are around for. Having a history that can be reviewed in many years time is going to be a headache compared with a few bits of paper.

Maybe working in IT and seeing systems like this rot has just made me jaded, but I'm not convinced (not that we have any choice in the matter).

I suppose you could access the web page with all the details and print it out? Not quite the same and still means open season for fakers.

Craftsman
    This is a technological solution to a problem that doesn’t need solving - complete and utter pants.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

It's probably simpler and therefore of benefit to the majority of people who buy Rolex rather than to collectors and WIS. Most people I know throw boxes away along with out of date warranties etc. This applies to most things, not just watches. We are a very small part of all manufactures sales portfolios.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by stelmo01 View Post
    This is a technological solution to a problem that doesn’t need solving - complete and utter pants.
    Not sure I agree. It shows the service centre have a digital record of the service, much like modern cars have all their information online.
    Ultimately it's so Rolex control 100% of servicing, as third party servicing won't be recorded. One day Rolex, or Bucherer will be calling customers telling them their watch is due for a service and asking if they would like to book it in.

Whilst there's nothing wrong with scratching service dates in to the inside of a case back, it seems a bit old fashioned.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Looks fine to me.

Owners card / warranty card should go the same way.

Anything to try and limit theft and fakes helps.

Not sure I agree. It shows the service centre have a digital record of the service, much like modern cars have all their information online.
    Ultimately it's so Rolex control 100% of servicing, as third party servicing won't be recorded. One day Rolex, or Bucherer will be calling customers telling them their watch is due for a service and asking if they would like to book it in.

Whilst there's nothing wrong with scratching service dates in to the inside of a case back, it seems a bit old fashioned.
    Surely that would not be legal - much like the servicing of cars outside of the main dealer network?.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Surely that would not be legal - much like the servicing of cars outside of the main dealer network?.
    No, they're not stopping you from using independents. They just won't record an independent service on their system, same as now. If you call Rolex to see if your Submariner has had a service in the last 5 years they're not going to know if Duncan from Genesis has given it an overhaul.

No, they're not stopping you from using independents. They just won't record an independent service on their system, same as now. If you call Rolex to see if your Submariner has had a service in the last 5 years they're not going to know if Duncan from Genesis has given it an overhaul.
    Which, using my car analogy is not legal - Independents are legally allowed to service and record.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Anything to try and limit theft and fakes helps.
    How does such an e-card help ?

I've already posted above in this regard, but imagine the following also :

Giuseppe receives a diamond bezel Day-Date 18348 back from service. Within the hour, he swaps the genuine President bracelet for a 14k fake, he swaps the Rolex diamond bezel for an aftermarket one and finally, perhaps, he swaps the Rolex 3155 calibre for a doctored Rolex 3135 calibre from a stolen watch.

He then offers it for sale complete with Rolex service card that links to what some will consider a gloriously reassuring online record......of a very different watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Which, using my car analogy is not legal - Independents are legally allowed to service and record.
    I’m not sure it’s the same thing. One of the main purposes of car servicing yearly is to maintain the manufacturers warranty. Watches aren’t generally serviced until the warranty is expired. Like most things Rolex do now, I don’t like it, but why should they be responsible for maintaining a record of work done elsewhere? They surely shouldn’t be responsible for providing any sort of warranty for work done by independents. Not providing independents with the parts to do the work is on more dodgy ground.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post

Giuseppe receives a diamond bezel Day-Date 18348 back from service. Within the hour, he swaps the genuine President bracelet for a 14k fake, he swaps the Rolex diamond bezel for an aftermarket one and finally, perhaps, he swaps the Rolex 3155 calibre for a doctored Rolex 3135 calibre from a stolen watch.

He then offers it for sale complete with Rolex service card that links to what some will consider a gloriously reassuring online record......of a very different watch.
    Well I’m not sure any system will catch the above skullduggery.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post

Who is Giuseppe and why do you know him so well?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.