timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 336 of 363 FirstFirst ... 236286326334335336337338346 ... LastLast
Results 16,751 to 16,800 of 18105

Thread: More bike related stuff

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Bargain.

I've seen the Italian sellers on eBay and assumed that there would be VAT and customs and VAT on the customs and shipping, and estimated that the saving would be minimal. So I bought my Ohlins locally.

Did I mislead myself?
    Dunno, it was delivered by FedEx. So I won’t be to surprised if an import letter follows. There was nothing in the package.

If I do get an extra charge I’ll let you know.👍

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Dunno, it was delivered by FedEx. So I won’t be to surprised if an import letter follows. There was nothing in the package.

If I do get an extra charge I’ll let you know.
    In the past FedEx have required payment before releasing the package so I suspect you've got a bargain.

Master
    In the past FedEx have required payment before releasing the package so I suspect you've got a bargain.
    A guy on a bike forum I’m on bought some plastics from Italy - came by fedex - he said he received contact a couple of days later for vat and duty
    Fingers crossed for you

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    A guy on a bike forum I’m on bought some plastics from Italy - came by fedex - he said he received contact a couple of days later for vat and duty
    Fingers crossed for you
    I’ve had that multiple times too. It ain’t over till it’s over

Master
    I allowed extra for duty and VAT etc and it still came in well under the U.K. seller, so if I get an extra charge I’ll just pay and be happy😀

Master

Thumbs up Amazon seller scam

It may be me being stupid, but please have a look at this advert and tell me what you would expect to arrive.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/D-I-D-KM500...s%2C121&sr=8-2
    Last edited by Enoch; 14th December 2023 at 18:26.

Not seeing immediately- how that cuts the chain, and not entirely convinced that it would flare hollow-end rivets either.

Looks like all it does is press the new side plate on, over the new rivet plate?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Not seeing immediately- how that cuts the chain, and not entirely convinced that it would flare hollow-end rivets either.

Looks like all it does is press the new side plate on, over the new rivet plate?
    The tool itself works well, and I bought it based on reviews and YouTube videos, following my Sealey tool breaking on the very first time I used it.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=LrC6qtoL...X29YAWOddot9ma

Watched the video, and sure- it should work to place the side plate and expand the rivets - but price seems a bit excessive for what it does.

It doesn't cut the chain, that's for sure.

*What is the thrust of the original title - "Amazon seller scam" ? *

I always check that the side linkplates are the same separation as the fixed links - using a vernier.

When you go to fit a new chain - have an additional masterlink available - just in case.
    Last edited by blackal; 5th December 2023 at 12:47.

Master
    No it doesn’t cut the chain… it pushes the pins out allowing the chain to be split…

The scam is that the part ringed in the photo below is all that was received. Based on the advert I thought I was buying the complete tool, but only the pin was delivered. And annoyingly I bought 2 tools as my mate wanted one as well, so I got scammed twice. I’ve returned them at a cost of £20 quid cos they came from the USA.

Ah - I see now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    No it doesn’t cut the chain… it pushes the pins out allowing the chain to be split…

The scam is that the part ringed in the photo below is all that was received. Based on the advert I thought I was buying the complete tool, but only the pin was delivered. And annoyingly I bought 2 tools as my mate wanted one as well, so I got scammed twice. I’ve returned them at a cost of £20 quid cos they came from the USA.

That would have caught me all day long. I would have expected the carrier pin and the plastic case. Defo misleading advertising

It says the case is included and the weight is 227g. If that is not what is received then it’s mis selling at its best. The two reviews are also positive and indicate that the whole tool was received.

Out of interest, what did the seller say!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Out of interest, what did the seller say!
    Nothing, it’s the wife’s amazon account so she just did an online return, which they authorise using a barcode that you print off..

I should have known that it was to good to be true as all other sellers were well over £100, and some as much as £160, so when I saw it at £54 I thought it was a genuine amazon bargain.. Live and learn

I managed to get one from M&P for £89 in there Black Friday sale. There are lots of copies and fakes on eBay etc but I wanted the genuine DID one.

This is what you should have received.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    That’s what I and my mate thought we were getting…. Instead we got this. And I thought amazon was pretty good, but this has certainly changed my view. It’s blatant false advertising.👎

The DID chain tool is one of the best available.
    Only better one that I'm aware of is the WHALE. (Easy to piegn over hard rivet links)

Master
    Bargain.

I've seen the Italian sellers on eBay and assumed that there would be VAT and customs and VAT on the customs and shipping, and estimated that the saving would be minimal. So I bought my Ohlins locally.

Did I mislead myself?
    Ebay automatically add the vat from most countries now. I saw something from India and the listing stated there was 20% vat on top, so if it's not mentioned then you probably won't have to pay it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    Ebay automatically add the vat from most countries now. I saw something from India and the listing stated there was 20% vat on top, so if it's not mentioned then you probably won't have to pay it.
    How does paying the VAT to eBay work? eBay doesn’t usually handle the delivery.

Curious as I’ve just bought something from abroad on there..

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    How does paying the VAT to eBay work? eBay doesn’t usually handle the delivery.

Curious as I’ve just bought something from abroad on there..
    EBay handles the cash though, the amount you pay doesn’t all go to the buyer. EBay take any charges and their fees off first and pay the net amount back to the seller.

Here’s an example of a recent sale I made recently.

Master

New Triumph Thruxton spotted

And before Tony gets too excited its a variation on the 400 cc single cylinder Bajaj cooperation. Details in today’s MCN , no doubt on Triumph forums already.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    And before Tony gets too excited its a variation on the 400 cc single cylinder Bajaj cooperation. Details in today’s MCN , no doubt on Triumph forums already.

Steve
    https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/...spied-testing/

Steve
    What the... oh.

Master
    Thanks for that ^^^ :)

Master
    Had a FedEx bill today £94.. so even with that the Ohlins was around £160 less than the U.K. seller👍

Hardknott Pass

Decided that I'm definitely going to do the Wrynose and Hardknott passes next spring/summer... I'm pretty sure the Bonnie, with it's low-down grunt, would be perfect for it. Anyone else interested in making it a TZ ride-out?
    Last edited by learningtofly; 7th December 2023 at 10:01.

Any recommendations for a tea stop in or near Hunmanby? I can see there are loos near the beach, but Google says the Beach Cafes are closed atm.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Decided that I'm definitely going to do the Wrynose and Hardknott passes next spring/summer... I'm pretty sure the Bonnie, with it's low-down grunt, would be perfect for it. Anyone else interested in making it a TZ ride-out?
    Pencil me in (depending on date and other commitments). I've done them in both directions on a 'bike' before but I was pedalling.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Pencil me in (depending on date and other commitments). I've done them in both directions on a 'bike' before but I was pedalling.
    Excellent. I’ll start a thread nearer the time.

Master
    Tony , out of interest have you put “ Hardknot pass motorcycle” into You tube yet?

The results aint pretty! At a risk of egg sucking Hardnot and Wrynose are like many alpine hairpins. As long as you get a clean run at them and its “dry” you can swing through them with enthusiasm. If another vehicle in front stops or changes speed quickly it can all go Pete Tong quickly.

Steve

Tony , out of interest have you put “ Hardknot pass motorcycle” into You tube yet?

The results aint pretty! At a risk of egg sucking Hardnot and Wrynose are like many alpine hairpins. As long as you get a clean run at them and its “dry” you can swing through them with enthusiasm. If another vehicle in front stops or changes speed quickly it can all go Pete Tong quickly.

Steve
    Yes, I’ve watched dozens of YouTube videos (which is why I fancy doing it). Do you think that – as a group ride – it’s too much of a risk?

Count me in for hardknott and wrynose if I can fit it in.

It's a nice ride and I've done it several times, including 2-up on my old R80RT with a fully laden camping trailer bouncing about behind.

There are one or two awkward corners where you do need to pay attention but most of it is really plain sailing.

Of course, if you're making a YouTube video and after clicks you'll perhaps overstate the challenge and peril :-)

Master
    Yes, I’ve watched dozens of YouTube videos (which is why I fancy doing it). Do you think that – as a group ride – it’s too much of a risk?

T, I ll start by saying Ive not ridden it only driven it in a car.

The last ride I did through hairpins was the Italian French and Swiss passes went without a hitch as long as no one stopped in front of us. A few early corners were really sketchy as car drivers would slow right down or even stop to make the turn. Under these conditions on a bike the camber isnt just wrong , the ground is about a foot below your foot if that makes sense.

We solved this by pulling in on the straights, waiting for a gap and then “ going for it” I was two up three weeks luggage on an 800cc so not point and squirt material.

As you initially commented on the Bonnie, torque is the answer roll in and sweep through on a steady throttle. When this happens its nirvana on a bike.

It will be interesting to see what Lancashire/ Cumbrian members chip in as they will ride it more often than us.
    Last edited by higham5; 9th December 2023 at 10:30.

Count me in for hardknott and wrynose if I can fit it in.

It's a nice ride and I've done it several times, including 2-up on my old R80RT with a fully laden camping trailer bouncing about behind.

There are one or two awkward corners where you do need to pay attention but most of it is really plain sailing.

Of course, if you're making a YouTube video and after clicks you'll perhaps overstate the challenge and peril :-)
    Thanks Ian, and those were my thoughts as well (i.e. just a couple of bends where an extra challenge is presented, and otherwise reasonably straightforward subject to traffic). Impressed that you did it two-up with a fully-laden bike, though.

T, I ll start by saying Ive not ridden it only driven it in a car.

The last ride I did through hairpins was the Italian French and Swiss passes went without a hitch as long as no one stopped in front of us. A few early corners were really sketchy as car drivers would slow right down or even stop to make the turn. Under these conditions on a bike the camber isnt just wrong , the ground is about a foot below your foot if that makes sense.

We solved this by pulling in on the straights, waiting for a gap and then “ going for it” I was two up three weeks luggage on an 800cc so not point and squirt material.

As you initially commented on the Bonnie, torque is the answer roll in and sweep through on a steady throttle. When this happens its nirvana on a bike.

It will be interesting to see what Lancashire/ Cumbrian members chip in as they will ride it more often than us.
    Noted, Steve, and also curious to see responses from some locals!

Craftsman

More bike related stuff

I’ve been riding the Lake District passes since I was a teenager, which sadly was long before You Tube came along. Perhaps it is familiarity with the roads and landscape, but I have never thought of them as risky. As others have said, the key is to keep moving and look well ahead to time your run in to the corners so that it’s clear when you get there. If you see a car, bike, or cyclist, slow down or stop on an easy bit to let them clear the corner before you arrive. On the bends themselves, choose the less steep line which is usually the outside of the bend and look through the corner to the exit, not at the road a foot in front of you. Stay in a low gear and keep the throttle steady and smooth.
    I’d happily ride over and meet for a coffee if I’m off.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Once over the other side, Wastwater is always Well worth a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post
    I’ve been riding the Lake District passes since I was a teenager, which sadly was long before You Tube came along. Perhaps it is familiarity with the roads and landscape, but I have never thought of them as risky. As others have said, the key is to keep moving and look well ahead to time your run in to the corners so that it’s clear when you get there. If you see a car, bike, or cyclist, slow down or stop on an easy bit to let them clear the corner before you arrive. On the bends themselves, choose the less steep line which is usually the outside of the bend and look through the corner to the exit, not at the road a foot in front of you. Stay in a low gear and keep the throttle steady and smooth.
    That's basically - it.

There are a few hairpins in UK where the inside line is really hazardous and you really need to make sure you have an clear exit to stay clear of the inside.

I also hold back on approach to ferry ramps to make sure I have lots of time/space to react if someone brakes (or falls). On an internal ramp (usually steeper than the loading ramps) I wait until the bike in front has cleared the ramp before going down.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyf View Post

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Excellent, thanks :)

Master
    I've been over Hardknott/Wrynose a couple of times on the bike. Two journeys that were quite different. One was fairly straightforward and the other was challenging in places. The difference was down to oncoming traffic.

Compared to a lot of the other passes, Hardknott is steeper, narrower and has a crappier road surface. There are a few tight bends with a significant lack of forward view, and that's where it can be interesting if you meet oncoming traffic - because momentum is key.

It's a good challenge though, and if it fits, I'll be up for a TZ ride over there.

Master

Electric bike real world ownership

Cracking review here by Alison from MCN of living with a Zero bike.

I test rode one of these in the summer, it has bonkers acceleration and was simplicity to ride being twist and go, but £23k was a bit salty for an early adopter.

https://youtu.be/Zpvlzs-mAnA?si=uW054geEhpqRFYVa

More bike related stuff

Cracking review here by Alison from MCN of living with a Zero bike.

I test rode one of these in the summer, it has bonkers acceleration and was simplicity to ride being twist and go, but £23k was a bit salty for an early adopter.

https://youtu.be/Zpvlzs-mAnA?si=uW054geEhpqRFYVa
    I’m watching this one on eBay st a more realistic price tag.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255731434...mis&media=COPY

I test rode the Harley Davidson Livewire a couple of years back and was blown away. At £28k, it was too rich for me. The Livewire 1 which is the same bike, is £22k but still too much for me to consider.

I’d happily buy one at the right price but I’d still be concerned about storing it over winter.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 9th December 2023 at 16:37.

Master
    [QUOTE=Dave+63;6317806]I’m watching this one on eBay st a more realistic price tag.

I test rode the Harley Davidson Livewire a couple of years back and was blown away. At £28k, it was too rich for me. The Livewire 1 which is the same bike, is £22k but still too much for me to consider.

I’d happily bug one at the right price but I’d still be concerned about storing it over winter.[/

Dave hasn’t Livewire gone bust? It was spun out of Harley then I understood orders were just rolling in for the Cafe del mar ? Cheaper version and the business folded.

The ebay link is just like the one I test rode at J&S in the summer. They used a 5/6 mile loop. You set off in eco , that speed limited to 72 mph from memory and very heavy regen braking ( no need to brake at all). The leader then stopped in a layby switched the bike to sport and then said, let me go ahead and you catch me up.

Sport mode or rather “warp drive” has more torque than a Busa. Its so rapid and with no gear shifting its relentless. No engine braking either.

The handling was neutral, I certainly noticed the crashing and rattling over bumps which you notice more because everything else is so quiet, but the stomp when you twist that throttle is something else.
    Last edited by higham5; 9th December 2023 at 16:34.

More bike related stuff

[QUOTE=higham5;6317860]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I’m watching this one on eBay st a more realistic price tag.

I’d happily buy one at the right price but I’d still be concerned about storing it over winter.[/

Dave hasn’t Livewire gone bust? It was spun out of Harley then I understood orders were just rolling in for the Cafe del mar ? Cheaper version and the business folded.

That’s the first I’ve heard of it but it would be a shame if it has.

I had the Livewire for a couple of hours on my own. I didn’t bother with high regen, just ran it in performance mode. Like you say, the torque and acceleration is phenomenal.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 9th December 2023 at 16:38.

The Rosedale Chimney Bank can also be a bit of a challenge (I think it is also claimed to be the steepest road in UK):
    p.s. it's not me on any of the bikes ;)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzccKz5NZ64

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    The Rosedale Chimney Bank can also be a bit of a challenge (I think it is also claimed to be the steepest road in UK):
    Oh dear

When trying to find a decent old photo of the now destroyed chimney that gave the Chimney Bank its name, I came across this fellow

Now that's how you smoke

Master
    [QUOTE=Dave+63;6317866]

That’s the first I’ve heard of it but it would be a shame if it has.

I had the Livewire for a couple of hours on my own. I didn’t bother with high regen, just ran it in performance mode. Like you say, the torque and acceleration is phenomenal.
    Dave , just checked , no reference to closure so maybe it was a spurious rumour I picked up. Its the S2 Del mar thats the more sensibly priced model due Q1 2024. £17 k look nice

https://www.livewire.com/en-gb

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    Thats what I was trying to explain on the hairpins your inside foot is a long way from the ground due to the camber, and of course thats the way the bike wants to go ;)

Thats what I was trying to explain on the hairpins your inside foot is a long way from the ground due to the camber, and of course thats the way the bike wants to go ;)
    Absolutely.
    As usual, the camera doesn't capture how steep the road is, but the fact that the second bike slid down the slope while on its side gives a clue.