closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko 'King Sumo' - talk me out of it

Seiko 'King Sumo' - talk me out of it

My resolve is crumbling at the moment - I've fancied the latest PADI version of the King Sumo (SPB325J1) ever since it came out ~18 months ago:

...and I only really have one objection to it: the pad-printed indices, rather than applied.

Size is the max I'm comfortable with at 45x13mm, though all the Seikos I've tried so far wear smaller anyway.

Lack of a bracelet is NP, as I've only ever found one that's truly comfy so wouldn't wear it, and the 'X' logo is of no concern to me.

Other than that, the spec is good - inexpensive movement so easier to get serviced, hardened steel case, sapphire crystal, ceramic bezel, and wonderfully legible, with an inoffensive handset (unlike too-many Seikos...).

I can pick one up for £675 at the moment (vs.£990 retail) - unless anyone knows of a better deal?

Your thoughts would be appreciated gentlemen

Craftsman
    I like the dial and I think the blue is a nice touch. But if it's 45mm diameter, I'm assuming you don't have a problem with the corresponding thickness and weight of the watch?

If the model pictured is the actual watch you're thinking of buying, then that bezel looks slightly out, to my eye.

If none of the above bother you, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't just buy it. Good price below retail too.

I like it, its a handsome watch, however…

Quote Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
    If the model pictured is the actual watch you're thinking of buying, then that bezel looks slightly out, to my eye.
    the usual Seiko QC issues are prevalent on the model based on that picture so I would want to make sure the one I bought is spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
    I like the dial and I think the blue is a nice touch. But if it's 45mm diameter, I'm assuming you don't have a problem with the corresponding thickness and weight of the watch?

If none of the above bother you, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't just buy it. Good price below retail too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I like it, its a handsome watch, however…

the usual Seiko QC issues are prevalent on the model based on that picture so I would want to make sure the one I bought is spot on.
    Assuming it’s a 120-click bezel it’s just not been aligned properly.

Thanks for your thoughts chaps.

Good point about Seiko's QC issues. I'd be purchasing new from an official dealer, so will have the option to return if unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Assuming it’s a 120-click bezel it’s just not been aligned properly.
    I was referring more to the lume pip not being central in the triangle or the hole it is supposed to sit in.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I was referring more to the lume pip not being central in the triangle or the hole it is supposed to sit in.

This seems to be an issue with a lot of watches, including some pricey midfield brands, but not least Seiko.

I could live with the example pictured, but it betokens a concerning disregard for QA during product development and production.

That is a lovely watch. I’ll be wearing my Samurai today to try and scratch the big Seiko diver itch you’ve given me but also in honour of wonky bezels:

Interested by you saying you could live with that bezel alignment. I paid a fraction of the King Sumo RRP for this and the bezel still niggles me from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryb View Post
    ... Interested by you saying you could live with that bezel alignment. I paid a fraction of the King Sumo RRP for this and the bezel still niggles me from time to time.
    Purely down to bad eyesight, so I know I'm not going to notice it... Plus it's pretty much the price-of-admission to Seiko ownership it seems. They really should sort their QA-sh!t out!!!