closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Import tax from Japan

Craftsman

Import tax from Japan

Hi guys,

Has anyone bought a grand seiko from chrono24 from a Japanese dealer?

I'm looking at a GS that retails at £9400 in the UK, the same watch from Japan on Chrono24 is £6100!

Does anyone know how much the import charges will cost me on this purchase please?

Many thanks,

Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by smalltime View Post
    Hi guys,

Has anyone bought a grand seiko from chrono24 from a Japanese dealer?

I'm looking at a GS that retails at £9400 in the UK, the same watch from Japan on Chrono24 is £6100!

Does anyone know how much the import charges will cost me on this purchase please?

Many thanks,

Dan.
    20% plus probably £30 handling charges from the courier

Craftsman
    Thanks Ryan, how is this paid please? This works out far cheaper than buying in the UK!!

They will ship it with a waybill on outside showing price paid in Yen

Customs will convert inform carrier of amount and the carrier will either call you to pay or send you an online link to pay

You can track shipment which mainly come in through EMA

quite straightforward normally

Craftsman
    Thanks mate, I wonder if any GS dealers would offer over 20% discount on the new suwa lake? If not then importing from Japan is certainly the way to go.

Thanks mate, I wonder if any GS dealers would offer over 20% discount on the new suwa lake? If not then importing from Japan is certainly the way to go.
    Here’s a potential option for you:

https://watchesofmayfair.com/brand/g...-40-mm-slga019

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Careful that you don't mix two watches up. There is a "Suwa Lake" and a "Lake Suwa before dawn". The former is titanium at the price you have mentioned in the UK, the latter is a stainless steel watch at less than £9k. Wouldn't want you to mix the two up if you're importing.
    Last edited by theancientmariner; 8th January 2024 at 17:51.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    Careful that you don't mix two watches up. There is a "Suwa Lake" and a "Lake Suwa before dawn". The former is titanium at the price you have mentioned in the UK, the latter is a stainless steel watch at less than £9k. Wouldn't want you to mix the two up if you're importing.
    Hi,

Yes thanks it is most definitely the latest titanium model that I am interested in, one of the nicest watches on the market currently in my opinion 😀

Always bear in mind the PITA if you need/want to return it for any reason, e.g. filling in HMRC forms to claim back the VAT paid, mailing the watch back to Japan with full value insurance, communicating with C24 or the dealer.

I know I wouldn't bother, but I'm quite risk adverse.

I bought an SBGN003 from a Hiroshima based dealer on Chrono24 in September. Paid on Sunday, shipped on Monday, arrived Wednesday. I paid the FedEx import bill of 20% plus a small handling charge before delivery. 5 year warranty activated the day of shipping.

It was seamless, and I would do it again.

A small thing to note is that the GS9 clubs are region locked to the point of sale, so I don’t get to go to UK exclusive events. Japan is another matter!

D

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    I bought an SBGN003 from a Hiroshima based dealer on Chrono24 in September. Paid on Sunday, shipped on Monday, arrived Wednesday. I paid the FedEx import bill of 20% plus a small handling charge before delivery. 5 year warranty activated the day of shipping.

It was seamless, and I would do it again.

A small thing to note is that the GS9 clubs are region locked to the point of sale, so I don’t get to go to UK exclusive events. Japan is another matter!

D

When paying did you pay in GBP or Yen? Was looking at some Japanese dealers on Chrono24 today but unsure as I’ve never used the site before. Definitely seems to be a good saving on Grand Seiko’s.

GBP

D

GBP

D

Thank you, is there a currency conversion rate to factor in or is the price you pay in GBP the final price (excluding VAT and handling fee)? Apologies for the questions, as I said, never used Chrono24 before.

Chrono24 asked for GBP, so they did the conversion. I would have been happy with Yen, but I didn’t have that option. The only extra was the import charge, 20% plus a very small handling charge by FedEx.

My fourth purchase from Chrono24, and they have all been very efficient

D

Chrono24 asked for GBP, so they did the conversion. I would have been happy with Yen, but I didn’t have that option. The only extra was the import charge, 20% plus a very small handling charge by FedEx.

My fourth purchase from Chrono24, and they have all been very efficient

D

Brilliant. Thanks for your help.