closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Birmingham Watch Fair.

Grand Master

Birmingham Watch Fair.

Considering going with a friend next Sunday.Never been but I see mention of cash only!.So if I see something I like surely the seller will do BT on his mobile?.
    May consider taking a few to trade or sell.

Anyone here going.

It may have changed since but I went years ago (probably 2014ish thinking about it). I bought a vintage Omega Geneve from one of the dealers. Cash only and no exeptions.

Craftsman
    Cash only because they’re mostly dodge pots 😀 flying under the radar. That’s how it was the couple of times I’ve been. Get into the cafe and the number of fakes and dodgy stuff being traded in there is an eye opener.

Neil

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    It may have changed since but I went years ago (probably 2014ish thinking about it). I bought a vintage Omega Geneve from one of the dealers. Cash only and no exeptions.
    Seems odd when BT is so much easier.How the Hell do you decide on how much cash to take!.
    Yes easy if your head is set on 1 watch and 1 watch only,and so you take a tad more than the average price of the watch you are looking for.
    A muggers perfect place.Might not bother going knowing this as I wont take watches and thousands in cash on the liklihood I see something Id like.

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Seems odd when BT is so much easier.How the Hell do you decide on how much cash to take!.
    Yes easy if your head is set on 1 watch and 1 watch only,and so you take a tad more than the average price of the watch you are looking for.
    A muggers perfect place.Might not bother going knowing this as I wont take watches and thousands in cash on the liklihood I see something Id like.
    I agree. I did see some bloke pull a wadd of notes out of a rucksack to pay for something. Most odd. No real interest in going back again although you do at least get to see and try on stuff upclose and in person.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Cash only because they’re mostly dodge pots  flying under the radar. That’s how it was the couple of times I’ve been. Get into the cafe and the number of fakes and dodgy stuff being traded in there is an eye opener.

Neil
    IMO they are missing out on those who will go because of the interest we have in watches,but not prepared to take cash.
    Pathetic in the year 2024 to not go digital too!.
    Obviously not wanting visibility in their bank account and so move around at the fair buying more watches with the cash they've already taken on the day.

Master
    I've stood a couple of antique and collectors fairs with jewellery and despite it being touted as cash only, loads of the legit dealers have card machines or BACS capability just to do an online transfer. Its also a good place to trade, if you have anything to chop in.

Grand Master
    If I go Ill take a few along to perhaps trade.....not much sells on here now!!.
    As you say Kev I think they will have BT option too.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by P9CLY; 8th January 2024 at 12:00.

Craftsman
    Surely online bank transfer in front of seller is acceptable nowadays?

I have had a table with friends many times at The Motorcycle Museum over the years.

For me it was really good four/five/six years ago, lots of visitors and many flew in from Europe and further afield, I have sold a few hundred vintage Seiko there, I never used to ask the same price or get the same price (often 50% less) I would have got on the forums or ebay but a better way to sell (IMO) buyer looks, checks, barters, price agreed, cash paid and walks away, no buyers remorse, no postage delays etc, easy and stress free.

Every buyer is looking for a bargain and most sellers want top dollar :)

We always did cash only unless it was someone we knew and then it could be paypal or BT.

We found the last couple of years to be a waste of time but still some big wads of cash changes hands for the right watch/buyer/seller.

I've seen a few fakes there but generally pointed out as fakes and no deceptions going on that i've seen but thats not saying it doesn't/couldn't happen.

Grand Master
    So as someone just popping along with a few watches to trade/swap or sell......
    It was mentioned deals are done over a coffee in the cafe.
    Will there be others like myself & friend able to find each other to show what we have.
    Or am I looking at the dealers insulting lowball offer.Which I obviously will politely say let me have a think and get back to you at 15:00 hrs . I'm only going as my friend is a watch repairer and typically wants repairable stuff.But if Im going I just thought why not take a few along to reduce the collection.........hopefully/possibly.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 11th January 2024 at 18:42.

Generally there are a few members of the public doing the rounds with a bag with goodies in them, they will offer/show dealers and other members of the public will be watching you and the dealer and sometimes start chatting you up for trades/sales etc if you don't sell/trade to the dealer, sometimes it works out and others not but unless you have something a bit special (or very cheap) it can be hard :)

I doubt dealers will ever offer you top dollar as they have to make a living.

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    Far from it. Cash is cash, one to one easy transaction. For BT, I have set up every new payee on my home computer before I can pay them using my mobile phone. Of course, if I was using fingerprint or facial recognition and had a phone that would accept it I wouldn't need to but I and many others, don't.

As for how much cash to take - as much as you're likely to need. Most people have a budget in mind, stick to it.

I think it's odd that traders wouldn't set themselves up for debit (not credit - too much risk) card purchases and may be bank transfer (they may not have direct access to their bank account at a show to check deposits) but I also wholly understand their wish to keep cash on the go.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    Generally there are a few members of the public doing the rounds with a bag with goodies in them, they will offer/show dealers and other members of the public will be watching you and the dealer and sometimes start chatting you up for trades/sales etc if you don't sell/trade to the dealer, sometimes it works out and others not but unless you have something a bit special (or very cheap) it can be hard :)

I doubt dealers will ever offer you top dollar as they have to make a living.
    Thanks for this.Ill be taking a few along but don't expect anything favorable from any dealers,even tho what I want would give a profit having looked around at dealer prices.