closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 341 of 363 FirstFirst ... 241291331339340341342343351 ... LastLast
Results 17,001 to 17,050 of 18122

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    This youtube vlogger LNR is particularly good for her vids, photography and drone footage - and this week's depicts exactly why I try to get down to the Provence Haut Alpes every year.................

The weather, scenery and roads are without peer.

Roll on June !!!!

I've enjoyed her latest/current series.

Master
    This youtube vlogger LNR is particularly good for her vids, photography and drone footage - and this week's depicts exactly why I try to get down to the Provence Haut Alpes every year.................

The weather, scenery and roads are without peer.

Roll on June !!!!
    ]
    Great video , thanks for posting , I particularly like the way she choses to revisit some of the peaks in the evening. The light ( instead of being flat) brings out the colour and majesty of those peaks.

Thats it you have motivated me to dig out my Michelin maps and ponder on a tour ;)

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Great video , thanks for posting , I particularly like the way she choses to revisit some of the peaks in the evening. The light ( instead of being flat) brings out the colour and majesty of those peaks.

Thats it you have motivated me to dig out my Michelin maps and ponder on a tour ;)
    A touring pal and I have agreed - those shots and vids of the peaks and ranges are probably the best we have ever seen.

I've been intending, once I've a full licence, to get a CB500F (about to be called the CB500 Hornet) (ugh)

The CB500X (about to be called the NX500) is very similar but has higher ground clearance / centre of gravity, 19" front wheel and apparently slightly different gearing. So, higher seat, more upright position.

I know that the bigger wheel and the higher clearance are beneficial when going off-road. Are there any on-road situations where they are beneficial? Say, on crappy little lanes going up and down 1 in 4 slopes?

I can see how a more upright position is helpful on descents. And I am thinking right that the different gearing would be helpful when going up steep roads? But a higher centre of gravity makes me think, this bike is easier to drop if I mess up.

Master
    ^^^ Both bikes will be easy to ride and will handle everything you can throw at them on road. I reckon the 500X will be more comfortable for longer rides, due to the more upright position and better wind protection. As for the likelihood of dropping the bike, I think it depends a bit on you. If you're tall enough the CB500X is not a particularly heavy bike.

I'd vote CB500X - but then I have (generally speaking) a significant preference for "adventure" style bikes.

Might be worth considering the Triumph Tiger 660 triple too, if an adv style bike is the preference..

I have fond memories from my own NX, a single cylinder 650 "Dominator". The only bike I ever bought from new.
    Riding position is ideal. This ones seems to have a much better wind protection than mine used to have.
    I'd go for that one as well
    As for off road, unless you have more suitable tyres I would approach with the utmost caution with either bike. Unless you consider the state of our roads in which case the NX will probably cope better with a rain filled hidden pothole (still a major hazard, though).
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Cheers. My preference is for the naked bike, but I just want to be sure that I'm not overlooking something that would be more suitable at the moments when I'm going to be most tested. Standard internet search wisdom is that the benefits of the 19" wheel etc only kick in once you go off road, but I fancied getting a second opinion from people used to these particular conditions (edit: I'll never be going off-road)

I'm 5'11" so height isn't a factor (I've sat on both) but I do prefer the feeling of the low centre of gravity. On the other hand, my 125 has a seat height closer to the X than the F, and I like it up there. Weirdly I quite like the lack of wind protection: getting smacked about by the weather is all part of the appeal for me

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I've been intending, once I've a full licence, to get a CB500F (about to be called the CB500 Hornet) (ugh)

The CB500X (about to be called the NX500) is very similar but has higher ground clearance / centre of gravity, 19" front wheel and apparently slightly different gearing. So, higher seat, more upright position.

I know that the bigger wheel and the higher clearance are beneficial when going off-road. Are there any on-road situations where they are beneficial? Say, on crappy little lanes going up and down 1 in 4 slopes?

I can see how a more upright position is helpful on descents. And I am thinking right that the different gearing would be helpful when going up steep roads? But a higher centre of gravity makes me think, this bike is easier to drop if I mess up.

You will be ready for a full-size bike by then. Don't bother with a 500, it will quickly frustrate and cost you money to go through that transition.

Test several bikes, and given your apparent penchant for travel.............. try the likes of Tiger 800/900, Tracer 900 GT and the likes. Both fantastic bikes that perform and handle serious luggage - well.

My recommendation: Tracer GT

Master
    Adventure bikes have a strong following even if you dont take them off road. I personally ride a F700gs and find the upright position suits me as I can get a good view of the road and other users ahead. Some testers comment that a 19” front wheel gives more vague steering than a 17”. I have to confess I jump on my 17” wheeled Ktm and I dont notice the wheels, I do notice the 60kg weight difference!

Looking at the descriptions of your recent thousand mile rides I think you would gel nicely with an adventure style bike.

Steve

Just saw the comment on gearing, adventure bikes usually have one tooth less on the engine sprocket. The effect is more sprightly acceleration which 99% of people notice. The trade off being a slightly reduced top speed which 95 % of folk will never experience.

One thing to be aware is rufty tufty Adventure bikes often come with 80/20 tyres eg 80% road but with a “ bit” of off road potential. This can lead to a noiser ride and ultimately not the same corner scraping performances of a full road tyre.

I use Continental trail attack 3 tyres,they look and handle just like road tyres.

In all the above Im talking about Adventure bikes not the difference between the two 500’s you have listed.

Al makes a valid point above about not limiting yourself to 500cc, the best advice will always be sit on as many bikes as you can then test ride at least three different ones, otherwise you will end up like most of us on here , changing our bikes every eighteen months to two years ;)
    Last edited by higham5; 4th January 2024 at 20:38.

Master
    Must admit it’s nice to be sat up above most things with a good view
    Not seen a bit of dirt but great on the tarmac
    Untitled by biglewie, on Flickr

...this bike is easier to drop if I mess up.
    You will be ready for a full-size bike by then. Don't bother with a 500, it will quickly frustrate and cost you money to go through that transition.
    Test several bikes, and given your apparent penchant for travel.............. try the likes of Tiger 800/900, Tracer 900 GT and the likes. Both fantastic bikes that perform and handle serious luggage - well.
    My recommendation: Tracer GT
    I rented a CB500X in Fuerteventura in November and had a good three days on it. It was fun in a 'more fun riding a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow' kind of way but if I'd had it for much more than 3 days I would have got bored with it. There were a few occasions on the fun roads when I was overtaking and it could have done with a bit more 'hurry up' and when I'd finished with the fun roads and was on my way back on the one motorway on Fuerteventura it was definitely lacking. There's no way I'd buy one to ride regularly, certainly not as an only bike.

(for reference my bikes aren't massive beasts, a 500 single scrambler (that's actually a 450) and a 650 twin (ER6F))

Master

You really are spoiled for choice in the middle range category, like others have suggested, I wouldn’t restrict myself to just the 2 bikes you’ve listed. It’s well worth spending a few weekends taking test rides. Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha all have some lovely candidates for the newly qualified rider. And you also have some European offerings from the likes of KTM, Triumph and BMW..

TMF on the Hardknott...

Had to laugh... some classic sound effects as he negotiated gradients and hairpins

Each to their own but I'd be looking at pre-owned Street Triples, unless the insurance was MUCH more expensive.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Each to their own but I'd be looking at pre-owned Street Triples, unless the insurance was MUCH more expensive.
    or an MT07 or 09

Tracer 9 GT got a great write up in current Bike magazine. I'm almost tempted to swap my GS for one!

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I have fond memories from my own NX, a single cylinder 650 "Dominator". The only bike I ever bought from new.
    Riding position is ideal. This ones seems to have a much better wind protection than mine used to have.
    I'd go for that one as well
    As for off road, unless you have more suitable tyres I would approach with the utmost caution with either bike. Unless you consider the state of our roads in which case the NX will probably cope better with a rain filled hidden pothole (still a major hazard, though).
    Like you, I have very fond memories of the NX650. I bought one new in 2002 after I had had enough of sports bikes, I rediscovered the enjoyment of trundling about and enjoying the views. Unfortunately it was the last bike I had as I had to give it up due to illness, I miss it enormously.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by oliverte View Post
    Tracer 9 GT got a great write up in current Bike magazine. I'm almost tempted to swap my GS for one!
    I'm a big fan, and for one-up touring - might make more sense (lighter, nimbler, 17" road wheels etc), but I wouldn't have one for 2-up touring (with full luggage).

I took my R-1 about 35 miles for a service a few years ago, and got an impromptu test ride on the Tracer GT............... Well impressed with the engine!

i know a couple of ppl with the tracer 9 - fantastic bikes if you are looking for a midweight upright bike , if you are not bothered about touring and want something to rag on a sunday the MT09 is a great bit of kit and has all the bells and whistles you will every need (up/down quickshifter etc ).
    lots to choose from these days , as already mentioned the street triple is also a fantastic midweight bike.

if i had just passed my test the above 2 (MT09+street triple) would be my 2 choices depending how bad my back was - the MT09 is like sitting in an armchair the street triple is only slightly canted forward.

More bike related stuff

What a world we live in where a 900 is considered a middleweight suitable for a newly qualified rider.

When I passed my test (back in the dark ages), 500-650 was considered middleweight, 750 and above were big bikes for the more experienced riders.

Edit : and a genuine 100bhp at the back wheel was practically unheard of.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 5th January 2024 at 14:05.

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Each to their own
    Yeah it's definitely a case of this, trying to understand why I choose one thing over another is always like understanding non-euclidean geometry: possible but probably not worth the effort. Even the very lovely Steve at Miles Kingsport was nonplussed that I'd prefer the 500F to the 750 Hornet with its multiple modes etc.

Edit, a few months back I transcribed some of what Schaaf said on his YouTube review-ette of the 500F

Almost all modern Honda feel very confidence-inspiring when it comes to handling and geometry. Obviously, this CB500F here is no exception. It might even be the friendliest among its A2 rivals. It's THE bike that comes to my mind when being asked about the most beginner-friendly options out there. It's hard to find a bike in this class that can be handled with such ease. It takes zero force to enter a corner. Its power delivery is linear and very predictable. Brake performance is powerful but not aggressive. Going through the gears feels super satisfying since it's working precisely and in a crisp manner. The suspension contributes to its forgiving nature - it provides decent damping comfort, especially when compared to some of its rivals. Compared to my 1994 model, the modern version is the much better bike. 30 years of bike evolution has brought us vastly improved suspension, more stability, way better brakes, and a much easier to control throttle response. The CB500F is one of the best options when looking for a bike that offers the most worriless riding experience possible.
    Last edited by Der Amf; 5th January 2024 at 14:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    What a world we live in where a 900 is considered a middleweight suitable for a newly qualified rider.

When I passed my test (back in the dark ages), 500-650 was considered middleweight, 750 and above were big bikes for the more experienced riders.

Edit : and a genuine 100bhp at the back wheel was practically unheard of.
    When I passed my Direct Access - I almost bought a new Honda SP2 !

As it was - first bike was a BMW R1100s BCR (100bhp).

Hoping to get to Leyburn tomorrow morning - is Manor Farm Cafe just to the north the obvious place for a cuppa and a leak?

Craftsman
    Great to be out on the trails again, a bit soogy in places though....

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Had to laugh... some classic sound effects as he negotiated gradients and hairpins

I just recounted a lengthy anecdote regarding the pub at the start, a belly full of beer and bundling my late father into a minibus full of netball players.

Unfortunately when I hit submit I got a database error so you'll have to fill in all the details yourselves as I'm not sure I have the time nor energy to retype it all

The Met Office told me some sweet little lies, so I rode up to Northallerton, across to Leyburn and down to Masham, mostly in drizzle. The weather over the Dales told me to hop it, so I discarded those vague thoughts. At the moment, I'm the only bike here....

FWIW...get an old knacker as a starter bike.
    About 30% the cost of a new one.
    You'll avoid getting yourself stressed about slow speed drops doing u turns etc.
    Keep it for about 6 months...thrash the nuts off it....then establish exactly what you're looking for from a point of comfort/economy/practicality etc..
    Will give you a great grounding to move forwards from.

Very reasonable advice and the result of (possibly) expensive experience. Unfortunately the only way to get experienced is to make mistakes. A bit like when you look back on (some of) the watches you bought, the girls you dated married?)…
    As I believe he is no spring chicken, my advice would be YOLO.

Hoping to get to Leyburn tomorrow morning - is Manor Farm Cafe just to the north the obvious place for a cuppa and a leak?
    It was, btw

Finally got out on the bike

Bit nippy, but the snowflake is pretty

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Finally got out on the bike

Bit nippy, but the snowflake is pretty
    Just LOVE these bikes, Ian, and was so close to opting for another instead of the T120. How are you finding it?

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Just LOVE these bikes, Ian, and was so close to opting for another instead of the T120. How are you finding it?
    I've spent far too much on it [1] since buying and and done far too few miles [2]. Pretty much par for the course I reckon.

I'll not pass judgement just yet as I need to need to get a lot more miles under my belt, but as the road salting starts here this evening we might have to wait for spring to get a full verdict. The only thing I'm sure about at the moment is that I would appreciate much higher bars and that's not easy.

Why do no road bikes have bars like they did in the 70's?

[1] Ohlins front and rear, rear tyre (puncture), nav fitting (fitted), 2 quad lock mounts (not fitted), 2 handlebar risers (one fitted the others fitted then removed), rev counter, BMW tail bag, Unit Garage rack & top box...

[2] Brought it home (5 miles), round trip to Aberystwyth (about 220 miles, split with son and last 30 miles with a puncture), dentist and back (3 miles), 2 trips to Birdlip (24 miles)

I've spent far too much on it [1] since buying and and done far too few miles [2]. Pretty much par for the course I reckon.

I'll not pass judgement just yet as I need to need to get a lot more miles under my belt, but as the road salting starts here this evening we might have to wait for spring to get a full verdict. The only thing I'm sure about at the moment is that I would appreciate much higher bars and that's not easy.

[1] Ohlins front and rear, rear tyre (puncture), nav fitting (fitted), 2 quad lock mounts (not fitted), 2 handlebar risers (one fitted the others fitted then removed), rev counter, BMW tail bag, Unit Garage rack & top box...

[2] Brought it home (5 miles), round trip to Aberystwyth (about 220 miles, split with son and last 30 miles with a puncture), dentist and back (3 miles), 2 trips to Birdlip (24 miles)
    Stop being so fussy! That sounds bloody frustrating though.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 8th January 2024 at 05:49.

I would appreciate much higher bars and that's not easy.

There you go!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203648026...mis&media=COPY

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Perfect.

Ordered!

Another bike recommissioned and given a polish, ready to go. Beast of a bike but very cool…

Quote Originally Posted by hhhh View Post
    Another bike recommissioned and given a polish, ready to go. Beast of a bike but very cool…

Love a PD

I had the use (friend was doing his military service on the Jeanne d'Arc (French Navy)) of the first generation of R 80GS. I absolutely loved that bike, to the point that a few years later I got myself a R100 GS Bumble Bee. Loved it although maybe not quite as much, but it could be because it was a) a long time ago and b) it ended its life in the back of a small Vauxhall who suddenly decided to stop in the middle of a turn on a wet B road in North Ballachulish. Never knew why he stopped, didn't see an animal crossing or anything, and never got a chance to ask.
    Spent a few (painful) days recovering in a B&B in Fort Williams before taking a coach to Glasgow to rent a car, come back for Mrs SJ and drive to Dover Harbour; A friend was waiting for us in Calais to take us back to Paris as neither of us was really mobile (wounded knee for me, broken ankle for Mrs SJ. It could have been worse.

The R 80GS is on my list of the bikes I might decide to buy when finances allow, alongside a California and a road airhead with a sidecar. The latter would have to be when we're back in France though to have it on the right side.
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 7th January 2024 at 19:10.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Open offer below.

I was surprised how many bikes where out today.

I was cold wearing two down jackets in my car (have to try keep my heart warm after my stint in the hospital).

Lots on the way to H cafe,I went past to see if anyone I knew was there,didnt stop for the famous five though.

Carried on to the Riverside Cafe (they have been kind/helpful to me lately) but the car park was full and the water was high.

So went to a Costa instead.

Anyway it got me thinking,I live quite close to H cafe,not in Berinsfield thankfully that used to be a rough old place.

If anyone does get into difficulty bike mechanics wise or health wise and need some where to fix their bike or even leave it for a bit.

I have a purpose build Motorbike shed with lots of tools,work bench (one inside one out),vice,good lighting,temporary tyre patches,heating,even some whitworth/AF spanners for old bikes,hard standing,HD locks and covers.
    Just about every tool you might need short of a lathe and the like.

I have an ABBA stand with bobbins for my Kawasaki and a motrax front fork stand.

In a pretty safe/quiet neighbourhood,I also know all the local bike shops locations.

Anyone is welcome who rides a bike and needs a bit of help (the real world isnt the same as the internet world).

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Open offer below.
    A generous offer at that!

Master
    Blog Entries
    This just came up its a big chain of bike shops.

Blade Motorcycle Group

·
    Due to unforeseen circumstances Blade Motorcycles Swindon is temporarily closed.
    For more information or any urgent enquiries, please call 01793 500259 or email customerfeedback@ha-limited.co.uk

Well, the Daytona Roadstar boots are now back with Motolegends, but I did note that the Max Sports GTX (that's the short version with the heel inlay) was reduced from £389.95 to £311.95 at Sportsbikeshop. A quick call to Motologends and they applied their 10% price beat and sold them to me for £280.75.

Great deal IMO, and I hope that these shorties will become my go-to boots (just need to check the fit as the Roadstar was the tiniest bit wide on me).

Master

That is lovely. Have long considered adding an R80 or R100 GS to my garage. Yours looks ace! Anything specific to look out for in your experience?

Great bikes, but if that is the kind of bike you are contemplating, have a look and compare the Aprilia Tuareg, a very under the radar bike. If you want to stay under 600cc for tax and insurance bracket, then the Honda is a very good choice. Itchy Boots is only a slip of a thing and she could handle hers quite happily.

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    That is lovely. Have long considered adding an R80 or R100 GS to my garage. Yours looks ace! Anything specific to look out for in your experience?
    Im no expert I’m afraid. This one was low mileage, all original and pretty minty so was a bit of a no-brainier.

I was always told that Beemer air-heads were pretty bulletproof though, although I’m sure several vastly more eminently qualified Tzer’s will be able to give you some proper and helpful advice.

One thing I can say with certainty though, is this thing is built like the proverbial.

I was always told that Beemer air-heads were pretty bulletproof though, although I’m sure several vastly more eminently qualified Tzer’s will be able to give you some proper and helpful advice.
    Exhaust valves can fail occasionally and the starters can be a weak point.

Carbs need to be kept clean and final drive splines lubed but that's about it.

Master
    Test fitted the speed twin front end on the bobber….👍

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    One thing to be aware is rufty tufty Adventure bikes often come with 80/20 tyres eg 80% road but with a “ bit” of off road potential.
    So, a similar question — do tyres like those give any benefit when on an especially crusty bit of road, eg

(especially when it's damp) or do the benefits, again, only kick in once you're off-road?