closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Acceptable to buy fake watch as home break-in decoy?

Master
    Funny you say this as a mate who’s a jeweller said to me years ago he has done this for years and recommended doing it , fake watch and a few quid on top of a chest of drawers.

Who knows , just be careful nowadays .

A decoy safe (a cheap one) with some loose items within - in one of the usual favourite places (stair cupboard, main bedroom wardrobe) poorly secured to the woodwork………… is probably more effective.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    A decoy safe (a cheap one) with some loose items within - in one of the usual favourite places (stair cupboard, main bedroom wardrobe) poorly secured to the woodwork………… is probably more effective.
    I had exactly this when we lived in Colombia. Safes are designed to delay, and burglars usually want to be in and out in as little a time as possible.

Mind you, the armed guards patrolling the apartment complex were probably a bigger deterrent.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    No idea what that means sorry.
    Cajones means 'drawers', not what you and he thought!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Cajones means 'drawers', not what you and he thought!

M
    Oh well, every day's a school day :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    I thought the go to position on here was to be vehemently anti fakes?

I have carried two wallets one with just a bit of cash and an old library card in case I was mugged.

When I joined up we had a Yorkshire lad used to carry two cigarette packets.

He kept one cigarette in one packet so if anyone asked him for a tab he could say it was his last one.

The culture among the smokers (most of us) was to huddle round on the edge of the parade square on fag break and share.

He was as you can tell a bit tight.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I would not be happy supporting a company that likely uses sweatshop labour and is clearly breaking the law.

Keep your watches hidden or in a safe
    No need for the fake.
    This is a pretty thin argument in these days if profit above all. I'll bet the workers in Cobalt mines would love a job putting fake watches together. Especially the 7 year olds... :0(

So let's hope you don't drive an EV

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    That’s a coincidence - I always a put a Honda Jazz body kit on my 911 whenever I drive anywhere to stop me getting car jacked.
    Ive seen a number of 911’s with Honda Jazz body kits on them. You are all hiding behind the performance arm of Honda….outrageous

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    This is a pretty thin argument in these days if profit above all. I'll bet the workers in Cobalt mines would love a job putting fake watches together. Especially the 7 year olds... :0(

So let's hope you don't drive an EV
    That makes no sense.

Not wanting to buy a product that might have been made in a sweatshop or may be supporting criminal activity is a thin argument because other industries use similar practices, so in order to save the poor souls we should put them in another factory making other illegal products with equally dubious labour standards?

I think I can see a common problem here.

For what it’s worth, no I most definitely do not drive a EV, nor would I. Nor do I crave the latest tech.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 3rd February 2024 at 14:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolawinston View Post
    Don’t let the things you own, own you.

If you are not comfortable wearing or keeping a luxury item in your home then don’t!
    Hear , hear...it is simple being happy, it can be difficult keeping things simple.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    I thought the go to position on here was to be vehemently anti fakes?

I have carried two wallets one with just a bit of cash and an old library card in case I was mugged.

When I joined up we had a Yorkshire lad used to carry two cigarette packets.

He kept one cigarette in one packet so if anyone asked him for a tab he could say it was his last one.

The culture among the smokers (most of us) was to huddle round on the edge of the parade square on fag break and share.

He was as you can tell a bit tight.
    When my Bil was at Uni in New York he and his mates always carried separate on their person an amount of muggers money...The fag trick is a classic even when fags were as cheap as chips used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by marksh View Post
    …a few quid on top of a chest of drawers….
    This doesn’t work if you are married. You will need to replenish daily.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    That makes no sense.

Not wanting to buy a product that might have been made in a sweatshop or may be supporting criminal activity is a thin argument because other industries use similar practices, so in order to save the poor souls we should put them in another factory making other illegal products with equally dubious labour standards?

I think I can see a common problem here.

For what it’s worth, no I most definitely do not drive a EV, nor would I. Nor do I crave the latest tech.
    Just putting things in to perspective. There are so many "legal" industries that take advantage of child labour and Sweatshop conditions it's not an argument to make alone IE fake watches = bad practices. And another side of the Sweatshop and child labour argument is that a lot of families need those jobs to survive .

It's a very unfair world that appears to be getting worse regarding taking advantage of those with less.

So taking a stand against Fake Watches on the basis of Sweatshop/child labour Is a thin argument IMHO...

Strong no from me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by michael.jaye View Post
    Although my watches aren’t kept out on display and are hidden away safely still pondering this as it may encourage a potential burglar to leave sooner and to not ransack every room.

Have others also considered this and does this reason make it acceptable to buy a fake even though funds feed the fire of more fakes. The watch will not be worn.
    I don't quite agree with your premise that buying a replica watch for that reason contributes to their continued existence, if that's what you mean. People buy them because they like them and that market won't dry up. If it makes you feel safer, that's all the justification you need. I've got an old fake Deepsea you can have for free if you like, I never wear it. That way the evil drug gangs and ruthless child exploiters won't get their hands on your hard-earned. Just send me an IM.