closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: TZUK Running Club

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by M3NTALIST View Post
    Managed to get my first overseas Parkrun in Florida yesterday morning. Met some nice people from all around the world and even managed a half decent time for my current level of fitness, the difference 15 degrees will do eh.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Hi, which one in Florida?

Master
    Training started in earnest here for my local half in April, can anyone guess what happened in mile 2?? :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Training started in earnest here for my local half in April, can anyone guess what happened in mile 2?? :-)
    Hills do worse than that to me. You did good. And recovered from it very well it seems.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    Hills do worse than that to me. You did good. And recovered from it very well it seems.
    There is a hill there, but it's not that bad -- actually took short, lost 30 seconds to the call of nature lol

Woke up this morning to see the news that Kelvin Kiptum has been killed in a car crash. Sad news and a loss to running.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    Woke up this morning to see the news that Kelvin Kiptum has been killed in a car crash. Sad news and a loss to running.
    Very sad. Had the world literally at his feet

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    I was really shocked when I heard this. What a loss to world athletics and more importantly to his family and friends. So sad.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post

Fantastic pace, I’m miles off.

11 miles for me today still base building and getting some strength back.

Yep, like everyone so sad to wake up to the news. Who knows what this year could have been like for him, I think he was well placed to have a real shout at sub 2.

Pitch

Master
    Terrible news re Kelvin Kiptum, such a sad loss.

I joined the TZ running club as I have yet again started running again.

My main sport is cycling, for which I do a lot of training, so I'm pretty fit.

So why running? Well I have always liked it, albeit I'm no speed merchant and inevitably at some point injury (often not even related to running itself) knocks it on the head. Also, at my age (59) it's good to do something with some impact to help keep the bones strong.

Usually, given I am fit from cycling I just go out and do 5k, suffer for a few days, then rinse and repeat until it gets easier. Last year I did this , but the after effects were pretty bad and I lost the impetus pretty quickly, as it felt like I was going to end up injured. This time I decided to take the couch to 5k approach, but starting at week 5. So far so good, although my wife complained that my last 5k run/walk was quicker than her run! Fingers crossed I can keep it going...

Blog Entries
    Good luck with the C25K fella, just really dial the pace back as much as you can. Your cycling mechanics are quite different from running and although your engine is no doubt great it’s about building strength for a different activity. I see so many new runners who see great gains in speed and then keep the hammer down, injury is inevitable.

Just build miles, really easy miles, lots of miles before loading the body fully. A few strides at the end of your runs when warm will get the body use to leg speed and what it feels like.

I run with some exceptional cyclists who migrate between the two sports extremely well and I threaten every year that I will kick the cycling off but just manage a few rides. They all take the p!as about the work of art hanging on my garage wall constantly, I might shock them this year. LOL.

Enjoy

Pitch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Good luck with the C25K fella, just really dial the pace back as much as you can. Your cycling mechanics are quite different from running and although your engine is no doubt great it’s about building strength for a different activity. I see so many new runners who see great gains in speed and then keep the hammer down, injury is inevitable.

Just build miles, really easy miles, lots of miles before loading the body fully. A few strides at the end of your runs when warm will get the body use to leg speed and what it feels like.

I run with some exceptional cyclists who migrate between the two sports extremely well and I threaten every year that I will kick the cycling off but just manage a few rides. They all take the p!as about the work of art hanging on my garage wall constantly, I might shock them this year. LOL.

Enjoy

Pitch
    Thanks for that, a lot of people I cycle with have moved to some extent from running to cycling due to knees etc., but quite a few still do some running.

At one point a few years ago I was doing both quite regularly and although only running twice a week was building nicely to a 1h45 half as my endurance levels from cycling were high. Annoyingly injured my knee (unrelated to either) two weeks before the event and that was that!

My trouble is I'm a bit one paced so struggle to go slow or fast...my running intervals at the moment are around 5:15-5:30/km which is what feels comfortable...full gas I'm probably 5:00/km plus or minus a bit!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post
    Hi, which one in Florida?
    It was Clermont Waterfront, really enjoyed it and hope to do another at the weekend in Tampa. Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by M3NTALIST View Post
    It was Clermont Waterfront, really enjoyed it and hope to do another at the weekend in Tampa. Fingers crossed.

Excellent. I did Weedon Park Reserve last Saturday and really enjoyed that one. It’s very close to Tampa.

Master
    Well got the run/walk done today...feel like it's time to just go go running, but that said easing in to it has worked well so will probably stick with the c25k for now. Legs feel good so I think that little bit of recovery in the middle makes the difference.

Basically 5k in 31:30m including 8 minutes of walking today.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    Well got the run/walk done today...feel like it's time to just go go running, but that said easing in to it has worked well so will probably stick with the c25k for now. Legs feel good so I think that little bit of recovery in the middle makes the difference.

Basically 5k in 31:30m including 8 minutes of walking today.
    Well done, sub 30 is a big one and it looks like it’s coming. Just keep it very easy.

Pitch

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Well done, sub 30 is a big one and it looks like it’s coming. Just keep it very easy.

Pitch
    Cheers, next run/walk tomorrow hopefully, will be a bit more running I guess.

It's full on at the moment as I am trying to regain cycling fitness too after being being injured for a while, to get ready for Mallorca end of April. Tonight was a TTT that I found harder than it should have been, but not very well fuelled and had Tuesday's race and Wednesday's run in the legs.

Next dilemma, do I do 65 or 100k on Saturday!

Craftsman
    Excellent. I did Weedon Park Reserve last Saturday and really enjoyed that one. It’s very close to Tampa.
    Yes that’s the one, Weedon Park.
    Did you stay in the area? I’m looking at spending a night down there (I’m in Orlando ATM), Busch Gardens on Friday but don’t know what to do Saturday after Parkrun.

Craftsman
    I got to Weedon today, managed a decent time for me at 26:20. Met a few people from around the states and a lady from Manchester. A very enjoyable Parkrun.