closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Advice for Square G-Shock for a first time buyer

Hybrid View

Craftsman
    Do the recent solar models come with an 'auto light' function when you turn your wrist? (Apologies if its been mentioned but I can't find the details)

Some of my old ones...

I think all the squares are good. It's hard to go wrong unless you pick a colour you hate. Even then, you can swap the bezels and bands (there is a 'compatibility chart' on the inter webs somewhere, showing which are interchangeable).

In summary of my own experiences:

The dark background ones ("negative display") can look in photos and in the shop under spot lighting, but are hard to read in other situations.
    The non solar ones are very slightly more legible. I think the display is perhaps slightly closer to the crystal. It's only noticeable side by side.
    The GW-5000 has a much softer strap. But the watch itself is noticeably heavier.
    There are endless special editions... it's easy to begin to collect. Be warned :D
    Don't overlook the basic DW-5600. The battery lasts years and years. It is resolutely what it is.

There is just something about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Some of my old ones...

I think all the squares are good. It's hard to go wrong unless you pick a colour you hate. Even then, you can swap the bezels and bands (there is a 'compatibility chart' on the inter webs somewhere, showing which are interchangeable).

In summary of my own experiences:

The dark background ones ("negative display") can look in photos and in the shop under spot lighting, but are hard to read in other situations.
    The non solar ones are very slightly more legible. I think the display is perhaps slightly closer to the crystal. It's only noticeable side by side.
    The GW-5000 has a much softer strap. But the watch itself is noticeably heavier.
    There are endless special editions... it's easy to begin to collect. Be warned :D
    Don't overlook the basic DW-5600. The battery lasts years and years. It is resolutely what it is.

There is just something about it.
    That was wonderful post - thank you so much!

Yes, I have to admit I do return to the simple appeal of the DW-5600.

No, the GW-5610U doesn't have the auto light function which is a shame as I really like that feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    Do the recent solar models come with an 'auto light' function when you turn your wrist? (Apologies if its been mentioned but I can't find the details)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    No, the GW-5610U doesn't have the auto light function which is a shame as I really like that feature.
    ?? Mine does; rotate the wrist and it lights for 3 secs. The light duration is a configuration option, maybe the auto light function is as well, but I can’t say I’ve looked.

WRT straps you can buy straps adapters for a couple of quid and then use any 22mm strap of choice such as a NATO.

I’ve tried all sorts but I’m currently wearing mine on a Barton elite silicon which is a very nice combination in my opinion.

Update. The auto light function is enabled/disabled by pressing the top right button for 3 seconds.
    Last edited by timor54; 29th February 2024 at 17:11.

Quote Originally Posted by timor54 View Post
    ?? Mine does; rotate the wrist and it lights for 3 secs. The light duration is a configuration option, maybe the auto light function is as well, but I can’t say I’ve looked.

Update. The auto light function is enabled/disabled by pressing the top right button for 3 seconds.
    Yep, can confirm that it definitely does!

If the the 5610U is available on Amazon for £88, that's a decent deal.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by timor54 View Post
    WRT straps you can buy straps adapters for a couple of quid and then use any 22mm strap of choice such as a NATO.

I’ve tried all sorts but I’m currently wearing mine on a Barton elite silicon which is a very nice combination in my opinion.
    That makes for a nice twist.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Yes it does. Press and hold down top right button for 3 seconds until LT appears on the screen.
    Last edited by oiljam; 29th February 2024 at 17:41.

I have a slim wrist and the 5610 is perfect. If you are buying from Argos, sign up for the marketing email and you will get a £5 discount voucher within a few minutes.

The strap is quite stiff but after a month or so, becomes very flexible and comfortable.

The date can be set to DD.MM on this latest version. The auto light is really good. The alarm volume is terrible. That’s the only real negative.

Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    I have a slim wrist and the 5610 is perfect. If you are buying from Argos, sign up for the marketing email and you will get a £5 discount voucher within a few minutes.

The strap is quite stiff but after a month or so, becomes very flexible and comfortable.

The date can be set to DD.MM on this latest version. The auto light is really good. The alarm volume is terrible. That’s the only real negative.
    Thank you - good tip. I can get a bit of discount from Argos too, so it might be the cheapest price overall.

Thank you for the info on the strap - I remember Casio watches from Argos years ago taking a while for the strap to break in!

You are absolutely right Liam - I never knew that.

Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    Yes it does. Press and hold down top right button for 3 seconds until LT appears on the screen.