closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The hot weather always brings these tragedies :(

Hybrid View

The hot weather always brings these tragedies

^^^As mentioned above, many (but no all) who drown in rivers and lakes of the UK are competent swimmers.

It is the cold shock that gets them. An early May Day when the air temperature is 27 degC, and you take a dip to find that the water is still not much above 10 degC.

https://www.rya.org.uk/water-safety/cold-water-shock

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    ^^^As mentioned above, many (but no all) who drown in rivers and lakes of the UK are competent swimmers.

It is the cold shock that gets them. An early May Day when the air temperature is 27 degC, and you take a dip to find that the water is still not much above 10 degC.

https://www.rya.org.uk/water-safety/cold-water-shock
    ... adding to that: a friend of mine is professional fire fighter (he used to be a Navy diver). One of his tasks is training fire brigade crews. During that training he always asks how often hypothermia happens during a hot summer. Long story short: nearly every day of the year. During a very long hot summer season, perhaps 5 or 6 days are hot enough. But for the most, the Dutch weather (± UK weather) and hypothermia go hand-in-hand 360 days/year.

So I guess that your observation is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    ... adding to that: a friend of mine is professional fire fighter (he used to be a Navy diver). One of his tasks is training fire brigade crews. During that training he always asks how often hypothermia happens during a hot summer. Long story short: nearly every day of the year. During a very long hot summer season, perhaps 5 or 6 days are hot enough. But for the most, the Dutch weather (± UK weather) and hypothermia go hand-in-hand 360 days/year.

So I guess that your observation is correct.
    Sorry maybe a typo, what's the distinction between the thing that happens 5-6 days and the thing that happens 360 days? Ta

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=M1011;6398373]Sorry maybe a typo, what's the distinction between the thing that happens 5-6 days and the thing that happens 360 days? Ta[/QUOTEt

Only 5/365 days are 'safe' (as in 'hot') enough to stay out of the hypothermia condition. (Obviously: Provided you're found and rescued within the time the Fire Brigade normally needs to save a person).

[QUOTE=thieuster;6398385]
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Sorry maybe a typo, what's the distinction between the thing that happens 5-6 days and the thing that happens 360 days? Ta[/QUOTEt

Only 5/365 days are 'safe' (as in 'hot') enough to stay out of the hypothermia condition. (Obviously: Provided you're found and rescued within the time the Fire Brigade normally needs to save a person).
    Ive given it up now but until a few years ago i was a scout leader, one of the old guys who was there from the early days always warned the group about hyperthermia risks on hot days….not that health and safety would allow it nowadays anyway but back in the 70s, midsummer, cracking hot day and the group were on a scout camp, they were dipping in and out the river all day, early evening they found one of the lads shaking like a sh*tin* dog. This was before mobile phones and they were quite some way to the nearest pay-phone, they made a few of the lads jump in a sleeping bag with him to get his body temp up whilst someone went for help. Quite scary how you can get in to trouble when you don't expect it.
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 20th May 2024 at 21:24.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Ah makes sense - thanks