closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's see your guitars

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Seems a very good spec for very little money.

Where do you plug it in?

Joking aside, you deserve a bit of quality guitar time after that ordeal you have just been through.
    Thanks Neil you're not kidding ordeal was the word, anyways now am happy to pluck away until the next internal job, but in the mean time meant to say was talking to Steve the owner of CC Music in Glasgow, known him since the 80s and he was telling me they are actually made in China shipped back to the USA for finishing and then shipped onto the sales outlets and can still make a profit on them, God what are they paying the poor sods in China.......... a bowl of rice/week. I'm thrilled with the quality of it, so in the middle of polishing the frets and lowering the saddle to get my favourite height at the 12th fret.... 2mm

Quote Originally Posted by munchies View Post
    God what are they paying the poor sods in China.......... a bowl of rice/week.
    As I often say to my wife, if they started paying a decent wage in China we wouldn't be able to afford anything!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Here is my new acquisition...

Sweet Axe - which model is it?

I've been keeping an eye out for a Strat for some time now. I thought i'd bought a cracker from Curly Music in Liverpool but it was a Partscaster and they tried to sell it to me as a straight US Standard. I had a bit of a kerfuffle about that and i eventually got my money back. This is what kept me away from Fenders. I was always scared of putting my money into a nice one only to find it had been chopped and changed. A bit of research on the relevant forums and internet did little to convince me otherwise. This is why i wanted to buy from a dealer and even then i got burned.

OK, when i got this it was an '05 Fender Mexican Strat with HSS in a tortie scratchplate and in reasonable to good condition. I fancied a beat up old Strat but could'nt stretch to one (not many can) so i did this to it:

I know some do not like 'Relics' but this looks and feels so good to me. It is mine after all! Sounds as good as it looks as well with a set of BKP Irish Tours!

Looks good to me. If nothing else, you've got yourself a lovely 'beater' there.

When people buy a new relic, do they worry about keeping it mint condition?

Quote Originally Posted by therooster View Post
    Sweet Axe - which model is it?
    Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro - with ProBucker 2 and 3 pickups & coil tapping.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Like watches a few have came and went over the years. I can't part with my Epiphone Sheraton and my latest acoustic is a joy to play. I have an old Sigma 12 string too but that doesn't get much use.

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer Lee View Post

I know some do not like 'Relics' but this looks and feels so good to me. It is mine after all! Sounds as good as it looks as well with a set of BKP Irish Tours!
    As you have got the Irish Tours in you should go the whole hog and strip off all the paint.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

As you have got the Irish Tours in you should go the whole hog and strip off all the paint.
    It did fleetingly cross my mind but i did'nt want people to think i was doing a Rory copy (not that i give a stuff what people think) but i still wanted it to look 'used'.

Cheers,
    Neil.

NGD Neil? Top-wrapped beaut!

NGD Neil? Top-wrapped beaut!
    No, my old LP Spence.

Nothing on today so I thought I'd try and get a half decent pic but didn't really succeed as it looks far more flamey in real life.

I always top wrap it.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    I've started the hunt for a Gibson Les Paul in Sunburst Orange...I was going to buy a Epiphone Les Paul Special Edition but for a few extra hundred I should be able to get a Gibson....then I'm never buying another guitar again lol

Quote Originally Posted by hotbaws View Post
    I've started the hunt for a Gibson Les Paul in Sunburst Orange...I was going to buy a Epiphone Les Paul Special Edition but for a few extra hundred I should be able to get a Gibson....then I'm never buying another guitar again lol
    That's the spirit!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman

That's the spirit!
    I just hope my wife never reads this...

You have some amazing guitars Neil so if you come across a Sunburst Gibson LP please PM me
    Last edited by hotbaws; 7th October 2013 at 13:18.

When you say a 'Sunburst Orange', do you mean something like this:

If so, it is a Heritage Cherry Sunburst and you should be able to pick them up reasonably easily.

Craftsman
    When you say a 'Sunburst Orange', do you mean something like this:

If so, it is a Heritage Cherry Sunburst and you should be able to pick them up reasonably easily.
    Spencer!!!

Exactly the model I'm after.

Dude, for some reason they are not the most popular colour way on LP's even though i personally see it as THE classic Les Paul finish. It's quite divisive and is sometimes referred to as a 'clown burst' but, to be honest, in the flesh, the red is more burgundy (no, not Ron!). Anyway, mine is a late 2006 model and i've seen HCS versions similar to this going for criminally cheap prices. Good luck in your quest, i don't think you can go wrong with one of these.

Some of those cherry sunbursts are definitely in clown territory Spence but not yours.

Get a scratchplate and some pickup covers on it and it will look great.

What year and pickups? What weight?

Flame on!

Cheers,
    Neil.

Dude, for some reason they are not the most popular colour way on LP's even though i personally see it as THE classic Les Paul finish.
    For me, this is the classic finish:

The '59 'burst would be my view of the classic LP finish too. Somehow or other even though its my favourite (alongside the Alpine Custom) I have yet to own one. I do have a PRS SE245 in a close approximation now, but am considering losing a few to get me a custom shop R59.
    Oh and I think my Orville is bordering on clown burst territory, has to be my least favourite finish of the ones I own. But it plays like a dream...

I agree that one of the most Iconic of finishes is the '59 burst but, to me, it is equal to the HCS. This is one i used to have:

plain top honeyburst

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    For me, this is the classic finish:

Lovely.

Although of course that was originally a cherry sunburst, it is just that red faded on those old models
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    Dude, for some reason they are not the most popular colour way on LP's even though i personally see it as THE classic Les Paul finish. It's quite divisive and is sometimes referred to as a 'clown burst' but, to be honest, in the flesh, the red is more burgundy (no, not Ron!). Anyway, mine is a late 2006 model and i've seen HCS versions similar to this going for criminally cheap prices. Good luck in your quest, i don't think you can go wrong with one of these.

Spencer,

If you see any going for a criminally cheap price please PM me :-)

nice time for me to jump in!

the original 59's were indeed cherry sunburst, but the aniline dye used in the red reacted to UV, causing the red to fade, hence we now have ice tea burst. I had gibson build me a custom quote with the same colour as the page, is normally called Jimmy page burst, however it's also called bourbon burst if you see it.

The new Gibsons i've just had have gone back to using these dyes, so hopefully you'll now get fading and dye changing over the course of many years!

Quote Originally Posted by ghosty View Post
    nice time for me to jump in!

the original 59's were indeed cherry sunburst, but the aniline dye used in the red reacted to UV, causing the red to fade, hence we now have ice tea burst. I had gibson build me a custom quote with the same colour as the page, is normally called Jimmy page burst, however it's also called bourbon burst if you see it.

The new Gibsons i've just had have gone back to using these dyes, so hopefully you'll now get fading and dye changing over the course of many years!
    Cheers for that Mike.

About time you treated us to some pics of your stuff.

I would particularly like to see the LP's.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I agree that one of the most Iconic of finishes is the '59 burst but, to me, it is equal to the HCS. This is one i used to have:

plain top honeyburst
    That's lovely. I'm not really a fan of flame tops / bookmatched tops on Les Pauls.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    That's lovely. I'm not really a fan of flame tops / bookmatched tops on Les Pauls.
    Yeah, i'd have liked to have kept hold of it but it was way too heavy for me. My boy liked though:

.........though i think he preferred my SG!

I love 'bursts on Standards but on Customs I think black or white are the definitive colours.

Possibly because of the binding and fancy accoutrements.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

.........though i think he preferred my SG!

He's about the same size as Angus too!

Things have change a bit since the last time i took a pic of the man-cave. I've had the acoustic nearly a year, the Cabronita shortly after they were released and the Strat and LP Standard in the last four months or so.

Just one more to go now and that will be my Squier '51 project guitar which i hope to get finished either just before or just after Christmas.

Like your man cave Spence!

I keep meaning to buy something new but the three leccies I have just about do me although I would like a vintage type Strat with 7.25" radius.

I still have that virtually unplayed Ovation semi acoustic I bought new in the early 90's. A complete mistake, not my scene at all.

I must try and boot it out sometime to make way for something else or stick it on SC but I'm so idle.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Let's see your guitars: Snowy White edition:

That Gold Top ...

Craftsman
    I have sold everything but my beloved Strat. This thread is now too painful :o(

Also down to one watch so have a tough decision to make - PRS Santana or Rolex Explorer for the birthday?!!

Quote Originally Posted by therooster View Post
    I have sold everything but my beloved Strat. This thread is now too painful :o(

Also down to one watch so have a tough decision to make - PRS Santana or Rolex Explorer for the birthday?!!
    That is a tough decision.

I'd go PRS personally, you can't play a watch!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Yeah, i'd have liked to have kept hold of it but it was way too heavy for me.
    Exactly the same reason I got rid.
    My last two standards were both 08s I think and within a few frames of each other so obviously had some kind of factory standard weight relief to bring them down to around the 8-3/4 lb mark. The heaviest one was an 87 Custom that passed 10 lb and was a monster.

My latest squeezes are a CS Closet Classic 72 RI Tele at a lovely 7-1/2 lbs and a USA Standard Sunburst Tele. I've sold my old G&L and just need to say goodbye to the Jap 72.

A few changes since this picture: the Norman went, replaced by a Martin Eric Clapton, also sold.The Mandolin was donated to a local youth. The Parker was sold, but I've just got another one. The '64 fender, Adamas, Andy Manson, baby Taylor and Yamaha all remain.

Actually really pleased to be getting another Parker: amazing guitars to play if you've never tried one..

In historical terms, also had a Hugh Manson tele, a Yam SG2000 and a 2000 Les Paul. Liking the current mix a lot, but I would put either a PRS Hollowbody in there, or another SG2000
    Last edited by Hubs; 2nd December 2013 at 04:43.

Craftsman

Use to see these being sold in my mums catalogues , brought back loads of memories!

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
    Hi all

I know a few people on here either play or collect, or both, so let's see your guitars. I think we've had a similar thread a long while back, but there's plenty of new people around these days who may be able to add some pics and info.

Here's one I bought this morning at the boot sale. Only a Kay, but it kicks out a surprisingly chunky sound. Shame the tremelo arm was missing, but I couldn't leave it behind for £15.

So, let's see you axes 8)

Cheers

Foggy

Quote Originally Posted by Hubs View Post

A few changes since this picture: the Norman went, replaced by a Martin Eric Clapton, also sold.The Mandolin was donated to a local youth. The Parker was sold, but I've just got another one. The '64 fender, Adamas, Andy Manson, baby Taylor and Yamaha all remain.

Actually really pleased to be getting another Parker: amazing guitars to play if you've never tried one..

In historical terms, also had a Hugh Manson tele, a Yam SG2000 and a 2000 Les Paul. Liking the current mix a lot, but I would put either a PRS Hollowbody in there, or another SG2000
    Nice old Fender Mustang.

All original?

Is it the 24" scale or the shorter one?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Nice old Fender Mustang.

All original?

Is it the 24" scale or the shorter one?
    I bought the Mustang nearly thirty years ago, no case or trem bar, but complete. It's on original wiring except for one replacement switch. The neck is dated 3 august 1964. The neck has 22 frets, scale length 24 inches (had to go measure it - never done that before!) Others might come and go but the Fender stays!

I bought the Mustang nearly thirty years ago, no case or trem bar, but complete. It's on original wiring except for one replacement switch. The neck is dated 3 august 1964. The neck has 22 frets, scale length 24 inches (had to go measure it - never done that before!)
    Thanks for the info

Others might come and go but the Fender stays!
    I don't blame you!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Just bought a Yamaha FX370c electro acoustic!

The pic makes it look faded, it isn't it's my lack of photographic skills that's causing it

John

Some great additions to the thread recently, thanks for sharing guys. John, that Yamaha looks good. I've recently been researching acoustics as #1 son has expressed an interest. Thats Jed by the way, Lowan pictured earlier with the LP and SG has a new electric coming for Christmas. He wanted a specific guitar and i hunted one down for him. Not really my thing but it certainly attracts atention!

Anyway, back to the Yamaha. Everyone has great things to say about the build quality and playability of the Yamaha acoustics and i'm annoyed that it surprises me. The Pacifica has been one of the most popular guitars for some time and the amount of pros i see live playing Yamaha acoustics outnumber almost every other make. Nice one bud, how you finding it?

I always fancied a Yamaha LA-8, which was a bigger than parlour guitar, handmade in japan; used to be around, never see them now. The two electric yams I've had have been excellent, I'd be happy playing one!

Well, I'm impressed with you lot!
    I just love listening to guitar.

Some great additions to the thread recently, thanks for sharing guys. John, that Yamaha looks good. I've recently been researching acoustics as #1 son has expressed an interest. Thats Jed by the way, Lowan pictured earlier with the LP and SG has a new electric coming for Christmas. He wanted a specific guitar and i hunted one down for him. Not really my thing but it certainly attracts atention!

Anyway, back to the Yamaha. Everyone has great things to say about the build quality and playability of the Yamaha acoustics and i'm annoyed that it surprises me. The Pacifica has been one of the most popular guitars for some time and the amount of pros i see live playing Yamaha acoustics outnumber almost every other make. Nice one bud, how you finding it?

Hi Spencer

This Yammie is a little high on the action, nothing a setup won't put right

My lads first electric was a Pacifica and it was fantastic for the money

Cheers, john

Just collected my new to me 1996 Parker Fly. From a US dealer on e-bay, it's like new, with all accessories it would have left the factory with and a mint booklet. And, for those who have never played a Fly, it's perfect; buttery smooth fretboard, weighs 4.5 lbs, huge sustain, easy bending, great vibrato, neck access to 24 frets, great hum bucking, coil tapped and acoustic tones. A joy. Very happy!

There are some excellent guitars here guys. Sorry to hijack the thread slightly but I was wondering if anyone can tell me the name of a guitar equivalent of TZ (if such a thing exists)? Thank you!

I don't play guitar, but a good friend of mine does, and seeing as LPs seem really popular here I thought some of you might like seeing these. They are his in his band's space. He must have a hundred guitars, but his favourite, both on and off the stage, are the LP Silverburst. He has 3. The two here are tuned differently and the one on the left is quite known.

Journeyman
    My Guitars but then again im Irish
    Attached Images Attached Images