Thread: Paying firms with cash

Threaded View

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Practice makes perfect
    For dentistry and painting
    Neither are rocket science tbh.
    You know what?...that's one of my favourite phrases that I give on my feedback comments.

Problem is.....the emphasis now is on covering your back, risk assessing, warning patients that they might cock it up, heading off medico-legal problems at the pass.

If you do all that you spend a lot less time carrying out the practical clinical aspects of dentistry.

You can tick all the boxes to cover your back...or do a load of dentistry & gain lots of practical experience...but you can't do both.

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Hey, we might cock it up but at least we warned you that we might cock it up

This is the reality...when I qualified 40 years ago I left dental school having done about 150 fillings (one of my colleagues thought about 200). We were half decent dentists when we left dental school. Now they have to have done a minimum of 12 fillings. That's eff all....& after 5 years of study!

The downside is that we never did a risk assessment. Didn't have any 'tick boxing' to complete. Didn't get the patient to decide the best option. "you're the bloody dentist FFS' Many a time I'm crossing my fingers hoping that the clueless patient makes the correct choice....I wouldn't dare to override my landscape gardener....he's the damned expert in his field....albeit in a miniature scale to my own...but even so...

We wrote 3 lines max in the notes....we wrote the important stuff...not a load of 'stating the bleeding obvious' crap.

Things have got to change....
    Last edited by trident-7; 26th April 2024 at 22:27.